| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1809, 1810, 1811, 1812, 1813, 1814, 1815 ... 1864  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:32 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Speaking of ironing - my brother, 25, who lives on his own but just a couple of streets away from my mom, still drops off his shirts for her to wash and iron. My sister and I have told her to stop, that she's not doing anyone any favors - not to him in the long run, not to herself, not to womanhood - but she insists that the poor boy needs time to relax after working so hard.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:41 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

strawberryrock wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
What is the spray bottle trick?

Just spray it with water, smooth it out a bit and let it dry. Or do it while you're wearing it, it will dry eventually. It's my default way to deal with wrinkled things.

That is a good tip. I may have to get a bottle, as it beats my emergency unwrinkling technique of wetting my hands and then trying to smooth out garments while I'm wearing them. I will iron things if I must but I'm really not very good at it.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Last edited by dropscone on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:43 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My mum was stay at home until I was about twelve, but she taught piano from home, and she did iron but I think mainly because she was worried things would accidentally be put away damp and go musty-smelling. We weren't well off and didn't have a dryer plus we had quite a damp house, any clothes or sheets going mouldy would have been a real drag.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:25 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I try really hard not to buy things that need ironing: the vast majority of my work clothes I never need to iron at all. Tee shirts I wear wrinkly for the most part and hope that the wrinkles will fall out as I wear them. My mum was stay-at-home when my siblings and I were small and then worked part-time. She did iron but hated it. She taught me to iron but also taught me the importance of folding things and putting them away properly so that they wouldn't require ironing. Now that we are all long left home and my parents are retired my dad does any ironing that is required in their house.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:41 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

strawberryrock wrote:
What are the options you consider when you have clothes that are wrinkled that you would prefer not to be wrinkled?

Ignore. Tumble it in the dryer with something damp. Steam it with the garment steamer I randomly own. If it's just a collar or a hem, I sometimes try to smooth it out with my hair straightener on a low setting. Also the shower trick, but it never really works. Iron only as a last resort.

Quote:
What option are you most likely to go with?

Ignore

Quote:
Did you have a stay-at-home parent growing up? What did your parents teach you about unwrinkling clothes?

My mom was mostly a stay-at-home parent when I was young but she hated ironing. There was an "ironing cupboard" in her sewing room where she would stuff all the clothes that needed to be ironed until it wouldn't hold another thing, and then she'd have these miserable marathon ironing sessions. She taught me to iron at some point, but she mostly taught me to take clothes out of the dryer promptly and how to do the dryer trick. And to avoid buying things that require ironing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

strawberryrock wrote:
What are the options you consider when you have clothes that are wrinkled that you would prefer not to be wrinkled?

Iron them, if there's time. If not, leave them on the table to iron when I get round to it.
There's a difference, to me, between clothes that have been ironed and are all crisp and sitting right and clothes that have been hung in a steamy room to try to hide the wrinkles. your mileage may vary.

strawberryrock wrote:
Did you have a stay-at-home parent growing up? What did your parents teach you about unwrinkling clothes?

Are the two things related? I had a stay at home parent, but not one who did any housework themselves, and I went to boarding school so I didn't really have much exposure to people doing houseworky things as a rule.

I remember learning to use an iron when I was in the Brownies, so around 9 years old, trying to win my "Homemakers" badge - oh, the 70's, you were super!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:41 am 
WRETCHED

strawberryrock wrote:
I have a quick survey for anyone who is bored.

It's for science.

I realized I didn't really do the survey.

Options - Buy clothes that don't wrinkle, take wrinkly clothes out of the dryer as soon as it stops and hang them. Like others mentioned, throw a wet towel in the dryer or throw the wrinkled items in a wet load of laundry about to be dried. Hang up clothes in bathroom while I take a shower And the last resort, is to iron.

I am most likely to go with taking clothes out of the dryer as soon as they are done.

My mom was a stay at home parent for a few years when I was young. My father was in the Army for most of their marriage and she mentioned that she had to iron and heavily starch his clothes. Even after my mom got divorced and was working 2 full time jobs, she still ironed though. And whenever we go visit, it is hard to get her not to iron my clothes and my husband's clothes. We didn't have a dryer growing up though so my mom only ironed, no chance to throw clothes back in the dryer but we hung ours on the line outside so usually didn't get wrinkly anyway. And also, my mom would refuse to buy clothes that were wrinkly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:20 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

You guys need a garment steamer (if you need to iron but hate it, it's really handy). I have the Shark handheld one- it heats up quickly and you don't need an ironing board.

