| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bisque about your neighbors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:15 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I will be honest and say that I am probably the neighbour that people bisque about. I have 2 yappy dogs, I vacuum late and I somehow manage to bang things late at night when I am trying to be quiet.

My neighbours are great. The lady who lives on the left of me is lovely and I barely see her and I don't even know the man on my right!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:33 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

My neighbours are pretty tame, barring the next-doors who have some construction thing going on. Even then they're polite enough only to do it in the day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:59 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My neighbors called to complain that the roofer left a towel on the roof and asked me to take it down. That "roofer" was my husband.

ETA: It was clear they thought he was a roofer because he is Hispanic, as opposed to someone just working on their own house.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:22 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

One of my neighbors just left me a passive aggressive note on my car. Apparently my parking on the public street (because there is road construction directly in front of my driveway and all around my house) is inconvenient to them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:10 am 
Dead by dawn

Mine are fine. I live in a townhouse so I share walls with two other houses. I never hear anything at all from the neighbors to the right. The neighbors to the left have parties sometimes but I mostly only hear those in the summer when all the windows are open. I don't know any of them, really but everyone exchanges the usual pleasantries except that the woman to the left has never even said hello to me. She turns her back if I pass her yard when she's outside. Whatever. I've mostly been pretty lucky neighbors-wise. I have been the bad neighbor, though, when I was in a really bad relationship and there was a lot of yelling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:22 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We currently don't have neighbors to complain about because the lot our (rental) house is on sucks so much that the lots beside and across from us are vacant. We do have neighbors behind us, but rarely hear them. I have to remember that it is nice not to have neighbors when I am complaining about trudging up our driveway that is too steep to park on.

In our old apartment, the woman that lived below us liked to call noise complaints on us all. the. time. Even when we weren't home! One night she called one on us when I was cooking dinner and watching Jeopardy, neither being a particularly noisy activity. I'm sure she was hearing some noise from somewhere, as it was a noisy apartment complex, but she needed to get her hearing checked if she couldn't tell if noise was coming from above her or elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:25 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I think I am the bad neighbor. We have three loud kids... a chicken... cats...and a massive garden that always looks a mess. And I think the people on the right of me are terrified that we are in some Satanist cult.

The guy down the street is sort of a douche. He is just creepy and sort of stalky. It is a vibe that just.... shudder.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:42 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

oh.. and my neighbors suggested that I kill myself because I asked them nicely if they could move away from the wall we share at about 12:30 am on a Monday. Boo.
kfad and other who say they are the noisy neighbor, I don't think I would honestly care that much if my people were nice! My neighbors have been d-bags, which just makes it so that they irritate me more easily. If that makes sense?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:17 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Granted they're better than the drug dealing, prostituting, thieving, loud partying, always having the cops called on them neighbors from our last house, but the new ones are pieces of work in their own right. Not only did they somehow convince the previous owners to let them build a portion of their driveway on our property (despite in no way needing it), but they treat part of our property as their lawn and have planted (prior to our ownership) bushes that match the landscaping of their house beyond the driveway (the section that is already encroaching) further into our property. I regularly am moving large branches that the neighbor has tossed onto our field rather than dumping into their own woods, and today, after seeing him parking his cars in our field for the 3rd or 4th time (basically any holiday they have guests) I went over there to tell him to use some of his own 3-4 acres to park in. This was the first time I ever met the husband, I told him I was his neighbor and, not to be a jerk, but I'd appreciate if he'd park his cars on his own grass. His response was a high pitched "seriously?"...yes di#$ nuts...seriously. GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN!!!

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

god reading this thread makes me so happy we've moved.
in our new house we have on the one side, the nice old lady with a parrot that makes chicken noises. we swap plants and when her husband passed away earlier this year i made a cake to feed her dozens of relatives who showed up.
on the other side are the weird lady who is shifty-eyed and rude and her husband, who is nice but smokes pot ALL THE TIME and makes my laundry smell like a concert. However, we just saved their dog from being run over so they'll be happy with us, and the husband gets along with Mr T so it is about 1000000000% better here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:12 am 
Saggy Butt

When my cousin lived directly below me, he would have super huge parties 3-4 times a week. I had 8 am classes and worked at 8 am most weekends as well. He could never figure out who was calling the police on him all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:24 am 
Chip Strong

Most of my neighbours are pretty nice, but I live in a tenement building so there's a lot of people all packed together in quite a small space.

One of the neighbours on my level (there are only 3 flats which are entered through the doorway into the stairwell as I live in a basement) is in his 80s and a bit off his rocker, and so although he will buzz in people to the stairwell, if they go up to speak to them he will slam the door in their face, even if it's only the postie trying to leave a package with him for a neighbour. I've had to apologise for his behaviour more than once to people this has happened to even though it really isn't anything to do with me.

Also, some of my neighbours smoke inside their flat and it permeates through into mine, particularly in my bathroom for some reason, and I really hate the smell!

