| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a Quotation for a Going Gift
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hi guys!

I've been in Iraq over 10 months now, so I have just under 2 months to go. I have directly advised an Iraqi Air Force squadron, working/flying/eating with the same guys all day, everyday. I need to get the unit a going away gift.

I plan on getting a lazer-engraved marble wall plaque type thingy (though I am very open to other suggestions). Maybe the aircraft, a US flag, and Iraqi flag, the squadron patch, my name, and the dates I was here.

I would like to put a quotation on it as well, and this is really where I would like suggestions. It can relate to brothers or brotherhood, lasting bonds, remembering them, pride in serving with them, or any combination of these things. Or, you know, whatever else you think might work. It could be from any literary source, but if it's religious then only from Christian or Muslim religious texts. It can also be super-cheezy, they love that stuff.

Ideas?

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

Post subject: Re: Need a Quotation for a Going Gift
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:13 am 
WELFARIST!

Invictus wrote:
I would like to put a quotation on it as well, and this is really where I would like suggestions. It can relate to brothers or brotherhood, lasting bonds, remembering them, pride in serving with them, or any combination of these things. Or, you know, whatever else you think might work. It could be from any literary source, but if it's religious then only from Christian or Muslim religious texts. It can also be super-cheezy, they love that stuff.

Ideas?

Here's a page of brotherhood quotes. If you look at the words under the "Brotherhood" title, you can click on those links for more quotes about "Friendship" "Humanity", etc., that may be appropriate too.

http://www.giga-usa.com/quotes/topics/b ... d_t001.htm

Here's a Shakespeare speech from Henry V pertaining to brotherhood (scroll down a bit to "Enter the KING" for direct quote):

http://www.indepthinfo.com/band-of-brot ... ry-v.shtml

Nothing's resonating strongly with me personally in it, but there may be something there that speaks to what you want to say. I think your gift sounds like a lovely idea! <3

Post subject: Re: Need a Quotation for a Going Gift
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I looked at a number of quotation sites, but that giga one is new to me. I'll go have a look.

I'm leaning towards this right now, "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother..."

It's not quite right, but it might be good enough.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil