| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1831, 1832, 1833, 1834, 1835, 1836, 1837 ... 1873  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:03 am 
WRETCHED

My former BFF worked for a government program that was kind of like daycare for older children but children not old enough to be in school so 2-4? It was kind of like a pre-pre school and they had to formulate lesson plans every day for the kids. And the job had extensive requirements, like a BA/BS with multiple classes in Child development required. Anyway, I think she said she got paid $10/hour initially and then when she got promoted and managed other people, got something like $14/hour. This was in Southern California.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:11 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I left a note on the back door asking the person who empties their slug beer traps onto the patio table in the communal garden of my tenement building to please stop doing that, and even though I wasn't 100% sure who was doing it before, I sure do now! She's stopping anyone in the stairwell she passes to shout at them and demand to know if they left the note. She is furious. I mean, fair enough, she did buy the table in the first place (which is old and getting fairly broken), but it's still a communal garden and not her private space.

For further context, she also has a long track record of not supervising her dog in the garden, who jumps the fences and shiitakes everywhere, plus when my neighbours cleared the weeds at the back of the garden recently they found piles of plastic bags of dog shiitake she had been tossing in there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:16 am 
Married to the wolfman

I understand totally where the money goes in a daycare. $50/kid really isn't that much especially with younger kids, where you (legally in CA) can only have so many kids per teacher. Beyond paying teachers, you have to pay administrators, pay for the building, pay the cook (congrats AP!), pay food and materials costs, pay for cleaning, and on and on and on and on. I doubt very, very much that anyone involved in the average daycare is taking in _more_ money than she should.

That said, I think it's frankly insane that the US government doesn't subsidize childcare for most people. Politicians pay so much lip service to the idea that "children are the future!!!!!" And "parenting is the most important job!!!!" But no one wants to put through any sort of legislation for fair pay for child care providers/teachers from daycare right on up, or provide any sort of financial help to parents, etc. Because you know, caring for children is really totally important, but it's not like, something we should have to pay for.

(I'm pretty apolitical (for a vegan) but this is one subject that really gets my goat. It really underscores the total lack of a long game for the US-- everyone is playing to get elected or re-elected now now now, but in twenty years when none of our kids have had even passable public educations, where will we be then?)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:18 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Daycare and preschool are notoriously low paying. Most preschool teachers are paid hourly unless they are fortunate to get I to a public school head start program.

I can't machine why anybody would want to do it. Education requirements aren't usually much different for kindergarten teachers, but the pay difference is astronomical.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

electric_claire wrote:
VeganinBerlin, I'm sorry you're disappointed in your grades. I kind of felt the same way when I finished my undergrad thesis. It also counted for mooost of my last two years of college. I felt alternately like I could have done/should have been able to do much better, and then also sometimes felt like, "well, I did the best I could do, so that's that." And also sometimes felt like, "that's the best I could do, AND IT STILL WASN"T PERFECT! Oh no!" Now, 5+ years after graduating, I know that nobody gives a shiitake about your grades. (Unless, I suppose, you wanted to go to grad school.) I learned a lot and accomplished a lot in school that I actually still use, and other stuff that I don't use but that was cool to learn/experience, and I did a lot during the years I was in school that wasn't for a grade or even for school but just for myself as a human being, and all of those things are way more important than getting the grade I wanted, and maaaybe I could have gotten a better grade but if it came at the expense of that other awesome stuff, then it probably wouldn't have even been worth it for me!

Quote:
This times infinity. Nobody gives a shiitake about grades in reality! And even with grad school, there are so many important factors- essays, recommendations, personal statement. I'm applying, even though my GPA is really subpar (thanks to my university having asinine rules about course retaking. Hint: you can't. ever. replace a grade. Even if you ace the class the second time around.) because I know that I excel in the other areas, and many grad programs (at least in the US and my discipline) refuse to name an average GPA or consider a requirement of at least a ____ because they know it's pretty irrelevant.

I already got into one grad school so that's not the problem. I'm still applying to another one now. I hope I can get into the philosophy program at one university and then transfer to another after a semester... We don't really count anything else but grades when applying to grad school, so that kind of sucks. It was the same when I first applied for a BA program and almost didn't get in because I had a bad math grade that lowered my overall grade even though I applied for something with zero math in it.

With the grade... It's only my ego. I was the same when I finished High School. I still sometimes think about it. It just feels like it's so very ME, to be a straight A student in all the "normal" stuff and then kinda mess up at the end. And that is such a shitty feeling. And I hate someone telling me "you underestimate the complexity of the real situation" and stuff like that. Because I really feel it's unfair.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:31 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Argh, I'm in a totally not-important comment war on this local news site with an author who said something mildly shitty in an article and then, when I politely called her out and asked she not use such language, deployed the classic "sorry you're too sensitive/it was just a joke" non-apology. I told her I was sorry, in turn, that she was having a hard time accepting criticism. Ugh, stupid egos.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Hey, ViB, I wasn't at all saying you underestimate a complex situation. I'm the kind of person that focuses on details and sometimes forgets the big picture and so the reminder that there's lots of other things making up the picture makes me feel a little less anxious about bad grades, bad reviews, etc. like you, I'm really sensitive to doing poorly, so I thought maybe some reassurance that it isn't the only thing you got going on would be nice, not hurtful.

Congrats on the grad school acceptance.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

oh sorry, i didn't mean you said that! It's something the professor wrote in the evaluation of my thesis. What you wrote was nice to read. Sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks again for all of the congrats, everyone. ndpittman, you're definitely right - working as much as I've been working has been taking a toll on me. I was starting to get really, really depressed that I'm killing myself doing these jobs that actually require a lot of planning and knowledge...and for what? I'm never home, I never get to relax, and there's no upward mobility. At least with this job, I'm done at the end of the day. There'a still planning and know-how, obviously, but I won't be dealing with the frustration of the university or insane customers at the HFS anymore. As with all jobs, I'm sure there will be new frustrations, but having my evenings free is worth it, I think. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Alternately, I'm feeling like it's too good to be true. I have this feeling of dread that something will happen and I will have quit my other jobs and by totally screwed. Like...I'll have accidentally eaten poppy seeds or something, and not pass my drug test (yes, I watch too much Seinfeld). Or something. I just need this so badly, and I got so royally forked with the university thing, and then the last place I interviewed being super weird about hiring - I'm just nervous. I kind of got the feeling that they only hired me because no one else applied, so I just really want the next couple of weeks to fly by so that I can get started and prove to them how awesome I am.

With my meat thermometer, so I don't kill them all by accident.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

VeganinBerlin wrote:
oh sorry, i didn't mean you said that! It's something the professor wrote in the evaluation of my thesis. What you wrote was nice to read. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, good! That's kind of a crappy thing for a professor to say, though. It's so frustrating when they say unhelpful shiitake like that.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:47 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

You guys! Check out this little clip from our production of "The Rocky Horror Show"!

Tonight is opening night, and I'm so excited I can't even stand it. I'm in love with our entire cast, I can't wait for people to see them, but I don't want it to be almost over!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Zelavie! I can't wait to see this! I can't make this weekend but am hoping next friday night, I can gather up a group to go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Kelly wrote:
Zelavie! I can't wait to see this! I can't make this weekend but am hoping next friday night, I can gather up a group to go.

I can't wait for you to come! Tonight was AMAZING! Best opening night I've ever been a part of. We sold out tonight, and also for tomorrow - so rare for this theatre. I'm just bursting with excitement and love and glee and, and, and... <sigh>. So happy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:58 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Congrats! It's awesome when something you've worked at so much comes together.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My birthday party is tonight, and three people backed out at the last minute. The first two were legit because they forgot about something they signed up to do for Amnesty, and they suggested getting together at another point. The third, though, didn't bother to tell anyone she had plans and her partner bought tickets for them for tonight. I haven't seen her in something like 2+ years, and she didn't say anything about catching up another time. Intellectually, I know that neither of these cancellations are a reflection on me, but it still feels kinda shitty since this is for my birthday. Also, I paid a shitload of money for a schmancy cake that may be awesome or you might see on Cake Wrecks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:20 am 
***LIES!!!***

I am actually amazed at what the preschool we are sending the kid to can provide for what little they charge, and then see everyone in my large parents' group on FB is shocked to spend *much less* than what we spend on childcare. I can't even figure out how those places are making things work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

$9/hr and no benefits to the teachers helps.

