| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:36 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

GraciaKai wrote:
kfad wrote:
I hate when cupboard doors are left open. It drives me batty.

This! Its like the forking Sixth Sense in my house. Close damn cabinet door!

I'm constantly running in the kitchen after my flatmate, closing all the damn doors she's inevitably left open. And what's worse, she leaves the dishwasher open and we have found mice in it before! And this is a girl who's obsessed with hygene and cleans regularly....yet you're okay with having mouse juice on your "clean" dishes? Bah!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:46 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

organarchy wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
kfad wrote:
I hate when cupboard doors are left open. It drives me batty.

This! Its like the forking Sixth Sense in my house. Close damn cabinet door!

AGREED TO THE MOTHERFORKING Nth POWER. I had a roommate like this and I literally could not understand how one could leave the doors open after getting what they needed out of it. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Unless I'm in someone else's kitchen and being extra mindful of my "manners", my brain goes "open cabinet -> take something out of the cabinet. put something back in the cabinet -> close the cabinet" since it's not like a fridge where if you leave it open the food will get ruined. It's not exactly a rational approach to cabinet doors, but it's the subconscious logic I use to justify the habit ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:51 am 

fatcat wrote:
Time left on the microwave. Clear it dammit!

Good one! I get all twitchy with this one.

Most of mine are public transport related.
-People who STAND on the WALKING side of the escalator in the tube.
-People who let their little kids (like...really little) have their own seat during rush hour. They can sit on your lap or in the forking empty stroller you just took them out of.
-People who insist on bringing the most ridiculously large strollers on the tube. They don't fit and they expect everyone who passes to help them carry the damn thing up flights of stairs. These SUV strollers are annoying enough on the sidewalk. Buy a small folding one for travel. My parents did and I survived.

Also, a group of slow walkers who walk in a horizontal line on the sidewalk or worse, a bridge. There's this Starbucks I go to that's in a pretty touristy location, right on the other side of a little footbridge. Every forking time I try to get a cup of coffee, there's guaranteed to be a group of tourists doing just this. Walking so. damn. slowly.

Many thanks, thread for turning me into a crotchety old man. Get off my lawn!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:55 am 

Fee wrote:
GreatGarbanzo wrote:
Fee wrote:
On tv shows and movies when there's a big misunderstanding and then one of the main characters comes out never hearing the truth and just forgives blindly. Drives me bat shiitake.

This, and also, it irritates me to see 555 as the phone prefix. Really? Will people actually think that a phone number belongs to the celebrity (or worse, the character) and attempt to psycho-stalk someone based on a phone number they saw on TV?

The fact that when talking on the phone on TV, there is almost never a bye on both ends to signify the end of the conversation. You're lucky if you even get one bye. Most of the time they just end. JUST SAY BYE.

When I first moved to London, I shiitake you not, the question I got asked most often was "why don't American's ever say 'bye' on the phone?"

Also, "Do you guys really have those red cups at parties?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:46 am 
Saggy Butt

If people weren't mostly crassholes, people like me would be more willing to take public transportation... You know... If I didn't live in Phoenix where half of the buses break down and there is constantly a drivers strike going on. :-p

Another pet peeve: Mr Scruffle thinks it's cute to lick me... Yes, my boyfriend will randomly lick me and when I squirm and say "ewwww! Stop it!" He just thinks it's funny. Grrrrrrrrr! So... Much... Fury...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:33 am 
Tofu Pup

Yes yes yes on the cabinet doors- my husband never ever closes the cabinet doors. He's about a foot taller than me, and rarely runs the risk of bonking his head, and somehow he's never home when I do it. But what's worse, he also leaves all the drawers and the dishwasher open too. You'd think we were in some movie where the criminals had just rifled through all our stuff half the time. grrr.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 am 
Bought a wardrobe full of Affliction t-shirts

the cabinet doors being open didn't used to bug me, but as i get older i find i'm turning into my mother.

shoes on my carpet! when we got married i tried to break the boys of wearing their shoes, or at least come in through the back door. didn't work. they all got home one evening to find the front room carpetless, because i was tired of trying to scrub out the pig path.

i now have a strip of extra carpet about 16 inches wide running the length of the living room. if you have to walk through with your shoes on (carrying groceries, etc) you'd damn well better stay on the strip.

edit for clarity

Last edited by barbie on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:16 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

It really grosses me out when someone leaves the kitchen sponge in the sink, all wet and cold and covered in food bits. Or worse, they leave it floating in something, like dirty food-y water in a pan. Rinse it off, squeeze it out, and put it on the counter!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:00 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

choirqueer wrote:

