| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 am 
Dildo Queen

Erinnerung wrote:
Sitcoms drive me batty. There seems to be a common occurrence of people coming in the front door and then leaving it open, seriously, when you come home do you just leave your bloody front door wide open?

and wearing their shoes in the house STOP IT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:50 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Fee wrote:
And when they leave a meal they've just gotten or taken one or two bites of - box that shiitake!

EXACTLY. What kind of message does that send? "Oh it's totally okay to waste food, people! Do it! I'm doing it and I'm on TV! So I MUST be right!"

Organarchists Unite

Vegan Sushi Roll Pillows & More!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:14 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I really have a problem with mouth sounds. Usually happens when someone is eating and I can hear the movement of the food in the eater's mouth. Or, it could just be that they have an over production of saliva and I can hear that slight smacking between his or her cheeks or lips and that makes me want to cry. I know it's not their fault, nor are they doing it on purpose. But, it's gotten to the point where I'll just plug my ears if my girlfriend chews too loud, and I'm pretty sure that's even more offensive than the actual chewing.

Otherwise, I'm fairly easygoing.

Post subject: Re: bring me a spork
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:15 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

choirqueer wrote:
Aliks wrote:
stephanie wrote:
+ Whenever anyone finds out that I finished high school at 16, there's a beat, and then exactly this: "Wow, you must be really smart!" No, sorry! Now I get to feel super-awkward and explain to you, perfect stranger, how I am not actually smart at all! NOT EVERYONE WHO SKIPS GRADES OR FINISHES HIGH SCHOOL EARLY IS SMART. I just happened to have been cursed with reading and comprehension skills at an early age, and my underfunded rural public school didn't know what the fork to do with a kindergartener who devoured Stephen King novels, so they said hey, send her up a grade so she can be emotionally, physically, and inherently psychologically underdeveloped compared to the rest of her class and wind up a socially maladjusted weirdo for the rest of her life! DEAR POPULAR CULTURE (i.e. last night's episode of "House," where the girl who graduated high school at 15 had a bunch of PhDs and then headed to med school), PLEASE STOP PERPETUATING THIS MYTH.
I'm so glad my mom did not have me bumped up a grade or two like it was suggested, so sorry you had to go through that! Finally got a teacher who challenged me to read and write more than the rest of the class-it was too much of an effort for others.
I had the opposite problem -- I was way ahead of my classmates and bored out of my mind in school, and begged to skip ahead, and my parents were dead against it, thinking I'd end up a socially maladjusted weirdo. Well, guess what, I ended up a socially maladjusted weirdo anyway...and by high school, I had given up on school altogether, because I wasn't getting anything out of it and nobody cared enough to challenge me intellectually. There was one point at which the school I was at ALMOST convinced my parents to let me accelerate in a few subjects, at the beginning of middle school, but then I had to move schools again, and the new school was a whole year behind the school I'd been at before, so it was a great big waste. So now not only am I a socially maladjusted weirdo, but there are HUGE holes in my education because somewhere around 8th and 9th grade, my brain just shut off.

I can relate -- I mentally died around 8th grade as well. Skipping grades did absolutely nothing for me except further alienate me from my peers. Schools still didn't know what to do with me, so once I was old enough to fly solo, I just skipped a lot of my classes and went to the library or the park to research and read for hours every day. I went to a different school every year from 4th to 9th grade and didn't graduate high school; I had to officially "drop out" and get my HSED on the day my class graduated, lest I continue to be automatically re-enrolled until I was 18. It really sucked trying to get into the full-time work force at 16, but I did, and I've been there ever since, because college was never even a distant financial possibility. Since I didn't graduate or go to college, and since I'm not very bright in all matters that are not related to reading, I make photocopies, remove and replace staples, do data entry, and stare at a cubicle wall for 9+ hours every day, which is a perfect combination of soul- and mind-deadening. Don't worry, you didn't miss much! Heh.

So I guess you could say that one of my pet peeves is the ever-widening disparity between the education that is provided to wealthy and upper-middle class people and the education that is provided to people on welfare. Lolzzzzzz.

Another: Hapless, soft-bodied humans who either leisurely stroll or dart into oncoming traffic. Especially at night. It's inexplicably common in the neighborhood I work in, and I have no idea why. I've almost plowed into so many people who have casually sauntered into the path of my car while wearing all black, it's terrifying. Also, people who roll their baby strollers or push their tiny toddlers into the street against the light, presumably because they know the cars will wait. My brakes and nerves are pretty worn down.

