| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:13 am 
Offline
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 4103
Location: the Eug
I'll start. This was said to me about two weeks ago and it has been in my head ever since.
I was talking to basically a stranger and we got on the topic of diet. He said he was vegetarian and I said I was vegan.
His response was "Oh, so you don't shave do you?" Which just seemed so random. Of all the things you can ask me when I say I am vegan you ask that? (The answer is sometimes when I feel like it or I remember).

Your turn.

_________________
Don't mind my breasts and vagina, I'm a gay man.---Idatetatooedguys.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:26 am 
Offline
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1641
Location: Brisbane, Australia
I've never heard that one before! I will have to think about mine.

_________________
Mel makes vegan food


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:26 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 2945
The Iraqis tell me all the time that I am too skinny and I should eat meat. But not rice, because rice will make me fat. ???

_________________
Mal: We're still flying.
Simon: That's not much.
Mal: It's enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:27 am 
Offline
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:46 pm
Posts: 2478
I would never associate being vegan with not shaving. How strange!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:35 am 
Offline
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6189
Location: Land of Maple and Beavers
That is super bizarre, kfad.

Not that recently, but about 6 months ago a lady I work with walked by my desk, and my desktop was showing - it had a picture of a cute baby cow on it.
Lady: "Why would you want that picture on your desktop? I thought you were vegan."
Me: "I am."
Lady: "So, why would you want to look at a cow?"
Me: "Because I love cows!"
Lady: "But I thought you were vegan!"
Me: *puzzled look*

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:36 am 
Offline
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 pm
Posts: 1216
Location: Alberta, Canada
ScooterDiva wrote:
I would never associate being vegan with not shaving. How strange!


Well that's because she's a damn dirty hippy.

_________________
The Vegan Cookbook Aficionado

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:47 am 
Offline
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 4103
Location: the Eug
Maggie Muggins wrote:
ScooterDiva wrote:
I would never associate being vegan with not shaving. How strange!


Well that's because she's a damn dirty hippy.


YEP! At least I think that was where he was going.

_________________
Don't mind my breasts and vagina, I'm a gay man.---Idatetatooedguys.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:52 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
paprikapapaya wrote:
That is super bizarre, kfad.

Not that recently, but about 6 months ago a lady I work with walked by my desk, and my desktop was showing - it had a picture of a cute baby cow on it.
Lady: "Why would you want that picture on your desktop? I thought you were vegan."
Me: "I am."
Lady: "So, why would you want to look at a cow?"
Me: "Because I love cows!"
Lady: "But I thought you were vegan!"
Me: *puzzled look*


You are supposed to show your cow love by eating hamburgers.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:52 am 
Offline
ugh
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 2649
Location: north of Boston, MA, USA
paprikapapaya wrote:
That is super bizarre, kfad.

Not that recently, but about 6 months ago a lady I work with walked by my desk, and my desktop was showing - it had a picture of a cute baby cow on it.
Lady: "Why would you want that picture on your desktop? I thought you were vegan."
Me: "I am."
Lady: "So, why would you want to look at a cow?"
Me: "Because I love cows!"
Lady: "But I thought you were vegan!"
Me: *puzzled look*

You're only supposed to like the animals you eat!

_________________

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:53 am 
Offline
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4478
Location: Memphis
paprikapapaya wrote:
That is super bizarre, kfad.

Not that recently, but about 6 months ago a lady I work with walked by my desk, and my desktop was showing - it had a picture of a cute baby cow on it.
Lady: "Why would you want that picture on your desktop? I thought you were vegan."
Me: "I am."
Lady: "So, why would you want to look at a cow?"
Me: "Because I love cows!"
Lady: "But I thought you were vegan!"
Me: *puzzled look*

Oh come on, everyone knows that the reason vegans don't consume animal products is because we hate animals, right?

_________________
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars
One vegan baker to another: "Dude, do you even sift?" - FootFace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:01 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Orlando, FL
ScooterDiva wrote:
I would never associate being vegan with not shaving. How strange!


I guess that goes with the hippy/tree-hugging/smelly/punk association that veganism's usually stereotyped with. :/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:09 am 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7553
Location: Portland, OR
At work a customer asked me: "So, is this 'just a job', or do you..." and then he makes these sideways eyes and whispers, "like flowers or something?"

I think it was his way of asking if I was one of those gays.

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:11 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am
Posts: 1827
Location: rva
poopiebitch wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
That is super bizarre, kfad.

Not that recently, but about 6 months ago a lady I work with walked by my desk, and my desktop was showing - it had a picture of a cute baby cow on it.
Lady: "Why would you want that picture on your desktop? I thought you were vegan."
Me: "I am."
Lady: "So, why would you want to look at a cow?"
Me: "Because I love cows!"
Lady: "But I thought you were vegan!"
Me: *puzzled look*


Oh come on, everyone knows that the reason vegans don't consume animal products is because we hate animals, right?


yes! i like to boycott things i don't like....walmart, animals, etc. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:14 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:28 pm
Posts: 702
Location: nyc
About a week and a half ago I was getting off the plane to Germany and leaving the baggage claim area with my suitcases. A guy (taxi driver) comes up to me.
Him: Do you need a taxi?
Me: Yes please!
Him: Here, I'll take your bags. Are you American?
Me: Yeah, I am.
Him: Oooh, so are you in the army?
Me: ???? No.....

