| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

This just happened, so I'm still seething.

An older gentleman game up and asked about a wine we have on display. He said he wanted to get 2 cases. We don't let customers take full cases from the displays because we have a budget to stick to and can't afford to buy all willynilly. I tried explaining this, and offered to get empty boxes from the back, which I did. I came back out and saw that he completely ignored me and took them anyway. The really annoying thing is this wine can only be reordered on Monday for Friday. And it's 7.45 on Monday night. The display looks like shiitake now, and I'm the only one here to fix it.

I was pissed enough that I just went on my break. The guy was sitting at the sushi bar and I had to pass by him a million times because I couldn't decide what to eat. Then he just passed by the wine bar where I'm sitting! I wish I could tell him off, but he seems like the kind of guy who would complain about it.

I hope he hates the wine and every single bottle is corked (not a filter).

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

mollyjade wrote:
I always struggle with this since I only know the phonetic alphabet for a few letters. "M for...muffin?"

I always pick a theme and stick with it!

Fruit - a for apple, b for banana, c for clementine, etc
Fantasy/sci fi - d for dragon, e for elf, f for forest
Animals - g for giraffe, h for horse, i for iguana

It makes it more fun for me. Esp when I was working as an office manager and was on the phone with people a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

I work at a theme park and do lost and found. I kid you not. There are these season pass holders who lose something EVERY TIME THEY COME which is four to five times a week during the summer and every weekend during the off season. Last weekend they lost keys...again. Of course they live a ways away and of course they didn't notice until the very end of the night so they were sitting waiting for a long time after it was time to go home while we searched for them. This happens with them all the time. So much so I no longer need to ask their phone number, name or address for the reports. Insanity.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:31 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

When I worked in a grocery store, one guy told me he was looking for bread without yeast because his wife had a yeast infection. It was during the same week a woman told me she was using her coffee for a self-administered enema.

I wished my work shirt could say, "I'll show you where it is but don't tell me what you're going to do with it."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Typically I just get really shitty people coming in amid the awesome, but I cannot (never have, never will be able to) stand people who don't understand resale of instruments.

No, just because you never took your guitar out of its box doesn't mean I'm going to pay you the BRAND NEW, retail cost. You're an idiot. I can't sell a used piece of gear for the same price as new. Would YOU buy a used piece for the same you can purchase a new? No? Well, who'da thunk it? Don't be offended at me because you think your shitty guitar is worth more. It isn't. You brought it to me because I know what I'm talking about and you don't.

This is less frustrating, but more common: the old guys (it's always old guys) who look at me and ask, "Do you play anything?" I work in an instrument shop, have a guitar tattooed on my arm, and you're talking to me as I'm restringing/truss rod adjusting/tuning. Really? You really had to ask? It's especially annoying when they point out my tattoo, look at it, then still ask me.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:27 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

missdelaney wrote:
Typically I just get really shitty people coming in amid the awesome, but I cannot (never have, never will be able to) stand people who don't understand resale of instruments.

No, just because you never took your guitar out of its box doesn't mean I'm going to pay you the BRAND NEW, retail cost. You're an idiot. I can't sell a used piece of gear for the same price as new. Would YOU buy a used piece for the same you can purchase a new? No? Well, who'da thunk it? Don't be offended at me because you think your shitty guitar is worth more. It isn't. You brought it to me because I know what I'm talking about and you don't.

This is less frustrating, but more common: the old guys (it's always old guys) who look at me and ask, "Do you play anything?" I work in an instrument shop, have a guitar tattooed on my arm, and you're talking to me as I'm restringing/truss rod adjusting/tuning. Really? You really had to ask? It's especially annoying when they point out my tattoo, look at it, then still ask me.

What I want to know is, who the hell buys a guitar and then never takes it out of the box? The fact that this is even a thing makes me really sad. Why would you buy a guitar and not play it?? I...kind of want to go hug all the guitars that this has happened to. That's so sad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:30 pm 
Dead by dawn

assilembob wrote:
I work at a theme park and do lost and found. I kid you not. There are these season pass holders who lose something EVERY TIME THEY COME which is four to five times a week during the summer and every weekend during the off season. Last weekend they lost keys...again. Of course they live a ways away and of course they didn't notice until the very end of the night so they were sitting waiting for a long time after it was time to go home while we searched for them. This happens with them all the time. So much so I no longer need to ask their phone number, name or address for the reports. Insanity.

