| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Official "It's not Christmas yet, goddammit!" thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:27 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

nickvicious wrote:
At least I can look forward to my favorite X-mas tradition: walking around looking at lights with a mug of hot chocolate spiked with peppermint schanpps. That's the stuff. Peppermint schanpps saved X-mas for me.

I think this tradition may need to be adopted in my household!
I uncheck all my xmas music in my iTunes so it doesn't drive me crazy during the rest of the year, but I admit to having itchy fingers to check off the Sufjan Stevens xmas tracks. I don't know, as soon as the dark nights start coming earlier I really get a lot of comfort out all the holiday traditions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:31 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Whatever, haters. I'm looking forward to Christmas. Especially looking forward to finding out what spin the Koreans give it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:35 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I know it's early, but I don't care. I love Chrimmas time and I am so ready.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I like my holidays one at a time. My brain can't handle more than that. Black Friday is the beginning of X-mas for me. shiitake, I still have Halloween decorations up! There is a 7 foot tall pumpkin headed scarecrow on my front porch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:27 pm 
Dead by dawn

fresh_paint wrote:
I'm the type of person who could listen to Christmas music all year long, provided it's not that terrible Wham! song that gets waaaaay too much airtime during the holidays.

Ack! I have had that Wham! song Freedom stuck in my head ever since I read this which is dumb because it's not even the song you were talking about. I think I'd rather listen to Christmas music in August than have "I don't want your freeeeedom..." running through my head!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:33 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

monkeytoes wrote:
fresh_paint wrote:
I'm the type of person who could listen to Christmas music all year long, provided it's not that terrible Wham! song that gets waaaaay too much airtime during the holidays.

Ack! I have had that Wham! song Freedom stuck in my head ever since I read this which is dumb because it's not even the song you were talking about. I think I'd rather listen to Christmas music in August than have "I don't want your freeeeedom..." running through my head!

I'm sorry... I didn't mean to. :(

Here, get this stuck in your head instead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

mel c wrote:
I bought some Christmas Dots today, so I'm pretty stoked on that. That's about as far as my holiday cheer goes.

Are you joking? Because I cannot take this if you are joking! I didn't know Christmas Dots existed! Off to Walgreens I will go!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:51 pm 
Dead by dawn

fresh_paint wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
fresh_paint wrote:

I'm sorry... I didn't mean to. :(

Here, get this stuck in your head instead.

Oh, I get that one stuck in my head often. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Neighbors putting up christmas lights!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm happy it's on it's way, only because the new house will be fun to decorate. But I've been thinking that since July. It doesn't mean I want to see mistletoe just yet. I was looking for discounted halloween decorations the day before halloween, and they were already gone. No bargains for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mixmaster_mo wrote:
Are you joking? Because I cannot take this if you are joking! I didn't know Christmas Dots existed! Off to Walgreens I will go!

Vanilla snow-capped cherry and lime Dots! It's like they took regular fruit Dots, got rid of the bullshiitake flavors, then added a layer of candy corn Dots.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:42 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

mel c wrote:
mixmaster_mo wrote:

Vanilla snow-capped cherry and lime Dots! It's like they took regular fruit Dots, got rid of the bullshiitake flavors, then added a layer of candy corn Dots.

BRB, stroganoffing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:05 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I'm waiting for my fundamentalist neighbors to drag out their plastic nativity lawn statues. Should be happening any day now. Then it's christmas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:55 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Dots! I haven't had a gumdrop of any sorts in years, but those make me want to run out to the store NOW to find some!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:06 am 
Saggy Butt

I went to CVS on Halloween to buy candy for the trick-or-treaters. It was about 3:00 ON HALLOWEEN and they were already clearing out Halloween stuff and putting out Christmas stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:54 am 
Dildo Queen

i think december 1st is an appropriate date to begin decorating and playing christmas carols. i understand that people are already shopping for christmas/preparing for it, and that's fine, but i really don't think lights should be up, or stores should be decorated yet.

also, i like the fact that i'm atheist and i celebrate christmas. (i say this sarcastically. it's just...amusing.)
i find it romantic, not the idea of jesus, but the idea of being cosy in my house, hanging out watching movies with friends and family, baking, giving people gifts. it's a nice time. i like when people make gifts for eacho ther like paintings or knitted forking hats and diva cup cosies! my friend is knitting me stuff for xmas i'm exciteddddd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:21 am 
Naked Under Apron

There's some TV channel that has a "25 Days of Christmas" special thing in December, with Christmas movies and stuff. I've been seeing commercials for the "Countdown to 25 Days of Christmas," which is essentially the same sorts of movies, but starting ten days earlier.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:35 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Town already has the lights up. Whhhhyyyy???

