| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

What you say makes total sense, but I think I still wouldn't think of tipping unless there was a gratuity line on a bill or some other nudge.

Is there perhaps a discreet way to indicate that tips would be welcomed?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:39 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

There could be, but the owners would feel it's tacky. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:43 pm 
BAD PASS

I also worry that it wouldn't occur to me on my own!

I've had people try to tip me for giving them (extremely casual) brewery tours, but I didn't accept it, as someone was once fired for accepting tips for a tour. (Though he was a server and shouldn't have been giving any tours in the first place, but better safe than sorry, I guess)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Well, if I am sitting at a table, having wine brought to me (not standing at a tasting bar) at a place where I am paying for said wine and I also have the potential of eating food I am ABSOLUTELY tipping. This isn't really any different than going to a restaurant and just getting a glass of wine or a beer and a plate of fries.

Unless I am misunderstanding? I probably wouldn't tip at a sample bar where I'm spending $1 a shot and there's no tables or anywhere to relax.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vijita wrote:
There could be, but the owners would feel it's tacky. Oh well.

Ah, then no, I wouldn't think to tip.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:56 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Got an email that someone has had multiple attempts on their life by [moderately famous Hollywood actress], who is in cahoots with [hugely famous Hollywood action star]. Sad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:37 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

It's been delightfully quiet here... until right before we close. When two women come in. They ask my name, and I shared it. Have they used it, even once to get my attention the multiple times they have wanted my attention? Of course not. But they did decide that I was rude because I corrected them. It's kfad, not hun.
Never mind that they have opened every single cupboard and cabinet in here. And have been asked twice to stop.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You need a new job, Atilla.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:36 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

The only person allowed to call me hon is John Waters (well, anyone with a thick-ass authentic Baldimur accent). And maybe my mom.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:31 am 
Level 7 Vegan

The lady in front of me in the express line at whole foods just bought 78 Lara bars, which all had to be scanned individually. The cashier told her this when she plopped her pile of bars down, and rather than saying oops, I'll go to the regular line, she just said "oh" and waited for him to start scanning.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:28 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I do not understand people waiting until the last minute to book a space for an event. I don't have any way to staff a full day event on three days notice. I know... that's silly as we are more and more an event center. But... ugh. Really. Give me three weeks.

And if you don't give me time and we opt to help you, don't demand I change the contract to better reflect a way for you to get any sort of refund.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:33 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

When someone calls and they're like "Heyyyy, are you the person I spoke to yesterday?" and you speak to dozens of people on the phone per day and they haven't even said their name yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:42 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

kfad wrote:
I do not understand people waiting until the last minute to book a space for an event. I don't have any way to staff a full day event on three days notice. I know... that's silly as we are more and more an event center. But... ugh. Really. Give me three weeks.

I hear you. I regularly get calls from people who want to hire an attorney for their trial that starts in three days. I mean, I understand the procrastination- being accused of a crime is a terrifying and intimidating (and costly) thing, not to mention most people don't get an accurate picture of how court works, thanks to portrayals in the media. But if you show me a criminal defense attorney who can be ready for trial on three days' notice and I'll show you an attorney you don't want to hire.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:29 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
. But if you show me a criminal defense attorney who can be ready for trial on three days' notice and I'll show you an attorney you don't want to hire.

Oh my gosh... that reminded me of the client bossman had. The guy had bossman on retainer, but would only contact him just before something big was about to happen. Guys wife files for divorce, guy comes in with three bankers boxes full of stuff two says before the fist court appearance. He got taken to the cleaners!

This is not so much a complaint but an observation. Why do people think I want to hear their life stories? Yesterday a woman called to buy tickets and to prattle on about how well behaved her kid is. I actually told her that unless it had to do with buying the tickets I didn't care. It's been really bad this week. I actually had a visitor tell me all about her hysterectomy. NOOOOO!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:43 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

kfad wrote:
Why do people think I want to hear their life stories?

GIRL PREACH. I seriously DO NOT CARE. What's super annoying is that my mom is one of those people- she's so hypersensitive to judgment or what others will think (because she is so hugely judgmental herself, she can't imagine others not being that way) so she's always quick to clarify a situation lest someone misjudge. Last time I saw her she told a complete stranger we were sharing an elevator with that I'd been dogsitting for her while she was out of town. Woman, she doesn't care! She's just trying to get up to street level!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:51 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yes! Welcome to the life of a librarian. "oh, ok, I know all about your prostate now. So what information did you need? (not that I give any medical advice except contact a doctor)" "Oh, nothing, I was just saying hello." All day every day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:44 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Dear visitor,
I am sorry that you think we are arguing with you. But that stuff you are telling me is Japanese is actually marked made in China. I don't care what your credentials are... I can read.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:49 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

And they actually just said the sentence "It would be interesting to find out how tall a 6'4" person would have been back then". Umm... still 6'4". His friend said as much and he replied "No, they would have been taller than that because people were shorter."
I get what he was thinking, I think. But he keeps talking like he doesn't mean proportionally.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:02 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

kfad wrote:
And they actually just said the sentence "It would be interesting to find out how tall a 6'4" person would have been back then".

AMAZING

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:35 pm 
BAD PASS

Yeah, I envy your overheard convo, because OMG. hahahahahaha.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:21 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Love when I send an email and close with "for any further questions about this matter, please contact Jane Doe at [contact information]" and immediately get a reply, to me, with questions. Way to read!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Similarly, we get unsolicited ads for answering services in the mail. They always say something like "this is Ruby, your new receptionist. She's always working and never takes a sick day!" And I'm like "Ruby sounds like a real drag!" and throw her into the recycling bin.

Oh god. One of my little sidetasks is typing a list of addresses to send this shiitake to.

I hope my boss isn't this weird with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:40 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

College kids are kind of like clients, right?

If you are having trouble with a built in function of Python, which is a prerequisite to about 70% of the homework, do you...

a) come to office hours, which I scheduled at a time that was inconvenient to me so that you specifically could attend?
b) email me far in advance so that we can work through it together?
c) email me at 1am, 16 hours before the assignment is due, asking for an extension which I am not empowered to give you?

Hint: there is a wrong answer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:25 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Had another heartbreaker last week. 15 year old girl with no sense of danger decided the best way to wash her hair was with a kettle of boiling water

Facebook

http://thechroniclesofbanania.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:25 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

kfad wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
. But if you show me a criminal defense attorney who can be ready for trial on three days' notice and I'll show you an attorney you don't want to hire.

Oh my gosh... that reminded me of the client bossman had. The guy had bossman on retainer, but would only contact him just before something big was about to happen. Guys wife files for divorce, guy comes in with three bankers boxes full of stuff two says before the fist court appearance. He got taken to the cleaners!

Oh man. I just talked to a guy on the phone who wants to hire someone I work for to change his plea to not guilty. Except he is being sentenced today under the terms of a plea agreement. When is his sentencing, I ask? "It's at 9:00 today." He answers. I glance at the clock- it's 9:10.

Dude. I'm so sorry, and that really forking sucks, and yes our legal system is heavily slanted towards pressuring innocent people to accept plea deals for 'lesser' convictions that end up haunting them the rest of their lives. I get it. But ten minutes past the start of your sentencing hearing is not the time to be thinking about hiring a new attorney.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130  Next