| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 27, 2015 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is Your Craziest "I did it for love!" Story?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Okay, so I'm drinking wine and just finished watching a very emotional episode of Grey's Anatomy. No judging here.

But I do want to hear your "I did it for love!" stories. Can be about friends, lovers, family, anyone!

What lengths have you gone to so you could show someone you love them? What are your wonderful, hilarious, sad, amazing, unbelievable anecdotes?

Post subject: Re: What is Your Craziest "I did it for love!" Story?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:11 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I am Canadian and met my English husband when he was visiting Canada back in June of 1982.
We met on June 5th (at Niagara Falls), fell in love / lust / YOU know me! had two weeks together before he returned here to England.
A fortnight later I moved to England where we married on August 26th ... we have had some problems (my health (MS), his partially mad (crazy) family BUT still when he kisses me the first thing I think is 'more!' and so does he! He says no one knows him better than I do ... that only right.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:11 am 
WELFARIST!

What a sweet (and spontaneous!) story teacup. <3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:07 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I met Trevor because I ALMOST saw his band (sludgy, doomy post-hardcore) play in 2001, because I went to the wrong venue for a show and his band was there instead of the one I wanted to see...I left and went to the right show, but the next day found his band's Geocities page and signed their guestbook saying how I almost saw them play and will need to come back to actually see them play because they sounded good.

He was running the band's page at the time, and he went and signed MY personal webpage's guestbook saying he hopes to see me sometime when I actually do see them play. He left his ICQ number in the comment. I looked him up. We talked on ICQ late one night until the morning, and again the next day and the next. We agreed to meet at a local show (Hayden!) in a couple weeks. I went, was so nervous. Looking around, I saw this beautiful blonde boy leaning up against the wall, looking nervously around (for me). We made eye contact. Walked over to each other. Shook hands (both our hands were shaking) and hung out all night. I had this feeling like I knew him for so long already, and just pretty much loved him from first glance. We watched the show in silence, and I put my head on his shoulder as Hayden played this:

15 years later, and we've hardly left each other's side. We never fight. We're mushy and gross as hell. I found my best friend/soul mate/best dude through the most random of circumstances and I'm so, so, so happy for that happy accident as its changed the trajectory of my life in such a profound way that I could not imagine me without him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

PP, I am so glad you shared! You and Trevor as so sweet and I always love hearing about you guys!

teacup! Wow that's amazing!

This thread is happytimes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:52 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't have anything like teacup but I'll say some times things don't work out, some times things do.

I had a long distance relationship with a guy for a year but I wasn't really willing to move and kind of liked just being what it was. I swore off long distance relationships after that.... or so I thought

Anyway, I knew my husband for years prior to us dating. He had just moved from near where I lived at the time (Colorado) back near his family (Virginia). We were friends but became really good friends and one day he told me he wanted to date me (this was after speaking on the phone every day for weeks... I was a bit clueless at the time). So I figured it was worth a shot. After 3 months of long distance dating, we made planes for me to move, he found us an apartment in Maryland, I asked my boss to relocate, he found another job (*ahem* we were working in the same group which is a bit of a no no but he was also bored with his job) and 5 months later, we moved in together. It was the most impulsive thing I have ever done but we have been together for 10 years.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I met my boyfriend online almost five years ago, and we used to spend all day sometimes messaging each other. But for months, even though we really liked each other, we said it was too crazy, too far (he was in Colorado and I in Newfoundland) and too much work. Neither of us wanted a long distance relationship. Then somehow it got to a more angsty "I want to be with you but I have no idea how to make this work" stage to a "okay let's be together" stage. He visited me for a few weeks in 2011, and for the most part we've only been able to see each other once a year because he is in the army and I was in school. Then in December I moved down here! It still feels a little surreal and now that we're together all the time we don't know how the hell we survived four years of long distance. I still can't really believe that I just moved to the US and I'm really far from home. I am definitely an anxious homebody who hates change, so this has been a big adventure for me.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:11 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Shy Mox wrote:
I met my boyfriend online almost five years ago, and we used to spend all day sometimes messaging each other. But for months, even though we really liked each other, we said it was too crazy, too far (he was in Colorado and I in Newfoundland) and too much work. Neither of us wanted a long distance relationship. Then somehow it got to a more angsty "I want to be with you but I have no idea how to make this work" stage to a "okay let's be together" stage. He visited me for a few weeks in 2011, and for the most part we've only been able to see each other once a year because he is in the army and I was in school. Then in December I moved down here! It still feels a little surreal and now that we're together all the time we don't know how the hell we survived four years of long distance. I still can't really believe that I just moved to the US and I'm really far from home. I am definitely an anxious homebody who hates change, so this has been a big adventure for me.

