| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1891 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:41 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

It is just one of those weeks. Every person through the doors has been super needy, or rude, or both. Two people have threatened violence. One threatened to call the police. And one could not understand why bossman didn't have her case going to trial a whole 3 hours after being assigned it.
So little miss entitlement has no room to play.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:43 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

allularpunk wrote:
How about the lady who called me four times last night? I was working alone (again), and we were busy (as usual) and the phone already wouldn't forking stop ringing (I hate phones), but THIS LADY......

Quit. Just quit calling me on the forking phone while I'm obviously busy (I kept having to say, 'I'll be right with you!' to people, so she knew I had customers in the store) over and over again to google shiitake for you when you have a computer/smartphone/tablet/something that is connected to the internet. If you're in the store, and you're right there, and we need to find something out, then fine. But over the phone? 4 times?

fjdjiofPEIJGIOFJERAGLIJRIEAgjrielgriseng;rekjgnrioesger

allarpunk - would it be okay if you put callers like her on hold until you didn't have customers in line? I never understand why phone callers have precedence over others waiting.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:57 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Jill wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
How about the lady who called me four times last night? I was working alone (again), and we were busy (as usual) and the phone already wouldn't forking stop ringing (I hate phones), but THIS LADY......

Quit. Just quit calling me on the forking phone while I'm obviously busy (I kept having to say, 'I'll be right with you!' to people, so she knew I had customers in the store) over and over again to google shiitake for you when you have a computer/smartphone/tablet/something that is connected to the internet. If you're in the store, and you're right there, and we need to find something out, then fine. But over the phone? 4 times?

allarpunk - would it be okay if you put callers like her on hold until you didn't have customers in line? I never understand why phone callers have precedence over others waiting.

Because if you ask them to hold and it takes more than 30 seconds they hang up and complain to your manager later.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:58 am 
WELFARIST!

Moon wrote:
Jill wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Because if you ask them to hold and it takes more than 30 seconds they hang up and complain to your manager later.

Yawp. And every time she called, I had answered the phone before an in-store customer needed something. I feel like the person I started serving first gets precedence. If I was helping a customer when the phone rang, I would have put her on hold.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:43 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I am sooo glad I am no longer beholden to pleasing insane "customer is always right" type of people. I don't mean that to sound gloaty, because I have certainly done my fair share of that work! I have the deepest sympathy for folks who need to grin and bear it. I'm just suuuper happy those days are (hopefully and for the most part) behind me.

It's interesting how pervasive this culture of "I'm the client/customer therefore I'm ALWAYS right!" is. I personally experienced this when I tried to tell an inmate calling from death row, politely but firmly, that nobody at our office could take his appeal case and that he had exhausted all resources at the office (after multiple phone calls and ten minutes on this one and him asking me to personally and individually present his case to all 15+ attorneys on staff). He said "wow, you have an attitude, don't you?"* to which I responded "what I have is a lot of work to do." His parting salvo was "I'm a paying client!" No, dude. No, you're not. No one has taken your case, therefore you are not a client. You are asking for pro bono assistance, therefore you are not paying. And unless I have false memories of dialing "0" to accept your call a few moments ago, you're not even paying for this telephone call. I hung up on him, and he had the nerve to try calling back (again, collect) a minute later. Somehow and for some very strange reason I did not accept the charges.

*A badge of honor I will wear to my dying day: my bad attitude is San Quentin Death Row-certified.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

I work on the ramp for a regional airline and we board passengers from the ground (as opposed to a jetbridge). Because our planes are small, we take the larger carry-ons when people board and load them in the cargo hold and the passengers pick them up planeside when the land. We have flights to Seattle almost every half hour, usually filled with business or international travellers that know the process. On our other flights (for example, to Sacramento or Fresno), though, people get confused ("it's carry-on size! It'll fit!" is common) and there are some pretty funny interactions. The other day:

Me: Hi! I can take that bag for you. You can pick it up right outside the plane when you land.
Passenger: Is my bag getting loaded on this plane? I don't have a name tag on it.
Me: Yes, and as long as you know what your bag looks like, it'll be fine!
Passenger: no, I'm asking if it's getting loaded on THIS plane.
Me: Well, we load the bag on the plane the passenger is taking, so yes, it will be loaded on this plane.

While I'm pretty sure he was wondering what to do if it got lost, the way he asked the question just made me giggle.

Another interaction I had this week was with a woman who had three carry-on bags. FAA limits two carry-ons per person, this is not a secret. There are signs all over every airport in the US, announcements done at the gate AND TSA is supposed to be watching for multiple items (but whatever, they suck). There are a LOT of people that think they are exempt from the rule because of their mileage status or the fact they haven't been caught before and they can get pretty abusive to me when I try to enforce it (at that point, I will happily gate-check a bag). A woman boarding one of my flights comes out with a roller bag, a large shoulder bag, and a smaller purse.

