| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:59 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I went to bed at 11, so I guess I don't have a legitimate complaint. Still, I woke up tired.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Lately I've been doing this thing where I start to doze off and then suddenly get this panicky feeling, like there is something vitally important I am supposed to be doing right that second. But there is nothing I'm supposed to be doing (besides sleeping that is). It takes me a long time to fall back asleep, and when I do, it happens all over again! This has been going on for the past week or so. Maybe stress? All I know is that I am completely exhausted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:07 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Lately I've been doing this thing where I start to doze off and then suddenly get this panicky feeling, like there is something vitally important I am supposed to be doing right that second. But there is nothing I'm supposed to be doing (besides sleeping that is). It takes me a long time to fall back asleep, and when I do, it happens all over again! This has been going on for the past week or so. Maybe stress? All I know is that I am completely exhausted.

Yeah when that happens to me I'm usually super anxious and stressed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:29 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I am doing pretty well considering I do not think I even made three hours last night/this morning. Could not fall asleep until after three. Three-thirty the cats decided to fight. Awake again until after seven, and then woke again at about eight-thirty. Grrr.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:02 am 
Inflexitarian

I think I slept maybe for an hour or two, after 5am. Probably not coincidentally, my anxiety was also totally out of control last night.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:25 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I don't even have a real problem with anxiety right now and I still only managed to sleep fitfully between 3 and 5:30. I think I just hate to sleep alone...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:36 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

yar. le sigh. i need to drive 6+ hours tomorrow. Think tonight will be like the last three nights and I will start right awake about 60m after i fell asleep, and then toss and turn for the rest of the night?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

fork you insomnia!! Running no longer makes me sleep through the night. I don't know if i need to run longer. I tried running harder (my running time is limited) but still not sleeping through the night. Herb tea stuff too, no longer working.
Also, partner, i am glad you love me and all but that random nighttime grope wakes me up and then I'm Awake Forever until the goddamn roosters start.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:25 pm 
Impressive boner

I've been having trouble sleeping for about three weeks and it's getting really boring. Last night I went to sleep at 11pm, woke up at 2.30am, fell asleep again at 4.30am and my alarm went off at 5.30am - a pretty typical night. I'm cranky, hungry and can't concentrate.

I'm resorting to sleeping tablets today to try to help me through the night but am not looking forwards to the chemical hangover in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Didn't fall asleep till nearly 4 am, slept restlessly till 7:30 when my alarm went off, and I hit snooze, and slept for another restless hour. Ugh. I have too much on my mind to sleep properly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I went to bed early but woke up at 2.45am. That was it for me. By 4am I decided to put radio 4 extra on & listened to some stories until my alarm went off at 6.30am. I so want to sleep until 5 minutes before my alarm goes off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I am up at 5am since 3:30...I cannot sleep due to being sick. :/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:26 am 
Seagull of the PPK

hey insomnia, fork you again!

i went to bed at 10. i was tired, it was a crazy day. then laid there, thinking "no i won't get up or else I'll never fall asleep".... laid there. tried meditating, tried sending out blessings to everyone i could think of, went through exhaustive memories..... finally got up to pee and it was 2AM and i still wasn't sleeping. what a waste of time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:10 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Insomnia is the worst. I didn't read through the whole thread so some ot all of this may have been suggested, but when I am super stressed (always lately) and can tell its going to be a rough night of sleeping, I take a melatonin an hour before I plan to go to sleep. I have a lavender smelly do-hicky thing in the bedroom, because lavender is supposed to help. I read something that is a tougher read instead of something I won't be able to put down. If I'm not falling asleep right away, I try to think about what I'll wear the next day, so this is an exercise of going over what's in my closet. This seems to do the trick because I always wake up and can never remember what I arrived on for my outfit of the day. Kind of weird, but I'm going with it.
The bigger thing though is just getting my stress under control. That's probably the case for many in this thread I'd suspect, and I have no pearls of wisdom unfortunately.
Maybe meditation is the key. Does anyone meditate? Does it help? How do you do it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a very weird thing that goes back to when I was little to help me sleep.

When I'm at that point of tired but my brain really isn't turning off, I have to imagine something completely not based in reality - usually the sort of thing that helped me slip away when I was little. Like having magical powers or having a unicorn to ride to work/school. Thoughts like fooling around with Chris Hemsworth don't have the same weight since he's actually a person.

