| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1942 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 78  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:27 am 
BAD PASS

YES. What is with this phenomenon?

You called an office phone at 10:15pm and you're mad that you "can't get ahold of anyone"??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:03 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

It's so weird - we use an electronic fax program that just emails all the faxes to everyone. I often wake up to faxes sent at 1 or 2 in the morning... from BANKS! So confusing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:10 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

jordanpattern wrote:
It's so weird - we use an electronic fax program that just emails all the faxes to everyone. I often wake up to faxes sent at 1 or 2 in the morning... from BANKS! So confusing.

Well, banks do have night shifts. Most of the administrative/processing part of the previous business day's transactions are done at night, not to overload systems in the daytime. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:24 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Hollie wrote:

You called an office phone at 10:15pm and you're mad that you "can't get ahold of anyone"??

I get the people who've left a voicemail and then three subsequent hang-up voicemails, and sent me two contact us forms via the website, and then calls at 9am as soon as I've taken the phones off night mode to ask if the attorney has had a chance to look at their stuff yet. Considering our attorneys aren't robots... no. Give someone a chance to respond!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:36 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am not sure what is going on. Last week we started getting a number of calls from correctional facilities outside of the state. Which is very odd as bossman is only licensed to practice here. To make it a bit more strange, not a one of the calls is from the same person or correctional facility.
One a day for the last week, week and a half. I can't figure out any more as office policy is for me to not take collect calls unless they are on the must speak to list.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:57 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

kfad wrote:
I am not sure what is going on. Last week we started getting a number of calls from correctional facilities outside of the state. Which is very odd as bossman is only licensed to practice here. To make it a bit more strange, not a one of the calls is from the same person or correctional facility.
One a day for the last week, week and a half. I can't figure out any more as office policy is for me to not take collect calls unless they are on the must speak to list.

Sounds like maybe your office name/number got erroneously passed around as the people to call! I think it's similar to what's happening with me- "hey, write to Erika Soyf*cker, she can help you with your appeal!" No. No, I cannot. Unfortunately, the nature of prison is that these kinds of miscommunications can flourish and thrive due to inmates' restricted contact with the outside world; and to boot so many of them are desperate enough to have something, anything, happen with their case that they'll be very dogged in pursuing it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:23 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hollie wrote:

This is basically my life. I'm the person who gets whined at because professionals have lives. And boy do people whine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

so i translate a lot of medical journal articles. last week i get asked to check someone else's translation, because the person translating it into Spanish (who uses the English translation as a base) sent it back as "incomprehensible". At first glance it was not bad, just had some rather glaring inconsistencies. The author said he had "asked a friend to translate it" and said maybe there might be some mistakes. Whatever, it's not the first time someone asked their kid or Dr Google to translate their journal submission.

Then doing the research for the final cleanup today, I found that the translation had copied, word for word, most of another paper. Which was cited in the references but then cut out afterward (I can see the author's track changes, and he cut it). All they did was substitute their data and put in an extra paragraph in the conclusion about their different findings.
Luckily this is through an agency, and is the project manager's pickle to deal with, because I would be in knots about what to do if it were my direct client.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:15 am 
BAD PASS

So many weekend voicemails from people whose questions were regarding that day. Do you think a voicemail you left on an office phone is going to be returned on Saturday afternoon?

(And... should I call them back and explain why they didn't get a call back in time?)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:16 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

phone, magical time machine.....

today i am translating fiction. young adult fiction, involving alien sex. ^eyebrow^

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:34 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Hollie wrote:
(And... should I call them back and explain why they didn't get a call back in time?)

I would call and say "I'm sorry about that, but our office is closed on weekends, is there anything I could help you out with now?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

Hollie wrote:
So many weekend voicemails from people whose questions were regarding that day. Do you think a voicemail you left on an office phone is going to be returned on Saturday afternoon?

I had 18 messages like that this morning, even though the recorded greeting clearly states our opening times and days

π

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:32 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Hollie wrote:

Not unless you have nothing else to do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:50 pm 
BAD PASS

I had tons to do! Tons and tons.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

torque wrote:
phone, magical time machine.....

today i am translating fiction. young adult fiction, involving alien sex. ^eyebrow^

...awesome? :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:05 am 
Seagull of the PPK

a day into it, it's incredibly dry and analytical. the only interest we get at all is that the "female is long and slinky". The male might be made of pompoms, because we haven't heard word one about him.
Also, rather disappointing, they couldn't come up with any more creative sex and gender arrangements, but insist on lecturing in the background about how darwinian evolution REQUIRES the continuation of antiquated crepe like this (talk about a turnoff). My hopes were a bit higher!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

WHOOP WHOOP ALERT

aliens "make love". double sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:52 am 
Grandfathered In

I knew it would be hot. But I didn't know it would be that hot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

if by hot you mean "make love" hot. eeeeew. Now we're back to evolutionary explanations of why men must be manly and women must be soft.
[at least it's not written in "dialect"]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Maybe you can translate dinosaur erotica next.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-books-fro ... ic-author/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:10 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

that was REMARKABLE!
also
Quote:
It's kind of like those chapters in Moby-Dick that are all about the minutiae of whaling, except that -- unless I'm misremembering high school English -- Captain Ahab and the white whale don't end up forking each other at the end.

