| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1808, 1809, 1810, 1811, 1812, 1813, 1814 ... 1901  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've always thought it was pretty inconsiderate to shoot off fireworks any time other than the 4th of July, especially in an urban neighborhood, and even then, I get pissed if they're still going on much later than 10-11 PM. People need to sleep! Our dogs freak out! They're much more considerate here than they were in Tampa though. We'd hear them in the middle of the night there for weeks surrounding the actual holiday, but it's maybe a couple days before/after here, and still not more than a couple bangs at a time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's real cute when my mother goes completely off on me for looking at her weirdly and my entire family sits there avoiding eye contact silently, not wanting to stop her because she'll turn on them. now she's pouting because I wouldn't react. h a h a I love family time h a h a

SO FUN. YES. FAMILY. LOVE IT. DEFINITELY DOES NOT FEEL LIKE MY SOUL IS BEING SUCKED OUT VERY SLOWLY NOPE NOT AT ALL.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:32 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

boober, let's just be family, ok? Because I think we must have the same mother by the sounds of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just had to run to the store to pick up some stuff. When I was at the register, I heard someone say, "Hi!" and I turned around to see my friend's dad. Friend's dad is an older, very conservative man. He asked me how I was, and how my family was, and just as we ran out of small talk, the cashier held up a box of maxi pads and shouted, "I need a price check on these pads! Can I get a price check on these pads?" Another employee came over and took the box and went to go find the price. And it took for-fucking-ever. There were no other customers in line. Just me and friend's dad, standing there in awkward silence. Finally the employee came running back, waving the box of pads over his head and excitedly yelling, "I found it! I found the price on these!" I was trying so hard not to laugh. I felt like I was going to explode from not laughing. I paid for my stuff and said goodbye to friend's dad. As soon as I was out the door, I started laughing so hard that I was crying. The people in the parking lot probably thought I was nuts. Poor friend's dad will probably never set foot in a Walgreens again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:21 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

missdelaney wrote:
Date went well! We actually just wandered about for a while on the Burke Gilman, took the pup home when she got tired, and got one drink, which was perfect, and played Mario Kart.

I have today off, which is awesome, because I just cleaned the kitchen and the front room, and my room is next. Then I'm going to (finally) put my wall mounts up for my guitars. This all means I get to spend Sunday 100% relaxing, which I haven't gotten to do in two weeks.
AND! I had breakfast at Wayward this morning and they have new menu items...INCLUDING VEGAN EGGS BENEDICT. It was so good you guys.
And tonight I'm making the Field Roast frankfurters, Prospect Park potato salad, baked beans, roasted corn, and s'mores, and I bought the EB Kettle chips (both sour cream & onion and cheddar) and my roommate and I are going to hunker down with the animals and watch movies instead.

eta: AND I bought Vegan Sandwiches at Sidecar today. I'm so excited to cook everything in it.

That sounds glorious! It's funny, because I was just going to ask AP if there was a vegan sandwich cookbook. Between Salad Samurai, 365 Smoothies and that, I think I can actually start relying less on my pal Amy's. I also got a slow cooker for a work anniversary gift, so I'm thinking about getting the vegan slow cooker book.

I'm in West Virginia (my hometown), and it's so weird but kind of nice, too. The grocery stores are fully loaded with vegan convenience foods, so I'm getting plenty to eat! Everything is so, so different though. I guess I feel a weird nostalgia, sadness, embarrassment, and pride all at the same time. Does anyone else get the feels when they venture back to where they grew up?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:22 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have a quick survey for anyone who is bored.

What are the options you consider when you have clothes that are wrinkled that you would prefer not to be wrinkled?
What option are you most likely to go with?
Did you have a stay-at-home parent growing up? What did your parents teach you about unwrinkling clothes?

It's for science.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:24 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

If I had an iron, I'd iron them, but I don't, so I either wear them wrinkled and hope no one noticed, or I hang them up in the bathroom and take a shower. It sort of almost works!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:28 pm 

You didn't finish the second part of the survey! That's the science part.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

strawberryrock wrote:
I have a quick survey for anyone who is bored.

