| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1820, 1821, 1822, 1823, 1824, 1825, 1826 ... 1901  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:58 am 
Keepin' It Seal

strawberryrock wrote:
Also what kind of job are you looking for so I can properly keep my ears open?

Thanks! I'm open to anything really. I have a BA in women's studies, have lots of office/secretarial experience, and have experience working in a bagel store. Since I spent the past 9 years working in an office, I'd kind of prefer not to for a bit. Maybe like work in a cafe or something?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:45 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I would take it depending on the severity of the money issue. Crashing on couches would make me miserable though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:48 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lavawitch wrote:
I would take it depending on the severity of the money issue. Crashing on couches would make me miserable though.

+1. I feel very uncomfortable staying in other peoples' houses regardless of how welcome I am. Good luck with the job search!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:21 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

you haven't crashed on my couch. it's mad comfy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:13 am 
WRETCHED

vijita wrote:
Meggs wrote:
Buying a home was one of the most stressful experiences of my life. But, we got the one we really wanted, and it's working out splendidly. I believe the same will happen for you!! Good luck!

+a million. It was SO STRESSFUL. I know that sounds all first world problem but it was forking hard work and so invasive (regarding mortgage). I always laugh because mort means dead in french so we always talk about it as our deadguage.

I think it was somewhat stressful at the time but overall, I enjoyed the experienced. The only real stressful part was that we found a house on Friday and my husband was leaving Saturday for a rafting trip. We didn't really expect to find a house on the first day out, so we decided it was the one we wanted, so we had to set up a power of attorney and I dealt with all the negotiations while my husband was on his trip. I would've preferred looking at more houses but oh well. 8 years later, we don't regret it but there are some quirks of our house that we laugh about. I think there are a few things that I'd like if we ever decided to move that we don't currently have but those things are small/minor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:03 am 

Josh, I love sleeping on couches, don't get me wrong! I would for sure sleep on your couch but you are in a different category of friends. The one who wouldn't think I'm crazy for the weird ways I talk to inanimate objects and eat pickled mushrooms for breakfast (though I am fully aware that you would be grossed out by the latter).

linalil, my husband did all the work on our house--I never even saw it until he'd been living in it for weeks nor did I even visit the province it's in until after I was part-homeowner there, so I really shouldn't have felt so stressed out while all this was happening while I was working, but I was so naive! I had no idea how much paperwork/lawyers/costs were involved, and all my bad financial decisions from my twenties were right in my face in front of the bank, lawyers, insurance people--and I had kept that stuff pretty guarded from even my partner, because we had a hell of a time getting the mortgage. I just wanted everyone but my cats to go away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:48 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Joyfulgirl, unless you're unhappy with the couch situation, I wouldn't do it. You'll probably appreciate the extra money more than the experience of getting to try out a potential new roommate. Plus, uprooting yourself and "moving in" to a new place for 10 days seems like more effort and trouble than it would be worth.

I will also keep my ear to the ground for jobs!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:19 am 
Dead by dawn

vijita wrote:
Meggs wrote:
Buying a home was one of the most stressful experiences of my life. But, we got the one we really wanted, and it's working out splendidly. I believe the same will happen for you!! Good luck!

+a million. It was SO STRESSFUL. I know that sounds all first world problem but it was forking hard work and so invasive (regarding mortgage). I always laugh because mort means dead in french so we always talk about it as our deadguage.

Fun fact: mort is the root of 'mortgage' and of 'amortization' (the process of paying down a loan until it's, well, dead.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:47 am 

It's so weird! Honestly I didn't listen to one word our mortgage person said. I just signed at the x again and again and again. I figured as long as Jay is taking it in...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:40 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I think I'm going to do it. Just because I've been staying mostly on people's couches since March and I'm really eager to have my own room and key to a place, even if it is just for 10 days. And someone else in the house was thinking of going away for most or all of August, so if that still happens I can just keep subletting in that house for longer.

Also, since the PPK is responsible for all my life decisions, here's another!
I found a possible real housing situation that seems like more of a sure thing. It's a room in a house that's a little farther out than I'd ideally like to be (80th and Woodstock). The room is biggish, but the ceiling slopes on both sides so it's kind of annoying. I can stand upright in the center, but not on the sides. And the slope makes an awkwardly low ceiling over the staircase. The price of the room is adjusted to make up for that, so it's really really affordable. The common areas are spacious and there's a big yard and I also really like the people and I feel like they like me too. When I went to see the room, I ended up staying and chatting for like 2 hours. I'm just not really sure if the weird ceilings would end up annoying me in the long run. I'm short, so it didn't feel like a big issue while I was there, but it might be at some point? I'd have to sign a lease, so it would be for at least a year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:59 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I had a sloping ceiling room for 6 years when I was a kid (I could only stand up straight to walk about 8 feet in a straight line down the middle of the room). It was totally fine, and I got used to it really fast. Given that you're an adult, it may be a little more annoying for you, but I don't think it's a deal breaker if you really like the roommates and the rest of the space. Id' guess you'd just wind up using the slope-ier sections of the room for storage and do your living in the taller sections. Plus, really cheap housing is an awesome thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:23 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

How much is the rent?

80th and Woodstock is close to El Nutri Taco! I actually used to live close to there.

Also I wouldn't worry about the least much--you could find someone to take it over for you if you hate it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:00 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Good point, srock. They have two rooms. One is slightly bigger and has a bigger window and it's about $340. The smaller windowed one is like $240ish.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:31 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Joyfulgirl, I went out for breakfast today at Paradox Cafe, and I saw that they're looking for kitchen help. They're not all vegan, so if that isn't something you'd deal with, then please disregard, but I thought of you, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:48 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Thanks jopa! I'll look into that!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:45 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

joyfulgirl wrote:
Good point, srock. They have two rooms. One is slightly bigger and has a bigger window and it's about $340. The smaller windowed one is like $240ish.

