| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:52 am 
Seagull of the PPK

oh my god. i've got another one of these client/colleagues (i am editing colleagues' work, this is a new person that i've never met in person) who, upon learning that i am not in My Fair City at the moment, has gotten her head completely befuddled into thinking she must pay me in dollars because I am a damn foreigner.
It would be funny except for this is the third email she has sent insisting that THE QUOTE I SENT HER was in dollars and I must be wrong! Should I note that charging her in dollars would mean that she will pay 2.4 times what she should?? And she is still insistent.
Cherry on the cake- when I insist that she is mistaken, spelled it out so the parakeet could figure it out, everything but using puppets to explain, she says she will give me 2.65 instead of 2.4 as the exchange rate. What the hell is with these people!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:58 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:
oh my god. i've got another one of these client/colleagues (i am editing colleagues' work, this is a new person that i've never met in person) who, upon learning that i am not in My Fair City at the moment, has gotten her head completely befuddled into thinking she must pay me in dollars because I am a damn foreigner.
It would be funny except for this is the third email she has sent insisting that THE QUOTE I SENT HER was in dollars and I must be wrong! Should I note that charging her in dollars would mean that she will pay 2.4 times what she should?? And she is still insistent.
Cherry on the cake- when I insist that she is mistaken, spelled it out so the parakeet could figure it out, everything but using puppets to explain, she says she will give me 2.65 instead of 2.4 as the exchange rate. What the hell is with these people!!!

What the hell with you! Let her pay you more, LOL!

Kidding mostly. I admire your ethics!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:14 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Ha, I can't. I can't or i'd make myself crazy. Also, when you're the only person with such qualms it is a great selling point because it's pretty rare (my husband and I both gain clients 4 life from things like this).

Translators in my neck of the woods often have admin and financial phobias/manias (myself included) and I bet she's tying herself in knots just thinking about it. But like, seriously, it isn't that hard. And I have worked with her partner before, and with the two of them as a group before. i guess she's contacting her partner (who has always made the payment before) and hopefully she will straighten it out.

Update: that's exactly what she did. but she got the message, and sent the payment in the correct amount. hehe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:12 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Good! And I'm glad there are good people like you. I'd be the same if I were in business just because I would torture myself if I wasn't. I want you to have lots of money though!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:50 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ooh you are very kind. from your mouth to god's ear, as they say....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I always am honest with my clients too. Besides being the right thing to do, as torque says, it earns customer loyalty which is worth so much.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:00 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I love when someone comes in without an appointment and gets all huffy when the attorney won't see them. Because you wouldn't be pissed at all if they dropped everything they were working on in your case to help a walk-in, right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:27 am 
ugh

A client addressed me by my last name only in an email yesterday. He has met me several times and my last name does not sound like a first name. So weird!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:02 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

That reminds me of a problem that comes up at my work (public library). We're not a research library, and the reference desk can get crazy busy. Most everything is ready-reference type questions, but sometimes we'll get research questions where the person isn't looking for where to find an answer, but wants you to find the answer. Well, if I have tons of patrons at the desk and more walking up every minute, and every phone line is on hold, I will not be able to answer your question. These types of questions are always over the phone for some reason. When I kindly ask for a phone number and name, so that I can look for the answer later and get back to the person, people get PISSED and refuse to do so. Also, a lot of those calls are from out of state for some reason. All I can figure is that they used to live here, but then they moved and our phone number is the only library number they know? It's so bizarre.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

So now I work at a wine store and we have a tasting booth set up all the time to sample a couple products. We have a number of people who come by regularly and just have samples and never purchase anything - which isn't a big deal. But there is one gentleman in particular who fancies himself quite a wine authority and comes to sample and tries to quiz us on what we have to offer that day.

The problem I have with him is that when he tries to quiz me, he words things in a way that I don't quite understand at first. And then he acts like I'm a total dunce when I ask for clarification. I've told him in the past that I'm not there to be quizzed, but when he came in yesterday I was in a good mood and figured I'd play his game since he enjoys it so much. But of course just as he asked me a question the store got loud and I couldn't hear him, and when I asked him to repeat his question he rolled his eyes exaggeratedly and decided to spell it out for me. I answered his question (yes, the blend is all Shiraz) and told him he didn't need to roll his eyes and make a face just because I couldn't hear him. As usual, that shut him up.

I wouldn't normally call out a customer that way, but since he never actually buys anything and comes just to give us a hard time, I'll give myself a pass.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I work in a pub as a cook. Most of the time, our daily specials are served with salad and fries. Today however, I made lasagna (cashew-based bechamel sauce, fork yeah.) which I served with an elaborate salad. Then someone came walking into the kitchen. "Yeah hi. Ehm. There were no fries with my lasagna." I was like: "Yes?" She: "Have you forgotten them?" Me: "Eh. It's lasagna. Therefore it doesn't come with fries. Also, it's filling and dough-y enough by itself." She was obviously upset, so I gave her the fries anyway, but who orders lasagna and expects it to come with fries, just because other daily specials do? Who wants fries with their lasagna to begin with?

Also, I hate the fact that I work in an open kitchen so people can walk in and bother me with a zillion things. Some of them nice, some of them compliments, some of them complaints or questions. But they always come in at the most inconvenient of times and expect my full attention. And sometimes they just stare at me and treat me like TV which is equally annoying.

Yeah. Being a cook is great, except for the people you cook for, I guess. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:21 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I would never expect lasagna to come with fries! Though if most other specials do and everything she's ever ordered has, then I guess it's not too weird.

