| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:53 pm 
WELFARIST!

I love gift cards and giving them. I don't think they're impersonal at all. It's not like people just grab whatever gift card is closest to their face and throw it at people, it does involve some thought on what store or product the person would really like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:33 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I also like gift cards!

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:21 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I think it's safe to say the topic of gift cards has been thoroughly exhausted.

Someone please tell me about some crazy crasshole that came into their work today!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I worked my tail off helping a struggling student and he passed his test on the second attempt. I emailed his mom the good news and she wrote back "I was never worried about my son."

Kid has been on the verge of failing all year and has needed a lot of handholding and remediation. Sweet kid. Mom seems like a pill. She jolly well should have been worried! Maybe some support of some kind during the year might have helped?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This is more on the opposite side of things, but I had jury duty today and one of the guard-type people was SUCH a grouch. He was letting us in and I was a bit flustered because I was nervous (I have these moments where I screw up enough for people to notice and feel like a dumbo) and didn't realize I hadn't already walked through the metal detector, set it off w/my bag. Guy got pissy with me (I was very apologetic/polite). And pissy again when I came in with my badge number in my bag-super easy to retrieve once it goes through the xray machine! I get that he deals with shitty shitty people quite often but I was kind of sad and annoyed that he had to then take it out on me. (I probably could have been slightly nicer/calmer/etc)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I don't know. Every experience I have had with the court house security staff has been crappy and I have been nothing but nice.
This last time she (after I had gone through and NOT set off the alarms) demanded that I take the plastic hair chopsticks out of my hair. "Are those a weapon? They look like a weapon".

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

kfad wrote:
I don't know. Every experience I have had with the court house security staff has been crappy and I have been nothing but nice.
This last time she (after I had gone through and NOT set off the alarms) demanded that I take the plastic hair chopsticks out of my hair. "Are those a weapon? They look like a weapon".

Wow... that's just... wow.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Our store is closed at the moment while we move to a new location. The door is plastered with papers saying closed in English, French, and Dutch, and other papers explaining the situation. There are moving boxes lined up near the door. We've been working in there getting ready for the move, but have been keeping the lights off. (We get plenty of light through the windows, but it definitely looks like we're closed with the lights off.)

Saturday, some guy comes knocking on the locked door. He needs an Oxford dictionary and he needs it now. We explain to him that we're not able to trade at the moment; we can't search our database, and even if we could, we can't process a sale. Yes, but he really needs an Oxford dictionary. Do we at least have one? (He hasn't even specified what kind. There are multitudes of Oxford dictionaries, even just in English. Forget about English-French, English German, etc.) We tell him we don't know and can't look at the moment and once again explain that even if we did, we couldn't sell it to him. He goes away in a huff.

That must have been some vocabulary emergency.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:59 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Oh my gosh, this guy from the Ontario Liquor Board (he's like, the main dude) sends me three paragraphs about the weather in Toronto with every email! It's amazing. The last one was pure gold. Paragraphs about summer arriving to Toronto and hope for his balcony tomato plants but like an Ontarionian (<--is that a thing?) and "like any good Canuck (not THAT kind of Canuck, Go Maple Leafs!), I keep a shovel and salt in my front closet." I would say this is annoying but I actually get so excited when I see an email from him. I know EVERYTHING about Toronto weather you guys. Dude thinks it might snow in July. He is tickled pink that I moved from the west coast to the east and takes it as his personal responsibility to make sure I know what's going on meteorologically in the Canadian centre of the universe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:50 am 
Level 7 Vegan

A guy came into the shop today and threatened us and shoved me away. In the end he was shoved out. But not by me. I just froze. I hate it so much. That's why I can't work alone because every time someone like this enters the store I just freeze and can't react at all. Shitty re-traumatization.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:46 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

VeganinBerlin wrote:
A guy came into the shop today and threatened us and shoved me away. In the end he was shoved out. But not by me. I just froze. I hate it so much. That's why I can't work alone because every time someone like this enters the store I just freeze and can't react at all. Shitty re-traumatization.

What the heck! Where do you work???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a regular customer with a golden doodle who waits months between grooms, so he almost always has to be cut short because of matts (not even what groomers consider a shavedown, just a short haircut). The owner knows why I have to cut him short, and I've explained that I can leave his hair as long as she'd like if she brings him in every 4-6 weeks instead of every 2-3 months. She has a new boyfriend who has been dropping off and picking up the dog, and he dropped off yesterday and left instructions to just do a "face/feet/fanny" trim, which is fine, but he also said "she just sheared him last time, I can shear him myself." So next time this dog comes in matted and needs a short haircut, I'm going to call the owner and tell her "Well, boyfriend said he wanted to do it himself next time he needed to be SHEARED. Are you sure you want to pay me $90 to do it?"

Just for the record, evenly shaving/trimming/whatever a dog with clippers is not as straight-forward as you might think. I'd give up the business once just to see this crasshole make her dog look like shiitake.