I'm excited: we bought rhubarb and strawberries for pie. Yes, I'm excited about pie. This is the fun filled summer I've had.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:54 pm 
Semen Strong

I wasn't complaining about the cost of child care, I was just lamenting the fact that a minimum wage is not a living wage.

http://www.upworthy.com/how-many-minimu ... ment-in-yo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I can't believe Ann Coulter actually wrote this: http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-08-06.html (article is about Ebola and the two aid workers being treated at Emory)

I mean, I know she is hateful, but I didn't realize she was quite this hateful. I pretty much just felt she liked to stir the pot with vitriolic tripe, and enjoyed flashing her legs and blond hair acting as "Republican Barbie." On the other hand it's a damn perfect example of the "Christian" message I've seen often among evangelicals I've known. Jesus would not approve.

What an evil, vile piece.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Little Sancti-Annie.

She is like a female Donald Trump

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

She wishes her hair were that nice.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:44 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

does anybody know how to deal with a complete lack of appetite? I usually sit around "almost none" on the scale, but at the moment it's closer to "none at all". hurting from hunger is the only real motivation to eat a bunch of the time, but it's not really..fun?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:52 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Last night I went to this fun screening of vintage sex ed films (sometimes double-projected with vintage erotica, and man, dudes doing slow-mo jumping jacks is not sexy) and during the last film they screened, I realized I had already seen it- in 1990, in sex ed class! It was such a trip. The film was a mid- to early-80s gem called Dear Diary, and it was about a girl named Jamie who was exploring the frustrating world of bras, periods, and boys, and vocalizing it all in her diary. I realized I'd seen it before during a scene where Jamie, her brother, and her parents are all sitting at dinner and Jamie gets a funny look on her face. She excuses herself and goes to the bathroom, where you hear her off-camera voice squeal "I got it!!!" And her little brother says "got what?" Dad says "her period, son." Brother asks "what's that?" Mom replies "It means Jamie is a woman now." Brother: "GROSS!"

There is also a scene where a suspiciously enthusiastic bra saleslady flings open all the dressing room curtains so a duo of pubescent girls can learn about how breasts come in many different shapes and sizes, which I remember my friends and I finding hilarious at first watch. And of course the classic final scene, where Jamie's bisque-y friend "accidentally" drops her diary into a cluster of their peers, who Jamie finds crowded around the diary reading. When she marches up to confront them, instead of ridicule, all the girls say "I thought I was the only one going through this!" and they all have a big pubescent group hug.

Man, what a trip! Good times. I see now as an adult that the filmmakers were being tongue-in-cheek and trying to have fun with it, but of course that was lost on kids like me who thought anything to do with puberty/sex was mortifying and hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

joshua wrote:
does anybody know how to deal with a complete lack of appetite? I usually sit around "almost none" on the scale, but at the moment it's closer to "none at all". hurting from hunger is the only real motivation to eat a bunch of the time, but it's not really..fun?

Have you tried smoothies? I've also found that eating a plain piece of toast can sometimes stimulate my appetite when I've had trouble (usually due to medications).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:25 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

that sounds rad, erika. i watch so many rifftrax shorts. i love old psa/education films so much! sometimes i look for weird stuff here. once i found a short that rifftrax had done about cooking in the 50s and they showed it a class i had about food and gender roles. https://archive.org/details/movies

i bought a homeless guy some taco bell today and now i really want taco bell. i shoulda just got myself a burrito while i was in there. there are worse snacks, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1831, 1832, 1833, 1834, 1835, 1836, 1837 ... 1873  Next