| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1817, 1818, 1819, 1820, 1821, 1822, 1823 ... 2108  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:57 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

missmuffcake wrote:
boyfriend gets to shop at an organic farm stand every W right in his works parking lot. he said he did not know any of the veggies....um? i guess i need to get him flash cards or something?

They have those at Sobeys (grocery store here)! if he has a smart phone I bet there's an app.

Since it's a farmers market the farmers/vendors should be able to tell him what the veggies are, unless the vendors do not speak english well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:10 am 
Discovered unobtainium

This is such bullshiitake. I'm at a conference session that is supposed to be about project based learning ideas and strategies for the new GED science and social studies tests. It sounded great.

They are teaching us how to use PowerPoint. Uh, why don't these people already know?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:44 am 
Stepford Vegan

Arisaig wrote:

Since it's a farmers market the farmers/vendors should be able to tell him what the veggies are, unless the vendors do not speak english well.

i think i am going to make a list of things i am looking for and give him a few tips for next week. then he has something to go off. when we are at the store shopping for produce the last few times i asked him to pick the organic peaches he wanted out, he looked really puzzled and gave up pretty fast.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This conference thing really sucks. I have a little more perspective today, and it really sucks.

It is not nearly as accessible as it should be. I couldn't get to one building for the 1:45 session, so I'm sitting around with other people who also couldn't navigate the stairs, including a woman in a wheel chair. She was given a number to call for a cart pickup but decided it was too forking much trouble, which it is. I tried to get a cart this morning, but haven't seen a single one all day.

Also, lunch was potato salad and pulled pork sandwiches. Really? So, ok, no vegan or even vegetarian option, I can deal. But isn't serving pork as your only entree just a complete crasshole exclusionary move?

To make it all worse, this is such a waste of time. I was in a session this morning on oroject based learning strategies for the new enhanced 2014 GED. Ok, great! Except they were just showing us how to use PowerPoint. For fork sakes, we are education professionals--I think we all know how to use PowerPoint.

Another session was on unique strategies to engage adult learners, more specifically andragogy as opposed to pedagogy. Again, great! That's what I'm here for. But, for the three hour session, the person (who has a phd in adult and alternative education from a major university) just kept apologizing for any theory and pros missing to keep it as simple as possible. What the fork? I have a masters in education. I bet most people here do too. Why are we afraid of rigor? If not to inform our teaching practices, why are we here? Not for the lunch buffet.

Worst part: tax money paid for me to be here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

What is it that makes parents become nutty conservatives who quote Fox news 24/7??? My husband's father/stepmother and my parents are independently trolling us about immigration reform over text. We refuse to discuss politics with them and they know where we stand on the political spectrum yet they are trying to goad us into "debate".

I kinda want to respond that they're ignorant reactionary d-bags. Think what you want but at least read a newspaper first.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This is the description of a 90 minute session tomorrow in an auditorium of ~3-400. Can anybody translate into English? Because this sounds like gobbledygook to me and is not thrilling me to pieces at the prospect of getting up at 7am.

conference pamphlet wrote:
Through the use of personal stories, introspective questions, and reflective opportunities, speaker will be redefining leadership through the participant's reflection on their extraordinary potential in an interactive and energized way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:39 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

lavawitch wrote:
This is the description of a 90 minute session tomorrow in an auditorium of ~3-400. Can anybody translate into English? Because this sounds like gobbledygook to me and is not thrilling me to pieces at the prospect of getting up at 7am.

Through the use of personal stories, introspective questions, and reflective opportunities, speaker will be redefining leadership through the participant's reflection on their extraordinary potential in an interactive and energized way.

Sounds like a motivational speaker mixed with woo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm stuck on the "introspective in an interactive and engaging way" part. Maybe she is going to redefine introspective along with leadership?

I'm just not a good team player. I can't force myself to buy into this stuff. It all just seems like bullshiitake to me. Give me some concrete teaching strategies, especially if they are research based or data driven, or discuss some cool new education theory.

I almost lost it at the last session today. They taught us how to do longitude and latitude. Worryingly, some didn't know how to do it, and that is part of the GED curriculum. I feel that teachers should know their own curriculum.

Then, while giving some ideas about how to do engaging class discussions, started talking about environmental impact at Lake Anna and how we shouldn't be letting the power companies pollute it. It took great effort to keep my mouth shut since it was obvious this woman has no idea that Lake Anna was specifically built to cool the power plant. That's why it exists!

I started playing Threes and tuned the rest out when she said there is a volcano in Virginia but she didn't remember the name, so I tried to be helpful and supplied the name and said we don't need to worry too much since it's ancient and considered extinct, and she insisted I was wrong. I was a good girl and refrained from saying I've done field work on that volcano and have a geochemistry degree and actually know what I'm talking about. It was hard though because I wanted to be a bisque.

The conference in the fall was good, but this one sucked. I seem to have picked all the crappy sessions. I could do a better job.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Lw that description makes no sense. Sounds like bullshiitake. Skip it!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:37 am 
And you never will.

You guys, I feel like I'm in an episode of The X-Files.

I went into the kitchen to make a cheesecake. First thing I always do is switch on the oven, right? So I go turn it on, and I notice as I glance at the clock that it turns from 11:59 to 12:00. Nothing unusual. I walk away, and make the crust. I finish the crust, take it over to the oven and... it's not on. Huh, must have forgotten to press "start" or whatever. No big deal, turn it on. Except it doesn't start the preheat countdown, it just says "350" like it's already hot. I open it up and sure enough, it's hot. I have no recollection of turning the oven off. I don't even remember walking back over to where the oven is since I switched it on. Then I notice that the time is 12:16. But it only takes me 3-4 minutes tops to make a graham cracker crust and press it into the pan.