This probably seems like an overreaction to one little statement, but this guy is rude to everyone all the time. Parks right in front of the door so other customers have to walk around his vehicle, makes snide comments to everyone, complains about shiitake, never tips when he picks up for baths/haircuts. Entitled jerkwad.

Last edited by creep on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:13 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

vijita wrote:
Oh my gosh, this guy from the Ontario Liquor Board (he's like, the main dude) sends me three paragraphs about the weather in Toronto with every email! It's amazing. The last one was pure gold. Paragraphs about summer arriving to Toronto and hope for his balcony tomato plants but like an Ontarionian (<--is that a thing?) and "like any good Canuck (not THAT kind of Canuck, Go Maple Leafs!), I keep a shovel and salt in my front closet." I would say this is annoying but I actually get so excited when I see an email from him. I know EVERYTHING about Toronto weather you guys. Dude thinks it might snow in July. He is tickled pink that I moved from the west coast to the east and takes it as his personal responsibility to make sure I know what's going on meteorologically in the Canadian centre of the universe.

I love this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:49 am 
BAD PASS

I love that too. I wish I had a person like that who emailed me!

I'm always amazed at how difficult people/customers have to try to make things that would otherwise be really simple. Like they'll call my office phone and say something like, "So we were thinking of coming there...and...if we came there, now...could we actually BUY beer there on your premises? And if wanted to eat... is there ...do you have a menu with food for say, lunch, if we wanted to eat lunch there? Do you do that? And, about how long would it take me to get there from [town I've never heard of]? Is it a pretty easy drive?" When it would take about four seconds to google pretty much all of that stuff. This is fine, and it doesn't make me mad or anything, really. It's just so strange to me that they'd rather call and ask a thousand questions rather than try to find the answers themselves. I keep getting bogged down in wondering how they function in their daily lives.

And yesterday I went to the post office and the guy at the window next to me plops down this set of keys on the counter and says, "I need to mail this. How do I mail this? How much does this cost to mail?" They weren't in a box or an envelope or anything, and the post office employee was like, "Uhhm... well, it would need to be in some kind of container and have the address on it..." and he interrupted her to say in a super rude tone, "[SIGH] How do I do that??"

So yeah, I've been thinking about clueless people/customers today.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Potato wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

What the heck! Where do you work???

In a bookstore. My boyfriend said we should have called the police but I was paralyzed and the other said we shouldn't after he was gone. A publisher representative was there at the time and she pushed him outside of the door after he tried to hit her and shoved us around. And then outside there was a neighbour with his kid and this guy threatened them and told the neighbour "you really need to look out for your kid....!!". It was so creepy.

ashley wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hollie wrote:
I'm always amazed at how difficult people/customers have to try to make things that would otherwise be really simple. Like they'll call my office phone and say something like, "So we were thinking of coming there...and...if we came there, now...could we actually BUY beer there on your premises? And if wanted to eat... is there ...do you have a menu with food for say, lunch, if we wanted to eat lunch there? Do you do that? And, about how long would it take me to get there from [town I've never heard of]? Is it a pretty easy drive?" When it would take about four seconds to google pretty much all of that stuff. This is fine, and it doesn't make me mad or anything, really. It's just so strange to me that they'd rather call and ask a thousand questions rather than try to find the answers themselves. I keep getting bogged down in wondering how they function in their daily lives.

I'm always really confused when non-elderly customers call my work and ask for directions. I feel like with all the technology available, the average person should be able to find a place with just the address. We're in a very conspicuous location on a main road, not somewhere that maps/GPS directions would be confusing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Before I had a smartphone, I would call places when I thought I knew where they were and found out I didn't when I was already on my way there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:17 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Caller: How much to take some names off of wills you did for us?
Me: $xx per will
Caller: That much? Can't you just use white out?

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:31 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

kfad wrote:
Caller: How much to take some names off of wills you did for us?
Me: $xx per will
Caller: That much? Can't you just use white out?

HA!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:52 pm 
Dead by dawn

creep wrote:
Hollie wrote:

I'm always really confused when non-elderly customers call my work and ask for directions. I feel like with all the technology available, the average person should be able to find a place with just the address. We're in a very conspicuous location on a main road, not somewhere that maps/GPS directions would be confusing.

