| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 68  Next
 Post subject: Re: Very Special Customers/Clients
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It seems like after every shift I go home to tell T who gets the Customer of the Day Award because people are always telling me about their medicals problems in detail (so many details…) because we sell supplements and apparently they think I'm a doctor because I work there or something, but they're all generally harmless and don't make me angry or anything. BUT last night a lady truly ticked me off.

She was looking at the bath and body products, telling me about how she's new to 'this whole thing' and was asking me about parabens and sulfates and aluminum and all that jazz. I just got done telling her about our deodorants and how switching from an antiperspirant can be a bit…frustrating or whatever at first. She pauses, looking at the back of a product, and then just launches into this: 'And what about animal testing? I mean, I think humans are above animals, so I don't care about that! If they're not testing it on animals, who are they testing it on? Certainly not humans! And if they're not testing things, then how do we know they're safe or if they even work?' So…yeah. I tried my damnedest not to pull a face or an attitude and just said something about how they can test on humans and that they're safe and how everyone reacts differently to things anyway, and that animals don't react the same way to things as humans do anyway, so some companies prefer not to make animals suffer for our benefit. In the most neutral tone that I could manage. And then I tried super hard to just ignore her for the rest of her time in the store.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Not to mention that the European Union found it safe to make it ILLEGAL to test cosmetics on animals, even though the EU generally has stricter rules about safety in regards to chemicals and cosmetics than any other place in the world.

You guys make me happy every day that I don't have to deal with clients! (But some of these stories are really really awesome)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:06 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've had mostly awesome customers since starting my new job, but today I had this conversation:

Customer: I'm looking for this book.
Me (checking all of our suppliers): Hmmm... it looks like it's currently unavailable.
Him: How is that possible?
Me: It seems to be in reprint.
Him: No, that's impossible. It just came out last year.
Me: Yeah, that happens sometimes. A lot of times there's a gap between when they stop printing the hardcover and publication of the paperback. Sorry about that.
Him (angrily): Ridiculous! (To his wife) Can you believe this?
Walks away angrily without thanking me for my help.

Dude, I'm not responsible for the publication schedule of books. I just sell the ones we can get.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:14 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Guy comes in, asks me a question, as soon as I open my mouth to answer, his cell phone rings and he picks up and just starts talking.

Okay, then. Go fork yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Guy comes in, asks me a question, as soon as I open my mouth to answer, his cell phone rings and he picks up and just starts talking.

I have no idea why people think this is acceptable behavior.

I have a regular customer who will walk in, drop his dog's leash, and leave, all while on the phone, and then ask for something to be done differently after the fact. Like, if you'd just put down your forking phone for 5 seconds to talk to me before you walk out of the building, you'd already have what you want and wouldn't be disrupting my day to "fix" it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:02 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

creep wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

I have no idea why people think this is acceptable behavior.

I have a regular customer who will walk in, drop his dog's leash, and leave, all while on the phone, and then ask for something to be done differently after the fact. Like, if you'd just put down your forking phone for 5 seconds to talk to me before you walk out of the building, you'd already have what you want and wouldn't be disrupting my day to "fix" it.

Earlier today I also talked to someone on the phone who kept asking me questions and then only letting me get three or four words out before talking over me again. Why??? Why do you ask if you don't care about the answer?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Then there are the folks who come in talking away on their phone, get up to the desk, and wait a few seconds before telling the person to hang on or ending the conversation. Like, if you're going to be "polite" enough to get off your phone, couldn't you just do it before you come in? It's like they purposefully try to show off how important they are. DOUCHES

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:01 pm 
Grandfathered In

Well, it's not like everyone has a cellular phone. They must be high-powered execs or something. Wheeler-dealers at the very least.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:33 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Two days in a row of customers being more ridiculous than usual! Yesterday this rich looking old lady was asking me about fish oil (blargh) and was looking at one labelled 'EcoSmart', and asked what that meant. I told her it was because the calamari used for it (again, just…I wish I didn't have to sell this stuff, but alas) was sustainably harvested, so it was better for the environment. 'Oh! Well, the environment. I don't care about that! The environment was here long before we were and it'll be here long after we're gone!' I said I hoped she was right and walked away. Then I was back in that aisle doing something else and she walked up to me and said, 'Listen. I know it sounds like I'm being hard on the environment, but…' At this point I stopped listening and just stared past her head for awhile, but then I heard this bit: 'And if human beings ceased to exist, the environment would take back over and be just fine within ten years!' I love that her whole argument was based on the fact that the environment is really only fine if we're not here to fork it up. I said something like maybe that's what needs to happen, we should all just cease to exist! (Jokingly.) And then she was all, 'Well, the way we're going, it's bound to happen eventually!' Like…what even is your point, lady?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:51 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

she's right though. environmentalism is entirely for our benefit. once we're gone, earth will be able to heal herself. (except maybe for plastics.) even radiation has a halflife and will tun into other things eventually. not 10 years, mind you. but eventually. (and surely it'd help in developing new species)

global warming? ice caps melting? no problem for her. just us. (and the other animals on earth, of course)

all that doesn't keep me from doing my best for the environment, but that's because i'm trying to extend the inevitable, and at least try to help make my own elder years not too horrific.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:12 am 
Impressive boner

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Earlier today I also talked to someone on the phone who kept asking me questions and then only letting me get three or four words out before talking over me again. Why??? Why do you ask if you don't care about the answer?

