| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That is how our students handle their community service. Have nothing lined up, say they don't know where/how to do it and are all upset they are going to jail. They do this the day before their court date (and after blowing off all attempts by our program social worker to hook them up with good service opportunities, week after week.) The funny part is that they often have this meltdown after using their community service as the reason why they haven't their any work--too busy!

I'm not sure if it's a good thing that the kids get many chances and don't actually go to jail. I don't want to see them go to jail, but it reinforces the no consequences thing that carries over into adult hood.

I feel like my job is supposed to be the traffic control steering kids away from the road to misery, poverty, jail, and/or worse. Instead, I'm on the sidelines just watching them speed on past.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:27 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

At the notmuseum we have an address that technically does not exist. Which means when you google us you get sent to the wrong place. I have a very set speech for people calling and asking me for directions.
I just got off the phone with a woman who wanted me to walk down to the train station and guide her and her car to the parking lot.
How about no.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:50 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

kfad wrote:
At the notmuseum we have an address that technically does not exist. Which means when you google us you get sent to the wrong place. I have a very set speech for people calling and asking me for directions.
I just got off the phone with a woman who wanted me to walk down to the train station and guide her and her car to the parking lot.
How about no.

Hahaha!! I'm sure she imagined you'd get in and direct her, but somehow I had this vision in my head of you walking down the sidewalk and her creeping along behind you in her car, and you occasionally turning around to look at her and gesture in the direction you're walking.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:27 pm 
Dead by dawn

Yesterday a cuatomer told me "You are a goddess. No matter what the police say."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I haven't been on the ppk in forever bc I have a new job.

WHICH IS NOW FODDER for this thread.

Client calling today asking for the company president. I ask the usual "may I tell her who is calling?" *gives name* "and what is this regarding?"

Snotty person: UH, she KNOWS me.

Well *I* don't know you, bisque. And I'm not getting chewed out for you, so tell me what you want or it's Message Pad City.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:27 am 
BAD PASS

Oh yeah, everyone wants to talk to the owner. The guy selling cleaning supplies and the guy selling printer cartridges. They don't want to talk to the person who's actually in CHARGE of cleaning supplies or printer cartridges -- god forbid! The owner's the ONLY one they'll talk to.

The owner is NEVER gonna talk to you, bucko, so have fun never getting the opportunity to talk to anyone about your dumb printer cartridges you were already told we no longer need to purchase because our new printer leases include ink. But yeah, don't listen to me. Better wait to talk to the owner.

[blows raspberry]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:00 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Oh man, I get the "oh, I'm an old friend of [boss]" all the time. I always persist and try to get as much information as possible because 99% of the time I say the name and boss says "I have no idea who that is." Most people oblige but I'd say about 25% of them say "no, just tell him my name, he'll call me."

To be fair, he sometimes does know the person, but he's terrible at names, but in my experience, 9.9 times out of 10 he has no interest in talking to his 'old friend' and asks me call back and ask what it is they want (in nicer terms of course).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ha.

This is compounded by the president's super weird phone issues to be fair. I get that higher up people are busy and don't want to waste time in the phone for dumb stuff, but yesterday I also got a call from a charitable organization the president does lots of work with and donates to. They were like, this is Charity Thing following up on the invitation to our gala.

That was not enough information. Since I didn't get the person calling's name, president would not take the call.

I should note that my primary job responsibility is not to answer the phone, so, yes I'm interrupting your work, but I also interrupted MY WORK to answer the phone bc the other two people who do were busy/away from their desks. You're wasting my time making me go BACK to the person on hold to get their OMG first and last name, as much as you think I'm wasting your time.

If you care about the org and want to go to the gala, take the call. If you don't care or don't want to go, tell me to take a message. What is this "well WHO IS IT?" business, like, you might take the call if it's Rick Schmoe but not if it's Vanessa Somebody? From the SAME organization? what the fizzle? GAH I HATE YOUR WEIRD PHONE ISSUES.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:42 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I really do not understand why a visitor to a museum would spend so much effort asking questions, but not listening to the answer. This guy is so rude to my boss. He is asking her repeatedly when was this picture take. Each time she says "not sure, but" And the minute she says "but" he interrupts her to ask the same question in a different way.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:28 pm 
BAD PASS

Some company that sells "your promotional items at no cost to you!" on their website (assuming they print them as they're ordered?) and guarantees to make us $250K more money per month (sure, okay) has found my email address and has sent me six sales emails in less than a week. They emailed on Friday for the third time when I was sitting in the vet's office and I wrote back that I was out of the office tending to a personal matter. They wrote back this morning (Monday) at 8am asking if I had gotten their emails and if I was available to "jump on the phone" with him.