Me: Hi, I'm sorry, but each passenger is only allowed two carry-ons. Can you put your purse in that bag? Once you're on the plane you can take it back out.
Passenger: Well, I JUST took it out. I don't want to put it back in.
Me: I understand, but you're only allowed two carry-ons. Like I said, once you're in your seat you can take it back out.
Passenger: They're not even checking at the gate!! They should have told me then. This is stupid.
Me: Well, they should have caught it, but that's why we watch for this out here, too.
Passenger: Oh, I see. I did have my purse in my bag to go through the boarding door, and just took it out. *puts it back in*

So, she went through the boarding door with two items, unconsolidated before she got to me, and tried to blame the gate for not catching her.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:47 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Airports manage the bring out the most idiotic thoughts/actions in so many people. Last time I was at your place of work, I was at the front of the line for ID check before security when some hot-shot speeds to the front of the 'first class' line right next to the line I'm in (the one for the hoi polloi proletariat class). Naturally when the next agent frees up I have to let him go instead of me, and when he gets up to the podium has to be told to get his ticket and his ID out.

FOR REAL DUDE HAVE YOU NEVER BEEN TO AN AIRPORT AFTER 9/11?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 pm 
Nailed to the V

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Airports manage the bring out the most idiotic thoughts/actions in so many people.

Truth! I have to stop people on a daily basis because they bolt OFF of the plane and take off towards the terminal. They don't quite understand why their actions come across as sketchy, they just want to grab their forgotten laptop/phone/suitcase/coffee...(your friendly ramp/gate agents will happily grab that for you, please sit back down, kthankx)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:35 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Steffers! wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Airports manage the bring out the most idiotic thoughts/actions in so many people.

Truth! I have to stop people on a daily basis because they bolt OFF of the plane and take off towards the terminal. They don't quite understand why their actions come across as sketchy, they just want to grab their forgotten laptop/phone/suitcase/coffee...(your friendly ramp/gate agents will happily grab that for you, please sit back down, kthankx)

Wow, those are luxurious levels of ignorance! I'm your standard-issue white lady, but my ex was often assumed to be Arab (he's South Asian), and my current boyfriend is Arab (and his name is straight out of the Koran), so I've learned vicariously how truly privileged you have to be to innocently pull some shady shiitake in an airport!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:34 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

"I'm turning in my index early! I left out the page numbers. I thought you'd be better at filling them in than I would, so I left it for you to do."

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

oh that is precious.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:06 am 
Grandfathered In

Wait, what.

How can...

I mean...

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:17 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

mollyjade wrote:
"I'm turning in my index early! I left out the page numbers. I thought you'd be better at filling them in than I would, so I left it for you to do."

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:28 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

Ha!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:49 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I think I'm just going to get a sign made for our front stoop that reads "The Shitheel Saloon". Every week there's somebody in various stages of filth-encrustation drinking a 40 in a baggie.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

Got called up to approve a return today. We're not supposed to take back opened food/beauty/supplement products. This batshit crazy old bisque was telling me about how some face cream she got didn't work. I told her how we're not supposed to do returns on those unless they had an allergic reaction or a doctor told them to stop taking it or something. She went nuts on me about how are you supposed to know if a product works unless you try it??? I was like, 'There's a level of risk involved in buying any beauty product...?' But no, she insisted that I could take it back, that I was just going to put it in damages and return it to the manufacturer anyway (no idea what we do with returned items, I am so not a manager), that I just didn't want to take it back.

I just approved the return and told her I'd let my manager deal with it tomorrow, and walked away. I don't even forking care anymore. People are the worst.

ETA: our return policy is clearly posted and in large letters.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:26 am 
Seagull of the PPK

more my problem than their problem, but i am doing a job that is in Courier. who the fork writes anything in Courier, even worse, who can READ anything in Courier? [finds something to poke out eyes with]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:26 am 
Bathes in Braggs

torque, can you Ctrl A, change font? That's what I'd do. Ugh.

Occasionally I get an email in some weird font or, worse, in coloured font. Ick. Or with those crazy huge and/or script signatures.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:30 am 

We only work in Courier. It's how we estimate book size. Working in anything other than Courier 12 at 150% zoom looks weird to me now.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:53 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ack molly!!! i suppose you can get used to anything! it was like getting hit in the face when i opened the text. But it wasn't comic sans, so I guess i shouldn't complain too much.....

(the first thing i did was change font and write myself a huge note to change back before delivery)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:42 am 
Grandfathered In

Yes, I've had to do that. Wasn't a courier issue. Some other font.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:53 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

In the law office I worked at, we did everything in courier new. I kind of miss it, to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:57 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Fun fact: if you are assigned a court appointed attorney for one thing, that DOES NOT mean you are assigned one for all the stupid things you do.

We also used to joke about how 20% of the people will take 80% of your time. But around here right now, every single client thinks they are our only client.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:20 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

jordanpattern wrote:
In the law office I worked at, we did everything in courier new. I kind of miss it, to be honest.

Yup yup. I feel weird when forced to work in Times New Roman now. Also, because it's 2014, we're slowly being forced off Word Perfect into MS Word and it's killing me.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:54 am 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

Yup yup. I feel weird when forced to work in Times New Roman now. Also, because it's 2014, we're slowly being forced off Word Perfect into MS Word and it's killing me.

The last press I worked at used Word Perfect, and I really miss being able to delete formatting codes. It's so incredibly useful. In Word, you just have to mess around until you can figure out what stray hidden code is causing your formatting problems.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1891 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 76  Next