DAMN. That's impossible to find here unless I want half a room in a one bedroom apartment shared with three other people. I find my rent ($1025 + gas and electric, I pay half) for my place (one huge bedroom, spacious living room, teeny kitchen, fenced backyard, one small bedroom, large dining area, laundry in apartment, plus large breed dogs allowed) is a forking steal in Seattle. Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like to live somewhere with actual affordable rent.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:05 pm 
Chip Strong

I have wanted to change my last name to my mom's maiden name for years, and have decided to just do it, consequences be damned. Holy shiitake balls though, it's expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:16 pm 

Simply_Love wrote:
I have wanted to change my last name to my mom's maiden name for years, and have decided to just do it, consequences be damned. Holy shiitake balls though, it's expensive.

Do it!!! When I turned eighteen, I changed my last name to my great-great grandmother's on my mother's side (the farthest back matriarch name I could credibly find) and I changed my first and middle name to match- closely enough- my patriarchal grandmother's. Seeing the certificate...it's so worth the money when you have a genuine reason that will make you happy. If you're looking for odd jobs in the area for extra cash, I'll keep a lookout.

Alternatively, it may be cheaper to go to a courthouse farther up north? I remember my name change being...$250? up in Edmonds. 250 or 325. One of those, and I got extra copies of certified copies of the court order.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:25 pm 

missdelaney wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:

DAMN. That's impossible to find here unless I want half a room in a one bedroom apartment shared with three other people. I find my rent ($1025 + gas and electric, I pay half) for my place (one huge bedroom, spacious living room, teeny kitchen, fenced backyard, one small bedroom, large dining area, laundry in apartment, plus large breed dogs allowed) is a forking steal in Seattle. Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like to live somewhere with actual affordable rent.

I think Seattle is a little more expensive than Portland for sure, but that is considered crazy cheap here too. And while I don't mind the neighborhood around 80th and Woodstock, rent is cheap there because it's not really considered the "good part of town." My two bedroom with tiny shared yard, coin-op laundry on-site but not in my unit, decent sized living room and tiny kitchen is 1005 total (I pay half) plus garbage, water and electric and that is definitely a steal. When I've looked for one bedroom apartments here there are very few under 1000 which I think means I'll probably have roommates forever.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:38 pm 
Chip Strong

missdelaney wrote:
Simply_Love wrote:

Do it!!! When I turned eighteen, I changed my last name to my great-great grandmother's on my mother's side (the farthest back matriarch name I could credibly find) and I changed my first and middle name to match- closely enough- my patriarchal grandmother's. Seeing the certificate...it's so worth the money when you have a genuine reason that will make you happy. If you're looking for odd jobs in the area for extra cash, I'll keep a lookout.

Alternatively, it may be cheaper to go to a courthouse farther up north? I remember my name change being...$250? up in Edmonds. 250 or 325. One of those, and I got extra copies of certified copies of the court order.

Woah! Doing it in King County will be $170 I think? Plus extra if I want more certified copies. That is seeming so much better now! Did you have to pay the fee for each name change, though? It seemed like when I was reading the paper work, the $170 would be per new name.

And I love what you did! I definitely think it will be worth it, too. I'm kind of afraid to tell my dad, because he is going to flip his shiitake, but I don't really care anymore. This is 100% for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:55 pm 

Simply_Love wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
Simply_Love wrote:

Woah! Doing it in King County will be $170 I think? Plus extra if I want more certified copies. That is seeming so much better now! Did you have to pay the fee for each name change, though? It seemed like when I was reading the paper work, the $170 would be per new name.

And I love what you did! I definitely think it will be worth it, too. I'm kind of afraid to tell my dad, because he is going to flip his shiitake, but I don't really care anymore. This is 100% for me.

That was total for my full name, plus five extra copies. I think it was 250? It was a while ago. I bet I still have the receipt somewhere.
eta: I remember reading somewhere that changing your name in Washington is a lot cheaper/easier than elsewhere?

Srock- I have no notion of what rent is like anywhere else. I know when I was casually looking, I could tell I could easily afford Baltimore but never afford Berkeley (two places I'm looking at grad school), and wouldn't have any issue in Portland. Ignoring the fact I'd make a different amount. The differences in rent in various places fascinate me.
I also had no idea there's a "bad part" of Portland...huh!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:57 pm 

Our bad parts aren't that bad. 80th and Woodstock is not that bad. But like...when I lived there I would get stopped by cops every single time I was walking home at night, which has never happened to me in my current neighborhood.

Also one of my best friends has a huge one bedroom apartment in Seattle for 850, which I am very jealous of.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:02 am 
Chip Strong

strawberryrock wrote:
Our bad parts aren't that bad. 80th and Woodstock is not that bad. But like...when I lived there I would get stopped by cops every single time I was walking home at night, which has never happened to me in my current neighborhood.

Also one of my best friends has a huge one bedroom apartment in Seattle for 850, which I am very jealous of.

This is more of the range I'm looking at, and it's proving impossible. It's such a good deal that they're gone the moment they are posted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:43 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

jg, I kind of want to steer you closer to NE because that's where I live and I'm selfish, but that's indeed a good price.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:22 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Mars wrote:
jg, I kind of want to steer you closer to NE because that's where I live and I'm selfish, but that's indeed a good price.

I promise I'll hang out with you wherever I am!!
I don't actually know when that house offer would start, but I took the sublet and then the other housemate is leaving for another week after that and said I can stay in her room and don't have to pay. So if I can just convince everyone in that house to take vacations in a row, I'm all set.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1820, 1821, 1822, 1823, 1824, 1825, 1826 ... 1901  Next