However, it's still loads better than my previous flat, where someone once got stabbed in front of the building while I was living there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My neighbors talk loudly in the hallways every morning at like 7:30, throw dirty diapers in our shared garbage bin instead of just taking them to the dumpster, and are really bizarre and rude when I encounter them in common areas. The neighbors below me are opera singers and have a piano and are NOT afraid to use it whenever they feel like it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i would so trade my neighbor-lady-singing-along-to-Abba-in-her-backyard-at-top-of-her-lungs-every-time-she-gets-drunk for those opera singers AND their piano!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:47 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Well, that's what I thought at first, but they never sing anything but scales and weird screamy voice exercises. I wish they'd sing some ABBA.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

well sometimes it's Queen too. More often, actually. Also they don't actually speak English so you can imagine how tired THAT gets.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:52 pm 
Inflexitarian

Mine is way mild compared to the crazy in here, but I live a very poor area (Section 8 mostly) and there are constantly kids unsupervised running amok. The worst is when they play in the dumpster, drag all the trash out and throw it around. I truly don't understand the mentality. I grew up poor. But we were taught to behave, have manners. These parents just sit in their houses and watch TV. They do not pay attention to their kids at all. Today, with it being Easter, all the parents were around, drinking, and the kids were throwing their Easter candy trash all over the place, drawing on the building with markers and chalk and hitting the building with the brand new skateboards they got.
What aggravates me the most is when I have to get up and down the stairs and they're sprawled out on the stairs talking on the phone and don't move so I can get by. Usually I have laundry or groceries in my hands too. Then there's the booming stereo in their top notch car I'd love to know how they can afford since they can't afford their housing. That stereo they boom at 3 am for an hour in the parking lot and the police never show up.
Truly inconsiderate people all around me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

My neighbor almost flooded my kitchen a few days ago! He didn't know his kitchen sink was overflowing until I told him rusty water was pouring into my apartment through the light fixture. I'm still baffled that he didn't notice he was flooding his own tiny studio apartment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

About 3 weeks ago, one of my neighbors shot the other one. I think. All I know is that there were lots of cop cars, some ambulances, and a ton of commotion. And a member of the police force said (off the record) that that is what has happened.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

our had a party on Saturday, lucky the music ended at 10....but there were beer bottles and cake all over our street and in our yard. i also heard the kids used our dirt patch (still waiting for planting ideas) as a play area....it shows. another neighbor went over and told them to clean up the mess. they did!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:31 am 
Nooch of Earl

I really have nothing to complain about, but because I have a toddler who's hard to get to sleep I feel sometimes like I'm the 75-year-old grouchy old man, rather than the neighbors I get angry with in my mind. Like those whippersnappers next door are always coming and going at all hours - tonight they got home at NINE PM!!! Just shuttin' doors and turnin' on lights without a care in the world for whoever's toddler might be sleeping next door. And the guy across the street, he sometimes works on stuff in his garage during the day and he puts the classic station on the radio and if I open my windows I can HEAR IT IN MY HOUSE. Don't get me started on weekends (when eevvvvvverybody decides to just go outside and talk while walking down my sidewalks), or motorcycles (can a vehicle be any louder?), or neighbor dogs (why do dog owners not teach their dogs about easements, and that sidewalks are not their property to defend?), or lawn services.

I could draw you a map of my neighborhood with every single potential noise hazard. GET OFF MY LAWN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:45 am 
Saggy Butt

our neighborhood is that lovely set up where all the houses are 2 units stacked vertically and there is a driveway that stretches between the houses into the backyard.
My next door neighbor just got a motorcycle. I know this because he sits between the houses revving it up for like a half hour at a time whenever he remembers he has one. i don't think he even drives it anywhere. Just revs it up next to my bedroom window.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:37 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

My neighbours below are a family who, best as I can tell, immigrated from India and moved straight to the unit below me. I make that assumption because there was a mass moving-in of Indians to my building all at once, and I think it was some sort of community immigration project; none of them speak English or really own any possessions. The man who lives in the unit below is a giant douche who screams at the woman all day, making their baby cry, and then he screams at the baby. Walking past their windows at night, you can see they have no furniture and the baby sleeps on the hard parquet floor. I've seen the woman walking around the halls before, and one time recently she was walking around and I saw him come out of the apartment, all disheveled looking, to come find her and scream at her. I'm sort of at a loss for what to do; because if it were a white family I feel I'd have no problem calling the guy a douche to his face, but this somehow seems different. Like since they're recently immigrated, I should be nice or something and ignore what I hear/see.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 am 
Seagull of the PPK

there was a similar thread to this not so long ago that enlightened me a little bit about other cultures moving into north america. i will let other people speak to that.
I used to do outreach to new immigrants in the US and sometimes found that when as a woman, i reached out to women, they really blossomed [i had a client who was in a very similar situation, her husband didn't even want her talking to me; fast forward a year and her kid was in head start, she was learning english, and taking sewing courses. i've heard recently that she got her diploma and opened her own business.
I guess i would try being friendly to the woman in particular, even if it's hard to communicate. we found that sometimes, even if people didn't know how to communicate, when they needed help in an emergency just knowing that there was a neighbor who made cookies or gave her a flower or something could be a resource in an emergency. [this happened with a client who was being physically abused, who escaped sought help with a neighbor who had smiled at her, just because she was so desperate and felt that at least this person might possibly help her.] you never know exactly what's going on, even if you speak the language, but there is so much at play here in terms of whether someone should be called or not, whether something should be done or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's warm outside, so the neighbor kids are officially out and about, throwing weird shiitake into our yard. A lot of it is food or trash, but we've found prescription pill bottles, flip-flops, toys, you name it. Sometimes my husband will collect it all and take a photo before he throws it back over the fence or throws it away, depending on how irritated he is. There's a relatively new child's sneaker in our yard right now. It'll probably just stay there until the dog chews it up.