All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Well, should I?
Duh! 97%  97%  [ 64 ]
No, scary. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 66
 Post subject: Should I move?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:15 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'm having a lot of thoughts. One of my mentors was up at the museum today (a lady who I greatly admire - she taught me during a couple of regular professors' sabbaticals in college and I've worked as her assistant at the museum on a couple of projects...she's a human being who is very easy to talk to, is very positive, has great advice, is down to earth, and is living a life I would like to live as an artist, mother to three amazing kids that she didn't even start having until she was 34, and a loving husband - so I take her opinion very seriously). She asked what was going on in my life and I filled her in, and she told me that I need to move. This is something I've thought a lot about since my breakup with T. The timing couldn't be better: I have no attachments to anyone, romantically or otherwise, I'm young(ish), and I don't have a job that I love. What I don't have is money, but I could probably ask my parents for a little bit of help if I really needed it (and I would pay them back). She was telling me that I absolutely could find a job that I like somewhere with my experience and skills (and I'm sure she'd help me with my resume and told me that she would write a letter of recommendation) and that I would be SHOCKED to discover how many eligible men I could meet in a bigger city around more like-minded people. She told me (and she's not the first person to tell me this) that she really regrets settling in this town. She said that when she first met me 15 years ago, she said to herself that I was a person who NEEDED TO LEAVE.

She told me to find a place to crash for a week (and I've secured this, don't think she's a PPKer, but if so, hello and thank you!), save enough money for gas and food, and just go hand out my resume everywhere. She assured me that people absolutely do this and that it works. She said that it won't be long before I start to meet people, so I shouldn't be so afraid of moving alone. I kept asking her if she really thought that I could do it, really get a job, really start my life over someplace else, and she just kept crinkling up her nose and rolling her eyes and saying, 'YES!'

PPK, is she right? I've got an immense amount of excitement and anxiety inside of me just thinking about this. The places I'm thinking of are Portland and Austin (I know, so vegan, whatever), and I spent this evening looking at art job listings in Portland and saw two that I am absolutely qualified for. I can't afford to go visit just yet (need to save money and vacation days), but should I send my resume anyway? How does it work, finding a job in a place you don't live? Do they do phone interviews, I guess? And it would be month before I could actually move anywhere, because I'd need to give notice for my apartment. Will employers wait that long? I've never been an ambitious person, so these things are foreign to me. I honestly have no idea what to do to make it happen, when I don't have a nest egg (or a credit card) to get me started.

Help me make up my mind.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post subject: Re: Should I move?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:20 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

send your resume! it can't hurt. we just moved across the country for a job where we never had to fly out there first. Found an apartment online without ever seeing it, hired movers and moved within a month. I assume you would be traveling lighter than we did. The movers were the biggest expense, but if you don't have big pieces of furniture that you're attached you, you can totally do it. My husband had never been to Seattle before, but this was a job he really wanted, so it worked out for us. You won't know till you try. Maybe just search the internet for jobs you're really interested in. If you're not married to the idea of moving to Portland or Austin there might be some great art galleries in other towns that would be awesome for you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:40 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

YES.

Some of the best things I've done in my life have been the big moves I've made. I moved across Canada (Edmonton --> Montreal) to do my undergrad degree, which HUGELY broadened my horizons, and I'm so grateful I got to do that. I moved back to my hometown after, stayed for five years, and then GTFO to SF, and then moved to Portland four years after that. The move to SF was super stressful because for the first year or more after I moved, I was an illegal immigrant, which, needless to say, made finding a job and getting money pretty tough, not to mention I moved there during the crazy recession. I got it figured out, though, despite some pretty lean months. I had some savings, but they were in Canadian dollars, and the Canadian dollar tanked before I was able to pull it out and put it in an American account, so I lost almost half of it.

As for the logistics, I ended up finding remote work, but I applied for a bunch of Portland jobs before I left SF, and I did some interviews. SF and Portland weren't that far apart, and I was flying up there all the time anyway to see D, so I scheduled interviews for when I was in town. As far as waiting, I imagine it would depend on the job. I would say that there are a lot of folks moving to Portland right now, so the job market can be competitive, so I'd try to be as flexible as possible if I were you, even if it meant taking a bit of a hit on your current apartment. Also, I can't remember, but do your parents live close enough you could move in with them for a month or two to save up a bit and make it easier to leave on short notice? If so, I'd consider that, even though it would probably be annoying for a while.

