| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:51 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

torque wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
torque wrote:
yes, i hear that with my line of work too. "but it's so expensive." yes, well, so are lawyers and plumbers and nobody's surprised about that.

I've seen plenty of surprised people at the law office where I work :)

suprised, or scared shiitake-less? [sorry, you have a point, but i just couldn't help myself considering the circumstances....]

HAWWW! More like "why do you need $15,000? I'm only accused of murdering ten people, stealing ten tons of heroin, and leading the police on a three-county chase! It's a slam dunk case!"*

*slight exaggeration, but still.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Fee wrote:
I don't think people are even necessarily surprised but they know that sometimes complaining about the price will get you stuff cheaper. Works at my job. Which I hate.

Yes, some of the people I know who are really well off will do that, and will then brag about how much they get discounted.

I don't complain, but I will ask people to discount. So with my maternity photos, I called a bunch of different studios and offered them what I could afford to pay, and ended up with an awesome package through someone who became a friend, and I will often ask gyms to waive initiation fees etc, which is practically standard practice.

I did sales for a bit and we were trained to not engage on price, but to talk about the services instead. The idea was that once people start thinking about price they are always going to be unhappy, even if you knock a few dollars off, so its better to have them feel happy about the service they are getting instead of unhappy about what they are spending.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't mind when people are really nice about it and ask and don't make a fuss. If you're a regular and buy lots, I don't mind at all charging a used item a little less. But bisqueing and moaning and never buying anything in the end just makes me wish you'd never come back anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:35 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yeah as a florist, I encounter price related issues all the time for sure, as it's a non-essential item and not exactly cheap. But there's your average "ugh... three dollars per rose?! I could get them way cheaper at Costco" (yeah, you do that then, enjoy your beat-up plastic and elastic band wrapped flowers) and then there's addressing the price in a way that's totally respectful like "you know, I love your stuff so much but I only have $15 to spend, is it possible to get something beautiful for that?" (Hells yeah!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:49 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I was just at my local food co-op and the guy in front of me in line asked the cashier "so, is this the most expensive store in Brighton?". So rude, of course it's more expensive than forking Tesco!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

jojo wrote:
I was just at my local food co-op and the guy in front of me in line asked the cashier "so, is this the most expensive store in Brighton?". So rude, of course it's more expensive than forking Tesco!

Also, did he only just arrive? There are many places in Brighton that ain't cheap!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Someone left two cats in a plastic bin outside my work. No air holes, and the lid had been tied on tight with twine. The cats were okay, but were hot and had vomited inside the bin. They had been left sometime after we closed at 4. Luckily someone goes back at 8 pm to do nightly rounds and found them. I guess calling or coming back when we're open (hours clearly posted on the door) was just too much work for the douche canoe who dumped them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:00 pm 
Chip Strong

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Someone left two cats in a plastic bin outside my work. No air holes, and the lid had been tied on tight with twine. The cats were okay, but were hot and had vomited inside the bin. They had been left sometime after we closed at 4. Luckily someone goes back at 8 pm to do nightly rounds and found them. I guess calling or coming back when we're open (hours clearly posted on the door) was just too much work for the douche canoe who dumped them.

That's so awful! It's so lucky someone found them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:43 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I hate people asking for discounts, especially for services. Pay creative folks what they're worth. I think many people like to say they can't afford something but of course they can (such as the woman getting her dog groomed). So much in the US now is all about getting a deal (groupon! extreme coupons!) that no one stops to think that people in service jobs ought to be making a living wage instead of giving discounts to people who can afford things. I know few people who are good at assessing their own wealth so it's pretty much impossible for someone who has money to think about it in those terms.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

We had a customer complain about an instrument rental. It's $25 per month and they thought it was $25 per YEAR. He was so angry. Really? Clarinets cost almost a grand. Yeesh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I had a client recently noticed want to pay my rate. I told her I'd discount the first time and if she was happy with my service and hired me again then I'd expect full rate. She hired me again at full rate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I did a thing for a few weeks where I cut the price down for new customers, but it didn't really seem like it was getting me any new clients, and in reality, I don't NEED new clients. I just need my current customers to keep a regular grooming schedule, and I'd be set.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I need new pet sitting clients. When I lived in the city full time I did dog walking too and that was the bulk of what I earned. Now I'm only here weekends and holidays so the more people I can get who go away weekends the better. I don't plan to do it all the time but it seemed a good idea at the time and luckily it worked out.

