| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan restaurants & NRMs/cults
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 am 
Grandfathered In

Although it does serve Chinmoy right.

All the damn bird paintings.

Would it kill you to paint a snake or something?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 am 
rowdily playing checkers

A week ago I was assuming that maybe I would end up eating at the Sri Chinmoy restaurant in Flushing at least once. Now I am not so sure that maybe I will.

YOU HAVE MOVED ME, SIR.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 am 
Grandfathered In

I used to enjoy eating at Silence Heart Nest. I thought they were nuts, but no one ever pushed anything on me, and I liked the dosas and cilantro chutney.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:00 pm 
Grandfathered In

But the birds!

Good god, man!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:14 pm 
Grandfathered In

Ahhhhh! Get out of my mind!

NO MORE BIRDS!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:14 pm 
Grandfathered In

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:15 pm 
Grandfathered In

Eh. I think I'd rather go back to the birds, actually.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:15 pm 
Grandfathered In

Thanks.

I guess.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:18 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

just mumbles wrote:
A week ago I was assuming that maybe I would end up eating at the Sri Chinmoy restaurant in Flushing at least once. Now I am not so sure that maybe I will.

YOU HAVE MOVED ME, SIR.

I have actually been reconsidering my conclusion on the Sri Chinmoy post after talking with a friend. My main issues were with him personally being controlling, sexually exploitative, economically exploitative of his followers, and his "stunts". Now that he is dead Im not sure how much harm it would do to patronize one of his follower businesses. It wouldnt enrich him anymore...I dont really know....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 pm 

FootFace wrote:
But the birds!

Good god, man!

He claims to have painted over 15 million birds (figure differ but are always in the millions). I remember someone doing the math once and showing how it was highly unlikely that he could do it in the time frame.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:22 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I looked at all those bird pictures, and now I kind of feel like I walk the righteous path and am a vessel through which His Holiness Sri Chinmoy might act in the world?

That's kind of weird, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:29 pm 

I think his lift pics are more interesting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:42 pm 

linanil wrote:
If the African Hebrew Israelites are a cult, sign me up. Their mac n cheese is that good :)

You can always make it yourself...i would add xtra garlic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FootFace wrote:
But the birds!

Good god, man!

Some of those birds look like a big ol' cork and balls. Maybe this should go in the Rorschach thread.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:43 pm 

I just found this today in an article about Julian Assange's Tv show

Quote:
When I first heard “The World Tomorrow” announced, I thought, for some reason, of an odd little story that he told me about being in Denmark, in 2009. At the time, the United Nations Climate Change Conference was being held in Copenhagen, and many activists were protesting it. The police, in response, had acted severely, making mass arrests and openly beating unarmed people with truncheons in front of news cameras. Assange had told me that he suspected the police abuse was worse inside jail than it was on the street, and that he wanted to document it. “I have my Chinese spy camera and all I need to do is make sure I get arrested and smuggle this in,” he said. “I had read ‘Papillon’ and I had read that the prisoners kept cash in rectal repositories. I got together with an Australian cameraman, and we found out where there was going to be a morning protest, and I wrapped my Chinese spy camera in a condom, and rectally deposited it, and taught myself that I am definitely a heterosexual, and a bit uncomfortable, and so now I just need to be arrested with other people.

“So I got to the demonstration and a bunch of protesters are there all wearing the same colored clothes—mostly women, but some men—and these guys were handing out free veg sandwiches and books, and they were really toning down the mood, and making it hard to get arrested. They were unchallenging to the police.

“In the meantime, I am trying to encourage the other protesters: if they were going to take action, they should hurry up and do it. But eventually it got toned down to the degree that unless something happened soon, no one was going to get arrested. Then I saw on the lapel of one women the phrase ‘Supreme Master,’ and on a microphone it said Supreme Master TV, and I pulled one of the women aside and I said, ‘What is this Supreme Master business? It sounds like a cult,’ and she paused very silently, and a serious look came over her face, and she said, ‘What do you mean ‘cult’? Is there a real difference between a cult and a religion?’

“Yeah, well, words are handy, and it seems to me a cult leaves people worse off after they come in and go out, and religion is neutral, or leaves them better off. So I start asking more questions. I ask about money, and she says, ‘Oh, we have this woman, Supreme Master Ching Hai, and she doesn’t ever ask us for money. She is a successful woman, and she has her own clothing store—and she has won many, many prizes for her good work—and this was a New Zealand Anglo-Saxon woman telling me this. And I looked at this picture of Ching Hai, and said, ‘Wow this is really Photoshopped. Are you sure your master is not vain? And she told me, ‘She is very youthful because of her spirituality.’

“So I detach myself from this woman and I go to an older Chinese woman. ‘Where do you come from?’ I ask. ‘Oh, from northern China?’ ‘What about money?’ I ask. ‘And how is it that you are here?’ ‘We sold our house and gave all the money to the Supreme Master,’ she said. ‘Don’t you need a house?’ I ask. ‘No no, no, with what is coming in two years, you don’t need a house.

