| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bisque about your neighbors
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:46 pm 
Chip Strong

paprikapapaya wrote:
My neighbours below are a family who, best as I can tell, immigrated from India and moved straight to the unit below me. I make that assumption because there was a mass moving-in of Indians to my building all at once, and I think it was some sort of community immigration project; none of them speak English or really own any possessions. The man who lives in the unit below is a giant douche who screams at the woman all day, making their baby cry, and then he screams at the baby. Walking past their windows at night, you can see they have no furniture and the baby sleeps on the hard parquet floor. I've seen the woman walking around the halls before, and one time recently she was walking around and I saw him come out of the apartment, all disheveled looking, to come find her and scream at her. I'm sort of at a loss for what to do; because if it were a white family I feel I'd have no problem calling the guy a douche to his face, but this somehow seems different. Like since they're recently immigrated, I should be nice or something and ignore what I hear/see.

If you suspect the woman and/or child is suffering abuse or neglect, you should get the authorities involved regardless of race.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:34 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'd rather not go and get the authorities involved when I really have no idea what's happening. I don't really trust the police to do the right thing anyway, but that's another thing. And it's also tricky, because it's an important detail that these people are fairly newly landed immigrants - do they have different ways of doing things that I am not aware of? Do they not have money for a baby crib? I have no idea, and I feel weird about trying to impose "my way" on people by assuming they're doing something wrong.
If I heard some really explosive yelling, I would definitely call 911 and have done that for domestic disturbances in my building before. But in this case, it's never been like that, just more the guy being a huge douche to his lady.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:07 am 
Nooch of Earl

When we moved overseas and back, it took 2 months for our stuff to arrive by boat. We had a faster shipment that arrived by plane much more quickly, but we weren't allowed to put any furniture on it. And that was with a government coordinated and funded move. (We also never used a crib with our now-toddler, and not for financial reasons) I wouldn't read too much into their furniture situation, but I do agree that being friendly to the woman might go a long way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

the conversation i meant was here

viewtopic.php?p=679098#p679098 on this page and the next page.

there was another conversation which i can't find about calling authorities [especially child welfare or domestic violence, i want to say especially in Canada, does anyone remember?] on immigrants and the disadvantage they're at.
it really gave me pause because in my work experience, we immediately got authorities involved if they could help BECAUSE they were really helpful and understanding [i understand now this is not universal] and not only were they our own resource, we wanted new immigrants to not be afraid to reach out for help if needed [this was, of course, in the years before Homeland Security]. But I've also been on the other end of having child services called on me, and it is a nightmare in all senses of the word, no matter how well-intentioned the caller was.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I completely agree with everyone about reaching out to her. Bring over a "welcome to the area" potted plant, or stop and say hi and ask if they've accidentally got a letter that you've been waiting for that went to the wrong apartment? Or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I can't complain too much, but my upstairs neighbors make such weird noises. It's become an amusing game to guess what they are doing. One time i swear i heard them sacrifice someone at a party.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Its summery outside, so my neighbors fired up their grill, the smell of which convinced me that my house was on fire. Good times.

They're really nice people though.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:55 pm 
We So Excited

It's warm, so time for communal living! The neighbor next door is a mostly well meaning busybody. My daughter is in training to be her, so they sit on the front stoops and gossip for hours. It's all fun, til that becomes an invitation to scold us about the various crimes against respectability we commit. (Mostly involving not adequately cleaning the outdoor area. It's a building. We are renters) The upstairs neighbor is the sort-of super (who should be cleaning the trash area and sidewalk.) His children like to play tag in the house, from what it sounds like. He's offered to set up his grill in the back yard and we can all share! The only access to the back yard is through our apartment. We haven't quite figured out how to say no thank you. (his floor has a balcony on both the front and back, tho I don't think grills on balconies are legal.)
I do like these neighbors, but after living most of my adult life in large buildings, I'm finding the quasi-suburbanness weird.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21414&hilit=neighbors+from+hell

This was my neighbor saga from last summer, still an ongoing issue.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The folks in my building are all SUPER nice and, for the most part, very quiet. The only exception is the guy who lives in the apartment that shares a wall with my living room. A few times a week he plays video games so loud that it makes my cats hide.

The neighborhood I live in is also really ridiculous. In the winter, when my windows are closed and people stay inside, it's not so bad. But now that it's warmer it's starting to get crazy again. There are two bars about half a block away. And most nights they play music so loudly that my walls vibrate... from half a block away. Because of the bars, there are also very loud drunks roaming up and down my street, yelling outside my windows, til about 4am every morning. And at least once or twice a year there are actual riots in my street, and sometimes even SWAT teams.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh my god, I'm so glad there's a thread for this. I live in a rather creaky old apartment building so I have issues with my upstairs AND downstairs neighbors, but my biggest issues are with the family across the hall...

Our building has this concrete inner courtyard type thing. Nobody can actually access it except the landlord, it's just sort of there so there can be windows on both sides of every apartment I think. Anyway, our crazy across-the-hall neighbor likes to throw bread out into the courtyard for the birds sometimes. Sounds nice, right? NO. Because hundreds of pigeons descend and the sound of the cooing and flapping is so loud that it's actually distressing. Also, sometimes he throws food out there that the birds ignore and doesn't disintegrate, like VATS of rice, or one time even a thing of chicken bones! CHICKEN BONES! They have been out there for at least two months because they're BONES! They will never go away! One time I tried to count the bones from my window because it seemed like an awful lot and there were at least 20 of them. :/

I think they might also just be clumsy, because they've also knocked a window guard and a Puerto Rican flag out their window which of course will remain there for all time. What a view!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:42 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

My neighbour across the street is doing my head in. I was really good friends with her but her constant negativity and back-bitting was just too much for me to be able to deal with and I recognised her behaviours was impacting on my mental health so of course I phased her out. I still feel like I am under a magnifying glass in this house though. She notices EVERYTHING and isn't afraid to gossip. She doesn't actually see wrong in talking about other people's private affairs. She even discussed my mental health with an ex-colleague of mine! Unfortunately we have the same work hours and live the same distance from work as each other so usually we leave and arrive home at the same time. To dodge her I've found myself either leaving for work really early or else late.

It is doing my head in. I wish I could move now! I love my house and where I live but she makes me want to move.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

Sadly for me I'm waiting and wondering when my crazy neighbor is going to call The City on me because of my "tall grass and weeds" in my yard which are daffodils and lenten roses and hostas. I'm hoping she's gotten her meds straightened out this year and is easing off her alcohol consumption. This woman probably hasn't reached her 40s yet but she's already the old bitty of the neighborhood.