| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's talk about Time Machine and backing up files!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Okay, so I'm really interested in how you guys back up your computer stuff and how much storage space you have etc.

I have a Macbook Air 13 inch 128GB, which has served me well in the past two years. I run CS6 on it without problems, but I am also pretty good at cleaning it out every once in a while.
Besides from the computer, I have a 350GB external hard drive which is ~5 years, but still runs like a charm. I use that for manually backing up files and I keep my old photos etc. on there.

However, I know that it is completely old school and such a bad idea to only keep one copy of things like old pictures, so I just ordered this 3TB baby for time machine backup. I'm thinking of keeping it at home and then just plugging it in every sunday to do a time machine backup, so I will never be able to lose more than a single week's work.
I'm planning on keeping the other external hard drive as extra storage for old pictures etc, and plugging it in every time I do a time machine backup - do any of you guys know if that is possible? I have also ordered a Nifty Drive and a 64GB micro SD for an extra 50% of storage on my computer - I'm thinking that it will be backed up with the computer and the external hard drive once a week.

In regards to time machine - is it possible to back up both the computer, the micro SD and the external hard drive automatically? I am going to do a super serious clean out when I get the Nifty Drive and then doing a time machine backup, before I move my music files and pictures etc. on to the Nifty. I am planning on keeping as little as possible on my actual computer, because I am going to be using heavier programs now (stuff like 3D drawing programs, AutoCAD, rendering programs etc) and I don't want to crash my computer.

So.. Does this seem like a solid plan?

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about Time Machine and backing up files!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:35 am 
Nailed to the V

I don't think I have anything important on my machine. I typically don't backup my computer, just start over every 7 years or so when it breaks. I'm glad so much is cloud based now. My photos are on facebook and music and movies are largely streamed instead of owned these days.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:22 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

My work machine is auto-autobacked up continuously, because it is someone else's problem. When I'm in NL, I manually back everything up at home with Time Machine. My 1TB drive doesn't do wifi, so I plug it in once a month or so and do it. But since most of my day-to-day stuff is on the work machine, I don't worry about home as much -- only when I work on the laptop from NB's home, then I backup to Dropbox and Time Machine daily.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:27 am 
WELFARIST!

My laptop is old and cranky so I store all of my files on Dropbox.

The place where I work doesn't backup anything for anyone, but I figure if something happens that's not my problem to deal with.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:09 am 
Inflexitarian

I suck at backup, but I don't really have anything vital in my home computer or tablet. Pictures we actually save on discs. When I was writing my thesis I backed it up online. If everything crashes now I'll lose some e-books, but not many, so not a big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:20 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have to store a lot of things for work, so what I do is this-
Current for this year, and last year's documents, stored on my machine and on dropbox (certain folders are automatically stored on dropbox).
Last year and previous (along with my private music collection, photos, etc): stored on an external HD, which I keep somewhere else away from my machine in case of a flood or lightning strike or something wacky.
This way I only actually have to actively back up or move documents once a year, daily stuff is done without my input.

(i don't have issues with the confidentiality of dropbox. if i did, i think i would use carbonite, which people seem to be pretty happy with)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:09 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I use Carbonite and I've been very happy with it so far. I was just counting on a cobbled-together system of discs, external hard drive, cloud, and drop box, but I've been scanning 150 years of family photos and I would be crushed if I lost them. So I started paying for back up.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My using a physical hard drive as a back up is not really about privacy, but about the crazy amount of data that the files I store take up. I have like 100GB of pictures and then a bazillion big files and I can only see that going in one direction from now on. I'd hate to lose my work, as it would basically be like losing my future portfolio, so yeah. Also, I hate having to pay for a subscription. I have a dropbox but only use it for smaller files.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:59 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Well, it's not as though I love paying for a subscription. But for files that are really important or irreplaceable, I think it's a worthwhile investment. Of course, everyone budgets and prioritizes in their own way, but the cost wasn't bad and it might be worth looking into.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:05 pm 
Tofu Pup

smoothie wrote:
In regards to time machine - is it possible to back up both the computer, the micro SD and the external hard drive automatically? I am going to do a super serious clean out when I get the Nifty Drive and then doing a time machine backup, before I move my music files and pictures etc. on to the Nifty. I am planning on keeping as little as possible on my actual computer, because I am going to be using heavier programs now (stuff like 3D drawing programs, AutoCAD, rendering programs etc) and I don't want to crash my computer.

So.. Does this seem like a solid plan?

Yup. That's basically what I do. I have an older Mini plus two external hard drives. The 3TB one is for TimeMachine, the 2TB is where all my pictures, music, and videos live and I keep all thre rest on the Mini's hard drive.

