| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been having problems with no-shows for like the past month. It used to happen once in a while, but it's been like, every week, sometimes several times per week lately. Literally half of my grooms didn't show up today. I was home by 11:30.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:29 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
So for the second time this year, we've had a young college-aged person express great interest in an internship at our office. Or at least, that's what their dads have said when calling to set up the internship for them.

Nothing says "I'm dying for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work at your office/with a living legend" like having your parent do it for you.

I speak from personal experience - sometimes parents forget you're not 12 and don't need help any more! My mom was really bad about this when I was unemployed. She was trying to help, but my version of helping would've been telling me about openings or opportunities and her way of helping was meeting someone at a business and then "let me tell you about my daughter in case you have any openings!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:57 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Fee wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
So for the second time this year, we've had a young college-aged person express great interest in an internship at our office. Or at least, that's what their dads have said when calling to set up the internship for them.

Nothing says "I'm dying for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work at your office/with a living legend" like having your parent do it for you.

I speak from personal experience - sometimes parents forget you're not 12 and don't need help any more! My mom was really bad about this when I was unemployed. She was trying to help, but my version of helping would've been telling me about openings or opportunities and her way of helping was meeting someone at a business and then "let me tell you about my daughter in case you have any openings!"

This reminds me of my mom! This is so embarrassing... she used to try to find me friends. I remember her knocking on doors trying to find houses with kids my age. What's worse is that I was with her and had to endure this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:41 pm 
Semen Strong

creep wrote:
I've been having problems with no-shows for like the past month. It used to happen once in a while, but it's been like, every week, sometimes several times per week lately. Literally half of my grooms didn't show up today. I was home by 11:30.

Can your salon booking person not ask for a credit card and charge a no-show fee? Its amazing to me that someone could not show and you have to bear the cost.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
creep wrote:

Can your salon booking person not ask for a credit card and charge a no-show fee? Its amazing to me that someone could not show and you have to bear the cost.

I've said we're going to do this for multiple offenders, but it hasn't gotten to that point yet. The worst I've had is someone reschedule at the last minute, no show, and reschedule again, and we would definitely do that for her, but of course, she showed up the last time. I'm afraid that if we ask for a credit card for everyone, some people may go somewhere else, and I'm not booking far enough in advance to lose customers that way. It's pretty inconsistent. Sometimes, I'll be booking 2-3 days in advance, but other days, I can take walk-ins if they get there early enough. If I was booking a week or more in advance, I would definitely do that with non-regulars.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

One thing I've learned about small-businessing is that charging for no-shows actually works the opposite from how you'd expect. People are more likely to want to be customers at a business that takes itself seriously, and part of demonstrating that you take yourself seriously as a small business is by charging for your time, including charging for no-shows. It's the same principle that leads people to buy things from businesses that charge more -- the value of the service is perceived to be higher, so people want to buy it more. Similarly, if people's perception of your business is that your time is very valuable, they will be more likely to want to spend their money on your very valuable time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've worked at places that did take credit card numbers, and it wasn't unusual for people to say nevermind when they called to make an appointment for the first time. I'm not against charging people who have already no-shown, but not for new customers immediately.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:42 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

creep wrote:
I've worked at places that did take credit card numbers, and it wasn't unusual for people to say nevermind when they called to make an appointment for the first time.

I don't know, feels pretty darn normal to me as a consumer to give my credit card for no-show fees for things. My gut tells me these 'nevermind' people maybe were just not really that convinced they were going to show in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:29 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Mars wrote:
creep wrote:
I've worked at places that did take credit card numbers, and it wasn't unusual for people to say nevermind when they called to make an appointment for the first time.

I don't know, feels pretty darn normal to me as a consumer to give my credit card for no-show fees for things. My gut tells me these 'nevermind' people maybe were just not really that convinced they were going to show in the first place.