Spoiler: show
how do we know that's not EXACTLY what happened at the end of Moby Dick?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

The crazies must know that it's my last week of work:

A lady was telling me about ticks so tiny you had to flick them off with a pin.

Another lady was asking me about some (invisible) bumps on her neck, and what she should put on them. I got as close as I could without making myself (more) uncomfortable, but couldn't see anything. She was indignant that I saw nothing! There was nothing there.

And then The Sisters came in. The Sisters are notorious at our store (and probably everywhere else they go) for being a veritable tornado of insanity. They're both in their 50's with long dark hair. They whirl in super fast, often right before closing time, ring the bell at the counter immediately if they don't see someone, and start asking a million questions. At the same time. They talk over each other, then get frustrated with each other, they roll their eyes at you about each other. They always buy about 10 pounds of bananas and apples, and every single tube of frozen ground beef we've got in stock. They ask so many questions at once that you can't possibly answer them all, and then when you don't know the answer, they go on and on about how sweet and nice and helpful you are. So you can't hate them. They're not bad people. They're just nuts. But hot damn are they stressful. Tonight, after they checked out (always an ordeal because one of them will remember something halfway through and go to find it, and then not come back for 10 minutes), one of them came back with the ground beef box. On the back it says something like 'Organic Prairie Ground Beef Chub' (yum). She seriously asked me if it was beef, or some kind of prairie dog meat. They buy it every week. I don't even...?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:52 am 
BAD PASS

The owner of my company is awesome and he's the best boss I've ever had. He's also really shy and pretty reclusive. He shies away from the public for the most part. People call wanting to talk to him often, but I always take a message because he's not the kind of person who is comfortable taking random phone calls from people he doesn't know.

A man has called twice today and sent an email via our website basically demanding to talk to him because he wants some advice on whether or not he should rent out a building he owns to a startup brewery. I have no idea why he thinks my boss is the person he needs to talk to, but he is hell bent on it. He basically talked to me like he thought I was trash and was just generally impolite.

Aside from not understanding why he thinks my boss, the owner of a very successful brewery that has never rented space in a building, to ask him if he thinks it would be profitable for him to let a brewery rent space in his building, is the one he should talk to... I also don't understand his sense of entitlement. This man apparently feels it's his right to question my boss. But it is 100% NOT his thing.

I sent the guy's info to my boss's new assistant just to cover my own asparagus, but there's no way he's going to get a call back from him. I expect another call wherein he accuses me of not giving him the message soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:59 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Edited for accuracy.

torque wrote:

Spoiler: show
how do we know that's not EXACTLY what happened at the end of Moby's Dick?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:09 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Hollie wrote:
A man has called twice today and sent an email via our website basically demanding to talk to him because he wants some advice on whether or not he should rent out a building he owns to a startup brewery. I have no idea why he thinks my boss is the person he needs to talk to, but he is hell bent on it. He basically talked to me like he thought I was trash and was just generally impolite.

This is seriously a sub-category of customer/client, and it's baffling how often it happens. I suppose there is a reasonable chance that their bullying just overwhelms a good number of people and they just end up getting what they want. But certainly in every job I've ever worked, if you want to talk to the HBiC, you need to treat the secretary/assistant like a human being first.

I remember back when I was an executive assistant to the head of a certain organization, I took the rudest phone call ever from someone who was clearly pretending to be very close with my boss. The dead giveaway was that she used my boss' first name only, when everyone who knew her for a minute knew she went by both first and middle names (for example, and not her real name, but just "Mary" as opposed to "Mary Ann"). The caller was so incredibly snide and condescending to me, and I tried to handle it with grace, all the while laughing to myself because this person so clearly thought they were pulling one over on me. When I finally got to the taking-a-message part of the call, I told the caller what I would pass along. "And what is my name?" She sneered, interrupting me. I replied with her first name, which she had given me at the start of the call. "And my last name?" I replied that she hadn't given that to me yet. "So maybe you should ask me for it." She snipped. At that point I'd finally had enough. "You can call back when you've learned some manners." I said, and hung up. Guess she never learned 'em, cause as far as I know she never called back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1942 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 78  Next