| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan restaurants & NRMs/cults
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:43 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

vijita wrote:
vegimator wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
When I lived in Hong Kong for two years, one of the hospitals on the main island was 7th Day Adventist and had a vegan cafeteria. I never ate there myself, but I knew vegetarians who would take the trip out to the hospital to eat at the cafeteria like it was a restaurant :)

People evidently do this in Portland because the food is so good and cheap. As if they don't have enough options!

The menu was designed by the dude behind Blossoming Lotus, so it probably is pretty good! I am not into Loving Hut or other culty restaurants, however, the sensibility behind having a vegan restaurant in a hospital is just too convincing to scoff at.

But but....people that are sick need comfort food, like McDonalds!!!!

I haven't eaten in a SDA hospital cafeteria since I was in highschool (mom used to work for the SDA network in Orlando) and back then I was on a big anti-veg kick. I'm curious how I would like it these days. If I remember correctly that one did serve dairy and possibly eggs though.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

I used to like going to Five Loaves, a Seventh Day Adventist place in Seattle. It was all kind of gross, salty cafeteria food. I really, really liked it.

But it was pretty, pretty gross.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

yeah i read about folks specifically going to the hospital to eat at the SDA cafeteria while researching about them, sounds a little odd but hey, if the food is good why not i guess. Wanna check out their menus and see the kinda food they serve.
Ive got a vegan Mormon cookbook at home and its totally awful

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:45 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

SkepticalVegan wrote:
Ive got a vegan Mormon cookbook at home and its totally awful

TELL ME MORE.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Lots of casseroles and everything is low fat, high fiber, low salt, low fun.

I've got a strang obsession with Mormons. I've got 2 copies of the Book of Mormon (English & German), Mormon action figures, numerous Mormon movies, & I listen to 3 Mormon/ex-mormon podcasts regularly.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Holy crappers, I just noticed that the vegan mormon cookbook I have has a forward by Neal Barnard. Lol

Last edited by SkepticalVegan on Wed May 23, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:13 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

SkepticalVegan wrote:
I've got a strang obsession with Mormons. I've got 2 copies of the Book of Mormon (English & German), Mormon action figures, numerous Mormon movies, & I listen to 3 Mormon/ex-mormon podcasts regularly.

Same! and I'm really jealous of your Mormon action figures.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:28 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You can find the action figures at Seagull Books or Deseret Books if they have one in your area. You can also get them online, I dream of one day h ing the ultimate play set

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:04 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

SkepticalVegan wrote:
You can find the action figures at Seagull Books or Deseret Books if they have one in your area. You can also get them online, I dream of one day h ing the ultimate play set

as a happily ex mormon there is something both hilarious while simultaneously extremely creepy about those.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I dont really feel like typing out a whole recipe from The Mormon Diet Cookbook but here is the only one I could find online, and its one of the more appealing looking ones

Brownie Oatmeal Cookies

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

So I finally got around to writing a few more posts in this series

#3 Israelites of Jerusalem & Soul Vegetarian
http://skepticalvegan.com/2013/02/26/wo ... egetarian/

#4 Landmark Forum & Cafe Gratitude
http://skepticalvegan.com/2013/08/31/wa ... gratitude/

#5 Falun Gong
http://skepticalvegan.com/2013/09/03/wa ... alun-gong/

I think #6 will be that Yellow Deli place.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:42 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Cafe gratitude is part of landmark forum??? One of my sisters was deep into landmark.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

SkepticalVegan wrote:
I think #6 will be that Yellow Deli place.

oh i live right close to that yellow deli place! it's a sad place, although the appearance of the restaurant is beautiful. i heard they were kicked out of the city in the 70's for abducting children and now they're only allowed to be on their property and not approach the nearby college campus. they're open 24/7 so i figure that helps with the mind control/ separation/ and totalitarian control stuff.

once i was in there with some other people and the workers (followers?) there were talking about how they didn't consume any caffeine. when my friend pointed out that they were drinking Yerbe Mate, which contains caffeine, they were like, "yerbe mate doesn't contain caffeine." and my friend decided to leave well enough alone.

EDA: i guess a subtext of cults might be the people who know very few factual things spreading rumors about them. i don't know if they abducted children. i've never looked into it. funny how you just go along with things bc, "hey, that's bizarre. it's probably even more bizarre"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

chouettes crêpes wrote:
EDA: i guess a subtext of cults might be the people who know very few factual things spreading rumors about them. i don't know if they abducted children. i've never looked into it. funny how you just go along with things bc, "hey, that's bizarre. it's probably even more bizarre"

And I hope to get to the bottom of the child abduction claim, personally I had not heard it before. The Yellow Deli so far is actually the only restaurant Ive written about that im unfamiliar with and I dont know much about the group behind it, I'll likely start some research tonight.