People get 1 hour sessions on our computers and the computer gives you 3 warnings about your time expiring. Well, unfortunately, lots of people do work until the very end and then they lose everything, because the session ends and all of their information/browsing history/and everything else gets deleted. Now this is actually a GOOD thing, because the next person to use the computer won't see anything personal of yours. Well, we STILL get complaints about it, and people always want us to pull up whatever they were looking at or working on and we can't. See, it's ALSO a good thing that we can't see what you're doing on the computer.

I had one person argue with me and tell me that even when you put something in the recycle bin and delete it, it can still be retrieved and that EVERYTHING ever done on the computer can be. OK, well you know what, someone else is on that computer now and there is no way I have that kind of capability to get you whatever you didn't want to save while you were working. Our computers are missing a lot of capabilities, so there's no way to even access the recycle bin if you delete something, and the start menu is completely disabled too. Plus, no software can be installed on the computers. People don't get that this is a good thing though. I guess I'm still blown away by the comment about everything being retrievable. That could be, but how many people can do that, and why would I be able to do that for you--I work at a busy reference desk!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My tenants are crassholes. forking crassholes. They continually set off the alarm and then flat out lie to me about it. The police are dispatched when the alarm goes off and if it a false alarm there's a fine that's is accrued and then they argue with me about it. If they set off the alarm all they have to do is call/text me and i can cancel the dispatch, it makes me want to tear my hair out!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

bastah wrote:
People get 1 hour sessions on our computers and the computer gives you 3 warnings about your time expiring. Well, unfortunately, lots of people do work until the very end and then they lose everything, because the session ends and all of their information/browsing history/and everything else gets deleted. Now this is actually a GOOD thing, because the next person to use the computer won't see anything personal of yours. Well, we STILL get complaints about it, and people always want us to pull up whatever they were looking at or working on and we can't. See, it's ALSO a good thing that we can't see what you're doing on the computer.

I had one person argue with me and tell me that even when you put something in the recycle bin and delete it, it can still be retrieved and that EVERYTHING ever done on the computer can be. OK, well you know what, someone else is on that computer now and there is no way I have that kind of capability to get you whatever you didn't want to save while you were working. Our computers are missing a lot of capabilities, so there's no way to even access the recycle bin if you delete something, and the start menu is completely disabled too. Plus, no software can be installed on the computers. People don't get that this is a good thing though. I guess I'm still blown away by the comment about everything being retrievable. That could be, but how many people can do that, and why would I be able to do that for you--I work at a busy reference desk!

I legitimately think Dick Wolf is to blame for this problem of yours, because the characters on Law & Order are constantly saying "ahhh, but nothing on a computer can ever really be deleted! let me just hit this button and bring everything back!!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:04 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Hey, you know what busy receptionists love? Especially when it's early/late/lunch time and they're the only one on the phones? When you decide ten seconds on hold is way too long and hang up to call back again. Cause yeah, being persistent and interrupting the caller ahead of you yet again is going to get me to take care of you quicker.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:40 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

OMG another one already this morning. A woman wants to sue Trader Joe's because she was apparently accused of shoplifting hummus. Keep in mind she was not arrested and no theft charges have been filed. The only attorney we have on staff who handles lawsuits (as opposed to criminal defense) has clients who were brutalized by law enforcement to the point of permanent disability. But the indignity of the accusation of being a chickpea bandit is far worse than that, I suppose.

And they say Americans are too litigious. Bah!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:14 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Caller: Do you guys do pro bono work?
Me: Well that depends. He may take you on as a pro-bono client after he meets with you. But he won't without meeting you first. So I can make you an appointment for a consult. Consults are $35 for a half hour
Caller: If I had $35 I wouldn't need a lawyer?

Then they hung up. But I really do wonder what that meant.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:04 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

kfad wrote:
Caller: Do you guys do pro bono work?
Me: Well that depends. He may take you on as a pro-bono client after he meets with you. But he won't without meeting you first. So I can make you an appointment for a consult. Consults are $35 for a half hour
Caller: If I had $35 I wouldn't need a lawyer?

Then they hung up. But I really do wonder what that meant.

AMAZING. If you snag a pro bono lawyer for only the cost of a $35 consultation, you are a lucky person indeed.

My amazing stories just keep coming, and it's only just hit noon here. TGIF?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:27 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Well, you really have to wow bossman to get him to do it. But yeah, any $35 consult is a deal. I think they think that since he is one of the court appointed defense attorneys that he does everything for free. Or they just don't think. Whatever.

Anyway... keep sharing the stories because I love them!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:05 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

so, this kind of sad wet-dog-lookin lady came in and wanted to talk to a lawyer who isn't here, and asked if she could sit in our lobby for a while, so I said yes.

Now she has her shoes off and she appears to be doing some sort of yoga and/or writhing all over our couches. I'm wondering at which point I draw the line. She's kind of amusing me right now and aside from a thankfully brief period of humming a little ditty to herself, she isn't bugging me, so I might let her writhe away the rest of this rainy afternoon.

ETA: She's blissed out with her eyes closed and I want to make a Vine of her on my phone so bad, you guys, so bad. But that would be pretty unprofessional.

Last edited by Erika Soyf*cker on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:09 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i hope this isn't going to turn into another one of those stories that ends in poop on the floor!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:10 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

torque wrote:
i hope this isn't going to turn into another one of those stories that ends in poop on the floor!

You know, the sad part is, given my office and the types of folks it sometimes attracts, it very well could.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erika, I can't believe the amount of craziness you deal with on a daily basis. It sounds like a sitcom. A hilarious hilarious sitcom. And I am amazed by your amount of restraint - I wouldn't be able to keep myself from laughing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:22 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

You guys, this is amazing. It's like a free modern dance performance. I wish you could all see it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh man. You guys need a live cam! Like those websites where you can follow kittens growing up on a live cam!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 70  Next