| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1792, 1793, 1794, 1795, 1796, 1797, 1798 ... 1900  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:08 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

ijustdiedinside wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
I have a policy of never texting people between the hours of 9pm and 9am, unless I know for sure they will be awake. If it's urgent, then I wouldn't be sending a text, and if it isn't urgent then it can wait until the next day.

this is a good policy! actually any kind of communication that isn't an emergency should be limited to email between these hours. as someone who has had their fair share of actual emergency phone calls that ended up being really bad stuff, i freak the eff out when i hear my phone at off times. i got a spam phone call last night at 11:25, which woke me up and i got this horrible panic feeling in my stomach, and then i just got really pissed.

Oh man, I'm so with you on that. If my phone rings between about 10 pm and 8 am, I just assume that something horrible has happened and a family member is dead or in the hospital. I've always gotten that sinking feeling when I get calls at odd times, and then one time it was my mom calling to tell me that my dad had died in an accident. So late calls are NOT okay with me anymore at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:42 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The Dum Dum Girls are playing free in Brooklyn a week from Sunday! So excited.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:45 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

If any native speakers of US English have a few minutes to spare (like, max. 5), I need a couple more people to take this survey so I can wrap up a project: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1672345/S ... ories-2014 Not for mobile devices! Some people have reported pictures or words cutting off. If you see that, it's a tech issue which survey gizmo couldn't resolve.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:11 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I keep wanting to take this, but I'm almost always on a mobile device. :(

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:20 am 
Seagull of the PPK

am i the only turkey who turns off the cell phone at night? my colleagues mostly seem to be vampires, so i get woken up by skype whooping in the middle of the night if i don't -- "are you up? do you have a minute?". And emails, and phone calls, and text messages (okay, i have a land line, that only close friends and family have, so maybe i'm just lucky to be able to)
now i am responsible for a help line during the world cup and i have sticky notes all over the place saying DON'T TURN OFF THE CELL PHONE. I'm sure I'm going to turn it off and miss something dreadful and important.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

on a separate note....

I'm a bit nervous about today. A few weeks ago I had a job with an agency that was a disaaaaaaaster. Poor management and lack of communication when setting up the job led to a big mess and everyone left with egg on their face (not vegan, yes, i know). However, no matter how unhappy they were, i did my job the way i normally do, and the person who hired me had already worked with me and knew how I work. So, bla bla bla, they owe me money for this job.
Instead of doing it all via phone and email, which I figured would lead to me getting angry and telling them to go to hell (again) and losing the $3000 they owe me, I decided to do something different and scary: I said how about we all meet for coffee to discuss it. They were all sort of taken aback but liked the idea. Good, right? Except the owner will be going, and I know from skinny-around-town that she is a money grubbing nasty beast and all the trouble stemmed from her. So, scary as shiitake. But I feel kind of hopeful. This is something I wouldn't have had the guts to do a few years ago. Whether I get the money or not, I'm doing what's right.

Acting like an adult: it's scary. Hold me, PPK.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:46 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It's not just you, torque. I put my cell phone into airplane mode AND turn off notification sounds when I go to bed. (I don't actually turn it off in case I want to use it because it takes so long to start up again.) I've got friends in various time zones and while they don't text me (usually ever), I do get e-mail notifications. And my night owl partner likes to send me links or play wordfeud in the middle of the night so I also get notifications about that.

If it's something really important, my mom and dad both have my and my partner's landline numbers.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:00 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have an app that automatically silences my phone at night and while I'm at work. Works like a charm! It's called Silent Time, but I'm sure there are others out there.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:26 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I sleep through notifications so it doesn't bother me at at all, so long as it's in silent mode. it's my clock and alarm too, so being on helps for that too :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

A friend of mine is going on a trip to Ibiza with her older cousin. She is 27, he is 41. This is her first trip ever and it's with the most irresponsible person I know. I'm stressing hard about it more and more as the date approaches. I'm sure everything will be just fine but I still can't stop worrying.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:07 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

lobsteriffic wrote:
I have an app that automatically silences my phone at night and while I'm at work. Works like a charm! It's called Silent Time, but I'm sure there are others out there.