Maybe they should just visit you first when they get there. You know, drop off the keys for safekeeping. :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I worked as a phone sex 'actress' for a year then a few years later in an adult store....I have many odd stories. However there was a weird guy who would come in to sample the strawberry scented oil - so much so we had to place it behind the counter. He came in once and complained he wanted to try it before he bought it - um....he tried it so many times he went through the tester!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Butternut wrote:
A child that young by herself? That can be a sign of neglect. Coupled with the beating comments, I would report this. It's important that you do it even if you are not sure. Its possible that other people have also reported and they have an open case. What I'm trying to say is that you can't be expected to have a complete picture of the situation. Case workers evaluate the evidence as they collect it and this sounds like something they should be aware of.

If the child is there on her own, in theory, you could call the police so they could have the child taken home. We have done that when "homeschooled/unschooled" children are dropped off at the library during school hours. (Against the law here) I have also had a children's librarian walk around the building and track down a parent when a kid was "playing hide and seek" with our security guard.
But public librarians are not mandatory reporters and I totally understand why it makes for a difficult afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:01 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Vantine wrote:
But public librarians are not mandatory reporters and I totally understand why it makes for a difficult afternoon.

This actually depends on what state you are in. In some states, only certain professions are mandatory reports, but in others, everyone is.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:04 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I had a legal client who wouldn't listen to voicemail and that came back to bite her in the tuchus. I had called her a couple of days before her hearing to remind her of when it was. Mind you, I am not my client's personal assistant, but I tend remind clients of their court dates anyway. She did not listen to my voicemail nor did she call be back before her hearing. Shockingly enough, she missed her hearing and a warrant was issued for her arrest (she'd been told of the hearing at a previous court date and had multiple pieces of paperwork with the court date on it). She didn't call me back until a few days later and STILL hadn't listened to her voicemail. She was shocked to hear that there was a warrant issued for her arrest for missing her hearing and couldn't understand why I was unsympathetic to her plight.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:36 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Tzippy wrote:
I had a legal client who wouldn't listen to voicemail and that came back to bite her in the tuchus. I had called her a couple of days before her hearing to remind her of when it was. Mind you, I am not my client's personal assistant, but I tend remind clients of their court dates anyway. She did not listen to my voicemail nor did she call be back before her hearing. Shockingly enough, she missed her hearing and a warrant was issued for her arrest (she'd been told of the hearing at a previous court date and had multiple pieces of paperwork with the court date on it). She didn't call me back until a few days later and STILL hadn't listened to her voicemail. She was shocked to hear that there was a warrant issued for her arrest for missing her hearing and couldn't understand why I was unsympathetic to her plight.

Awesome! We had a guy go to the wrong courthouse the day after being reminded of the changed location of his court appearance. It was the final straw for the attorney and she moved to withdraw as his counsel. He also owed her a 5-figure sum, of which she hadn't seen one red cent. When I called him, he tried to tell me that his attorney had agreed to do it pro bono. I told him that was all well and good, but that lie might be a little more convincing if I didn't have his signed fee agreement right in front of me.

It's fine if they're gonna be stupid- it's when they assume I'm stupid, too, that it gets insulting.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:54 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
It's fine if they're gonna be stupid- it's when they assume I'm stupid, too, that it gets insulting.

I want that on a tattoo.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:58 am 
Crazy bat lady

missmuffcake wrote:
there was a weird guy who would come in to sample the strawberry scented oil - so much so we had to place it behind the counter. He came in once and complained he wanted to try it before he bought it - um....he tried it so many times he went through the tester!

EW

Buy it, dude, and use it at home. again, ew.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:14 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

5 minutes ago:

Me: He's not in right now, can I put you through to his voicemail?
Caller: So, should I leave my name and my phone number? ... or, like, a message telling him why I'm calling?
Me: .... yyyes.

Yep. I literally just had to confirm to someone how voicemail works.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
5 minutes ago:

Caller: So, should I leave my name and my phone number? ... or, like, a message telling him why I'm calling?

I would have pulled a Roy and asked "I'm sorry, are you from the past?"

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:03 pm 
Mediocre Tart

maygles wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
I always struggle with this since I only know the phonetic alphabet for a few letters. "M for...muffin?"