“I was like, This isn’t happening. This is a vanity cult which has prevented me from getting arrested. And Ching Hai was actually there. She got herself into to the Climate Change Conference, and was handing out a book to delegates; it was hardcover and expensive to produce. It was called the ‘The Dogs in My Life.’ And I am wondering: How do they get their followers? What motivational techniques do they use? I open the book and I see a random page, and I see the Supreme Master with her dog, and I open another random page, and I see another page with her playing with her dog. It is literally just a whole book about her and her pet dogs. And then I look at the bottom of the front page, and in small print it says, ‘By the best-selling author of “The Birds in My Life.”’ She had another book! And then I found that she had a TV station with programming translated into sixty languages across the world: suprememastertv.com.

“There are worse characters than the Supreme Master. It is just so—how can this world…” He stopped and collected his thoughts. “The devil is a comic if this is the world that we live in. I am fascinated by it. They are trying to build a movement, and you have to ask: How much is something genuine, and how much is it the product of hidden social and psychological factors? Why does it sell?”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/n ... z1mfpQJC6t

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:00 pm 

what the fizzle?

http://suprememastertv.com/download/042 ... nglish.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:11 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i was starting to get tetchy reading this thread until that^^ right there, which seems to make me feel a bit less grumpy.

to skip over the cult discussion (which, from the beginning, i was taking the view that cult is not necessarily bad, but seemed to feel like the discussion was going off the rails in any case) i think there is some value in knowing about the backers/people who benefit from businesses I patronize. Yet it can seem overwhelming sometimes to have so much information about why to shop where (or not), and i think often it's necessary to pick your battles or consider the least damaging alternative. I suspect no business would stand up to scrutiny and come out as 100% non-offensive-non-destructive-non-damaging to SOMEONE.

Sometimes the decisions aren't clear, either (should my kid go to a nominally catholic college if i am against the policy of the church? what if the school does good social work that positively affects the community? does that balance out my hate of papal policy?).

Skeptic, I like your articles.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:41 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

sorry, deleted my post. didn't realize this thread was started a long time ago

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:03 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
sorry, deleted my post. didn't realize this thread was started a long time ago

aw but i like zombies...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:09 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Back to the matter at hand...

SkepticalVegan wrote:
what the fizzle?

(crazy letter from Supreme Master Ching Hai)

http://suprememastertv.com/download/042 ... nglish.jpg

What the shiitake?! Extended for half a century starting now, or half a century starting when?

Allow me to interpret her letter through my personal lens:

Quote:
Hey Everyone!

I wanted to send you a letter in which I say some stuff! I have this nice letterhead to fill up, and, well, that takes a bit of talking.

First of all, I'd like to remind you that I exist! I am totally legit, because, you see, I am One of You- a revered world spiritual leader. I know because I affirm that to myself every day!

Second, I think you're awesome (by "I," I mean me, the one who exists [see paragraph 2]). You should feel awesome, because I have recognized you as such! Isn't that an honor?

You're probably curious about who I am by now, if you're not already familiar with my Amazing Works. Rest assured I have a bounty of free literature and TV as well as jewelry, artwork, books of me with animals, holographic clocks, and sassy hats (available for a nominal fee).

<<<< hey, look! My letterhead says you should go vegan! You should really consider that if, you know, you don't want the earth to die in flames tomorrow.

PEACE

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

^^ Perfect! ^^

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:00 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

SkepticalVegan wrote:
fupapack wrote:
Country Life and 7th Day Adventist!

Yes i was considering 7th Day Adventist, I dont know of any restaurants that they own but I know they sell health food. I know some of the research on health and longevity that vegetrians and vegans point to are from 7th Day Adventist populations and not necessarily applicable to the general veg*n population, so that would be an interesting aspect to explore. (Also been kicking around ideas about a post about Kellogg, his quackery and contribution to vegetarianism)

Have not heard of Country Life before, I did a quick search and it appear christian based. Do they have a head leader? I'll have to look into them, thanks.

I grew up in a SDA home (and went to SDA middle and high-schools). I don't believe the church owns any eating establishments persay but the various conferences do own several hospital chains, universities, and at least at points in time have owned healthfood/grocery stores (Apple Valley Market in Berrien Springs, MI used to be owned by the church but was sold to private owners in the last 10-15 years.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:21 am 
Lime and a Coconut

When I lived in Hong Kong for two years, one of the hospitals on the main island was 7th Day Adventist and had a vegan cafeteria. I never ate there myself, but I knew vegetarians who would take the trip out to the hospital to eat at the cafeteria like it was a restaurant :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:02 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
When I lived in Hong Kong for two years, one of the hospitals on the main island was 7th Day Adventist and had a vegan cafeteria. I never ate there myself, but I knew vegetarians who would take the trip out to the hospital to eat at the cafeteria like it was a restaurant :)

People evidently do this in Portland because the food is so good and cheap. As if they don't have enough options!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:12 am 
Chard Martyr

vegimator wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

People evidently do this in Portland because the food is so good and cheap. As if they don't have enough options!

The menu was designed by the dude behind Blossoming Lotus, so it probably is pretty good! I am not into Loving Hut or other culty restaurants, however, the sensibility behind having a vegan restaurant in a hospital is just too convincing to scoff at.

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next