What are the options you consider when you have clothes that are wrinkled that you would prefer not to be wrinkled?

Wear them wrinkled, or stuff them back in the drawer and never wear them again.
Quote:

Just wear the wrinkled clothes, because I don't give a fork.
Quote:
Did you have a stay-at-home parent growing up?

Nope.
Quote:
What did your parents teach you about unwrinkling clothes?

Irons are terrible and no one should ever iron (my mom told me this), so if you really need something de-wrinkled, take it to the dry cleaners and pay to have it done.

My mom REALLY hates irons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

paprikapapaya wrote:
boober, let's just be family, ok? Because I think we must have the same mother by the sounds of it.

yes please!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:08 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

strawberryrock wrote:
You didn't finish the second part of the survey! That's the science part.

Oh, crepe! I had a stay-at-home parent for a while. My mom stayed home while me and my younger siblings were little. She didn't teach me the shower trick but sort of taught me to iron.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:27 pm 

I was just wondering because I was recently discussing all the non-iron ways to unwrinkle things (spray bottle and the shower trick is what I generally rely on) with someone who hadn't ever heard of these things! But she had a mom who ironed growing up. My mom worked a ton and I have never seen her hold an iron but she is all about the spray bottle. My dad ironed sometimes (I feel like it's more necessary for some fancy men's clothes) and I think taught me how at one point but I don't own an iron now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:56 pm 
Chip Strong

strawberryrock wrote:

I...just wear the wrinkled clothes. I guess I'm a barbarian?

strawberryrock wrote:

Wrinkles, barbarian-style.

strawberryrock wrote:
Did you have a stay-at-home parent growing up?

Nope.

strawberryrock wrote:
What did your parents teach you about unwrinkling clothes?

Not a thing! I have zero idea how to iron, but I think I might have read about steaming clothes while you take a shower in a book or something.

My sweetheart also had no stay-at-home parents but apparently ironed even socks as a kid.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:06 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I had a stay at home parent growing up who seemingly loved to iron. I'm 31 & I still don't own an iron, when I have to wear non wrinkled clothes (which is almost never!) I do the shower thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My mom feels everything ought to be ironed. I think this is partially a European thing, or at least a European of her generation thing.

She is always ironing my clothes despite my telling her not to (I'm not doing it with my back pain but there sure as hell is no reason for her to do it).

What is the spray bottle trick? I use the shower trick with skirts. I also buy the Ralph Lauren no iron shirts and they look great out of the dryer (my mom will iron those anyway if I don't intervene).

My mom was mostly stay at home, but she worked when I was out of elementary school.

Cardigans are great for hiding wrinkled things! Skirts I will iron because if you spend 20 seconds on the front and 20 on the back, it looks almost as good as if you'd ironed the whole thing. I don't wear pants.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:20 pm 
WRETCHED

My mom is also iron obsessed. I do think it is generational, not necessarily European.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:21 pm 
Married to the wolfman

When things are wrinkled, I think of my options as lazily steam and hand smooth, iron, or wash the garment again and pull it out of the dryer sooner this time. Sadly I am most likely to do the third thing.

My mom has always worked outside of the home and has also always been a crazy ironing devotee. It's a point of pride for her I think.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:29 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I usually just wear the wrinkled clothes because I'm lazy. I only bust out the iron if it's for a special occasion like an interview or wedding. and I find the shower thing doesn't help much. maybe my clothes are too wrinkled or my showers too cold/short?
I had a stay at home mom. I don't think she ironed my clothes, though--just my dad's. I guess she did tell us that folding/hanging up clothes after laundry keeps them mostly smooth. But I still don't do that. I just pull things out of the dryer and into a basket and just wear them from the basket. Laundry is my least favorite chore.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
My mom is also iron obsessed. I do think it is generational, not necessarily European.