I love silent time. I don't have problems at night, but it saves my sanity at work. And you can set exceptions for certain phone numbers so they still ring.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:50 pm 
Saggy Butt

torque wrote:
am i the only turkey who turns off the cell phone at night? my colleagues mostly seem to be vampires, so i get woken up by skype whooping in the middle of the night if i don't -- "are you up? do you have a minute?". And emails, and phone calls, and text messages (okay, i have a land line, that only close friends and family have, so maybe i'm just lucky to be able to)
now i am responsible for a help line during the world cup and i have sticky notes all over the place saying DON'T TURN OFF THE CELL PHONE. I'm sure I'm going to turn it off and miss something dreadful and important.

I leave mine on Flight Mode so I can call 999 quickly if I wake up and the house is on fire (I work for the FS so I can be a bit OTT about it).

π

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:59 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have my phone in silent mode at night. If there's a real emergency my parents and siblings have my landline number. I don't switch it off because it is my back-up alarm (okay, it's my second back-up - I'm paranoid about oversleeping and being late for work).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:08 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Do you think it'd be a problem if I put my goal for the next year as "survive it" on my self evaluation at work? Because that's all I'm feeling right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:13 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

a dude with a tattoo on his face of the state of california sat down next to me at the bus stop today and asked "what's a browser? this says to copy and paste into browser? what do i do?" I showed him where to paste whatever it was into the browser on his phone. random.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:19 pm 
Chip Strong

ijustdiedinside wrote:
a dude with a tattoo on his face of the state of california sat down next to me at the bus stop today and asked "what's a browser? this says to copy and paste into browser? what do i do?" I showed him where to paste whatever it was into the browser on his phone. random.

This is a nice story. I like those little random, yet harmless, moments with strangers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:20 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Amazing. You'd think someone with a tattoo of California on their face would know that. I'm curious about what happens to his ink if this ballot proposition goes through in November and divides California into 7 states.*

*it won't go through. It is ludicrous.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

he'll need to get that shiitake fixed pronto! or maybe he'll want to keep it old school. i allllmost started a conversation with him about being from california, but decided against it. what if he just had the tattoo on his face to remind him how much he hates california?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:14 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I applied for a sort of promotion/change of role at work that I really, really want, but I'm worried I'm not qualified enough and have gone a bit anxious.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ijustdiedinside wrote:
what if he just had the tattoo on his face to remind him how much he hates california?

This made me laugh so bad that I am sure the neighbours heard me.

I used to have the do not disturb thingy on my phone because I used to get texts that used to disturb my delicate sleep enquiring how I was. I had to take it off then last year when my aunt died incase of any possible family emergencies. Unfortunately my aunts husband used to make the occasional how are you type phone call at 11pm in the night because he couldn't sleep and was upset and then would get upset because he would think I was angry at him over something when in actual fact it was because I was barely conscious because of medication I was on and I would be so out of it that I wouldn't have realised that I would have been on the phone for 10 minutes with him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:36 pm 
Chip Strong

Hey body, I am so glad you decided to start feeling better AT 10PM. Now to make up for the time lost by feeling shitty all day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:34 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

angry, disappointed but not unsurprised about Japan wanting to whale again. something about cultural heritage/history. fork that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:35 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Still got this stupid rheumatism attack/infection stuff going... this will be an interesting 25th birthday tomorrow :/

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:31 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So I've done a bit of reading for college, done a bit of house work, made some pretty good soda bread and watched some TV. That totally means I should go for a nap right now right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:43 am 
WELFARIST!

That's exactly what that means.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1792, 1793, 1794, 1795, 1796, 1797, 1798 ... 1900  Next