And another: I talk too forking much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

loghead wrote:
I really have a problem with mouth sounds. Usually happens when someone is eating and I can hear the movement of the food in the eater's mouth.

This is why I hate when someone talks with their mouth full. It has nothing to do with the manners aspect of it, it just SOUNDS disgusting.

Post subject: Re: bring me a spork
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:05 am 
Dead by dawn

choirqueer wrote:
I had the opposite problem -- I was way ahead of my classmates and bored out of my mind in school, and begged to skip ahead, and my parents were dead against it, thinking I'd end up a socially maladjusted weirdo. Well, guess what, I ended up a socially maladjusted weirdo anyway...and by high school, I had given up on school altogether, because I wasn't getting anything out of it and nobody cared enough to challenge me intellectually. There was one point at which the school I was at ALMOST convinced my parents to let me accelerate in a few subjects, at the beginning of middle school, but then I had to move schools again, and the new school was a whole year behind the school I'd been at before, so it was a great big waste. So now not only am I a socially maladjusted weirdo, but there are HUGE holes in my education because somewhere around 8th and 9th grade, my brain just shut off.

I just have to say that you don't come across as a socially maladjusted weirdo at all (well, except to the extent that we're all a little weird and that's what makes us interesting.) I think you come across as intelligent and wise, as a holder of strong opinions who is articulate enough to communicate them, and an effective educator and advocate (I've learned a lot from your contributions to discussions about sex and gender.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

When the top of my banana does not want to open and I wind up squishing it from yanking too hard! Grrrrrrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I know it's been said many times but: Slow walkers who take up the whole sidewalk, or who block me in some way. How in the name of carrots do you get through life moving like a turtle?

I am a very fast walker and this is regular occurence.

And the people wearing earbuds who are startled when I come up behind them and pass them. Really? Especially when I am running, and especially if they clutch their heart or stop dead and look shocked. I am neither big nor scary and I do my best to give the people I am passing a wide berth so I won't startle them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:44 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

People using words like rhubarb, spaz/spastic as an insult (funny or otherwise). I know many Americans are desensitised to it but it's. just. awful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:53 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

One upsmanship. That person who just has to have the last word. Or to have it worse that you, or better than you.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:01 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

People who don't think i'm awesome. Total dickholes.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

People who step outside to have a cigarette directly in front of the wide open door or window to wherever they just stepped out of. Thank you for smoking outside, except all your smoke is now inside, because you are an idiot. You can't move a few feet up or down the sidewalk, or away from the building or something?? Especially the laundromat. I know you are bored and waiting for laundry to dry is boring, and I know you can't smell it, but you just puffed and then trailed a giant cloud of stench into the laundromat to lurk and settle around everyone's clean laundry and it is so, so gross.

kfad wrote:
I hate when cupboard doors are left open. It drives me batty.

This little dog will close the doors for you! He also puts his bowl in the dishwasher, which made me SCREAM with died-of-cuteness.

Amy wrote:
It really grosses me out when someone leaves the kitchen sponge in the sink, all wet and cold and covered in food bits.

EWWWWW this too!

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Mack the Spork wrote:
People who step outside to have a cigarette directly in front of the wide open door or window to wherever they just stepped out of. Thank you for smoking outside, except all your smoke is now inside, because you are an idiot. You can't move a few feet up or down the sidewalk, or away from the building or something?? Especially the laundromat. I know you are bored and waiting for laundry to dry is boring, and I know you can't smell it, but you just puffed and then trailed a giant cloud of stench into the laundromat to lurk and settle around everyone's clean laundry and it is so, so gross.

Totally gross, rude, and obnoxious! I said cigarette smoke before, it's my #1 pet peeve of all time. I hate being forced to breathe cigarette smoke. It makes me want to cry.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:27 pm 
Member type 4

Arisaig wrote:
I know it's been said many times but: Slow walkers who take up the whole sidewalk, or who block me in some way. How in the name of carrots do you get through life moving like a turtle?

Bob and weave... bob and weave... all pedestrians need to master this to walk efficiently.

I hate it when I'm walking down the street and, for no forking reason, one person or a group of people stops walking without warning causing a near collision. It makes me want to rip their hair out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:31 pm 
Member type 4

GraciaKai wrote:
Mack the Spork wrote:

Totally gross, rude, and obnoxious! I said cigarette smoke before, it's my #1 pet peeve of all time. I hate being forced to breathe cigarette smoke. It makes me want to cry.

I'm so finding a way to break into the internet so I can smoke inside of the PPK forum. *evil cackle* You'll smell me foreveeeeeeer.