I don't know - it can be stressful, but honestly, it's such a great thing to know that you can pick up and move to a place you want to be. You should definitely do it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:44 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I totally agree with everything ijdi said! Twice I've applied for and accepted jobs long-distance (and they were actually international, which made it tougher). For the first one, I didn't fly out beforehand, everything was done over the phone. We found an apartment online and boom, there we were. For the second one the job did end up flying me out for an interview and I booked a week at an Air BNB so that I could be local while apartment-hunting. Like ijdi, the biggest expense (and headache) was movers, but if you didn't have much stuff to take it wouldn't be that bad at all. It's kind of scary (I'm an anxious person who likes routine), but it's also really exciting to settle in a new place and I don't regret either move one bit.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

I don't know whether or not you should move, but I do have a small resume tip. Either put in your cover letter that you are moving, or have an address on your cover letter that is local to the job. I did not do that when I was trying to move from Los Angeles to San Diego, and I found out after that I missed out on some interviews because of that. They assumed I didn't know where the specific town the job was in was located and was mistakenly applying. Maybe that only happens when you are moving to a pretty nearby city, but I would not chance it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

that happened to my friend too. she was moving across the country to live with her boyfriend and she never got called back till she put his address. maybe just take your a dress off the top and say you're moving in your cover letter or that you would be happy to relocate for the position

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Do it!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:44 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Thanks for the tip re: cover letters and my address! That wouldn't have even occurred to me outside of worrying that employers wouldn't give me a chance if I didn't already live there. JoPa, my parents live about 3 hours from me now, so living with them would mean getting a new job in their area - something I'm not sure is worth the hassle.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:21 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

You should absolutely do it! I've gotten jobs in places I didn't live a couple times, including just a couple weeks ago! In my experience, it started with a brief phone interview, then moved on to a Skype/google hangout interview, then an in person interview. I've rented places from across the country quite a few times and never had trouble with it. It does help to have someone local who can take a look for you, but I've also rented places without ever seeing them. Moving to a new place gives me major anxiety but it's always been a positive thing for me and something that's made me feel really capable and proud of myself.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:29 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

hey! yes move! definitely move!
I have moved, uh, 7 times? since I turned 17, each time to a new city with no friends or support system in place. This is SCARY. I have done this 7 times in 7 years and it is always scary but it is super worth it!
Because of this habit I have friends scattered around the whole country (I spent a whole month last summer sleeping on friends couches and living out of my car, just exploring and not spending much money)

that being said, it is something to get used to and there are things you don't think of if this is your first big move away from home.
some things to look out for, from my experience:

- It can be INCREDIBLY isolating, even if you know one person or two, to be in a new city. A lot of strangers don't want to talk to you, but some do!! being in public places helps a lot, libraries, laundromats, I have had many great conversations in these places that made me feel better about being new and alone before I met closer, long-term friends.

-IF YOU ARE STAYING WITH SOMEONE: Make sure you are BOTH getting enough space, obviously you will want to hang out with your friend, especially if you don't know anyone else but just make sure you're not under each other's feet, I've had really successful and really unsuccessful versions of the situation you are describing, and the unsuccessful ones are all because we got irritated with each other because of prolonged contact.

-I don't know what kind of art jobs you're looking for, but most jobs that aren't retail or food service are willing to do phone or Skype interviews (Skype is preferable for me, personally, I am terrible if I can't see the person i'm interviewing with) if you are looking for retail and foodservice, if you have experience, have a very fast turn-around and you can probably get yourself one of those after you move really quickly if you've got a week or two of friend couch time.
-austin and portland are both cities where it is very difficult to find affordable housing, just to keep in mind while you're saving up, maybe get a month or two's rent ready, or get comfortable sleeping in your car (a YMCA membership to shower is cheaper than rent!)

anyway! yes! you are young and have family support and can DO this! worst case scenario it doesn't work out and you move back to somewhere you are comfortable!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:04 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Definitely move. Apply for everything you see. It's great practice and creates a positive job hunting energy around you.