I found this to be especially odd because looks-wise I pretty much look like a little girl and I was wearing a little flowery dress and had nothing army-like about me. (Maybe I'm just being stereotypical?)

_________________
Formerly known as alphonesemambo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:36 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
At work a week or two ago a woman came through my checkout line and told me she thought my hair was cute, then said, "I have to ask: is it a wig?" I guess her reasoning is that my hair is pretty obviously artificial black and it's almost Halloween and I had some skulls and stuff on too, but I mean, my roots were showing pretty obviously...I thought it was hilarious.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:39 am 
Offline
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 4103
Location: the Eug
Mars wrote:
At work a customer asked me: "So, is this 'just a job', or do you..." and then he makes these sideways eyes and whispers, "like flowers or something?"

I think it was his way of asking if I was one of those gays.

Wait...what?

_________________
Don't mind my breasts and vagina, I'm a gay man.---Idatetatooedguys.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:40 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 3305
Location: mt. pleasant
did you go to art school?
uh no.
you just have that art school vibe about you! whatever, be yourself don't let anyone tell you anything!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:47 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: MKE
pranaferox wrote:
About a week and a half ago I was getting off the plane to Germany and leaving the baggage claim area with my suitcases. A guy (taxi driver) comes up to me.
Him: Do you need a taxi?
Me: Yes please!
Him: Here, I'll take your bags. Are you American?
Me: Yeah, I am.
Him: Oooh, so are you in the army?
Me: ???? No.....

I found this to be especially odd because looks-wise I pretty much look like a little girl and I was wearing a little flowery dress and had nothing army-like about me. (Maybe I'm just being stereotypical?)
I'm guessing that happened because of this -- I was also asked if I was in the service when I went to Germany. I think Germany is the most beautiful place in the world.

Two recent oddities:
Random dude walks up to me at the hippie grocery store and says, no shiitake, "Are you really into water?"
What? Water? Like swimming?
"Yes, exactly."
No, I'm terrified of water. I haven't gone swimming since I was forced to in high school.
"That's a shame! You have such a water aura around you."
THAT'S WHAT I GET FOR SHOPPING AT THE CO-OP

Also, had a dude who said he was a chef at a super-locavore restaurant (one of those places that's proud about having a whole dead pig hanging out in the kitchen) insist that I wasn't vegan because I eat... bread.
He got visibly angry when I insisted that yeast are part of the Fungi kingdom, and thus not prohibited from our diets. He raised his voice and said, "Yeast is ALIVE!" Yeah, well, so are babies and grass and twigs, and I eat those things all the time.

_________________
Milwaukee Vegan Bake Sale


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:15 pm 
Offline
Has gasoline in her veins
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 3333
Location: pdx
fupapack wrote:
did you go to art school?
uh no.
you just have that art school vibe about you! whatever, be yourself don't let anyone tell you anything!


...what.

_________________
"I rebuke this thread in the name of Jesus." -Jagadeesh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:16 pm 
Offline
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 4103
Location: the Eug
fupapack wrote:
did you go to art school?
uh no.
you just have that art school vibe about you! whatever, be yourself don't let anyone tell you anything!

In college, one of my very best friends was repeatedly asked if he was a drama major. It made him crazy.

_________________
Don't mind my breasts and vagina, I'm a gay man.---Idatetatooedguys.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:26 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 3305
Location: mt. pleasant
i get asked if i go to art school alot. or if i am in college. i'm past my college years i thinks. i was an older student too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:29 pm 
Offline
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 pm
Posts: 1216
Location: Alberta, Canada
This wasn't recent but when I worked at a liquor store I once had a lady come up to my till and tell me that I looked really fresh, like I just got out of the shower. I wasn't sure if I should feel flattered or creeped out.

_________________
The Vegan Cookbook Aficionado

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:36 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:22 pm
Posts: 1117
Location: va
Maggie Muggins wrote:
This wasn't recent but when I worked at a liquor store I once had a lady come up to my till and tell me that I looked really fresh, like I just got out of the shower. I wasn't sure if I should feel flattered or creeped out.


Creepy!

One time I stopped at a gas station for directions and this guy in there told me I had pretty eyes and he would like to take a ride with me. I declined his offer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:42 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:10 pm
Posts: 777
Location: between a rock and a hard place
I once walked into a convenience store after getting gas and was asked in an accusatory tone by a store employee why I wasn't in school that day.

(I was 28 at the time.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:48 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:01 pm
Posts: 2213
Location: Maryland
I was on the elevator a few minutes ago, and out of the blue the guy riding with me said "You don't look like you climb poles, but I'm sure you'd have an audience if you did!"

Thanks, I guess?

_________________
"Noooo! Karyn, you have to stop posting old Jensen pics. He looks way too smooth in those pics, like if I touch his face it'll feel like silk or bosoms or something."-mixmaster_mo
It's Raining Kale


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: craiger_ny, Google [Bot], zwingtip and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer