| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you see here? (rant)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sorry about the image size.

PPK - What do you see in this picture? Do you see that the holes don't line up on the right (and wouldn't line up on the bottom if the top bit were moved down)? Can you tell that the bolt on the left is angled to the right?

This bag of dicks that I'm dealing with decided that this photo, taken straight on directly above the chair, wasn't an accurate representation of the problem. So he asked me to send through pictures of the entire bottom of a chair with the arms attached (both arms visible). Then he said that the arms seem to be attached and there aren't any problems with any of the chairs (there are 3 in question).
HOW CAN YOU JUDGE THAT BASED ON A DIFFERENT forking CHAIR?!!

I just need someone to tell me I'm right. Or that I'm crazy (if I am). But everyone at the office seems to agree with me.

Post subject: Re: What do you see here? (rant)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:56 am 
Mediocre Tart

i see a wee robot face with a something over his mouth.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:06 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

interrobang?! wrote:
i see a wee robot face with a something over his mouth.

Me too!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This is not helpful!

I sent the guy a ranty email. I feel a little better, but I doubt this will solve the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:32 am 
WELFARIST!

There is a bolt or screw missing on the right. I suppose that's because the holes don't line up? The right side alignment seems to be riding higher, but the final tightening screw (that's not there but is on the left) could/might fix that, were you able to get it in. Are you not able to get that last screw in because of the malalignment or because it's missing? What is this, IKEA furniture?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:42 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

rachell37 wrote:
Do you see that the holes don't line up on the right (and wouldn't line up on the bottom if the top bit were moved down)?

I can see that it looks that way right now. However, I do kind of think that if you took out the top screw and shifted the back a little it could easily become lined up. That's not saying you are crazy, there is probably a problem. I mean, if there were not a problem you probably would have had it set up and not noticed a thing. Problems like this are much easier to feel with a screwdriver than to see.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:03 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's a guy wearing a squareish hat, upside-down. WITH A TERRIBLE EYE INJURY, which might explain his mouth's sort of "O" of surprise.

Also it looks like if you loosened the other 2 screws, you might be able to get the third in, if you wiggled the piece around a bit-- rotating it around the screw on the left in particular. They're in those channels, which can make it hard to line up that kind of piece. Also, if it's plastic, you can easily tighten the other screws down too far and deform the piece so it slides around. I can't tell if it's all plastic or plastic over metal or what, but if there's plastic around the screws, that makes it all that much harder to get into the right place.

It does look like the screw holes are in pretty random spots, though, you're right. Two happen to line up so you can get the arm piece on, but that third is kind of funky.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:38 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Before I read the post, I was going to say "I can see you have a screw loose."

Can you take it apart? I would take a picture of the holes on the chair bottom, with a RULER for scale, and the holes on the arm bracket thing, also with the same ruler, to show that the holes on the chair are clearly (x mm) farther apart than the bracket ones.

You could also unscrew the lefthand screw a bit, then take a picture a little more perpendicular to this one so you can see that the shaft of that screw is not going in straight. Like this: __/___

If you take it apart, as above, you could put the screws in the chair loosely for one pic, perpendicular, with ruler, and same for the bracket. Like this:

Chair:
|____|
' ' ' ' ' ' '

Bracket
|__|
' ' ' ' ' ' '

Chair screws = 5 doinks apart, bracket screws are 3 & 1/2 doinks apart, hellooooo NOT going to fit.

I can take actual photos if you cannot decipher my doinks. These | are the screws, these ' are the markings on the ruler.

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

solipsistnation wrote:
Also it looks like if you loosened the other 2 screws, you might be able to get the third in, if you wiggled the piece around a bit-- rotating it around the screw on the left in particular. They're in those channels, which can make it hard to line up that kind of piece. Also, if it's plastic, you can easily tighten the other screws down too far and deform the piece so it slides around. I can't tell if it's all plastic or plastic over metal or what, but if there's plastic around the screws, that makes it all that much harder to get into the right place.

Yeah, whenever assembling stuff like this, I just line up all the screws and their casings loosely first, just a few twists in to get everything lined up and ensure the holes are properly aligned and then twist them all the way to complete.

The computer desk I assembled a while back was a trial and I had to make a new hole for one of the screws because it was right out of alignment. And this baker's rack I assembled too, same thing, where I had to drill a new hole because the factory didn't make one of the holes I needed to hold it one end.