I wrote back and said "Hi, thanks for the email, but we aren't interested." ...which I felt was polite enough, because I really wanted to say "STOP forking EMAILING ME" ....they wrote back immediately and said "How come?"

Uhhh...because you send way too many emails and your company sounds like a scam? ...I am not responding.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:50 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I absolutely would respond, and honestly so! Obviously not my problem, though, so you do you!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, honestly. . . Asking "how come" seems kind of weird to me, so you might as well give them an honest answer. Take a hint, buddy!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 pm 
BAD PASS

It's the same company that makes those Lisa Frank all-over print leggings, and honestly, I want some of those.

But I don't see any possible way their print style would work with our stuff. It basically cuts out our designer, our printer, AND me.

And as we know, asking the person whose job you would be canceling out to hire you is never a great plan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I know my job is kind of the lowest of the low when it comes to reception-ish work (not the lowest of the low with call centers - there's always telemarketers for that), but ugh.

I can stand the annoyance that I'm not magically as all knowing as someone who works in a real office. Never mind that I can know anything they want me to know, except there are usually REALLY GREAT REASONS for me not knowing that shiitake. Like. . . Medical offices? Not knowing when your appointment is? Do you WANT me to have access to your files? Really? It'd be concerning if I did, since I doubt you signed a release of information for me! There's a reason I only know as much as you tell me! Look up HIPAA sometime! And most offices, it would just be a waste of time when I could just be a go-between and let the real people do it for them. Less time with me = less outsourced money. That makes sense, people.

I can stand that and being yelled at all the time for having to be a jerk because of various people's wishes. You know, that's the job.

It's the occasional harassment that we have no control over. This is where I draw the line. The inability to block numbers drives me NUTS. The only way a person can be blocked from calling us is if the originating office blocks them, and that's only if their number literally forwards to us. I suppose if they told us to block a number for a direct call, we could do that too. That has never happened, but. . .you know. Whatever. I'm sure it's possible.

But that dude who screamed at us from the get-go for literally no forking reason for months on end, that I've whined about previously? He could use a good block. Our latest fun boy who has decided to call up random offices (presumably from a phone book) and ask each female representative a) if she's pretty b) if she's wearing makeup c) what she's wearing? Yeah, I'd love to block that dude.

He's especially fun because he acts professional to start. The screamer? You knew from second one and could hang up. We got permission after it went on long enough. This fun boy?

"[Plumbing company], how can I help you?"
"Hi, how are you today?"
"I'm doing great, sir, how are you?"
"I'm good. Can I ask you a question?"
"Sure."
"Are you pretty?"

Just.
No.

I told him "You know, you've called several offices that we answer for and have been bothering me and my coworkers for several days. We don't appreciate it." And he said he'd stop. He has stopped. . . for tonight. I seriously doubt he's stopped for real! Just. Ugh.

Or, you know, maybe he'll stop calling places outside of normal business hours and make sexual harassment a full time job with banker hours. Which just means I've deflected the problem to our actual clients and others. Yippee!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:56 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ugh, that's so gross oddspongeout! Sorry you have to deal with that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:02 am 

Re: slimy salespeople: This guy talked me into participating in this dumb radio promotion with our winery. I dislike radio sales people--they are so ridiculously desperate and they won't comprehend that I don't believe their avenues are appropriate or effective for our business. But this one had an event at the end that was high profile and we'd be the exclusive wine vendor, and the idea was that all spring and summer we'd use the radio spots to promote our events. I tried to get ahold of my contact every month in the spring and summer, to no avail, and I even wrote the stupid script for the commercials (which you should always do...the "writers" radio stations have on staff all seem to be pitiful). I assumed he quit or was fired (I don't blame anyone for that--working on 100% commision in radio is an AWFUL job), and just last week the station sent us an invoice for the promo and told us to get a liquor license for the event. Just, NO. I never signed anything--I didn't even hear from the sales guy ONCE after saying to his face when he was harassing me that we would give it a go. I explained this to this guy's boss and probably got him fired, which I feel bad about, but jesus dude...you are really bad at your job.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:46 am 

Another. We have a gravel driveway so we hear customers from a mile away. But then they sit in their cars for what seems like HOURS. We've already stopped everything we are doing. Get in here so we can get you out!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:15 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I guess I am. There are new people at SB in the morning now and they make me feel like I'm a complete pain in the asparagus because I ask for a shorter straw and a sleeve for an iced drink. I do mobile orders so they keep saying I can/should go inside instead of the drive thru. Every morning I get huffy eye rolls, and sometimes, the window slammed before I can ask for the sleeve.