I've moved from small town Oklahoma to London, Washington DC, Austin, India and San Francisco. I've lived and travelled all over the world on my own. All with little or no money. It's not been easy (understatement!) but 100% worth it.

Don't be afraid or overthink it. If you think you need x, y and z to be perfect before you go, you will never leave. Pick a date and hit the road. Woo hoo!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:09 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Alin wrote:
Don't be afraid or overthink it. If you think you need x, y and z to be perfect before you go, you will never leave. Pick a date and hit the road. Woo hoo!!!!!

This is very good advice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:09 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I agree, do it! There are lots of reasons you should and none that you shouldn't. I don't know what your city is like, but I think if anyone has the chance to live someplace vastly different than where they grew up, even just for a few years, they should take it. The army sent Brian and I to a town in TN that is almost exactly like it is here besides being 5-10 degrees warmer, so I actually FORGET that we lived two states south for five years.

I agree about the cover letter and mentioning you're looking to move, picking a date, and getting out of your apartment and staying with your parents to save up rent money if you can.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

"I honestly have no idea what to do to make it happen" Ha, most of us don't. You just decide you are going to do it and then you figure it out.

AP, From what I have read here I believe you are stronger and smarter and more capable than you can imagine right now. You can do it! Jump!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:12 am 
Saggy Butt

Moving to a new place is awesome & scary & fun. Do it!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:53 am 
Chip Strong

Do it while you've no attachments or commitments, or you might regret it and wonder what your life would have been like in years to come.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:08 am 
WRETCHED

I also say do it. I moved to Denver from Southern California 14? years ago where I became really good friends with my husband and also many other people who I still talk to but the move to Denver resulted in my move to Maryland which is some place I would've never imagined living. I really enjoy Maryland though and if I hadn't moved to Denver, I probably would've never dated my husband, I wouldn't have had various experiences I had in Denver, met a bunch of friends in Denver and Maryland, never probably met the east coast ppkers that I've met and never had the job opportunities that I have had. I say do it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:28 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Do it! Moving from TX to Edinburgh was the best thing I ever did. I'm not saying a big move is a guaranteed path to happiness, but if it doesn't work out, you don't have to stay.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:22 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

You guys are being very tempting... Gonna work on my resume today.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:01 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I'll just add my voice to the chorus of smart things that have already been said and say go for it! As a friend of mine puts it, there are times when you need to shake up your Etch-A-Sketch and start over, and you say yourself that the timing is pretty much perfect for making a change. Be brave! Be bold! And keep us posted as things develop.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:04 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yes, do it! Now, I haven't done any international moves like some other PPKers, but I did move to Toronto when I was 19 and it was one of the most formative experiences of my life. I learned so much and I would never regret doing it for one moment. So yes, do it do it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:31 am 
Dead by dawn

Do it! You've got a lot of good advice here and you're in a perfect place to shake things up and see what plays out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:21 am 
Huffs Nooch

Yes, do it. I've moved from the UK to Australia to the UK to Portugal, each time with no real plan of how it was all going to work, but each time it has. I had a very vague back-up plan in my head (you know, if this all goes horribly wrong I can always go and live with my parents, something I didn't want to do) but also just decided that it would and should work. There are always blips and down days but as long as you see them as such and don't think that they are a 'sign' that the move is a failure, you'll be fine.

Alin is absolutely right, don't be afraid or overthink it, just go for it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

HappyBean wrote:
There are always blips and down days but as long as you see them as such and don't think that they are a 'sign' that the move is a failure, you'll be fine.

Love this point.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

As someone who has realized lately that she could probably never move to a new city alone, I think you should. If you have the willingness, determination, and guts to do it, do it! If not just to better your life (which, I bet it will!), but to do it for those of us who can't buck up the courage, too. You have tried so hard to find happiness, good friends, good people, and I remember how crushed you were when you realized you couldn't move up in your field and art in your city. I think if you could do that somewhere, you will find the rest of the happiness you want.

Besides, there are tons of PPKers who would be so happy to give you the tour and introduce you to people, especially in those cities. So you won't be totally, entirely alone.