| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1807, 1808, 1809, 1810, 1811, 1812, 1813 ... 1874  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:18 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Pinko wrote:
Oh, fireworks. So delightful when I'm watching you, so annoying when I'm just listening to dillholes shoot you off. All night. For weeks.

I live in an area with A LOT of refugees. So I think it is safe to assume that there's quite a lot people with PTSD. In Denmark it is tradtion to use fireworks on NYE and it is only legal to use it from December 1st til January 5th, which is far too long already. Anyway, people start using them in like early November. Dillholes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:26 am 
Seagull of the PPK

In the US as well I saw some nice anti-firework ads that appealed to people with pets as well as respect for returned veterans who would rather not hear or see fireworks. Why did it take 30+ years for people to realize that maybe not everyone enjoys explosions?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:44 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My area in Indiana is right on the Illinois border. They don't sell fireworks in Illinois (or at least not in Chicago, maybe?), so the border is lined with fireworks stores. There are billboards everywhere and people standing out by the street holding signs and waving flags trying to get you into their fireworks stores.

I think I'm going to have to just stay home with my dog the rest of the week. She's been getting so upset.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:52 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am going to my moms for a few days. There will be a huge fireworks show. And the idiots who mistake their guns for fireworks.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:21 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

it's thundering so loud and I'm home alone. I don't know why I'm terrified of thunder, but I am. I need a thunder shirt.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:06 pm 
Dead by dawn

Day 2 on the new job (day 1 actually in my department, with my new coworkers) and I've already been outed as 'the vegan.' We went to breakfast as a group and I just got something to drink because I'd already eaten. One of my peers asked me point blank if I had any dietary restrictions or things I didn't eat. How do you ask that within ths first half hour of working with someone?! They were all pretty OK with it and one person pointed out that no one in the developed world actually knows someone who's been diagnosed with a bona fide protein deficiency and that it must be annoying to be asked about it over and over again. But, ugh, I didn't really want to have a big hullabaloo about it right off the bat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Okay, its before 8pm and I'm taking ibuprofen PM for an earache. Oy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 pm 

m'toes, I totally understand! I am freakishly talked about every single damn day at my new job as the vegan. Except no one accepts it--they think it's insane and even tell me to my face that I might have an eating disorder (don't EVEN go there, people). It sounds like your coworkers are more reasonable!

Jess, I fell asleep at 6:30pm with a horrible toothache and now it's midnight and I'm considering drugs.

Does anyone else have a super needy cat? The cats aren't allowed to sleep in our room because of my partner's allergies but one of my cats loses her shiitake if I'm ever away from her with a door closed--she'll just cry and cry for ages. It's actually pretty sweet (says crazy cat lady) but I've slept in our new bed once and we've had it for a month!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I have a date tomorrow...oi.

But my question is, PPK, he did the typical "let's go for a drink!" type deal. Which, okay, cool. I like drinking and all, but, honestly, I don't want to do it on a first date. I already asked if we could go somewhere puppy friendly, and I'm tempted to ask if he'd prefer to do something else- walk around a park, have a picnic, maybe buy some sidewalk chalk and draw? I don't know. Just not go to a bar and drink- I want to actually talk to him and not be worried about how much I'm drinking on an empty stomach, etc.

Suggestions on fun outdoor but not active date ideas with a dog? I can't take her to the dog park due to restrictions for obedience classes, but normal walking and parking is fine, just not off-leash.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:12 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita wrote:
Does anyone else have a super needy cat? The cats aren't allowed to sleep in our room because of my partner's allergies but one of my cats loses her shiitake if I'm ever away from her with a door closed--she'll just cry and cry for ages. It's actually pretty sweet (says crazy cat lady) but I've slept in our new bed once and we've had it for a month!

Olive will cry and body slam the door. I've attempted waiting her out before (she keeps me up every single night so it would be nice if she wasn't in my bedroom) but she'll keep it up for over an hour.

They just love us so much! Or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:13 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

missdelaney wrote:
I want to actually talk to him and not be worried about how much I'm drinking on an empty stomach, etc.

you can always drink non-alcoholic drinks :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:47 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

joshua wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
I want to actually talk to him and not be worried about how much I'm drinking on an empty stomach, etc.

you can always drink non-alcoholic drinks :)

someplace awesome with your dog!

i like the idea of a picnic/sidewalk chalk meet up, with or without kites.
you could also just take a walk in the park. natureboy and i did that on our first date. it was rad!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:01 am 

strawberryrock wrote:
vijita wrote:

Olive will cry and body slam the door. I've attempted waiting her out before (she keeps me up every single night so it would be nice if she wasn't in my bedroom) but she'll keep it up for over an hour.

They just love us so much! Or something.

Well that's what I choose to believe! Ha.

