| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Faux fur, yea or nay?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

How do you feel about wearing faux fur?

I have been looking for a new winter coat since going vegan almost four years ago. I've been wearing my old wool coat, but it's really starting to become ratty. It's always been hard for me to find flattering coats that actually close over my boobs, and finding one without wool is even more difficult. Last week I saw that my favorite boob-friendly company had a quilted coat that was 100% polyester but with a (removable) faux fur trimmed hood. I ordered it and it fits and is really flattering. So yay! New winter coat!

My only question is about the faux fur. I can't really decide how I feel about wearing it. (It's definitely faux. It feels faux and you can see where the fibers were cut rather than tapering like real fur, so I'm not worried it's mislabled fur. ) I wasn't sure from the description if it was the trim or the hood that was removable, but it's the hood. I could definitely wear it without the hood, but to be honest, it's actually a lot cuter with the hood. So yeah, this is purely an aesthetic question and totally frivolous. On the one hand, I don't want to promote the look of fur. On the other, I have no qualms about wearing fake leather, no matter how realistic looking. It's nowhere near winter coat weather, so I've got plenty of time to think about it. I'm curious how other people feel about wearing faux fur on stuff like this.

ETA: This is the coat if anyone is interested.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Post subject: Re: Faux fur, yea or nay?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

I personally don't wear faux fur because I think it's hideous looking, and I understand not wanting to seem like you're promoting fur because I've been through that battle with myself. However, it's not real fur, you need to be warm during the winter and if you really become too self-conscious about it then you can always remove the hood.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

to me usually the coats that have a trimmed hood are really obvious if they are fake or not. if it fits you and keeps you warm i would just wear it. if you feel totally uncomfortable just take the hood off and wear a hat if it's cold.

theres something about those trimmed hoods that at least to me it's really easy to spot fake vs real.

i have a faux fur coat i bought at a thrift store when i was in college and it actually no longer fits me since i am much chubbier than i was in college now but if you look at it it's very obviously fake. usually i dont really like faux fur but i do like this one coat i have and cant seem to let go of it even though it really doesnt fit anymore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

YAY! I like wearing faux fur. It looks obvious to me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just read an article on jezebel about how some faux fur was just discovered to be actual raccoon dog fur so now I'd be super freaked about buying it. But before I read that article I thought faux was fine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:48 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah,I know about the problem with some faux not actually being faux, but I trust this company and held my breath that when it got here, I would be able to tell. It's realistic looking, but nowhere near as soft as real fur and when I asked my boyfriend what he thought, he pointed out the cut fiber vs. tapered hair thing, so I'm pretty confident it really is faux. Otherwise I would have returned it and complained to the company.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:07 am 
Not NOT A Furry

As long as it doesn't look real, I'm generally fine with it; we wear faux leather, why are we so much more careful about faux fur? For me at least, it's the lingering pregan idea that fur is more cruel than leather. Plus, many people associate fur with wealth and luxury, so it's a class signifier in addition to being cruel.

Lepelaar, that's an interesting company! I'm curious about their other clothes now...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:08 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I get pretty weird about even faux-leather. my shoes are microfibre, but I think the fact it's leather-ish is coincidental. I wouldn't wear faux-fur but at the same time won't really care if someone else does..

then again I've never worn any (faux-)fur, so I have no idea if it serves significant practical purpose, or if it's just mostly fashion. if it's practical, go for it eh.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:49 am 
***LIES!!!***

I kind of love faux fur. I say go for it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:10 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I don't like the look of faux fur personally, it's not for me. And also the added fear now that things labelled faux are actually real.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:16 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My super warm winter boots are pregan and they are synthetic but they have this stupid faux fur trim that I now hate. I'll wear them most places when it's really cold/snowy, but I always have this conundrum when I'm going to fur protests or other vegan-ish things - will someone mistake it for real fur? Will they get mad at me for promoting the look of fur? Etc. etc.

Anyway, ultimately I think you need to do what makes sense for you and keeps you warm!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have no problem with faux fur in fashion or in relation to being vegan. But I've never been a fur or leather person, real, fake or otherwise. Just not my thing fashion wise. I even tend to stay away from leather looking shoes cause I just don't like the way they look normally.

I say wear the hell out of it if you like the way it looks on you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:18 am 
WRETCHED

paprikapapaya wrote:
I don't like the look of faux fur personally, it's not for me. And also the added fear now that things labelled faux are actually real.