Where can I get one of these? And can I use them as projectile against the cyclists who ride alongside their friends on crowded streets and who, inevitably, are deaf to the ringing of my bell?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:02 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

And to add another pet peeve that is going to get to me in about two hours when it's dark outside: Cyclists who do not have any lights on their bike. Or only tiny reflective stripes somewhere hidden from view. It is dark out. I can't see you. I don't want to die.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

When people buy very small children (like 18 months old) their own dessert, soda, other unhealthy yucky thing. My issue isn't with them eating it, feed your kid what you will but do they seriously need their own two scoop of ice cream instead of a bite of yours? When I worked at Cold Stone I wouldn't offer even though we were supposed to, and if they did want one I'd suggest the "kiddie" size and even then people would get a "small". Oh and I really loved having dinner with a couple who gave their not quite 2 year old Diet Coke in a sippy cup.

That last sip of coconut water that gets stuck in the container...I can hear it in there, come out coconut water!!!

Every weekend how a bunch of people watching the university football make their FB statuses: "Go Cats!" "Let's Go (University)!". I mean, I know not everyone can have as important and awesome statuses as I do, but geez guys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:01 am 
Saggy Butt

Fee wrote:
GreatGarbanzo wrote:
Fee wrote:
On tv shows and movies when there's a big misunderstanding and then one of the main characters comes out never hearing the truth and just forgives blindly. Drives me bat shiitake.

This, and also, it irritates me to see 555 as the phone prefix. Really? Will people actually think that a phone number belongs to the celebrity (or worse, the character) and attempt to psycho-stalk someone based on a phone number they saw on TV?

The fact that when talking on the phone on TV, there is almost never a bye on both ends to signify the end of the conversation. You're lucky if you even get one bye. Most of the time they just end. JUST SAY BYE.

Sitcoms drive me batty. There seems to be a common occurrence of people coming in the front door and then leaving it open, seriously, when you come home do you just leave your bloody front door wide open? They also never turn off the lights when they leave a room, which I just find bizarre.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Post subject: bring me a spork
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:07 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

+ People who don't say please/thank you

+ People who take time to ask me or write a note asking me to make a copy of something and bring it to them when I am done, even though the copy machine is directly -- DIRECTLY, maybe 18 inches away, no one sits closer to it than I do -- next to my desk

+ Anyone asking me to do anything that takes them longer to explain to me than it would take if they just did it themselves

+ When people I don't know very well come over and un-alphabetize parts of my behemoth record collection just to see if I'll notice (spoiler alert: I always do) because I "clearly have OCD" or am "way too organized"

+ Whenever anyone finds out that I finished high school at 16, there's a beat, and then exactly this: "Wow, you must be really smart!" No, sorry! Now I get to feel super-awkward and explain to you, perfect stranger, how I am not actually smart at all! NOT EVERYONE WHO SKIPS GRADES OR FINISHES HIGH SCHOOL EARLY IS SMART. I just happened to have been cursed with reading and comprehension skills at an early age, and my underfunded rural public school didn't know what the fork to do with a kindergartener who devoured Stephen King novels, so they said hey, send her up a grade so she can be emotionally, physically, and inherently psychologically underdeveloped compared to the rest of her class and wind up a socially maladjusted weirdo for the rest of her life! DEAR POPULAR CULTURE (i.e. last night's episode of "House," where the girl who graduated high school at 15 had a bunch of PhDs and then headed to med school), PLEASE STOP PERPETUATING THIS MYTH.

(+ If you are a parent who is debating this decision for your child, don't make your kid skip a grade, please, just sign them up for OM or forensics or debate club)

+ Bicyclists who ride in the middle of the only lane of [car] traffic on streets with demarcated bike lanes

+ Everyone who tells me that I ABSOLUTELY MUST listen to this totally amazing story they just heard on stupid NPR when they know I don't listen to stupid NPR because my horrible ex-boyfriend works for them and he is on the radio, like, all the goddamn time

+ People who try to tell me that my votes and volunteerism do not matter -- sorry, I'm not that jaded and cynical yet

+ The proliferation of all this industry-invented "humane meat" bullshiitake

+ Social networking

+ Republicans!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:50 am 
Chip Strong

I am really tired of people saying "methinks" and referring to female celebrities as "La [surname]", e.g. "La Lohan." These are two signs that I need to stop reading Jezebel comments, like I keep saying I'm gonna do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Lixa wrote:
I am really tired of people saying "methinks" and referring to female celebrities as "La [surname]", e.g. "La Lohan." These are two signs that I need to stop reading Jezebel comments, like I keep saying I'm gonna do.