No, seriously. At work I walk across the street (granted, across the street = central park north) and smoke so it doesn't bother my coworkers (we all work in an office with big ol' windows out front). The nursing home residents next door to us, however, do not give a shiitake. They park their walkers (complete with ironic oxygen tank), literally, in front of our door or someone's window. They're out there so long that it makes me wonder if they're trying to kill a whole pack just to avoid going back inside.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My serious pet peeves are:

People who litter. There's no excuse. Littering is never a crime of passion.

People who smoke with their children around, in the house or in the car. I can get up and leave someone's house if I don't want to choke down cancerous fumers, little kids can't. I was raised in a house full of smoke and if I got sick, I stayed sick for a long time because I didn't even have clean air to breathe.

People who leave their dogs outside to bark, especially during off hours. I don't want to listen to your dog barking its head off while i'm trying to sleep. Tennessee has a noise ordinance, and I called the cops on some neighbors several times and they still just did. Not. Get it. Their dog would bark all night because it wanted in!

People who don't put their carts back in the cart corral. It's triply offensive if they leave it in the loading ramp area of a handicapped spot, or in the spot itself. I've seen people leave carts in an empty space two spaces away from the corral.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:45 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I really don't like when people stare, but to stare at me on purpose just to annoy me?? AARRRGGG STOP ITTTT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:50 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
People who don't put their carts back in the cart corral. It's triply offensive if they leave it in the loading ramp area of a handicapped spot, or in the spot itself. I've seen people leave carts in an empty space two spaces away from the corral.
[/list]

I'm a disabled driver/parker (walking wounded) and it's amazing how many other disabled drivers leave their trolleys against my car or blocking the path of wheelchair/scooter users.

Actually disabled drivers in the UK are my pet peeve, so many of them (us!) are shiitake and think they own the road. They think the parking badge allows them to abandon their cars willy nilly and don't give a shiitake if they cause a bottleneck in the city centre because the police don't like to book them.

And don't get me started on all those forkers who give me dirty looks for using my parking badge but don't bat an eyelid when my 71 your old (much more able bodied) mother is with me. Ageist kumquats!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:52 pm 
Member type 4

thisheregiraffe wrote:
I really don't like when people stare, but to stare at me on purpose just to annoy me?? AARRRGGG STOP ITTTT

SUBWAY! (the train, not the odd-smelling sandwich shop) Uhg!

Next time, I'm going to walk up to the person, get in their face, and stare at them blankly until they flinch. I'll resume my previous activity after that.

Too bad I'm much too lazy to actually do that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:56 pm 

fabulous_muscles wrote:
thisheregiraffe wrote:

Next time, I'm going to walk up to the person, get in their face, and stare at them blankly until they flinch. I'll resume my previous activity after that.

I'm going to follow you around staring and when you come up and stare me back I'm going to wait a few seconds then honk your hooters*

*at least that's what I would do if I was a pervert living in America, so, watch yourself with that tactic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:00 pm 
Member type 4

fezza wrote:
fabulous_muscles wrote:
thisheregiraffe wrote:

I'm going to follow you around staring and when you come up and stare me back I'm going to wait a few seconds then honk your hooters*

*at least that's what I would do if I was a pervert living in America, so, watch yourself with that tactic.

You just made me snort. Not laugh, but snort.

I share my office with someone who is currently 6 feet away from me, mind you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mrsbadmouth wrote:
People who don't think i'm awesome. Total dickholes.

Exactly. People should not only acknowledge our awesomeness but bow down before us.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:18 pm 
Dead by dawn

mrsbadmouth wrote:
People who litter. There's no excuse. Littering is never a crime of passion.

Yes, litterers in general, but especially cigarette butt litterers. There seems to be a blind spot that a lot of smokers have that makes them think cigarette butts don't count as trash. I bet a lot of these people who flick their butts wherever they want (that's my sidewalk too, crasshole!) wouldn't just fling a Snickers wrapper any old place. I always want to be that crazy bisque who picks it up and gives it back to them: "Here, you dropped something." But, ew, cooties.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

fabulous_muscles wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
Mack the Spork wrote:

I'm so finding a way to break into the internet so I can smoke inside of the PPK forum. *evil cackle* You'll smell me foreveeeeeeer.

I will cut you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:26 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Quote:
I hate it when I'm walking down the street and, for no forking reason, one person or a group of people stops walking without warning causing a near collision. It makes me want to rip their hair out
Or when I walk into the grocery store behind someone and they stop just past the door to chat with a friend or make a shopping game plan with their partner or whatever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next