It makes it more fun for me. Esp when I was working as an office manager and was on the phone with people a lot.

I used to work in call centres and had to ask people how they were spelling things a lot... One memorable guy's version was "F for fellatio, O for orgasm, R for rimming,... and so on. Great theme, dude! Urgh.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

interrobang?! wrote:
maygles wrote:

I used to work in call centres and had to ask people how they were spelling things a lot... One memorable guy's version was "F for fellatio, O for orgasm, R for rimming,... and so on. Great theme, dude! Urgh.

Oh my god! D: Gross.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:40 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
5 minutes ago:

I had to talk someone through mailing a package recently. Packing the box, addressing it, taking it to the post office...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have a lot, but these are some of the top ones.

In two libraries that I've worked at, every so often I get parents who bring their very young children and let them run around the library doing whatever. They don't actually watch their children, I end up having to act like a babysitter. They run around, climb on things, grab sharp objects, interrupt classes, and one time even hit me repeatedly. When the parent finally decides to pay attention and they see me trying to juggle multiple duties at one time with the added duty of watching their child (which is not my job), they will come over, grab the kid and give me a smile that says, "Aren't my children just the cutest" and go on about how excited their children are. I get it, I really do get that they're excited but the library isn't a jungle gym, I'm not a babysitter, and you have to watch your children.

At one of the libraries, we had a patron from the town who would come in to use the photocopier all of the time but had absolutely no patience and was a really hostile person. One time he came in to use the copier with his shirt wide open, no undershirt, bare chested, and began to force papers into the photocopier. Of course, if you force a machine to do something, it's going to stop working. So when it stopped working, he started banging on it and punching it (because that's really going to help). We've seen him do this before and whenever the librarians try to talk to him, he becomes very angry and hostile. I moved towards the security button, a librarian went over to talk to him, an assistant went to back her up and he stood there yelling at her. Finally we got him to calm down, fixed the machine and as he went to leave, he apologized to the librarian but then started yelling again! Just go away, man!

This same library was known for having patrons who didn't want to leave. I had to keep chasing down people from the stacks and telling them that they really had to leave because we're closing. I think the computers were the worst, though. I'd tell them in advance that they have about 5 minutes before I had to shut everything down and close, I'd go finish other closing duties and come back to find them still sitting there. I'd warn them that they had one minute before I had to shut down. I'd come, they'd still be there! "I have to shut these computers down, the library is closed."

"Okay, just let me finish this."

"Sir, I really need to shut these computers down. The library has closed and patrons aren't allowed to stay after closing time."

"Just give me one more minute."

GTFO!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:22 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Oh boy. Yesterday was problem-central at the library.

Patrons in temporary housing (rehab and places like that, group homes, and college students) get temporary cards that limit them to checking out only three items at one time (return an item and you can get out another). The cards also expire every month and can be renewed if the patron has under $2.01 in fines and can provide proof of address. So a woman came in yesterday with a group of other women (who I know live at a rehab facility). She already had out three items, so I let her know that she can't check out anything else. That was all I said before she said "I don't have a temporary card!" How would she know about temporary cards and how they work if she didn't have one? Anyway, I explained that the address we had down for her is that of a rehab facility. She claimed that she didn't live there and has no idea who put down that address and that it was NOT her, and how could we let someone do that? I told her that all she had to do to get that changed was to bring in proof of her address. She got a major attitude and was totally rude. Anyway, as she was leaving with the other women, one said to her "____, when is our drug test tonight?" Busted.

Then there was a regular who comes in every day who made a horrible comment about white people in front of me. So I don't want to wait on him anymore, and that's an issue because a lot of times, I'm the only one behind the desk. My coworker told me to report him, but I think I might talk to him about it (which I'm also allowed to do). If he says anything else, I might ban him for a month (he's had other warnings in the past).

There was some meeting and the parents left their TINY kids ALONE in the library while they were in the meeting room. The kids were running all over the place and were screaming and RIPPING books apart. We kept throwing the kids into the meeting room, but that pissed off the people in there, so they kept sending the kids out. UGH. Four of us tried to get the kids under control and we couldn't.

