| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you avoid grouchy but decent people?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 am 
Saggy Butt

You think a person is decent, interesting, good. However, they keep misinterpeting things you to say to come back at you as grouchy?

Ever encounter that?

Have you ever decided to take the route of leaving well and that person alone?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Do you avoid grouchy but decent people?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:46 am 
Semen Strong

Can you give an example? Is the grouchiness directed at you?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:59 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I know a decent guy who's a Debbie Downer. Just kind of negative so that he interprets things pessimistically. I think that's similar to what you're talking about. Other than that he's a good guy, but he's definitely one that doesn't get invited to all the parties, etc.

I don't know that it's a total avoid. Just depends on the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have a relative who tends to lash out when frustrated within themselves--kind of a misery loves company scenario. If this person wasn't my relative and I didn't understand that their grouchiness actually has little to do with me I probably would give up on them--but it's taken years for me to understand this aspect of their personality and realize that they actually have this kind of relationship with everyone so it's not "just me".

That said, as I get older, I tend not to bother with difficult people, even if they're good people (I believe most people are good people anyhoo--I don't really believe anyone wakes up in the morning saying "I'm gonna shiitake on everyone else all day just for fun."). Too much trouble, too much "what did I do wrong?" "who pissed in their cornflakes?" sort of thinking. When younger, I saw them as a challenge--like I will be the one who can improve their outlook--but no, I can't so...yeah. I think it does depend on the situation, your interpretation and tolerance of such situations. As for me, other than relatives or folks I work with where I'd really sort of have to make an effort, I prolly wouldn't bother.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:19 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

My best friends are grouchy but decent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think I fall under this category myself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ashley wrote:
I think I fall under this category myself.

I was about to post the same thing. I like to think of myself as a charming curmudgeon.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I know some charming curmudgeons!

I know some folks whose barbs are a little more...barbed, you know? Personal, mean, argumentative. Charming curmudgeons are a different animal, in my view.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:46 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

A woman I work with is really bitter and grouchy, so much so that I took her off my twitter feed. Bad move! She confronted me about it! I actually do like her, but she is so angry it's hard to talk to her sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:05 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Tigon wrote:
I know a decent guy who's a Debbie Downer. Just kind of negative so that he interprets things pessimistically. I think that's similar to what you're talking about. Other than that he's a good guy, but he's definitely one that doesn't get invited to all the parties, etc.

Same boat here. I know of a person that is really nice, he is kind and caring but he has to make everything the focus of his happiness and it is hard when he is like 'the word is horrible'...We would hang out a lot, then his attitude/neediness just brought us down so we talk now but that is about it. Like negativity is easily absorbed and can make you feel bitter. Why bother? At one point I was not even friends with him.

My dad is the same type of 'me me - life is gloomy - make me happy'. I can distance myself from him but still need to deal with him sometimes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:07 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I have a number of grumps I can't avoid. That makes it all that much more important for me to avoid the ones I can.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:47 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I feel like if you can't be pleasant to or around me, you don't respect me. My life is stressful enough. Why waste it being around grouches? I avoid or tell 'em what's up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

seitanicverses wrote:

I know some folks whose barbs are a little more...barbed, you know? Personal, mean, argumentative. Charming curmudgeons are a different animal, in my view.

For sure. Mean is no good, but if I avoided grouchy people I'd have had like a third as many friends.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

solipsistnation wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

For sure. Mean is no good, but if I avoided grouchy people I'd have had like a third as many friends.

This. I don't like mean people. I'm a grouch, but I'm not a mean grouch. And I'm generally not grouchy at people.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Don't avoid. I can be pretty grouchy so I usually get where they're coming from and try to tactfully weedle them to a better frame of mind, but leave them alone while they're in a really irritable mood, because I know I can be pretty irritating!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

my friend's boyfriend/baby daddy is the kinda guy who i think tries really hard to be nice, but deep down he might be kinda a jerk? i dunno. i try to avoid him because he often seems on the brink of losing patience w/ everything.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:18 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

beforewisdom wrote:
You think a person is decent, interesting, good. However, they keep misinterpeting things you to say to come back at you as grouchy?

