| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:04 am 
Semen Strong

I understand that one, because as a customer, I don't know how releases work. I think he thought that stores had them in-stock and were only releasing the game on Tuesday, not that stores were not going to be getting it until Tuesday either.

I have to say that the story of the managers standing by and laughing as a salesperson is being made to feel uncomfortable by a client really made me feel uncomfortable. I'd hope that my boss would come and rescue me, if I were being touched by a client in a way that was clearly making me feel uncomfortable, not stand there and laugh at me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish wrote:
I understand that one, because as a customer, I don't know how releases work. I think he thought that stores had them in-stock and were only releasing the game on Tuesday, not that stores were not going to be getting it until Tuesday either.

I have to say that the story of the managers standing by and laughing as a salesperson is being made to feel uncomfortable by a client really made me feel uncomfortable. I'd hope that my boss would come and rescue me, if I were being touched by a client in a way that was clearly making me feel uncomfortable, not stand there and laugh at me.

Yes me too. I think part of it is that even if it were an older person, if the genders were switched, it would be likely that everyone would see it more clearly as sexual harassment. For me at least that's how i perceived it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:53 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Tofulish wrote:

Yeah, places where I have worked have had things in stock early, but they're put out on the floor the day it's released. I thought every place did it like that.

I get surprised too by things that happen, like how if a notary isn't at the desk when someone needs to get something notarized, they'll get mad at me for not notarizing it instead "Well, why can't you do it?" I'm not a notary? (this is at a reference desk in a library btw). BUT I guess if someone doesn't know what a notary is, then their confusion makes sense. It's like when I use terms like "weeding" with patrons and they have no idea what I'm talking about. Most people don't know what we know at our jobs!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

lillianp wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Yes me too. I think part of it is that even if it were an older person, if the genders were switched, it would be likely that everyone would see it more clearly as sexual harassment. For me at least that's how i perceived it.

I agree with both of you totally. Looking back on it I absolutely should have stepped in. But not having done so, and knowing the employee was feeling more awkward and stunned than anything else. I will qualify by saying he was a thirty year old man, not a teenager and I do know him well enough to know that he was not deeply bothered by it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:47 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Norelle wrote:
He looked soooo shocked and uncomfortable and then had to awkwardly converse with this woman and be polite as our boss and I just stood down the aisle and LAUGHED at him because we are terrible human beings. If we were nice we would have intervened, and we probably should have seeings as we both are technically his boss... but we just laughed.

This is awful. Age and gender are no justification for your lack of action. Jesus h. on a motherforking raft.
And we wonder why people think it's ok to do shiitake like this all the goddamn time.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:43 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Norelle wrote:
The other day this very sweet old woman came into the store- she comes in all the time and is a total peach and is barely 4 feet tall. She was talking to the only male coworker in the department while my boss and I were talking about something further down the aisle.

I looked over at him and saw this woman reach up and massage his shoulders and rub down his entire chest, and then stop and just continue to talk to him for five more minutes. He looked soooo shocked and uncomfortable and then had to awkwardly converse with this woman and be polite as our boss and I just stood down the aisle and LAUGHED at him because we are terrible human beings. If we were nice we would have intervened, and we probably should have seeings as we both are technically his boss... but we just laughed.

Would you find it so amusing if the genders were reversed? Sorry, but I think this is just awful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:12 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Mr. Shankly wrote:

Guy: [points to Curious George movies] Do you watch this shiitake?
Co-worker: ......no.......
Guy: Me neither, I watch that grown up shiitake!
Co-worker: .....okay.....
Guy: Do you have any new movies?
Co-worker: Yeah, we have a whole New Release section. Follow me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:29 pm 

My SO did some work for a client of mine. She is my biggest client. She hasn't asked how much she owes him and I'm trying to figure out how to do it. It was a casual arrangement with no set price. I know she'll have no problem paying what he's charging her but how do I bring it up? I usually send her a text message at the end of the week with how much she owes me and leave receipts in a designated location. I was thinking I'd text her $x for letting and $y for my SO. Would that be okay? Obviously it's really casual in general.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:31 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Yikes, I had a similar situation at work recently. Since yours sounds pretty casual and amiable, I'd say your text message plan sounds good!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:09 pm 

That's what I ended up doing and it was fine. Sometimes I worry about silly stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:01 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I am considering freelancing full-time. Client wants me to do some very intensive work on her project, with bonus bells and whistles. I offer her some advice that will reduce her costs greatly and make life easier. But of course, she doesn't want to take that advice and consequently, my fees are too high.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:44 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Actual phone conversation I just had:

