| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46884 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1802, 1803, 1804, 1805, 1806, 1807, 1808 ... 1876  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:39 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Because the last days of school are pointless and stupid, especially since grades are already in, we are doing "enrichment days" where students pick from lists of classes/ activities to go to.

I'm doing a dinosaur session where we are using word roots to see how dinosaurs are named and then making our own in play doh, plus I have plastic dinosaur toys and real dinosaur poop.

Thing is, I only have my old students! Boo! I'm happy to see my kids, but was looking forward to meeting a new group or kids for next year too. On the bright side, I guess this means my students liked me/my class!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was super convinced I sat in something because there was a dude on the bus staring at my butt for the entire ride, got back to where I am staying, checked, nothing on my asparagus. turns out the dude was just staring! Bleh, I've had that happen a lot less since I've been in Germany so it took me by surprise :( I wish I could just be invisible in public sometimes.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:48 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

booberthefraggle wrote:
I was super convinced I sat in something because there was a dude on the bus staring at my butt for the entire ride, got back to where I am staying, checked, nothing on my asparagus. turns out the dude was just staring! Bleh, I've had that happen a lot less since I've been in Germany so it took me by surprise :( I wish I could just be invisible in public sometimes.

I find this happens a lot with me, when I walk and people pap me in their cars I freak and think maybe my skirt is tucked into my pants or something? But nope, it's always just idiots honking away.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:56 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

booberthefraggle wrote:

dudes can see things on other spectrums than you so you probably sat in infra-red stuff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:33 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

My roommate is so cute, she always songs so loud and joyful when in the shower. And whistles. So sweet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Nebraskalaska wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
on my 5th visit to Native Foods while I was visiting my sister, the sandwich I got was gross, which is pretty not normal for Native Foods. It was a new menu item and I'm thinking maybe they just had no idea how to actually make it? I feel dumb for not sending it back. I ate some parts of it and then left the rest. I shoulda returned it, dammit. Oh well, I did tell a waitress and also just emailed the company.

Was it the muffalata? I got that last night and it was soooo boring.

yes! i emailed them about it. not sure if the one i went to messed it up, but it was sooo greasy. i picked it up and the bread was soaked and oil was dripping out of it, plus it was super bland. i told them all of that in my email. maybe they'll put some money on my card? if they do, i'll let you know. i was so bummed they took off the reuben.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:16 pm 

so, let's say you sent your mom a video of you singing/playing ukulele for mother's day and then she sends it to all of her friends and then one of them says to you "we saw your video! you were so in tune!" what the heck is that supposed to mean?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:33 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

since i know that one person at the boyfriend's work is gluten free i always try to send a gf item to the potlucks. well, tomorrow is bagel day, i could not find gluten free & vegan bagels so i just bought vegan ones....but i am sending home made strawberry jam & vegan cream cheeze - both gf...

i only wish others would go through that trouble for my boyfriend.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:40 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I'm experiencing Phantom Dog Syndrome. I'm so used to having Pepper at work that I'm really caught off balance. Every time the clock reaches certain points (potty break, mail run), I almost catch myself saying out loud "okay, Pepper, you ready to go for a walk?" before remembering she's not here.

Pepper is fine, by the way, she's hanging out at home with the new dog, keeping her company and making new dog's first stay at home without me less scary.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:21 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I'm experiencing Phantom Dog Syndrome. I'm so used to having Pepper at work that I'm really caught off balance. Every time the clock reaches certain points (potty break, mail run), I almost catch myself saying out loud "okay, Pepper, you ready to go for a walk?" before remembering she's not here.

Pepper is fine, by the way, she's hanging out at home with the new dog, keeping her company and making new dog's first stay at home without me less scary.
This was happening to me all day because we were out late last night and Lucy stayed over at her BDF(best dog friend)'s house and the spent most of today playing there. I kept finding myself looking for/talking to her until she got home this afternoon. This is one of my most compelling reasons for working at home; I can't write as well at the library or in my Tufts office because I like being with my dog 24/7!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:41 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

How do people do the Nancy Grace show without telling her to shut the fork up? She is constantly interrupting and making obnoxious comments.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:32 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

ijustdiedinside wrote:
so, let's say you sent your mom a video of you singing/playing ukulele for mother's day and then she sends it to all of her friends and then one of them says to you "we saw your video! you were so in tune!" what the heck is that supposed to mean?

Last year's mother's day I sent a video to my mom of me singing and playing the ukulele! So when I read this I thought you were alluding something about me, naturally ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:57 pm 
WELFARIST!

I need to go to the bathroom but I'm too tired to get up and go.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:06 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:

That you are an awesome daughter?