Then we had another program in the meeting room. This one was for families. These families usually come for story time, which is held early in the morning before the library opens, so the kids can be as loud as they want. Well, I guess since the parents are used to that, they thought that after the meeting, they could take over the library? The parents were all standing there chatting while their kids were being loud as hell. We had to keep telling them to be quiet, but it did no good. The parents weren't doing anything about it either. Then a cop happened to come into the library and I heard him say something like "Damn, it's loud in here." He magically got everyone to be quiet.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

So i work in a cafe, and midmorning i took a break and sat down with a muffin and a cup of coffee for my break when a customer who comes in frequently (but not one who jokes around with us or anything) walks over near me and goes

'EUGH THAT FACE!"

so i say "excuse me?"

"YOU'RE MAKING THE MOST TERRIBLE FACE"

"I'm eating a muffin?"

"YOU LOOK HORRIBLE YOU'RE MAKING THE MOST TERRIBLE FACE"

now, i was not previously making a face, however now i have on a face that says 'what the fizzle is wrong with you?'

"YOU'RE JUST MAKING THE MOST TERRIBLE FACE"

i can't say anything as rude to this lady as she was to me, so i just got up and went into the back room.

but seriously!

(also i happen to think i have a nice face)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:49 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I have worked at this library for a month. I started looking at the mugshots of people arrested each day, because someone had said that he always sees patrons. Sure enough, this week, I saw two mugshots of patrons from my small library alone. Only 4-8 people get arrested a day here, so it's not like there's a good chance of seeing someone I'd know. Also, I always think that just about everyone looks familiar, but I don't trust facial recognition, so I only count it if I know the patron by name. I might know just about all of them!

One guy just tried to smuggle pot into a prison, which is meh. The other guy though did something horrendous and the victim is also a patron :(

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I have a lot, but these are some of the top ones.

In two libraries that I've worked at, every so often I get parents who bring their very young children and let them run around the library doing whatever. They don't actually watch their children, I end up having to act like a babysitter. They run around, climb on things, grab sharp objects, interrupt classes, and one time even hit me repeatedly. When the parent finally decides to pay attention and they see me trying to juggle multiple duties at one time with the added duty of watching their child (which is not my job), they will come over, grab the kid and give me a smile that says, "Aren't my children just the cutest" and go on about how excited their children are. I get it, I really do get that they're excited but the library isn't a jungle gym, I'm not a babysitter, and you have to watch your children.

At one of the libraries, we had a patron from the town who would come in to use the photocopier all of the time but had absolutely no patience and was a really hostile person. One time he came in to use the copier with his shirt wide open, no undershirt, bare chested, and began to force papers into the photocopier. Of course, if you force a machine to do something, it's going to stop working. So when it stopped working, he started banging on it and punching it (because that's really going to help). We've seen him do this before and whenever the librarians try to talk to him, he becomes very angry and hostile. I moved towards the security button, a librarian went over to talk to him, an assistant went to back her up and he stood there yelling at her. Finally we got him to calm down, fixed the machine and as he went to leave, he apologized to the librarian but then started yelling again! Just go away, man!

This same library was known for having patrons who didn't want to leave. I had to keep chasing down people from the stacks and telling them that they really had to leave because we're closing. I think the computers were the worst, though. I'd tell them in advance that they have about 5 minutes before I had to shut everything down and close, I'd go finish other closing duties and come back to find them still sitting there. I'd warn them that they had one minute before I had to shut down. I'd come, they'd still be there! "I have to shut these computers down, the library is closed."

"Okay, just let me finish this."

"Sir, I really need to shut these computers down. The library has closed and patrons aren't allowed to stay after closing time."

"Just give me one more minute."

GTFO!

The photocopier guy would have been tresspassed at my library.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

bastah wrote:
I have worked at this library for a month. I started looking at the mugshots of people arrested each day,...

one library i used to work at, we received and were required to post mugshots of sex offenders living in the neighborhood. (we had a lot of kids' programs). we couldn't tell them they couldn't come in but we were constantly calling the cops once they did come in. ALL.THE.TIME. luckily we had a security guy to babysit the offender til the cops came (usually they would pass this time by watching porn. porn was not blocked at this library at the time, and not prohibited unless it was in the line of sight of the children's area, which nobody understood and we had to explain about 100 times an hour.) it was really unpleasant. haven't thought about that in a while.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 63  Next