Caller: "the army came and searched my house without a search warrant and I want to know if they had jurisdiction to do that."
Me: "well, there are no attorneys in at the moment and I cannot answer your question because I'm not an attorney, but I can take down some information to pass along when one comes in."
Caller: "okay."
Me: "Okay... so if they didn't leave a search warrant behind, how do you know the army searched your house?"
Caller: "I was home, i invited them in"
Me: "Okay, so they didn't have a search warrant, but you let them in and allowed them to search your place. Did they say what they were looking for?"
Caller: "No, they just said they needed to search my house, so I let them in"
Me: "...and how did you know they were Army?"
Caller: "They were wearing camo fatigues"
Me: "...and did they identify themselves as US Army, or did they have identification on their fatigues...?"
Caller: "No."
Me: "So you don't know for sure that it was the Army."
Caller: "I guess not, no."
Me: "So they showed up at your door without a search warrant, did not identify themselves or what they were looking for, and you invited them in."
Caller: "Yes, and I offered them bananas and poundcake."
Me: "...okay, I'll see if a lawyer can call you."

Maybe I'm just a skeptical dubious mother hubbard by nature, but if some rando dudes in fatigues showed up at my door without a search warrant or even proper identification* I would certainly not invite them in and offer them poundcake. Does nobody listen to gangsta rap? The popo are not to be trusted!

*cause it's not like anybody could just buy fatigues somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:42 pm 
Grandfathered In

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

*cause it's not like anybody could just buy fatigues somewhere

Not official fatigues, no.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 am 
Bathes in Braggs

That is so weird and funny Erica, though I can't help feeling sorry for the poor guy, having his house searched and all his snacks eaten, and now the poor guy is wondering who the heck was it?

Years ago I temped as a receptionist for a while at a criminal law firm. What an eye-opener! People calling and walking in with wild stories, beefy tough guys showing up with big wads of cash, and the lawyer who took the roughest cases was almost as scary as his clients.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:58 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Arisaig wrote:
Years ago I temped as a receptionist for a while at a criminal law firm. What an eye-opener! People calling and walking in with wild stories, beefy tough guys showing up with big wads of cash, and the lawyer who took the roughest cases was almost as scary as his clients.

I absolutely love my job for this reason- well that, and the fact that the people I work with are wonderful, ethical people who treat me with respect and friendship- there is always something interesting going on.

This morning I'm super excited because one of the attorneys did an interview for a true crime TV show about one of his former clients, a woman who shot and killed her young son's molester in open court. It just so happens this is one of my absolutely favorite corny true crime tv shows (Deadly Women on Investigation Discovery), so I am tickled pink!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:04 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Arisaig wrote:
That is so weird and funny Erica, though I can't help feeling sorry for the poor guy, having his house searched and all his snacks eaten, and now the poor guy is wondering who the heck was it?

I've lost a lot of sympathy for people like this- maybe it's kind of shitty of me, but I also feel like if you're going to keep medicine in your house that is illegal on a federal level, and illegal statewide outside of medical use, and just plain illegal in the eyes of any under-trained or vendetta-driven law enforcement officer, you need to be reasonably cautious and self-educated about your rights and responsibilities. Throwing the door open to any rando that shows up calling themselves law enforcement, assuming you're iron-clad because you've got "a doctor's note," all I can say is that such a level of naivete is a privilege.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:03 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm going to talk my husband into dressing up in camouflage with me and see what goodies we can get from our neighbours....wait is this a new form of trick or treat?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:

Sorry, just now saw this. This is true some of the time. For example, when it came to the iphone 5s and 5c, we had no idea when we would get a shipment of them in or how many would be sent to us. In fact, we didn't even get any on the release date but only weeks after. Most of the time we do get video games before their release date (not always true for certain games) but I would never be able to give them a count of our stock. We do pre-orders at our store and pre-orders are counted with the regular inventory so while it may say we have 50 in-stock and on our website it will say "in-stock," all 50 could be pre-orders which means we actually have a stock of 0 to sell. Also, if I'm not allowed to sell something yet, I can't tell someone we have it. They can call the day of and I can give them an approximate amount of our inventory but until then I can't give them a number. People get angry if you tell them you have X of something but you can't sell it to them...very angry.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We had someone drop of a bag of donations recently. It consisted of a bunch of filthy, worn out dog collars, a completely rusted choke chain, two leashes that had been chewed up (seriously just the leash clips with a few inches of leash still attached, and jagged, chewed off ends), and a couple of ancient dog bowls. Also in the bag was a note with the donor's contact info that said "Please send me a receipt for tax purposes for the full value of these items." Um, okay, so that would be zero dollars?