I relate to office dog companionship withdrawal. When my office dog is out chasing stuff instead of sitting by my feet, I catch myself having lengthy (albeit absent) conversations with her. Even more awkward is when I'm actually addressing one of my cats, who is glued to my side at home all the time and who I talk to a LOT.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... bor?page=3

I'm crying right now. I wish more people boycotted amazon. It's such a bad company, from every angle I can think of. Yet when I tell people why I boycett them they always shake their head because it's "unrealistic to only shop at good shops". Yeah, I know that thinking because I get it about veganism and feminism and everything else that's important, too. Uh, I should probably just open a thread about it instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:19 am 

VeganinBerlin wrote:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor?page=3

I'm crying right now. I wish more people boycotted amazon. It's such a bad company, from every angle I can think of. Yet when I tell people why I boycett them they always shake their head because it's "unrealistic to only shop at good shops". Yeah, I know that thinking because I get it about veganism and feminism and everything else that's important, too. Uh, I should probably just open a thread about it instead.

Thanks for sharing. I really like to support local and/or independently-owned smaller shops and I get a lot of people saying that I'm crazy, those shops are more expensive, etc.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:41 am 
WRETCHED

VeganinBerlin wrote:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor?page=3

There was a thread a couple years ago and it may have even been on that article. If you search, you might be able to dig up the old thread. Someone on the PPK's husband works at Amazon and talked about how it is a great company to work at and how some newly acquired warehouses were a bit rough until they were automated. I think there have been a mix of reports in the media on people who say that it is great and others who have had poor experiences. Is it due to just difference in automation? Possibly.

Oh I found it and it is on the same article
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19186

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:30 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I like my crazy more expensive local shops.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

linanil wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

There was a thread a couple years ago and it may have even been on that article. If you search, you might be able to dig up the old thread. Someone on the PPK's husband works at Amazon and talked about how it is a great company to work at and how some newly acquired warehouses were a bit rough until they were automated. I think there have been a mix of reports in the media on people who say that it is great and others who have had poor experiences. Is it due to just difference in automation? Possibly.

I realize that amazon is so huge there will be different work experiences, but even if half of the workers feel it's fine, the other ones aren't any less badly treated.

It's not the only reason amazon is a shitty company, so it's not the only reason I boycott them. But the lawsuits against amazon here in Germany from workers would be enough on their own, for me.

Thanks for the link :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:16 am 
WRETCHED

VeganinBerlin wrote:
linanil wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

I realize that amazon is so huge there will be different work experiences, but even if half of the workers feel it's fine, the other ones aren't any less badly treated.

It's not the only reason amazon is a shitty company, so it's not the only reason I boycott them. But the lawsuits against amazon here in Germany from workers would be enough on their own, for me.

Thanks for the link :)

Well it was just my impression that those with bad experiences may have worked in places that hadn't been updated yet because Amazon has grown so quickly that they had to buy many warehouses out rather than build their own every time. But I agree that Amazon should take workers concerns seriously in the interim between buying a warehouse and updating it. Other points in the thread is that distribution centers for brick and mortar stores aren't much better.

I also agree with trying to shop at local, independent stores but those are growing less and less.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I dont know what brick and mortar stores are. I know I always come with a German perspective and I know I work in a small bookshop. It's just that I know the place where our books come from and it's not even in a comparable league to amazon warehouses. I guess it has more to do with the size of the warehouses, though, which way they are operated.

I mean, independent stores are mostly growing less and less because of amazon (some others, too, but mostly amazon) at least here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:25 am 

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I dont know what brick and mortar stores are.

It just means actual stores, like where you work, as opposed to a virtual store.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

It is t just Amazon or even Walmart. My mom worked in a place just as awful 20 years ago, a luggage/leather goods/handbag regional distribution center. She lasted a month, which was apparently nearly a record. My dad had similar experiences working for the company that had the printing contract for state lottery tickets. They had so many labor violations and were frequently fined and inspected, but nobody cared as long as quotas were met cheaply. People were fired for leaving the printing press lines to go to the bathroom (lovely at will state).

It often seems like most employers are crappy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:07 pm 

Some bus stop fun. A guy came up to me and said he's homeless and wants some food. He showed me his greencard from kenya for some reason. I didn't have anything, so I went and got some bananas from a fruit stand. When I brought them over to him he said "no thanks. I'm trying to get some baked potatoes, I'm from texas"

Sure, why not? I have some bananas now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:42 pm 

Bananas are good, I guess. How odd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46884 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1802, 1803, 1804, 1805, 1806, 1807, 1808 ... 1876  Next