| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
We had a message on our answering machine this morning that said, "Hi, have you seen the cat? He is all grey and he has his claws and his balls. [giggles] His name is Shakespeare and he is my cat." So now we're keeping an eye out for a grey cat with claws and balls.

I forgot what thread I was in for a minute so I thought you meant this message was on your home phone. And was bewildered.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:03 am 
Nailed to the V

Our machine that loads gift cards isn't working, and I emailed a woman who ordered one online last night to let her know there would be a slight delay in getting her gift card out while we got it fixed.

She's super mad because it was for her dad for Fathers Day, and it's all my fault she isn't going to have a gift for her dad.

A gift she ordered BY MAIL at 9pm on the Wednesday night before Fathers Day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:05 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

gift cards are dumb anyway. just give your dad some cold hard cash. that's essentially what a gift card is anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:05 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, but see now she can blame you instead of her own poor planning.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:15 am 
Nailed to the V

Aww yeah. I'm not new to ruining holidays, though. I've ruined so many Christmases. Birthdays, anniversaries, Valentines Days... you name it, I've been accused of ruining it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:37 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

supercarrot wrote:
just give your dad some cold hard cash.

But that's what dads are supposed to do for you, not vice versa.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:06 pm 

if she can't think of a gift that's just a thinly veiled substitute for cold hard cash (that inconveniently can't just be used anywhere), then she doesn't deserve to be in a gift-exchanging situation with him.

the only time i can accept gift card purchases is when you buy it at a grocery store and they give you a coupon for 10% of the card purchase back as grocery credit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:26 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I... huh? Are you sure this is just about gift cards?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

I left one for a friend who took care of my dog while I was out of town overnight. She wouldn't accept cash, so I left an iTunes gift card.

But for your dad for Fathers Day? Kinda lame.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:34 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I'm just taking my dad out for lunch, didn't get him a gift. Guess I'm a huge crasshole!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

Wha? No. That isn't...no.

I guess I should have said... "But to order it at the last minute for your dad for Fathers Day to be sent to him by mail in an amount that won't even buy half his meal and then yell at the employee at the place you ordered it from because he probably isn't going to get it in time for Fathers Day? Kinda lame.

...I sent my dad Bob Ross DVDs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:54 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I think Erika just meant the "if you give your dad a gift card you don't deserve to be giving him gifts at all" sentiment is a little harsh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:00 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Fee wrote:
I think Erika just meant the "if you give your dad a gift card you don't deserve to be giving him gifts at all" sentiment is a little harsh.

Yeah, specifically this:

supercarrot wrote:
if she can't think of a gift that's just a thinly veiled substitute for cold hard cash (that inconveniently can't just be used anywhere), then she doesn't deserve to be in a gift-exchanging situation with him.

Hollie's explanation that it was last-minute, half-assed, and for an amount that wouldn't even cover a full meal makes a lot of sense. But to suggest someone doesn't "deserve" to be in a gift-exchanging situation with their own parents because of gift cards?

Supercarrot, did you witness your grandmother being run over by a truckload of iTunes gift cards? There's just a surprising amount of ire there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Maybe this is just because I am a terrible planner regarding birthdays and holidays, and so are my parents (well, most especially my mom, my dad is better than either my mom or I for sure), and also none of us are all that big on presents, but I think a gift card is totally fine AND I might be slightly annoyed if I tried to last-minute order a gift card for someone before a holiday and the company's gift-card-making method wasn't working but it certainly wouldn't ruin my holiday or anything! I'd just make/buy the person a card and in this case, maybe pick up some actual beer, and then tell them what's up and that a gift card would be forthcoming. Not a huge deal?

Also on the off-topic-y topic of gift cards, I feel like I recently had a gift card win. My friend who is a jeweler/metalsmith recently helped my partner and I make wedding rings for each other. She spent like 4 evenings over the course of several weeks having us come over and showing us how to use her tools and helping us when we couldn't do it quite right, and didn't want to accept any money for her time and expertise and for letting us use her tools and things, even at her friends-and-family rate. Both my partner and I really value people's time and knowledge about their craft, and we wanted to do something nice for her to show our appreciation, so we got her a gift card for our favorite local garden store, and for a local brewery/pub that is close to both of our houses and has very delicious food and beer. She is both a beer and garden enthusiast, so when she opened them she seemed pretty happy with those choices and was like, "Oh these are a sign of someone who knows me well!"