Yeah, this. Every business I've gone to here that sets aside a block of time by appointment from the dentist to the hair dresser to the masseuse lets you know in advance that unless you cancel with at least 24 hours notice, you will be charged for the appointment. (They don't work so much with credit card here, but you will get a bill.) It seems perfectly reasonable to me that if a professional person loses the opportunity to book a paying customer because I flake on them, that I pay them for their time and lost income. I think letting customers know this up front makes them take you seriously as a professional.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:18 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I don't have experience in your business, but sometimes when I'm phoning for an appointment I am not near my wallet and wouldn't have my credit card, so in those instances I would be one of the "nevermind then" people. Around here I don't think I've ever been asked for my credit card number to make an appointment. But I do see the value in being able to charge for no shows.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:32 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i feel uncomfortable speaking my full credit card number over my cell phone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:16 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Fee wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

I think this is true. I know a guy who had a small problem with his advisor/setting up his schedule at school and mentioned it to his mom in passing. His mom called up his advisor and yelled at him about it, without telling her son she was going to do so.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I was helping a man (probably 15-20 years older than me) earlier today. He left his card and wanted to know how much a certain custom order would cost, so I told him we'd give him a call Monday or Tuesday.
A couple hours later, a coworker comes up to me and says I have a phone call.
It's that guy! I assume he had an addendum to his inquiry. It happens all the time.
Nope. It was not.
"HI, it's [guy from earlier]; I gave you my card."
"Yes, I remember. We were looking at Martins."
"Yeah, could I buy you a beer after your shift?"
Stunned silence on my end.
"That is incredibly inappropriate, and I would appreciate it if you never called here and asked for me again."
He laughs. "Is it?"
"Have a nice day."

Then, after this forking terrible guy, I got a called from a woman who wanted us to stay open late because she was on her way. I told her we close at six. If she is here before then, we will stay open to help her; if not, we open tomorrow at noon.
She showed up ten minutes after six, and I met her on the stairs.
"I'm sorry. We've closed the register. We can't actually sell anything the rest of today. We open at noon tomorrow."
"Well, my son may not have until noon tomorrow! He's in Children's Hospital, DYING. And I know you don't care, but that makes you a HORRIBLE person."

Woah. I sympathetize and it's horrible that your child is dying. Truly. But there is literally nothing I can do to help you. Don't guilt trip me because of that.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:50 pm 
Semen Strong

How sad MissD!

creep wrote:
I've worked at places that did take credit card numbers, and it wasn't unusual for people to say nevermind when they called to make an appointment for the first time. I'm not against charging people who have already no-shown, but not for new customers immediately.

Could you offer a discount to people who hold their spot with a credit card? I think it would build the habit among your regulars and it could make sense in the long run. Even $5 off will often get people to agree and then show up.

Last edited by Tofulish on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

missdelaney wrote:
Then, after this forking terrible guy, I got a called from a woman who wanted us to stay open late because she was on her way. I told her we close at six. If she is here before then, we will stay open to help her; if not, we open tomorrow at noon.
She showed up ten minutes after six, and I met her on the stairs.
"I'm sorry. We've closed the register. We can't actually sell anything the rest of today. We open at noon tomorrow."
"Well, my son may not have until noon tomorrow! He's in Children's Hospital, DYING. And I know you don't care, but that makes you a HORRIBLE person."

Woah. I sympathetize and it's horrible that your child is dying. Truly. But there is literally nothing I can do to help you. Don't guilt trip me because of that.

Not to excuse what she did - it is awful - but she's probably not in her right mind. :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oh, I definitely understand that. It was just so jarring after my (crazy) day. I really did feel awful, and I tried to be as kind as possible, but there was literally nothing I could do at that point in the day.

Sometimes, there is nothing right you can do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:11 am 
Saggy Butt

working at a big box home improvement store, on christmas eve, 10 min after we closed, taking garbage out to the compactor. at least three announcements have gone on about the store being closed. I pass a man who looks quite irate in the special order doors section.

