| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Insomnia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:50 am 
Saggy Butt

I had a similar problem about 8 years ago. I used this book with good results.

Google on insomnia, there are many good sights online devoted to sleep

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:11 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Thanks. I think part of the problem is heat. I'm extremely sensitive to heat (anything above 65f and I am miserable). It's been in the 90s where I live and I have no AC. I am seeing a doc today to try to do something, but I will check out the book because I go through random bouts of insomnia.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:43 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I'm not sleeping without ambien until I finish school and get over this heartbreak, am I? Jeebus. Seriously, I don't think I've had more than a few good night's sleep without ambien in the last 2 and a half months. I thought some wine and melatonin would be enough. nope, guess not!

I am trying to decide whether 4 hours is enough time for a half ambien...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have been a 'bad' sleeper since 'time out of mind'. My husband sleeps through the night without waking AND he does not wake when I do and turn on my bedside lamp to read.

The 'gift of wakefulness' need not be scorned ... we will just gloss over the fact that I nodded off for a brief minute at work yesterday. Have not done that in a very long time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:34 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Yeah, I've always been a bad sleeper as well. The only time I think I slept well was the 1 year I wasn't in school or teaching, and I had a very physical job. I toss so much, I think I wake up a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:22 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm trying not to become dependent on the sleep medication I got. It's supposed to be taken as needed, but I can't seem to get to sleep without it. My normal bedtime tea doesn't help and baths don't either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:07 am 
Nailed to the V

I take Natural Calm (magnesium citrate) before bed with some success- it's not perfect, but I sleep far better on average. The problem is, I can't afford it anymore. Has anyone found success with a cheaper alternative? Also a dose that is affective gives me the shiitakes, so I wonder if I'm depleting myself nutritionally by having diarrhea each and every morning.

Please don't suggest sleep hygiene, I'm an old pro at insomnia and still practice religiously all my sleep hygiene crepe (not that it often helps) .

eta I'm going to look for a cheap generic magnesium citrate tablet at the pharmacy today. I think there was a ghastly tasting tea that would work on occasion for me - I think by the same people who make throat coat, I'll look for that too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have been the worst sleeper for the past few years. I think a big part of it is dating guys who snore (bummer...) because I'm such a light sleeper. Also I have anxiety, so when I do wake up, I can't fall back asleep because my mind is making lists of things that I'm anxious about. Or just the snoring keeps me awake. I've tried earplugs, they don't work. And now I think I'm in some awful cycle, because even when I'm alone I wake up constantly and have a hard time falling back asleep. Melatonin will get me to sleep, but nothing keeps me there.

Add in the night sweats I've been getting for the past couple of years... I miss sleep.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:39 am 
Impressive boner

Hello again insomnia. The last time we met like this was about a year ago when I was up until 5am every morning maniacally sewing clothes.

3.30am is a bit too early to wake up, but at least I'll get to work for 7am. Not sure I'll last the day though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:46 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

allularpunk wrote:
I have been the worst sleeper for the past few years. I think a big part of it is dating guys who snore (bummer...) because I'm such a light sleeper. Also I have anxiety, so when I do wake up, I can't fall back asleep because my mind is making lists of things that I'm anxious about. Or just the snoring keeps me awake. I've tried earplugs, they don't work. And now I think I'm in some awful cycle, because even when I'm alone I wake up constantly and have a hard time falling back asleep. Melatonin will get me to sleep, but nothing keeps me there.

Add in the night sweats I've been getting for the past couple of years... I miss sleep.

I sleep quite well, but I have definitely had periods when anxiety has kept me up. Listening to podcasts, or watching familiar shows (parks and recreation, futurama, etc.) helps keep my mind from racing and lulls me to sleep.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I used to sleep so well, we could host a party in our room and I could go to sleep with everyone still laughing and playing video games on the other side of the bed. Hubby once took apart our bed behaving a friend lift off the mattress with me still on it!

Now, ugh. Dog moves? I wake up. Storm? Wake up. Power goes out? Then our fan turns off and I wake up (this one is handy as if our power goes out our basement will flood). The last few days My routine is, fall asleep at 11:30, wake up at 3, and 4, and 5 and so on and so on. The only way I fall asleep is by putting netflix on my phone and starting an episode of Community or Arrested Development. I used to be able to just do music but not Ny more...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:50 pm 
Impressive boner

Aaaaghhh again!

I was tired at 9.30pm so went to bed. Mr8 read to me until about 11.30pm. I think I was asleep by 12, but was awake again at 1am and haven't gone back to sleep. I've taken some medication to help with it but because I've taken it so late I'm concerned that the tranquilizer effects will still be going on throughout my workday.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been waking up at 4am-ish a few times, and have the old anxious/racing thoughts preventing me from drifting back off for a while. It's usually when I've got lots on for the coming day as well, so particularly unhelpful.

I've been taking Vitashine high strength vitamin D, and I'm wondering if that's contributing in some way, since they're such high doses.

I also don't think a burglar coming into my room while I was in bed helped much! Definitely been more jumpy since then.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:23 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have early-waking insomnia (along with a couple other non-insomnia sleeping disorders)

I have tried many things, but nothing really works. Well, in January I decided to give Melatonin a try. One pill before bed. It seems to be working so far! Apparently it works for all kinds of insomnia.

From what I can tell with my super scientific internet research, it is natural and harmless. I would recommend giving it a try guys.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:54 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Chicki wrote:
As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have early-waking insomnia (along with a couple other non-insomnia sleeping disorders)

I have tried many things, but nothing really works. Well, in January I decided to give Melatonin a try. One pill before bed. It seems to be working so far! Apparently it works for all kinds of insomnia.

From what I can tell with my super scientific internet research, it is natural and harmless. I would recommend giving it a try guys.

I use liquid melatonin and think it helps. I also use a lavendar spray on my pillow and sheets, have a humidifyer running and add Eucalyptus oil to help keep the room 'fresh'. It's not perfect and I still have terrible problems (night sweats are ruining my life) but it helps.

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4