Where did the time go? Why was the oven off? Did I get abducted by aliens? Do I have a split personality? Not gonna lie, I'm pretty weirded out right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:54 am 
Level 7 Vegan

poopiebitch wrote:
You guys, I feel like I'm in an episode of The X-Files.

I went into the kitchen to make a cheesecake. First thing I always do is switch on the oven, right? So I go turn it on, and I notice as I glance at the clock that it turns from 11:59 to 12:00. Nothing unusual. I walk away, and make the crust. I finish the crust, take it over to the oven and... it's not on. Huh, must have forgotten to press "start" or whatever. No big deal, turn it on. Except it doesn't start the preheat countdown, it just says "350" like it's already hot. I open it up and sure enough, it's hot. I have no recollection of turning the oven off. I don't even remember walking back over to where the oven is since I switched it on. Then I notice that the time is 12:16. But it only takes me 3-4 minutes tops to make a graham cracker crust and press it into the pan.

Where did the time go? Why was the oven off? Did I get abducted by aliens? Do I have a split personality? Not gonna lie, I'm pretty weirded out right now.

You are in Memphis? If that is indeed correct you might have had an out of body experience with Elvis ... you could have been jailhouse rocking with him during those missing 11 minutes ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:57 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:

This is a perfect example of what the staff in my school refer to as "Edu-bollocks".

Your conference sounds horrendous, but unfortunately very typical. In the last 26 years, I have been to dozens and dozens of training courses/conferences, and I can count the truly useful ones on my thumbs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:56 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

couroupita wrote:
What is it that makes parents become nutty conservatives who quote Fox news 24/7??? My husband's father/stepmother and my parents are independently trolling us about immigration reform over text. We refuse to discuss politics with them and they know where we stand on the political spectrum yet they are trying to goad us into "debate".

I kinda want to respond that they're ignorant reactionary d-bags. Think what you want but at least read a newspaper first.

This is my dad! Back when I lived at home he wasn't really like that, but 12 years later he's super conservative and is always on about "immigrants" and how they are the cause of all problems.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:32 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lepelaar wrote:
I often wonder what other people at the health food store think of my basket. Usually theirs is filled with organic fruits/veggies/cheese/bread. Mine is filled with big jars of Veganaise, Tofutti slices, seitan burgers, and soy magnums, with nary a fresh item in sight, because I buy the rest of my groceries at the supermarket where it's cheaper. I really only go to the health food store to buy vegan stuff I can't get at the normal supermarket. I wonder if someone looking in there would think "Damn, vegans eat junk. Why not eat a vegetable once in a while?"

Soy Magnums?!?! I'm gonna need to go to Europe. We just got the dairy Magnum bars in the US about 3 years ago, and it was a glorious, glorious (not yet vegan) day. I did not know that soy versions existed! Are they amazing? Tell me more, tell me more!

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:37 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lw, your conference sounds awful! How many more days do you have to endure that?

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:16 am 
Married to the wolfman

Man, I love snooping other people's baskets at the store. That and the PPK are the only way I ever find out about new vegan stuff I haven't tried yet. Also, I like to try to find other vegans via basket snoop. This is something that has actually panned out on rare occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 am 
Discovered unobtainium

zelavie wrote:
lw, your conference sounds awful! How many more days do you have to endure that?

30 minutes!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

zelavie wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
I often wonder what other people at the health food store think of my basket. Usually theirs is filled with organic fruits/veggies/cheese/bread. Mine is filled with big jars of Veganaise, Tofutti slices, seitan burgers, and soy magnums, with nary a fresh item in sight, because I buy the rest of my groceries at the supermarket where it's cheaper. I really only go to the health food store to buy vegan stuff I can't get at the normal supermarket. I wonder if someone looking in there would think "Damn, vegans eat junk. Why not eat a vegetable once in a while?"

Soy Magnums?!?! I'm gonna need to go to Europe. We just got the dairy Magnum bars in the US about 3 years ago, and it was a glorious, glorious (not yet vegan) day. I did not know that soy versions existed! Are they amazing? Tell me more, tell me more!

They're not actually officially Magnums (which is a brand name) but that's kind of become a generic word here for ice cream on a stick covered in chocolate. They're from Naturattiva, an Italian brand that also sells soy hard ice cream, soy cornettos and rice milk magnums. They are really good but really small and really expensive, so they're an occasional treat. But it's so hot here now, I ran to the health food store just now with a freezer bag and bought a box of the magnums and a box of the cornettos!

I also bought popsicle forms and am thinking of making creamsicles.

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:20 pm 

I need cornettos!

Also, Poopie, I agree with teacup. I think you were body swapped with the ghost of Elvis for 15 minutes. Are you making a peanut butter banana cheesecake? You are, aren't you?

Stuff like that happens to me, and it freaks me out. Usually it's just my mind wandering/doing something out of force of habit. I'd just try to practice being mindful and aware the rest of the day to feel normal in my own skin.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:40 pm 
And you never will.

Haha, thank dudes. I guess I just zoned out for a while without realizing it, but it still made me feel pretty weird.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:42 pm 

I always do it in the shower. I'll suddenly snap to and be like, wait, how long have I been in here?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My arms have broken out in red spots. I resisted the urge to turn to Dr. Google, because that never goes well, but for some reason decided that looking through the medical dictionary would be okay. And now I'm convinced I'm dying of some rare horrible disease. Why? Why do I always do this?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:09 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:28 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Watching the South Park movie. I know all the words to all the songs. My friend and I are laughing our butts off and singing all the songs super loud and I think Mr Moon might opt to divorce me after this.

AKA I'm having so much fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My mom is getting married today...to my dad...whom she divorced 15 years ago. It's gonna be weird. I have to be in the wedding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1817, 1818, 1819, 1820, 1821, 1822, 1823 ... 2108  Next