I think the ironing socks, underwear, towels, and sheets might be though. She hasn't ironed anything beyond basic stuff for years though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:03 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My (non-stay-at-home) mother taught me to never buy things that require ironing as a rule. I even have washing machine safe suits that don't require ironing. She did iron regularly before non-wrinkle materials existed, but she wasn't happy about it. And at some point she switched over to wearing all knits for work instead of shirts - no wrinkling. My mother, who I am sure is older than many of the mothers being talked about here, was absolutely not interested in ironing and was not domestic at all, and neither was her mother, who also worked outside the home - this may be generational, but the ironing bug did not infect every family! She only ironed because appearances were really, really important to her (still are, and I think that part definitely is generational).

I am completely pissed off if I accidentally buy something that requires ironing and will get it regularly professionally laundered rather than iron it myself or I will never wear it again (I have also converted my husband to all non-wrinkle button down shirts for work, he used to have piles of shirts professionally laundered every other week; nobody in his house ever ironed afaik). If something gets wrinkled that should come out of the wash unwrinkled she taught me to stick it in the dryer with a wet cloth for awhile and the wrinkles will steam out. Since I don't have a dryer these days, I do the shower steam trick if it's not terribly wrinkled or save it to wear for after I do another load of laundry and can re-dry it.

My mother did teach me how to properly iron things, though, so I can do it in a pinch. And I do own an iron that is stored in a very inconvenient high-up place and brought down maybe once a year in an emergency. I've also been known on a couple of occasions to take a garment to the dry cleaners and get them to steam it while I wait (which oddly costs more than dry cleaning in the first place), then put it right on in their little tailoring changing area and wear it to work, if it's really an emergency.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:52 pm 

I like to put a wrinkled piece of clothing in the dryer with a wet washcloth. The steam and heat takes the wrinkles right out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

ScooterDiva wrote:
I like to put a wrinkled piece of clothing in the dryer with a wet washcloth. The steam and heat takes the wrinkles right out.

This. Hanging it up in the bathroom while showering is third. Otherwise I wear the wrinkled item. I don't even know where my iron is.

No stay stay at home parent for me!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:47 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

monkeytoes wrote:
I hate leaving voice mails! I always start off fine, but I don't know when to just wrap it up so they end up all rambley and repetitious until I trail off... "so... OK then... yeah... bye..."

Oh man me too! "Okee Dokee, yep, so give me call back, if you can, or you can text, or email, or it's cool if you don't respond - I'll just assume it's a yes, or actually you might have questions so I'll be here 9-5 Friday and Saturday... if you can't call back by then I'll be sure to tell my coworkers who are here sunday/monday... so hope this isn't inconvenient... okay have a nice day... okay I'm hanging up now..."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:02 am 

lavawitch wrote:
What is the spray bottle trick?

Just spray it with water, smooth it out a bit and let it dry. Or do it while you're wearing it, it will dry eventually. It's my default way to deal with wrinkled things.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:23 am 
Level 7 Vegan

strawberryrock wrote:

My options are wear it wrinkly, iron (I have a steam iron) or if it's a more fragile or involved item like a fancy dress or a suit, take it to the cleaner. These days I mostly go for option 1, although I kind of love to iron.

strawberryrock wrote:
Did you have a stay-at-home parent growing up? What did your parents teach you about unwrinkling clothes?

My mom stayed at home until I was in my teens and did all the ironing, but I don't think she taught me until I started wearing button-down shirts and linen pants myself, around the time she went back to work.

She did teach me about hanging clothes in a manner that limits wrinkling in the first place (we would hang dry shirts and knits directly on coats hangers - for knits it avoids clothespin marks). We never had a dryer and I have no idea how dryers affect wrinkling, if that makes any difference. And she also taught me that iron-free fabric look cheap and tacky (which I don want to be true but I still agree :( Wally only had iron-free shirts when we met and they look so dorky!)

When I got my first real job though, her main piece of advice, of all things, was "you make money - don't waste time on chores and go to the cleaners'!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1808, 1809, 1810, 1811, 1812, 1813, 1814 ... 1901  Next