I do offer discounts to cat rescuers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:20 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I am very frustrated by someone who is giving me tons of work to do without giving me details or making sure it needs to be done first. I just spent a good half hour preparing some paperwork that it turns out had already been filed. She is driving me CRAZY.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

To the person who left the ancient stained pillow in our donation bin: Thanks, but no thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:51 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Everyone knows i'm a thrifty bisque who always waits for sales, but I would never bicker over service prices. We took Harley to be groomed in the winter and I tipped the woman $15 for her brush and bath (and Fawkes' haircut) because I knew what a mess she was.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

same here. i have a friend who worked in china for a few years, and she embarrasses me with her newfound skill of haggling. (apparently it's expected there.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:42 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

A long time ago when I used to work in a gas station, people would often complain about the price of beer and tell me that the grocery store across the street sold it cheaper. Like, aren't all convenience stores more expensive that your average grocer? And does the grocery store also sell singles and throw in little paper bag coozies for free? I would often say, "Well then you should go across the street", and they would buy it from me anyways.

People are just weird.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 pm 
WRETCHED

supercarrot wrote:
same here. i have a friend who worked in china for a few years, and she embarrasses me with her newfound skill of haggling. (apparently it's expected there.)

Actually I love visiting countries where haggling is part of the culture, but in the US, obviously it is not. When we went to China, I haggled, but on varying levels. For things people created themselves, I was less likely to haggle more than items which were mass manufactured. My husband also hates haggling so I didn't get to do it as much as I liked. I remember going to Mexico with some friends and one store owner refused to haggle (unusual) but then called my friend a rich american bisque because she didn't want to pay his price (the item wasn't worth the price he was asking if you ask me). She then went to another smaller store and found a similar item marked initially for much cheaper and she didn't haggle for the price.

I've read many commentaries saying that Americans in foreign countries are rude to haggle because we come from a 'richer' country. On the flip side, people wouldn't buy certain things if they didn't haggle.

In the US though, I don't haggle. I think shopping around is fine, to see what people offer and for what prices but in the end, I think sometimes we have messed up expectations at what things should cost vs what is a fair price to pay.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:35 pm 
Semen Strong

I think that some countries have an established tourist area that set prices slightly higher and expect people to haggle. But its a skill that needs to be learned :)

We were in Northern Vietnam in 1997 (during the Asian currency crisis), in an area that was pretty new to tourists, and the vendors set the prices so high, that it was almost funny. We had vendors asking us to pay $5 for a coconut in Danang, and a little boy explained to us that in America people have so much money that they pay $100 for a coca cola. He was running up the street ahead of us, price-fixing, so everyone offered us coconuts at $5 a piece and wouldn't come down in price. We were used to buying them for pennies elsewhere. We didn't buy coconuts there, sadly, being students traveling on a shoestring budget.

When we were in Saigon and more established tourist areas, we were happily overpaying without feeling the pinch because the vendors knew exactly what margin of overcharging wouldn't be noticed.

I am not a fan of haggling, and I hated the weird bodyshaming that went on in Vietnam and Morocco. Every time I tried to buy something to wear, the vendor would tell me that I had to pay more because I was so fat. And that made me feel sad and self conscious. In Morocco, I finally just asked our driver to get me 5 shirts for $15 a piece because I just didn't feel like dealing with feeling unattractive. In Vietnam, I just never bought any clothing, and I wasn't even that heavy then!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:38 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I was just opening up the front door at work, when this hippie dude comes from out of nowhere and says to me, "hey, check it out: Does anyone own life? Like, could you put a copyright on it?"