TimeMachine automatically excludes external hard drives, so you just have to go into options in TimeMachine set-up and delete the exception. The same would be true for a thumb drive or whatever. As long as it's connected, TimeMachine can back it up. :0)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im on my second Mac laptop. on my old laptop the Time Machine backed up to an external harddrive for quite awhile and then one day just stopped working and would no longer back up to it.

the only thing we could figure is after awhile it decided it didnt like the external harddrive because it was not an Apple product and somehow was no longer supporting it (not sure if that makes sense)

with my new laptop i dont think we ever managed to get Time Machine to back up to our external hard drive.
i dont know how much effort we put into it though.

all i know is i constantly get messages that my laptop has not backed up for 30 days, 45 days, 83 days, 102 days, etc

i pay $1.99 a month for google storage space and back up all my pictures and music files and other misc files to that. im really anal so i always remember.

my husband also bought me a little mini external drive i sometimes manually put stuff on in chase of the google apocalypse or something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jlm1075 wrote:
TimeMachine automatically excludes external hard drives, so you just have to go into options in TimeMachine set-up and delete the exception. The same would be true for a thumb drive or whatever. As long as it's connected, TimeMachine can back it up. :0)

Oh, this is important knowledge! Is it easy to figure out how to delete the exception? I my new hard drive is arriving in a few days, so I am going to read up on how to make it all work.. I am really excited about getting it all to work out. I don't know why this is so exciting! The whole thing that got me going was working on my portfolio and realizing that I have like 2 years of work on my computer. It's pictures of month long projects, models, 3D models, photos from study trips etc.. It would be horrible to lose it all.

I'm getting a new camera next month, so it's another reason to make sure my setup is up to date.. Speaking of which: upgrading to the new OSx - does that seem like a good idea, when I'm on a mid 2012 Macbook Air? I am worried that my computer will crash, because the requirements are more advanced than my hardware, as far as I can read up on? Would it be possible to back up my computer with Time Machine, then install the new software and then if I hate it, just re-install the backed up version of my computer from Time Machine?
The silly reason that I want the new software update is, that I desperately want to buy the Pages-app from Apple (it's so simple and awesome!) and it is not compatible with this version of OSx..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:01 am 
Level 7 Vegan

LisaPunk wrote:
the only thing we could figure is after awhile it decided it didnt like the external harddrive because it was not an Apple product and somehow was no longer supporting it (not sure if that makes sense)

This isn't actually possible (Time Machine isn't that smart and Apple also doesn't make its own drives -- as long as you're using a drive formatted Mac OS X Extended Journaled it should do fine) so my guess is that you got a corrupted backup somewhere which often makes Time Machine go "backup failed". That is a relatively straightforward, if tedious thing to fix. Alternately the drive could be failing which happened to me earlier this year.

Sorry, this was a procrastination exercise for me. Just in case you want to use Time Machine again in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:33 am 
Seagull of the PPK

or perhaps you lost the driver? I have a lot of peripherals on my computer and inexplicably (it used to be after updates but now i control updates and it stopped happening) drivers would suddenly not be found for my extra monitor, or for the language support, or for my translation memory software.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:04 am 
Tofu Pup

smoothie wrote:
Oh, this is important knowledge! Is it easy to figure out how to delete the exception? I my new hard drive is arriving in a few days, so I am going to read up on how to make it all work.. I am really excited about getting it all to work out. I don't know why this is so exciting! The whole thing that got me going was working on my portfolio and realizing that I have like 2 years of work on my computer. It's pictures of month long projects, models, 3D models, photos from study trips etc.. It would be horrible to lose it all.

I'm getting a new camera next month, so it's another reason to make sure my setup is up to date.. Speaking of which: upgrading to the new OSx - does that seem like a good idea, when I'm on a mid 2012 Macbook Air? I am worried that my computer will crash, because the requirements are more advanced than my hardware, as far as I can read up on? Would it be possible to back up my computer with Time Machine, then install the new software and then if I hate it, just re-install the backed up version of my computer from Time Machine?
The silly reason that I want the new software update is, that I desperately want to buy the Pages-app from Apple (it's so simple and awesome!) and it is not compatible with this version of OSx..

It should be pretty clear. TimeMachine will automatically exclude the drive that it's backing up to so you should see that one listed as well as any other external drives. I named one external drive TimeMachine and the other Multimedia. It's been awhile since I set it up, but I think it listed them by name?

I have a late 2009 mini running the current OS without any problems. I'd definitely back up before updating. I assume you downgrade the OS by restoring from the back up, but I've never had to do it. I imagine it's pretty simple as basically everything has been on my Mac.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

zwingtip wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

This isn't actually possible (Time Machine isn't that smart and Apple also doesn't make its own drives -- as long as you're using a drive formatted Mac OS X Extended Journaled it should do fine) so my guess is that you got a corrupted backup somewhere which often makes Time Machine go "backup failed". That is a relatively straightforward, if tedious thing to fix. Alternately the drive could be failing which happened to me earlier this year.

Sorry, this was a procrastination exercise for me. Just in case you want to use Time Machine again in the future.

it may have been the drive was failing we had it for several years. i know recently our backup drive did die. im not 100% sure it was the same one but i think it was. i guess at the end of the day it makes me wonder what the point of the external drive is if it's just going to die with all of your files on it. i guess that's why all the cloud based stuff is good.