Sure, sometimes gift cards are a pain because you wouldn't actually go to those places yourself and/or you really need money for something else, but I think it can also be a thoughtful way to show someone you DO know them well, and want to give them an experience that you aren't necessarily going to be a part of yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:52 pm 

haha. sorry. :-) i just think they're a bit impersonal. (at least for close family.) they're a huge waste of plastic. (i'm sensitive to rampant plastic use when there is an alternative. i nearly shat my pants when i saw that itunes cards are now made of cardboard.)

whenever i get a gift of money or gift cards, honestly, i put it back into the budget to give it back when their time comes for a gift. (really, when you boil it down, all gifts are is a shuffling back and forth of money and goods.) i feel uncomfortable with the whole gift giving culture. appreciation for someone who provides a service, sure i'm not debating that. but meh. (maybe i am so sensitive because i have a biiig irish family. we have to budget more than we're comfortable with just for gifts.)

i've been spending the past few months growing hot peppers on my porch. my dad totally knows what he's getting from me. (i think i'll also get him an earth box since he keeps them on his porch, and his dinky pots don't really cut it.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

If it makes you feel any better... we recycle ours.

Downside: I just had to shuffle through a stack of them to find some that didn't look like a bear shiitake'd them out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:12 pm 
WRETCHED

I know someone who won't be getting any gift cards from me...

We actually give our neighbor a gift card to home depot for father's day. He mows our yard (it is a tiny yard) and he loves home depot. I mean seriously LOVES home depot. giving him a gift card gives him an excuse to go there and spend on whatever trinkets.

But yes if you order gift cards on the internet a few days before the day you plan to give the gift, that is dumb.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:15 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Hollie wrote:

...I sent my dad Bob Ross DVDs.

Best gift ever! love Bob Ross.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:12 pm 

I gave my dad an iTunes gift card for his last birthday. I needed to come up with something he would use, but he's bad about buying anything and everything he wants when he wants it so it's tough to get gift ideas. Plus he had moved into our house a month before and wasn't really mobile so.... I felt limited.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I always gave my dad book gift cards for holidays. Usually I would get him a book I picked out too, but that way he could get stuff for his kindle like weird books on alien sightings that I would never in a million years pick out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love getting & giving gift cards! Except for when I get them for restaurants I will never go to.... we coached Silas' soccer team this season and the parents all chipped in and gave us a $100 Applebee's giftcard. So nice! But we'll end up giving it to my parents probably.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

There are websites where you exchange your gift cards. I have no idea how good they are.

https://www.plasticjungle.com/?external ... Disabled=Y

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:26 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I just had a really funny experience in someone else's workplace. I went to the corner store to buy a six pack and a large man was talking passionately to the young clerk. He was yelling things like "they say it's hard, man, and I say they're lazy! It ain't hard! What do you know about working? You're just lazy! Drinking your six packs at all times of day not knowing how to get a job," and on and on. The clerk was like "yeah! sure!" Then the guy left and the clerk turned to me and said "that guy was passionate. I didn't even say anything to him!"

"You didn't?" I said. He says, "naw, there were these guys buying some six packs in here and I said 'hey, looks like you're having a good night.' And as soon as they left that guy just went off." I told him I hoped the rest of his night was not crazy!

It's one thing to go off on your crazy rant if you see some dudes buying six packs at like, 10am on a Tuesday. And even then, don't assume they're unemployed- I have coworkers who buy six packs faithfully every day at 2pm. I mean, it's unprofessional as shiitake, but their boss is the one buying half the time, so they're definitely employed. But this is 6pm on a Friday, man. Let some dudes drink their beers.

tl;dr: I quit working to drink beer paid for with gift cards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:58 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Let some dudes drink their beers.

frrrrrrrrreals. And their wine spritzers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

tl;dr: I quit working to drink beer paid for with gift cards

Sigged!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 72  Next