Guys, I couldn't help it, I had to make fun of him! Using my best Keanu voice I replied, "woah, dude, you just blew my miiiind!" He was like "whatever!" and walked off.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:09 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I was just opening up the front door at work, when this hippie dude comes from out of nowhere and says to me, "hey, check it out: Does anyone own life? Like, could you put a copyright on it?"

Guys, I couldn't help it, I had to make fun of him! Using my best Keanu voice I replied, "woah, dude, you just blew my miiiind!" He was like "whatever!" and walked off.

This is one of the two best stories I've heard lately! I've already shared it. (The other one was my friend who called a crisis hotline today and the guy there wasn't listening to anything she was saying. She was sick at home and had said it a couple times, and he was like "Have you made it to your boyfriend's house yet?" She doesn't have one and told him that and he said "Oh, you're the one who has troubles at work." Then when she asked for advice, he only said "Looks like you've got it all figured out. You're doing a good job." Then when she ended the call, he said "travel safely." Um she was home sick and wasn't going anywhere! She was also crying on the phone, like probably most people who call, so I can't believe this guy works there and doesn't listen to what the callers say--wonder how much damage he has done?! Even though it did happen tonight, she was laughing about it and shared it on Facebook, so it at least made her feel better and gave her a chance to laugh!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:24 am 
Saggy Butt

The other day this very sweet old woman came into the store- she comes in all the time and is a total peach and is barely 4 feet tall. She was talking to the only male coworker in the department while my boss and I were talking about something further down the aisle.

I looked over at him and saw this woman reach up and massage his shoulders and rub down his entire chest, and then stop and just continue to talk to him for five more minutes. He looked soooo shocked and uncomfortable and then had to awkwardly converse with this woman and be polite as our boss and I just stood down the aisle and LAUGHED at him because we are terrible human beings. If we were nice we would have intervened, and we probably should have seeings as we both are technically his boss... but we just laughed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:40 am 
WELFARIST!

We have a company that sets up contracts within our store and they have to stand at a kiosk all day. Since they've been shifting around employees, the one who has been here on the weekends had to work 12 hours on Friday.

Woman: Is there someone here for these [points to the contract kiosk]?
Me: I'm sorry, she's on lunch right now [points to the sign on the kiosk that says when she'll return]. She'll be returning at 4:10.
Woman: Are you serious????
Me: [says nothing]
Woman: Well can't you do it?
Me: I'm sorry, I can't. They're a different company from us.
Woman: So I have to wait a half an hour?! Are you serious???
Me: I'm sorry, she's on her lunch right now.
Woman: But this is ridiculous. I can't believe she's not here and I have to wait!
Me: She's on her lunch...
Woman: Well it's a little late for lunch!

Are you forking serious? Now we're not allowed to take a lunch? Which, btw, is required by labor laws. If you had called and stated you were coming in at x time, she would have tried to be open when you said you were coming but she has to and is allowed lunch and if you contest that, you're a horrible person.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:57 am 
WELFARIST!

Also got a phone call yesterday that went like this:

Caller: Do you have any GTA5 (Grand Theft Auto V) special edition?
Me: I'm sorry, that game doesn't come out until Tuesday (checked with a co-worker while I was on the phone just to make sure).
Caller: I know but I'm checking to see if you have any.
Me: Well no. The game doesn't come out until Tuesday.
Caller: I know but I'm checking to see how much you have in stock.
Me: The game isn't out yet.
Caller: I know but I'm calling to see how many you have in stock.
Me: No, we don't have any because the game isn't out yet.

And I'll put this one in on behalf of my co-worker.

Guy: [points to Curious George movies] Do you watch this shiitake?
Co-worker: ......no.......
Guy: Me neither, I watch that grown up shiitake!
Co-worker: .....okay.....
Guy: Do you have any new movies?
Co-worker: Yeah, we have a whole New Release section. Follow me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 60  Next