A guy today came in wanting to adopt a dog. He said he "wasn't picky at all" about the type of dog he wanted. When we said we only have pit bull mixes right now, he said, "No, I would never adopt a pit bull! I want a labrador. A male. About 60 lbs. And between the ages of 1 and 4 years old. And it has to be fully trained." Right, not picky at all...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:54 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Arisaig wrote:

I've lost a lot of sympathy for people like this- maybe it's kind of shitty of me, but I also feel like if you're going to keep medicine in your house that is illegal on a federal level, and illegal statewide outside of medical use, and just plain illegal in the eyes of any under-trained or vendetta-driven law enforcement officer, you need to be reasonably cautious and self-educated about your rights and responsibilities. Throwing the door open to any rando that shows up calling themselves law enforcement, assuming you're iron-clad because you've got "a doctor's note," all I can say is that such a level of naivete is a privilege.

Ah, you didn't mention that in your original story, but he probably didn't either.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:41 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

A customer (who really annoys me generally) came into the food co-op the other day and filled a plastic bag full of tiny holes (why she chose that bag, I do not know) with some dried dill, then smelled it and decided she didn't want it because it "didn't smell fresh".
It's forking dried, of course it doesn't smell fresh! But also, we'd gotten that dill in from the supplier about two days before, and I know for a fact that it smelled a hell of a lot fresher than any of the other herbs on shelf.

It's not really a big deal, but just generally pretty ridiculous... I don't care that she decided she didn't want the dill, but to complain that a dried herb doesn't smell fresh enough? When it's fresher than anything else on the shelf? Weird.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:28 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

People who call and leave six missed calls on our voicemail system *and* send an automated email through the website, all before 9am. Do you think our office is staffed by a bunch of workaholic robots!? We are closed! Someone will get back to you, chill the eff out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:50 am 
Saggy Butt

Saw this today and thought of this thread. This one's for Creep in particular, but also for anyone whose customers ignorantly question the prices of their services:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

parkerk wrote:
Saw this today and thought of this thread. This one's for Creep in particular, but also for anyone whose customers ignorantly question the prices of their services:

I've seen a few versions of this. I love it! I'd put it up at work if I didn't feel like it would offend some of my more "sensitive" clients.

I had a customer be a huge crasshole to me yesterday. I've never really had anyone be such a jerk to my face. Usually people are relatively respectful, even if they're complaining, but this dude sucked. He and his elderly mother dropped off her dog. While I was talking to her about the haircut, he was filling out the paperwork (first time client). The dog was a little matted, and we discussed the fact that he'd have to get a shorter haircut. The tail was a solid matt, which she actually brought up, and I told her it would have to be short as well. So the dog ended up with a pretty cute haircut in the end, but the tail had to be cut down to the same length as the rest of the body (3/8", not shaved).

The guy picked up the dog, and I usually come out to make sure everything is okay, and in this case, to let him know that the dog had fleas and I'd gone ahead and given them a (free) flea bath this time. It usually costs extra. Immediately, he's like "You cut the tail off. She's not going to like that." I say "Yeah, it was really matted. We talked about it with her when you dropped off..." He interrupts with "But I didn't know you were going to take all of it. You didn't have to take all of it." I start to try to explain why I DID have to take the amount I did (which wasn't ALL of it), and he interrupts me mid-sentence with "I'm not going to argue about it" and turns around. So I just say "Okay" and go back to the groom room. Apparently after I left, he took back the tip he'd already given before seeing the dog and said "I can't believe she'd do that. We won't be back."

I never do a shave down or something abnormal like cutting tails or ears short because of matts without informing the owner first. I'll even call and wait for a return call before proceeding, making my day longer and more stressful, just to avoid having situations like this happen. I don't see how his inability to understand WORDS THAT CAME OUT OF MY MOUTH should be my problem, but apparently it was.

/rant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:54 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

we have clients like that at the shop sometimes, since we ALWAYS call and get approval before doing any job, people will approve work and then arrive at the shop and say "i can't believe you did that, I'm not paying for that." After $$$ in parts and labor have already been installed in the car. We have a no-pay-no-leave-the-shop policy and we had a car on the patio for A YEAR because the douchebag wouldn't pay for it (little kid style breath-holding "i'm not paying!" Mr T is pretty good at that too though, and so the car just sat there.). After a year we had the DMV track who actually owned the title and called the bank that held the loan and asked them to come and get it, called the client to let him know. he came the next day before the tow truck and paid it all in cash.
the good thing is that hopefully you will never see that person again. sounds like they probably wouldn't be repeat customers (mats and fleas and first cut?) no matter how good a job you did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 79  Next