Ever encounter that?

Have you ever decided to take the route of leaving well and that person alone?

For me it's a case-by-case thing. But how do you feel about this particular person? Is this someone you want to connect with more and build a friendship with, or is your instinct telling you that you'd be better off without them? I say this knowing that in more than one case I've "stuck it out" with a new acquaintance who initially struck me as uncomfortable grouchy and turned out to be a really good friend, but sometimes you just know early on in getting to know someone that they're not going to be your new BFF, and that's okay. It doesn't make you a mean person and it doesn't mean they're an awful person either. You just might not be the best fit for each other at this moment.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:01 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lobsteriffic wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

This. I don't like mean people. I'm a grouch, but I'm not a mean grouch. And I'm generally not grouchy at people.

For what it's worth, I have always found you lovely and non-grouchy!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

couroupita wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

For what it's worth, I have always found you lovely and non-grouchy!!

Sshh, I have a rep as a grump that I need to protect!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

yes.
I pretty much avoid anyone who doesn't bring me up. I mean, obviously family can be a bit of an exception, but I definitely don't seek out the companionship of people who are mean, or grumpy or downers or dull or whatever. I have enough awesome friends that I would love to see more often, so I don't feel like spending time with people I don't really love being around.
Also, obviously ( i hope ) if it's just a good friend having a hard time, that's *totally* different

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:54 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i think i would take grouchy over always-has-to-be-right/snappy any day. sigh... difficult people.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:56 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So I am described by people who love me a lot as a bit of a hater or even grouchy. I don't necessarily try to cultivate these qualities, but they're there, even when my personality os at its sunniest. Some people don't like me; some people really like me a lot. It sort of balances out.

For my part, I think I am most attracted to folks with a bit of a cynical or grumpy streak. The key here to me is that someone is otherwise kind and (ultra important to me) interesting. I cannot say no to interesting, even with a grumpy streak.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That depends on what kind of a grouchy person they are.
If they're full on buzzkills that always talk things down and never seem satisfied, then I usually avoid hanging out with them. If they're charming and respectful and funny grouches, then I don't mind, it's all about being able to laugh about it and not be insulted if someone disagrees with your negativity.

I just really see no need to hang out with people who make the world a less awesome place by adding some kind of bad narrative. I need positivity in high doses and I'm pretty allergic to unnecessary negativity, and the other way around, I know that sometimes my grouchier friends get sick of me almost always seeing the positive in things.
But when I wake up in the morning my first thoughts are usually happy expectations of the day, and I can usually get high on art and literature and music and cinema and I truly believe that you can get better at anything if you're just set on it, and I don't think the world is against me when something bad happens and I really like it like this.

I had a lot of problems with depression and anxiety before, and for me it was definitely a matter of getting therapy, and using the therapy to create a new narrative for my life and for the world. I have absolutely no need to get sucked back into the negative frame of mind. I worked really hard to get to a place where being me felt awesome, and I am not going to let anything or anyone jeopardize that. If i feel that people are threatening my happiness by being grouchy and sour, it's bye bye.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:21 am 

Olives wrote:
For my part, I think I am most attracted to folks with a bit of a cynical or grumpy streak.

Yep totally, as long as they can laugh about it too. I think it's a bit of a fine balance, I definitely can't be around angry people or any passive-aggressive bullshiitake, but I think a bit of cynicism doesn't hurt.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:21 am 

caterpillar wrote:
Olives wrote:
For my part, I think I am most attracted to folks with a bit of a cynical or grumpy streak.

Yep totally, as long as they can laugh about it too. I think it's a bit of a fine balance, I definitely can't be around angry people or any passive-aggressive bullshiitake, but I think a bit of cynicism doesn't hurt.

Yes! Humor is a big piece of it to me. Also, being thoughtful of other's feelings. I feel like most of the somewhat grouchy people I know are more direct, and less prone to passive aggressive bs.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next