Im also still looking for more ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

alden wrote:
SkepticalVegan wrote:
fupapack wrote:
Country Life and 7th Day Adventist!

Yes i was considering 7th Day Adventist, I dont know of any restaurants that they own but I know they sell health food. I know some of the research on health and longevity that vegetrians and vegans point to are from 7th Day Adventist populations and not necessarily applicable to the general veg*n population, so that would be an interesting aspect to explore. (Also been kicking around ideas about a post about Kellogg, his quackery and contribution to vegetarianism)

Have not heard of Country Life before, I did a quick search and it appear christian based. Do they have a head leader? I'll have to look into them, thanks.

I grew up in a SDA home (and went to SDA middle and high-schools). I don't believe the church owns any eating establishments persay but the various conferences do own several hospital chains, universities, and at least at points in time have owned healthfood/grocery stores (Apple Valley Market in Berrien Springs, MI used to be owned by the church but was sold to private owners in the last 10-15 years.

I've been to a 7th adventist hospital several times because my doctor recommended them to me when I had to get my gallbladder removed and the doctors were so much better than at the public hospital. So I went back there. However I did feel super weird there. They don't push the religion on you but you got all the pamphlets lying around, next to your bed, telling you to be a good christian, everything is closed on saturday. It was especially strange because when you're in a hospital you're vulnerable, maybe scared of death even. It feels vile. But I'd go there again if I had to go to the hospital because they simply have the better doctors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:47 am 
Seagull of the PPK

VSkeptic, I think Kellogg and the crazy circumstances surrounding his popularity and that era in general would make a great post. I was reading something recently, I think Salt, Sugar, Fat? that talked briefly about it in the chapter about cereal and I thought I had never heard about this period and its associated shenanigans before.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:48 am 
Seagull of the PPK

VSkeptic, I think Kellogg and the crazy circumstances surrounding his popularity and that era in general would make a great post. I was reading something recently, I think Salt, Sugar, Fat? that talked briefly about it in the chapter about cereal and I thought I had never heard about this period and its associated shenanigans before.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Kellogg was quite character. I'll have to consider that. Have you seen the Drunk History bit about him?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:00 am 
Seagull of the PPK

no but now i will have to go look for it!!

i may also be stretching your topic but Michio Kushi and George Ohsawa of macrobiotic fame might be similar candidates for future consideration. I have nothing against macro at its most basic and attainable level, if you live in Japan (after all, it does bring people to veganism, and if you live there the food is local and seasonal), but there is a lot of woo that accompanies it and the more you read the crazier it seems to get (eating chicken makes you get a beaky nose, the use of a nail clipper-type gizmo to diagnose chakras, and Ohsawa's maybe-kind-of-neo-nationalist-rhetoric that underlied the whole formation of the system)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

no but now i will have to go look for it!!

i may also be stretching your topic but Michio Kushi and George Ohsawa of macrobiotic fame might be similar candidates for future consideration. I have nothing against macro at its most basic and attainable level, if you live in Japan (after all, it does bring people to veganism, and if you live there the food is local and seasonal), but there is a lot of woo that accompanies it and the more you read the crazier it seems to get (eating chicken makes you get a beaky nose, the use of a nail clipper-type gizmo to diagnose chakras, and Ohsawa's maybe-kind-of-neo-nationalist-rhetoric that underlied the whole formation of the system)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Macrobiotics is a good idea too, especially if I can find an interesting angle on it. One odd thing I seem to remember is that smoking isnt considered bad for you....and in some cases may be good?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Ok I just did a really quick search on macrobiotics and now Im pretty sure Ive got to do a post. I cant believe the stuff I find sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:20 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i hope it was the thing i read that said something like "Most of macrobiotics was outlined as Ohsawa was chainsmoking and chugging Guinness."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Quote:
"Women are by nature Yin (passive, soft, centrifugal). When they become too Yang by taking too much Yang food - the become miserable...they devote themselves to animal pets, or they turn homosexual. Their life is miserable because it violates all natural laws.

...the homosexual and the asexual person are the most pitiful of all - and the literature of the West is littered with their monstrosities ... sexual abnormality can be cured in time by strict adherence to the macrobiotic regime."

-Sakurazawa Ngoiti, Macrobiotics.

Yeah, easy on that Yang food ladies or you might become cat ladies or lesbians /sarcasm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thank you for this series. I think that too many people visit these restaurants without critically examining the beliefs of the groups which run them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next