This morning I asked for my drink remade because it had 1/4" of soy milk chunks in the bottom of the cup. She told me she didn't know what they could do because they shook the soy milk up and huffed and rolled her eyes.

I miss the older crew who didn't make me feel like a pain in the asparagus every morning. I'm polite, I tip! I try not to be a pain in the asparagus and I don't expect false good cheer or anything. I've actually finally stopped tipping, so now they probably really hate me. I might start going to the slightly more inconvenient SB instead.

Am I being ridiculous being annoyed that my daily 5 minutes at SB is now unpleasant instead of a pleasant interaction with nice people?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:42 am 
BAD PASS

If you are trying to sell me something and I tell you I'm not interested, STOP! I got ANOTHER one where the salesperson will not stop pushing, and I guess they don't realize that what they are doing is making sure I will never use their company ever, for anything.

This one is for contacting people who have abandoned their carts in our online store. They called, was told I wasn't interested, then emailed me a link to their website, which I didn't look at due to not being interested, then called again to make sure I got the email for the thing I'd told them I was not interested in, then refused to mutually end the conversation, so I repeated our lack of interest and hung up on them.

I kinda want to go to his office and dump out his pen cup or something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:47 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Could you start making aggressive sales calls back to them? Like, "hey, we're having a special on [beer], and for the low, low price of [money] you can sign up to have a keg delivered every day! When would you like to start this amazing new service? etc. etc."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:52 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

We do private events at this nonmuseum. We are doing them with increasing frequency. (The president of the board told me on Friday that it was acceptable for us to remove an EXHIBIT to appease a bisque-y bride, so there is desperation going on here)

Today I was asked if we would reduce our required minimum for a private tea from 8 to 2. So reduce the minimum amount of funds from $240 to $60. Which doesn't cover the chef. I told her no. But a little part of my heart really wants my boss to have told her yes. So that I can show the board what a waste all this is.

What truly makes the caller a VSC is that in her message she said "I'll pay a little extra, like up to $80" HA. Lady, still doesn't cover the chef.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:46 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

lavawitch wrote:
a sleeve for an iced drink.

Keep a sleeve in your car and re-use it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I lose them. Also, I recycle them as parrot toys.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tuesday:
Me: hey, boss, I have sent this paperwork to this client like 4x and called 3x, not getting an answer and he never answers his phone.
Boss: ok, I talked to Helpful Contact, send it to him and he said he will take care of it.
Me: sweet! *emails HC*

Wednesday:
Nothing
Thursday:
Nothing

Friday:
HC: *read receipt for tues email*
HC: hey can you send me this other paperwork i need, thanks. Also here's this thing to finish *attaches paperwork signed by client today, but not the four things I need an have been waiting for for a month*
Me: ..ooh, kay? *sends*. Btw what about that other stuff I sent you? Any news?

Monday:
Nothing
Tuesday:
Nothing

Wednesday:
HC: hey here is more stuff I need. Please proceed with this.
Me: ..... ??? Ok... Here you go. Btw the client needs to sign this too and as you recall I am having trouble getting them to sign stuff. If you are not going to send it to them just do part B, I will send them part A to sign.
*no response*

Thursday:
Totally random unrelated contact: hey here's this thing from HC from wed can you finish it? Here's part B and also part A which we were not supposed to have a copy of, and did entirely wrong.
Me: *head explodes*

BISQUE I WILL KILL YOU.
If he asks me for something ONE MORE TIME while ignoring every single email I have ever sent him, I swear to god....

I'm with you OSO, I think my job is viewed as "low on the totem pole" or "menial" because it's "administrative."

but I'm still a person. When i ask you a direct question, answer me god dammit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:39 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

So a couple of weeks ago a large group came in. They were incredibly problematic from the start. They came in onesy-twosy and insisted on paying for everyone all at once. So I charged for the number of people in that group that were in the notmuseum. Then two more showed up and when I tried to collect the money from them I was yelled at by the "leader" because "we already paid for our whole group and you should learn to count correctly".
Turns out on my desk this morning is a letter from said letter with a check. "We attended your museum and were not charged the correct amount. We believe in doing what is right in all situations, so here is the balance."

Oh you forker, you. No apology for yelling at the staff person who was correct, or yelling at all. Not the way to start my morning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130  Next