I'm always surprised when someone calls or emails me to set up a job interview and they're like, "Do you know where we're located? Do you need directions?" If I can't figure out where you are and how to get there, with three days notice, you probably should not even consider hiring me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

I was working alone this evening, and had to do back stock. This means putting up a sign at the register that says to go up to the other registers and being back and forth between the back of the store and the front, so I may not always be around when customers have questions. No big deal, they usually go up front and then I get paged. So, that happened today, except when I got paged, I was already back in the store and helping another customer. I mean, I was in the middle of showing a lady where something was, so I couldn't just walk away and try to find the other person that needed help. So she found me instead, interrupted what I was saying to this other woman, and went on and on about how they said there was someone back here, and there wasn't, and she couldn't find me, and where was I? I explained that I was in the back getting stock, and she again said that she was told I would would back there, and yet I was not. I cheerfully said, 'Well, I'm here now!' and asked what I could help her with. She wanted this pain supplement that we were out of. We had the non-extra strength, and we had the same product, but in a larger quantity, but not the exact one she wanted. She asked if we had any in the back. I told her that I'd just been back there and there weren't any, then checked the back stock that's located on the top shelves, and we just didn't have any. She was like, 'It just doesn't make sense that you have all the others, but not this one!' Guh, she was so huffy. Uh...sometimes that shiitake happens? I was about to ask her if she wanted me to order some for her, or transfer them from another store, but before I did, I said that I was sorry we were out of it. She interrupted me, exaggeratedly snatched the larger quantity item off the shelf, and said, 'Everyone is just so sorry.' And stomped away.

What the fork did I do, lady? Sorry I was working alone and couldn't be there for you the instant that you needed it, that we were out of the one thing you want, that you interrupted me before I could solve your problem, that you're a turd, and are mean to retail workers because you've probably had a bad day. Thanks for taking it out on me!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:47 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

allularpunk wrote:
I was working alone this evening, and had to do back stock. This means putting up a sign at the register that says to go up to the other registers and being back and forth between the back of the store and the front, so I may not always be around when customers have questions. No big deal, they usually go up front and then I get paged. So, that happened today, except when I got paged, I was already back in the store and helping another customer. I mean, I was in the middle of showing a lady where something was, so I couldn't just walk away and try to find the other person that needed help. So she found me instead, interrupted what I was saying to this other woman, and went on and on about how they said there was someone back here, and there wasn't, and she couldn't find me, and where was I? I explained that I was in the back getting stock, and she again said that she was told I would would back there, and yet I was not. I cheerfully said, 'Well, I'm here now!' and asked what I could help her with. She wanted this pain supplement that we were out of. We had the non-extra strength, and we had the same product, but in a larger quantity, but not the exact one she wanted. She asked if we had any in the back. I told her that I'd just been back there and there weren't any, then checked the back stock that's located on the top shelves, and we just didn't have any. She was like, 'It just doesn't make sense that you have all the others, but not this one!' Guh, she was so huffy. Uh...sometimes that shiitake happens? I was about to ask her if she wanted me to order some for her, or transfer them from another store, but before I did, I said that I was sorry we were out of it. She interrupted me, exaggeratedly snatched the larger quantity item off the shelf, and said, 'Everyone is just so sorry.' And stomped away.

What the fork did I do, lady? Sorry I was working alone and couldn't be there for you the instant that you needed it, that we were out of the one thing you want, that you interrupted me before I could solve your problem, that you're a turd, and are mean to retail workers because you've probably had a bad day. Thanks for taking it out on me!

Ugh. This basically describes half of my interactions with customers on a daily basis. I think retail has ruined humanity for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

allularpunk wrote:
She was like, 'It just doesn't make sense that you have all the others, but not this one!'

Right. Because items never sell out.

We get this too, especially when an author dies. Then suddenly everyone wants their books, and they sell out and it takes a week to reorder. So the day after someone dies, you'll inevitably get more than one indignant customer who is shocked (SHOCKED, I tell you!) that suddenly your stock of Gabriel Garcia Marquez books has been depleted. Don't you know that they've died? How can you not have any Gabriel Garcia Marquez books? Because everyone else in the world was suddenly interested in reading them and they got here before you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:00 am 
WELFARIST!

Oh yes. Whenever Dr. Oz mentions something on his show, we immediately (same day) sell out of whatever it is, and then it takes at least a week to get more stock back in. That's if we even carried it to begin with - usually it's something we don't have ('But he said you can get it at any health food store!'), and then even if they do decide to send us stock, it can take weeks. People get so pissed. Hey, everyone? Dr. Oz doesn't call the health food stores in advance to tell them that he's going to mention a product on Tuesday.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:15 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

allularpunk wrote:
Oh yes. Whenever Dr. Oz mentions something on his show, we immediately (same day) sell out of whatever it is, and then it takes at least a week to get more stock back in. That's if we even carried it to begin with - usually it's something we don't have ('But he said you can get it at any health food store!'), and then even if they do decide to send us stock, it can take weeks. People get so pissed. Hey, everyone? Dr. Oz doesn't call the health food stores in advance to tell them that he's going to mention a product on Tuesday.

Yes! We had the same shiitake with every book that Oprah recommended! And then, people didn't know the name of the book. They just said "but there was some doctor/celebrity/psychic on Oprah yesterday talking about it" and we were expected to know what it was. Because Oprah.

To make matters worse, the shows being broadcast here were generally several months behind the ones broadcast in the US, so we couldn't even check her website to see who her guest had been.

Luckily, by the time the fifth person asked for it, we knew what it was and that we'd have to order a stack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 79  Next