It happens way too often. One of my biggest gripes about working a telephone job (besides being used as a free counselor, shouted/sworn at and generally abused) is being spoken over. It's a power thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:22 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

supercarrot wrote:
she's right though. environmentalism is entirely for our benefit. once we're gone, earth will be able to heal herself. (except maybe for plastics.) even radiation has a halflife and will tun into other things eventually. not 10 years, mind you. but eventually. (and surely it'd help in developing new species)

global warming? ice caps melting? no problem for her. just us. (and the other animals on earth, of course)

all that doesn't keep me from doing my best for the environment, but that's because i'm trying to extend the inevitable, and at least try to help make my own elder years not too horrific.

I know she's right, but yeah, I feel like we should make an effort. It was as if she didn't care how awful it would have to get before we blipped out and then the environment took back over. Like one day we're just going to cease to exist while it's all still hunky dory. Oh, and that none of it is our fault. Carbon footprint? Bah!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:51 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i do find it suspect that a woman with such an advanced opinion of environmentalism would have asked you what ecosmart meant. *side-eye* sounds to me she just wanted to spread her gospel. (and she was old already, so fork all other people who have to navigate her minefield, amirite?)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:18 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

The client in right now... sigh. The smell of her booze is making me a bit queasy.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:55 am 
Lime and a Coconut

kfad wrote:
The client in right now... sigh. The smell of her booze is making me a bit queasy.

Woah! High-functioning alcoholic, eh? We've had one a few of those. It's always a nice surprise when they manage to find their way to sobriety and reveal themselves to actually be pleasant people to deal with!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:29 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
kfad wrote:

Woah! High-functioning alcoholic, eh? We've had one a few of those. It's always a nice surprise when they manage to find their way to sobriety and reveal themselves to actually be pleasant people to deal with!

I think she would be really sweet if she were to find sobriety. She was very nice, just very drunk.

Much nicer than the one that comes in demanding to talk to the investigator (who does not work in our office) every day. He has her number.

A lawyers office is fun. No one could ever call it boring.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Maybe I posted this last time it happened, so sorry in advance if I did, but I have a customer whose dogs get groomed every 3 months or so (not enough!), but frequently enough that I remember them. The customer asks my name and introduces herself to me every single time she comes in. I remember you! I mean, I might not remember your first name off the top of my head, but I know your dogs and your face and I have a record of your name on your dog's card, soooooo...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
Maybe I posted this last time it happened, so sorry in advance if I did, but I have a customer whose dogs get groomed every 3 months or so (not enough!), but frequently enough that I remember them. The customer asks my name and introduces herself to me every single time she comes in. I remember you! I mean, I might not remember your first name off the top of my head, but I know your dogs and your face and I have a record of your name on your dog's card, soooooo...

A couple days ago a regular customer asked if I was new. I said, not really, started in June, and she said "oh! I guess you just never work at times that I'm here!"

I have interacted with her and cashed her out numerous times. And chatted at length at least a few of those times. Golly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:46 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

The worst part of my job is the smell of the liquid alcoholics. I close my door most of the time, but for the drunk people I have to leave it open so I don't gag. I don't even know how the smell gets so strong, it's like they've been marinating in whiskey for 30 years right before they come in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:51 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Moon wrote:
creep wrote:

A couple days ago a regular customer asked if I was new. I said, not really, started in June, and she said "oh! I guess you just never work at times that I'm here!"

I have interacted with her and cashed her out numerous times. And chatted at length at least a few of those times. Golly.

Age, health problems, and/or prescription drugs can interfere with memory for some of us. Both of these special customers sound like they're going out of their way to be friendly, so cut them some slack? I try to avoid situations where I need to remember names (like working at check-in tables), but someone recently challenged me point-blank, asking if I could finally remember her name, and of course I couldn't. I pretty much turned it into a positive - I told her of my health issues and she told me she has an eidetic memory, and not being able to forget causes her pain too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

True. I don't have any negative feelings about the situation, just thought it was a little odd/amusing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:22 pm 
Dead by dawn

I think sometimes customers sort of expect to be treated like a number and assume that you don't know them. I would have clients that I'd worked with several times on mortgages call up and say, "This is so-and-so? I'm doing a loan with [my loan officer]? My loan number is..." and I'd be thinking, "Duh, I know who you are. I've done three mortgages for you over the last eight years. I know your address, what your house looks like, where you bank, where you work, how much your loan is, what your credit score is, what your email address is, etc..." because I knew my customers. But they sort of thought bank = impersonal service. Or, they're like me (I just sort of don't expect anyone to remember me, ever.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:22 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

UGH. I am that Very Special Customer. I walk into my vet's office and start talking with her about something totally unrelated to the pets, and simultaneously mention to the tech, J, that I am in for cat food. J asks if it's for Poof! and I say no, it's for one of the boy cats, either Mort or Hack (I don't know whose file it's listed under), but I never tell her my name and continue to converse with the vet. I don't expect the tech to know me, I just totally spaced. And she got the food and all was well, so she must have figured it out, but I still felt like a total jerk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:20 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Oh god that kind of reminds me of how sometimes I'm a Very Special Employee and kind of forget to ask people's names on the phone. We have caller ID on our phones but of course it's hit or miss because of the different phone plans and names out there. But some people you just get used to seeing the name and you know who it is and who they're calling about and they'll talk to me and I'll promise to deliver whatever message and then they'll be like ...."aren't you going to ask who it's for?" And I have to be like "sorry I have no phone skills, I know who you are and who you're calling about and wasn't about to just blow off your message even though that's totally how it sounded!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:24 am 
Semen Strong

Sz, but if the tech knew your cat's name (assuming that Poof! is your cat (also great name!)), I think it would be fair to assume he knew who you are. I don't think that rises to the level of VSC!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 68  Next