Yeah, this is me. It is kind of annoying because when I did look at jackets to see the options, faux fur seems to be in all of them. I hate the look of fur even if it isn't real. And then yes, I have that paranoia because a few years ago, it was revealed that in a lot of faux fur jackets, that some of them were real fur but of dogs... and obviously the companies that did it didn't want to say 'we use dog fur' because somehow it sounds so much better to say rabbit, fox or some other animal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:47 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Personally, I avoid it for all the same reasons everyone has already said (I don't really like the look of it, I don't like the idea that "fur" is fashionable and the whole real labelled as fake business). But! If you need a coat and you like it, I say go for it. It sounds like it's definitely faux and shopping for coats is such a giant pain in the asparagus.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:10 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'm a pretty staunch supporter of 'faux' anything, I don't think it promotes the original substance, I think it provides more reason and more customer base for companies to start making the switch from the real thing to the faux thing. To me it's the same idea as that 'just mayo' or beyond meat. If vegans stop wearing anything that remotely looks fur-ish, it's not going to stop companies from wanting to put fur on things. An increased sales in faux stuff though over other companies real stuff, that's where the tipping point comes in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:12 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

on a random given day at a super store near you, you can find me in the blanket department petting the faux fur throws. i have no problem with faux fur, faux leather (hello bad asparagus boots!) and faux meats...bring it on!
while i do not wear anything really faux fur i do wear a few faux leather jackets. i do love leopard print anything and if i could wear it head to toe i probably would.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:20 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I like faux fur and have a couple of faux fur jackets (one leopard and one black) but both look more like stuffed animal fur than anything natural.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:47 am 
Chip Strong

Two weeks ago I bought a winter coat with a faux fur collar, but like blondie says, it does look more like stuffed animal fur and nothing like real fur. I have trouble finding coats that fit, so when this one did, I really couldn't quibble over the faux fur.

I think Mars makes a really good point - the greater the demand for faux fur the less demand for the real stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks everyone for all your input!

Pinko wrote:
But! If you need a coat and you like it, I say go for it. It sounds like it's definitely faux and shopping for coats is such a giant pain in the asparagus.

God, it really is! I was so happy when this one arrived and actually fit.

Mars wrote:
I'm a pretty staunch supporter of 'faux' anything, I don't think it promotes the original substance, I think it provides more reason and more customer base for companies to start making the switch from the real thing to the faux thing. To me it's the same idea as that 'just mayo' or beyond meat. If vegans stop wearing anything that remotely looks fur-ish, it's not going to stop companies from wanting to put fur on things. An increased sales in faux stuff though over other companies real stuff, that's where the tipping point comes in.

That's a really interesting point. I've never thought of it that way. I mean, I think of it that way when it comes to vegan food in mainstream restaurants/stores, but I've never thought of it in terms of clothing. Thanks, Mars!

Rebekah wrote:

Lepelaar, that's an interesting company! I'm curious about their other clothes now...

Rebekah, I can highly recommend them. Almost every top/dress/jacket/sweater I own, I bought from them. Their sister company, Bravissimo, has great bras/swimwear/supported nightwear in larger cup sizes. And their customer service is great!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:49 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I think that if it is fake that it is okay. I personally do not like wearing animal prints. (blame my mother, she always bought me multicolored animals print clothes for Christmas. I had a hot pink zebra striped shirt for awhile.) Real fur is very expensive isn't it? I don't think that it would encourage anyone to wear fur. I think most people think that fur around the hood of a coat is fake anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Kal wrote:
I think that if it is fake that it is okay. I personally do not like wearing animal prints. (blame my mother, she always bought me multicolored animals print clothes for Christmas. I had a hot pink zebra striped shirt for awhile.) Real fur is very expensive isn't it? I don't think that it would encourage anyone to wear fur. I think most people think that fur around the hood of a coat is fake anyway.

Ah, see, but this is kind of what worries me. I think you're right that most people think fur on hoods is faux, but a lot of it isn't and so if the look remains popular a lot of people will uncritically buy real fur hoods assuming they're fake. Nowadays real fur isn't that expensive. I mean, yeah some of it is and that's sold as a luxury item, but as others have mentioned, some is so cheap, it's being falsely sold as faux by unscrupulous companies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:26 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

That coat is super cute! I'm not big of faux fur, but I like that. I think I got turned off from it when I had a similar jacket (I called it my J.Lo coat), but the hood wasn't removable and it had faux fur at the cuffs too. I washed it, and it turned into a huge mess. Vegan-wise I like the idea of increasing the demand of faux items. Faux sho!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Not my style, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:07 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't like it either, but man, it can be so hard to find a nice coat without it! I ended up buying one a few years back because I just could not find one that wasn't wool, was floorlength and nice for work without a faux collar that was within my price-range. And I don't have a very "conventional" shape, so I don't like to buy things without trying them on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:09 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

That coat is crazy cute, I love it!

If the fur really bothers you, you could probably have it professionally removed.