As soon as I get in the mode of thinking of this super impossible thing, I feel my brain.... Melt down my spine and go all gooey. Unless I'm in a real bout of insomnia, this is what gets me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:39 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

went to bed at 330 and woke up at 530! Yay!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:57 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

fruitbat wrote:
I don't even have a real problem with anxiety right now and I still only managed to sleep fitfully between 3 and 5:30. I think I just hate to sleep alone...

I usually don't have a problem sleeping at all, but if my husband is not home for whatever reason, I absolutely cannot sleep. Like it's some sort of ancient biological response my body has that won't let me sleep because I am alone and therefore unprotected. It is the most frustrating thing, especially because before we started living together, I could sleep alone with no problem.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:13 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Kind of similar to the sleeping (or not being able to sleep) alone: my aussie shepard usually sleeps on my feet, and when I first started travelling for work a bit, I'd have to put a pillow on my legs in order to fall asleep.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ugh, I haven't slept more than a couple hours the past few days. I am desperately tired but, as is the case with insomnia, every time I lay down my mind starts racing so hard I feel nauseous. thanks brain.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:28 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have early waking insomnia. It sucks. I wake up at like 3am, but am too tired to acutally get up and do anything productive, so I just toss and turn. Can't take a sleeping pill, I will be out until noon.

Xanax helps, and it only puts me to sleep for about 3-4 hours, no hangover. In fact, you feel awesome the next day. But...it is very addictive, so I don't like to use it often.

I still have friends in the sleep industry, and there are rumors of new sleeping pills just for early waking insomnia sufferers. You wake up at 3am, take one, and the effects only last a few hours!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm 
Chip Strong

I have had soul-crushing insomnia for almost 25 years. It's the broken sleep kind. I have no trouble falling asleep, usually within 2 minutes (literary) I am out, but I am awake from around 2am til 5am. I sleep for about another hour and then I have to get up at 6am. It has really changed me and my life, not in a good way.
About a year ago the onset of night sweats began and have upped the torture. Oh JOY!!

I recently started doing a couple of things that have given me mild relief --
a humidifier - I thought the background whirring sound would make things worse but the white noise actually helps lull me. I now also add peppermint and eucalyptus which really seems to help clear my head/sinuses and helps me rest more comfortably.
lavendar spray on my pillow
lavendar infused oil on my feet and belly
walking 5 miles per day

it sucks spending my entire life feeling depleted. I have almost given up hope of ever feeling normal when I get up in the morning.
So sorry to all the other sufferers. I feel your pain.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:21 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have a humidifier too, and it does work for me as well! Not a total 'cure' or anything, but besides the benefits of humidification, I really like the soft water sounds in the background of my room.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I used to never have insomnia, I was one of those people who fell asleep quickly, slept through earthquakes and moving furniture (including my husband once moving the mattress I was on with the help of a friend) and not waking up until a reasonable hour. Now, I go through cycles of insomnia. At its worst I don't sleep until 2 and then wake up at 3 and 3:30 and 4:45 and 5:30 and then that's it for the day, to early waking insomnia (what I am dealing with now) and then for one or two days I sleep just the right amount and then I go through a period of sleeping 15 hours straight and being exhausted despite that.

I have to sleep with background noise, whether it be the fan, the TV or iTunes. And I usually have melatonin, gravol and prescription sleeping pills beside my bed at all times, and they each get used at different times. Melatonin when I need some help just falling off, gravol if I need help staying asleep just a bit longer (or wake up really early, like midnight) and the prescription stuff is only for when I need to be fully and utterly knocked out and I have time to sleep in. A half one usually is enough but sometimes I take a whole one so I get a solid 13 hours if I am in a bad state.

I can feel it cycling through. I am out of both melatonin and gravol, so tonight I am having a glass of wine and shouldn't have too much trouble falling asleep if I go to bed soon. But I will probably wake up way too early and listen to Netflix on my phone in the morning, and that will be my 6th day in a row of doing that, so tomorrow night I will probably end up taking a half a prescription sleeping pill as I know the full on insomnia is creeping up on me. Funnnnnnnn!

Plus my pain levels have been bad and that complicates things.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:22 am 
Dead by dawn

It doesn't happen very often but tonight is one of those "I woke up at 2am and I won't get back to sleep until 5" kind of nights. :/ I woke up thinking about some stupid shiitake a friend posted on facebook, composing angry answers to it in my head and now I'm probably dooming myself by staring at a backlit screen. I guess I should be glad this isn't a chronic problem for me but it's the middle of the night and I'm not glad about anything right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:20 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have insomnia and I can't tell if it's related to heat or anxiety. Any ideas on how find out and on how to sleep. I haven't slept more than 3 hours a night in about a month. It's taking a toll on my physical and emotional health.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next