I'm glad I don't live in your world. That would annoy the crepe out of me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:13 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Maggie Muggins wrote:

Sitcoms drive me batty. There seems to be a common occurrence of people coming in the front door and then leaving it open, seriously, when you come home do you just leave your bloody front door wide open? They also never turn off the lights when they leave a room, which I just find bizarre.

When they're cleaning up after a meal, they get really weird. Like they'll put half the dishes in the dishwasher and wash half or leave half in the sink and it's just plates and silverware. Maybe they're not counting on me being totally bored with their story line and watching their every move instead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Going to work and having dirty asparagus floors to clean, and everyone else acting like there fine. Its almost an odd thing. But it always looks a forking reck! Its awful. I hate my job.

And this is a little more of a rant vs a pet peeve.

I guess it would be people not forkin cleaning up after themselfs.

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh an all of the dumb reality shows! They all suck. I hate MTV!!!

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:27 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Please add to my cabinet door issues the following phone issue.
I answer the phone at my office. I try my hardest to give the caller the best information I can. Sometimes that information is not what the caller wishes to hear. However, at no point will the information change if the caller asks me the same question again. I hate when callers question my knowledge of my job. It is rude and arrogant and demeaning.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:33 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Quote:

And people always just walk right in - no knock, no answering the door. Who does that??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 pm 
Chip Strong

Also: learning that Tim Allen has a new sitcom coming out called "Man Up" reminded me that I can't stand it when people tell people to "man up."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:29 pm 
Dead by dawn

kfad wrote:
Please add to my cabinet door issues the following phone issue.
I answer the phone at my office. I try my hardest to give the caller the best information I can. Sometimes that information is not what the caller wishes to hear. However, at no point will the information change if the caller asks me the same question again. I hate when callers question my knowledge of my job. It is rude and arrogant and demeaning.

My boss will stand there and ask me the same question over and over again, hoping for a different answer. I've tried to tell him it makes me feel like he's questioning my knowledge of my job and/or my honesty, but he keeps doing it. But rude, arrogant and demeaning are par for the course.

Post subject: Re: bring me a spork
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:46 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

stephanie wrote:
+ Whenever anyone finds out that I finished high school at 16, there's a beat, and then exactly this: "Wow, you must be really smart!" No, sorry! Now I get to feel super-awkward and explain to you, perfect stranger, how I am not actually smart at all! NOT EVERYONE WHO SKIPS GRADES OR FINISHES HIGH SCHOOL EARLY IS SMART. I just happened to have been cursed with reading and comprehension skills at an early age, and my underfunded rural public school didn't know what the fork to do with a kindergartener who devoured Stephen King novels, so they said hey, send her up a grade so she can be emotionally, physically, and inherently psychologically underdeveloped compared to the rest of her class and wind up a socially maladjusted weirdo for the rest of her life! DEAR POPULAR CULTURE (i.e. last night's episode of "House," where the girl who graduated high school at 15 had a bunch of PhDs and then headed to med school), PLEASE STOP PERPETUATING THIS MYTH.

I'm so glad my mom did not have me bumped up a grade or two like it was suggested, so sorry you had to go through that! Finally got a teacher who challenged me to read and write more than the rest of the class-it was too much of an effort for others.

I am hating about every other parent at the school pick up line for my kids school. The school has it down to a science-pull over, your kid gets escorted to your door, buckle them in, drive off when it's safe-they can get 5 cars loaded in a few minutes. But lately the parents keep getting out of their car, gossip, grab their kid, then eventually get around to getting their car while I am stuck waiting an extra 10 minutes and my kid is out in the rain. There is nowhere to park or pull over cause the lot is full from the staff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

People who whisper to each other during class. Don't think I can't hear you!

Oh, and when people bring their laptops in class, sit in front of me and proceed to play video games the entire class. I'll admit the Protestant Reformation isn't that exciting but sweet zombie jesus, try to pay attention! Stop distracting everyone behind you!

One more class one, when they text message people on their phones but try to do it covertly. Not fooling anyone!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

People whisper in your classes? Seems like in mine they talk regular volume. It bothers me that they do it and that the teacher doesn't tell them to STFU. I even emailed a teacher once and asked that they please shush the talkers cuz it was distracting, they were super nice about it and kept the class in line after that but I felt like a huge bossy crasshole so I've never done it since.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next