I fail to get excited over Christmas, other than the time off school.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:15 am 
Thinks Stonewall's jerquee tastes GREAT!

This thread is too christmas-y. I'm gettin burned out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:45 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I live in the Bible Belt so we've already started getting the goofballs that pass out those "Keep the Christ in Christmas" pamphlets. Bless their hearts.

Though, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was an entire Hanukkah endcap at my local Target! Here! In the South! And brace yourselves: it was put up before the Christmas section was completed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:21 am 
ugh

I agree that it is too early, but I don't think it's that unusual to see Christmas stuff out this early, is it? When I worked in retail (about 7 years ago at Dollar tree, woo!), we started putting out Christmas decorations in August. It started with a very small section, but still!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:23 am 
Huffs Nooch

I'm not ready for all the hype, and I'm definitely in the camp of "it can wait until after Thanksgiving". I can live with Black Friday being the official start of the xmas season. I cannot live (ok, I can, because I have, but I'm NOT happy) with them decorating (kid you not) BEFORE Halloween. THAT's just not playing fair, but, I can kind of understand it, because the economy's been so poor, and because more people are catching on to the emptiness of consumerism, the retailers have to try so much harder to break even.

As an anti-consumer, myself, I'll be avoiding the mall and other major retailers, making the handful of gifts I send out, and having a nice, quiet Solstice celebration. I'll only have it on the 24th because of my work schedule. I love the traditions of celebrating the return of the sun and the lengthening days, a festival to break up the darkest time of the year, and all the pagan trappings of the original, older holiday. THAT's what I'll be celebrating.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:31 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

This is the thread for me. I am soooo with you Desdimona. Do you want to get married and move to Europe?
I used to enjoy Christmassy stuff like putting up a christmas tree, baking christmas cookies, and even christmas carols. But then the stores and neighbors started putting up their displays, decorations, and playing xmas music earlier each year and kept it going later each year. TV and radio commercials for xmas stuff start a little earlier each year. Christmas lasts for almost 3 months now! That's one quarter of the year! By the time this year's xmas crepe starts coming out at the beginning of November, I still haven't recovered from the xmas crepe that was still going on at the end of last January! And I don't spend any time at all at the mall. I'm just getting all of this from grocery shopping, going out to eat, turning the radio on, or walking down my block! Years ago, Thanksgiving was the kickoff for the xmas season to begin, now it seems that Halloween is. I went into a store on Halloween day to pick up a last touch for my costume, to discover the xmas aisle being assembled next to the Halloween aisle. There has also been overlap on my block where some neighbors still have their Halloween decorations up while others have already put up their xmas decorations. I think the bad economy has been driving the ridiculously early onset of xmas propaganda. If stores make the majority of their profit during the xmas season, and profits are way down, maybe they are hoping that if they add another month of xmas "cheer" we will all start shopping sooner and keep mindlessly shopping until midnight December 24.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:53 am 
Member type 4

I've never really been one for Christmas. This is my first year being single during the holidays in 7 years, so I'm insanely excited about not having to buy an insane amount of crepe for a significant other. No awkward holiday dinners with his family where they, even though they've had years to come to terms with my veganism, still don't understand why I won't eat chicken because, "it's just chicken."

I've been liberated from holiday hell! I'm not even flying to the south to visit my family because 1-they're bonkers, 2-they don't do shiitake for the holidays anyway, 3-why spend 4x as much green flying during the holiday season when I could fly for $70 bucks during a boring month? Boring wins, every time.

Living in NYC for my first holiday season means it's going to get thrown in my face like whoa, but I think I can put my blinders on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:21 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

habibivegan wrote:
Though, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was an entire Hanukkah endcap at my local Target! Here! In the South! And brace yourselves: it was put up before the Christmas section was completed.

The first day of Chanukah is almost a month before Christmas this year. Not that it makes much sense to be setting up Chanukah stuff this early either.