"aren't you going to help me? come over here and do your job"

"i'm sorry, we closed 10 minutes ago, that's why there's no one around the store"

"oh no you didn't"

i just kept walking...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:22 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I work in a call centre for one of the emergency services.
We received a call from a moron who would not deal with any female operators (made several of them cry), was put through to myself as the supervisor, he spent a few minutes ranting about how useless women are and then informed me that the reason he could not get a job in this country was that he could not legally hire a prostitute.
I rather swiftly and abruptly ended the call.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

missdelaney wrote:
I was helping a man (probably 15-20 years older than me) earlier today. He left his card and wanted to know how much a certain custom order would cost, so I told him we'd give him a call Monday or Tuesday.
It's that guy! I assume he had an addendum to his inquiry. It happens all the time.
Nope. It was not.
"That is incredibly inappropriate, and I would appreciate it if you never called here and asked for me again."
He laughs. "Is it?"
"Have a nice day."

What's so bad about this? I mean, maybe it's a little weird that he called your work instead of asking in person, but it seems like a perfectly reasonable way to ask someone out. It doesn't sound vulgar or creepy or whatever...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:55 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

creep wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
Nope. It was not.
He laughs. "Is it?"
"Have a nice day."

What's so bad about this? I mean, maybe it's a little weird that he called your work instead of asking in person, but it seems like a perfectly reasonable way to ask someone out. It doesn't sound vulgar or creepy or whatever...

Yeah, I agree. As long as he can take "no" for an answer, this seems like a not unreasonable thing to do. If you had found him attractive too and had said yes, I think it would be a perfectly charming "how we met" story.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

lepelaar wrote:
creep wrote:

Yeah, I agree. As long as he can take "no" for an answer, this seems like a not unreasonable thing to do. If you had found him attractive too and had said yes, I think it would be a perfectly charming "how we met" story.

Maybe it's the industry I'm in, but this is crossing so many lines, even if I was attracted to him, too. It made me very uncomfortable that this man assumed he could call me at work to ask me to get a drink when I was simply doing my job. The problem is that I work in a male-dominated industry in sales. Maybe this doesn't make others uncomfortable, but this is not an appropriate thing to do in any way- I regularly get hit on just because I'm doing my job well, and they misconstrue a woman in sales as a woman who's apparently flirting with them.
I've been asked out at work and said yes, but only after those people made damn sure. The last one to do it actually waited until we were closed- he walked up with me as I was putting our closed sign out and asked for my number so I was technically off the clock.

To each their own. This made me feel awful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:36 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I wouldn't think that guy showing up after you closed to ask you out in person would've been much better, would it?

Personally I don't think what he did sounds inappropriate, but I get that it can feel very awkward when someone asks you out and you aren't interested or were even considering them romantically. It's happened a couple of times to me at my current job and I hate it. Even if I were single and it was someone I was super attracted to, I couldn't say yes so anyone acting remotely interested in me automatically makes my stomach turn. Not because I'm disgusted with them but because I feel bad that they're going out on a limb and I've just got to be like "well no, I work here and that would be all kinds of wrong. Bye now! Oh and you'll never be allowed to speak to me again so nice meeting you! Hope I didn't crush your last little bit of self esteem or anything!"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

I would find it inappropriate, too. Maybe I'm just a prude but I think the fact that he called the store to ask her out was the biggest issue. I don't have people who call me personally at work for any reason besides making a sale and if someone called me at work to ask me out, I just don't think that's okay.

I don't like it when customers ask me out or for personal info anyway. I also work in sales (and in a male dominated area) and it's my job to be nice to people and provide good customer service and guys take it the wrong way sometimes or they take advantage of it. It's been so bad that I've had to contact security before and another customer got mad at me and would glare at me whenever he came in the store after he gave me his phone number and I never called him. All of it makes me uncomfortable and it doesn't make me feel okay at all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:13 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

It's sexual harassment!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:41 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I used to work sales in a male dominated industry as well. I find the call creepy. For starters, why work for a personal question when there is no personal relationship established?

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 67  Next