(My mom stayed home for a few years, I don't think she ironed often. My dad started ironing his own work clothes at some point. I usually only steam wovens and dresses before wearing them, and only if they need it. If I don't have time to steam, I pick something else to wear.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have a garment steamer. So much easier than ironing.

I had no stay at home parent. I was born in September and my mom was a college professor so she had the fall semester off then went back to work. My parents arranged their schedules so, except for Mondays, one was home with me. (My dad was also a college professor.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My mom got a dehydrator for her birthday and we just tried it--kale chips. I think I can't like kale; I've tried. Am I a defective vegan? We got lovely dinosaur kale from the farmer's market and I pretty much think its the worst thing ever. I love practically any other green!

But we did have one success--I added some frozen corn since Molly loves the Just Corn stuff, and it came out great.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Did you do plain ones? I always do the ones on olives for dinner blog and they are so good even my veggie adverse parents fight over them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We've tried about 6 recipes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:15 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I really truly hate kale chips, yet I keep trying them in case... Maybe? I dunno, I like kale in general but kale chips are like eating yard waste.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Kale chips are super gross. Kale is otherwise delicious. It's like the dehydrator sucks all the good out of the greens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:34 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

You guys can gimme all your kale chips. I love 'em so much but never buy them because $$$ and rarely make them because Lazy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:35 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

^^^ Y'ALL CRAY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I feel vindicated. Molly will eat them though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:37 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

strawberryrock wrote:
I have a quick survey for anyone who is bored.

It's for science.

Stick it in the dryer or wear it wrinked. (Most common option is dryer). No stay at home parent. Parents just taught me ironing I think... I just don't like it. Dryer thing I figured out for myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I hate ironing and I'm super lazy. I just wear wrinkled clothes.

So this lady I was awkwardly crushing on two years ago came into my workplace today. It took me thirty seconds to recognize her and I actually screamed and ran over and hugged her and we just awkwardly stood, looking dopey-doe-eyed at each other and repeating the same questions over and over for about five minutes. She's been living in New York this whole time. I hope she texts me and we hang out while she's here.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:41 am 
Keepin' It Seal

So as I've posted before, I've been planning a big road trip from NY to Portland with two friends. We're leaving early tomorrow morning. One of my friends (the one who can drive) just backed out. On the one hand, it's great that I'll have more space in the car and I don't have to leave so many things behind. On the other hand, I was really looking forward to splitting the driving and costs with another person. She did offer to pay her portion of gas still, but I feel like it's shitty of me to accept that. I mean, I would have had to do this even if she didn't plan on joining from the beginning.
But mostly I'm just a little panicked to have major changes like this when we leave in less than 24 hours! And that I have to do all the driving myself. I probably would have picked a more direct route or planned for shorter stretches of driving every day. PPKers, please tell me that it's going to be fine. Or tell me stories about how your cross country trip got forked up but it turned out okay in the end.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:50 am 
WRETCHED

I think you will be fine but is there any possibility you can change your route? How many hours are you driving every day? When my husband and I drove from Colorado to Maryland, we drove for 8 hours each day. That seemed fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:51 am 
Bathes in Braggs

It sucks that she had to pull out but it will be fine. I am so envious - a cross country trip is life-changing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:08 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Ariann wrote:
Kale chips are super gross. Kale is otherwise delicious. It's like the dehydrator sucks all the good out of the greens.

This forever.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:29 am 
Keepin' It Seal

linanil wrote:
I think you will be fine but is there any possibility you can change your route? How many hours are you driving every day? When my husband and I drove from Colorado to Maryland, we drove for 8 hours each day. That seemed fine.

The longest stretch is about 9 hours. I can't change much because we already booked the campsites. but I might be able to cut that longest one into two if I have to and stay at yellowstone for two nights instead of three. I guess I'll play it by ear and see.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

You will be fine and it will be awesome and NY will miss you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1809, 1810, 1811, 1812, 1813, 1814, 1815 ... 1864  Next