Lenny body slams the door in the creepiest way. I swear she's passive aggressive and is trying to hurt herself. Little demons. I love them so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have to put my boys in a bedroom on the other side of my apartment at night. They were excessively persistent in their demands to be in the bedroom (where the girl cats sleep...my cats get along on gender-lines). We have a new routine now. At bedtime I walk around talking about bedtime, grabbing their food bowl and a water bowl. I toss a couple kibbles in the food bowl on my way. They boys SPRINT to "their" bedroom because *food*! They fuss for awhile after that, but they settle down and sleep eventually. I thought they would catch on to the whole post-snack locking them up thing, but I was not blessed with very smart kitties, thankfully. It's worked for over a year now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:19 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Whenever I have a little bit of something like vanilla extract or maple syrup or whatever left on a measuring spoon, I usually plop it in my coffee cup because I don't want to "waste" it. But I inevitably forget it's in there and end up drinking the spoon and nearly choking. Every time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:20 am 
Dead by dawn

Miss D, a picnic at the Locks is puppy friendly and there's always good people watching.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:45 am 
WELFARIST!

monkeytoes wrote:
Day 2 on the new job (day 1 actually in my department, with my new coworkers) and I've already been outed as 'the vegan.' We went to breakfast as a group and I just got something to drink because I'd already eaten. One of my peers asked me point blank if I had any dietary restrictions or things I didn't eat. How do you ask that within ths first half hour of working with someone?! They were all pretty OK with it and one person pointed out that no one in the developed world actually knows someone who's been diagnosed with a bona fide protein deficiency and that it must be annoying to be asked about it over and over again. But, ugh, I didn't really want to have a big hullabaloo about it right off the bat.

This happened to me at my job interview yesterday, sort of. The interview went really well (except for when I highballed my salary...hoping that doesn't scare them off). Then at the very end, my friend who recommended me for the job in the first place was like, 'Did you tell L (the owner/interviewer) that you're a vegan chef whiz?' I mean, in a really nice way. But still. Then we had to talk about whether I eat anything 'with a face', and then oysters got brought up, and just... Blergh, don't want to talk about that right now!

Anyhow, kind of excited about this job. The commute would suck, so the salary would have to be worth it, but I'd love to have just one job. I find out Tuesday.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:47 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

As part of my new job there was a bit of first aid training, probably 5 hours, where the main things we learnt were how to put someone in the recovery position, resuscitation, and putting someone's arm in a sling. Today I was the only first aider on site when someone had been gashed by broken glass, and I hope it didn't show that I couldn't remember much about what to do for cuts. I just checked there was no glass actually in the wound and whacked a sterile bandage on as there didn't seem to be any plasters in the kit.

I feel nervous about having that responsibility! Maybe I'd feel better if I'd been on the longer course, I really don't feel like I learnt enough in less than one full day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Good luck on the job AP.

Ugh, 4th of July is one of my busiest weekends. I got two last minute cat sitting jobs. I should be grateful for the money but I just want to sit in the a/c and read.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:38 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm the worst at phone calls! I just called somewhere I want to volunteer at and left the most rambley ridiculous answer phone message. This is why I try to communicate via e-mail 99% of the time!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:59 am 
Dead by dawn

I hate leaving voice mails! I always start off fine, but I don't know when to just wrap it up so they end up all rambley and repetitious until I trail off... "so... OK then... yeah... bye..."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:01 pm 
And you never will.

I hate voicemails too, but for some reason there is one little thing helps me start off and end them better. I had a friend who left THE BEST voicemails back before everyone had caller ID, and I realized it was because he started the message with his name and his phone number, and then said whatever it was regarding, and then ended again with his name and phone number. It was the best because if you didn't catch the number at the beginning, it was at the end too, and if you didn't get it the first time you listen to the message (or didn't have a pen or whatever), you didn't have to listen to the whole message again to get the name and number. I don't know, it's probably stupid, but thinking of the message as a sandwich with my name and number on either end helps me get through it sounding less like an idiot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:28 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm not too bad with professional type voice mails, but if I leave a message for a friend I am completely flustered.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:42 pm 
And you never will.

Moon wrote:
I'm not too bad with professional type voice mails, but if I leave a message for a friend I am completely flustered.

Oh, that makes sense. With friends, I just call everyone "bisque" a lot to diffuse the awkwardness over the course of the message.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Date went well! We actually just wandered about for a while on the Burke Gilman, took the pup home when she got tired, and got one drink, which was perfect, and played Mario Kart.

I have today off, which is awesome, because I just cleaned the kitchen and the front room, and my room is next. Then I'm going to (finally) put my wall mounts up for my guitars. This all means I get to spend Sunday 100% relaxing, which I haven't gotten to do in two weeks.
AND! I had breakfast at Wayward this morning and they have new menu items...INCLUDING VEGAN EGGS BENEDICT. It was so good you guys.
And tonight I'm making the Field Roast frankfurters, Prospect Park potato salad, baked beans, roasted corn, and s'mores, and I bought the EB Kettle chips (both sour cream & onion and cheddar) and my roommate and I are going to hunker down with the animals and watch movies instead.

eta: AND I bought Vegan Sandwiches at Sidecar today. I'm so excited to cook everything in it.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1807, 1808, 1809, 1810, 1811, 1812, 1813 ... 1874  Next