| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Vegan restaurants & NRMs/cults
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:46 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

torque wrote:
VSkeptic, I think Kellogg and the crazy circumstances surrounding his popularity and that era in general would make a great post. I was reading something recently, I think Salt, Sugar, Fat? that talked briefly about it in the chapter about cereal and I thought I had never heard about this period and its associated shenanigans before.

The podcast, Stuff You MIssed in History Class, did an episode on Kellogg fairly recently. I knew he was slightly batty, but I had no idea about some of his more unorthodox ideas. Interesting stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:04 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ooh i will have to look for that. i really like their podcasts (though i haven't heard one in a long time).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:30 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

This probably doesn't fit your topic exactly, but one of the hard parts about being a vegan for close to 10 years and having studied both medicine and molecular biology, I run into a lot of vegans with little to no formal education or good understanding of cellular metabolism trying to explain to me very un-scientific concepts about certain topics in nutrition or agriculture. Now, I'm no fan of the unnecessary and often excessive use of antibiotics and pesticides in agriculture, and I think corporations that own seeds and their genes are pretty frackin' evil, but I feel like some of us are so quick to want to bolster our biases that we like to exaggerate potential harms without their being much evidence to that effect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5