wow! that is a really big change! and really recent, too! exciting!

i didn't really think I had anything for this thread other than like little every day stuff, but I guess I did basically stay in New York because I met my husband. I was planning on staying in NY for very long and I probably wouldn't have if it weren't for him, but I'm glad I did because in addition to being with him, I also made great friends. And now we moved to Seattle because he got a job out here. It's fun to be on an adventure with someone!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I moved to another country, then he moved to yet another, one I couldn't stay in.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:45 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Every year during Veganstock I get up early one morning and make everyone cinnamon rolls.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Now that is true love.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:36 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

lavawitch wrote:
Now that is true love.

Best forking love. <3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:43 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My first date with my partner ended up lasting all night and well into the next day, and we refer to it as "the day of days," which was spent wandering around San Francisco. For our second date, we went camping for two weeks in Big Sur. It was the middle of winter and we were the only people there. Now it's almost ten years, many dogs, and one kid later and we are in loooove!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I spend $300 a month on my cat's medications? It used to be $400. Plus cardiologist visits, those are very expensive. Does that count?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes! That definitely counts. To paraphrase RuPaul, if you can't love your cat, how the hell can you love anybody else?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:40 pm 
WRETCHED

pandacookie wrote:
Every year during Veganstock I get up early one morning and make everyone cinnamon rolls.

<3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

strawberryrock wrote:
I spend $300 a month on my cat's medications? It used to be $400. Plus cardiologist visits, those are very expensive. Does that count?

It definitely counts! That's love, right there! Especially since the cat doesn't thank you! We do!

I am digging these comments.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:18 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I feel you, Srock. Quita is almost $200 in meds and prescription food. Oh, over $200 now that she popped her ACL. I love this dog so much though.

I actually agreed to move to Alabama with my dad as a teenager because I thought I was in love, even though the guy had basically stopped talking to me and simply said he was busy. Soooooo dumb.

Mr Moon and I were discussing our future, marriage and so on, before we were even technically dating. If any of my friends had told me that sort of thing about their relationships, I would have said they were nuts to be talking that way after only a couple months of hanging out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:28 am 
WELFARIST!

The year before my grandma died, I flew home three times and nursed her for about a month each time. The year she died, I did it once and stayed for 6 weeks (but then couldn't bring myself to fly out once she was in hospice, which she was in for about 2 weeks before she died). She looked smaller and smaller each time I flew out, but that just meant I could curl up behind her when she sat in her chair, and could give her more of a bear hug. Sometimes the dog (a small puff; Soleil) would even join us. That'd make grandma laugh so much! ... Each flight was about 14 hours, and it was about 20 hours from my front door to hers. I still hate flying because of that year with 3 roundtrip flights, but am still so happy I could be there for her.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:50 am 
Inflexitarian

aw lutin, that's lovely.

Mine is also not a dating story. And not something I did.

I had a best friend I was very close with from about 3rd grade (about 8 y.o.). In 10th grade we learned her parents would be moving to a different town, and so for the first time in 8 years we would not be at the same school. I was pretty broken up about it. That year (10th) we were in the same English class, American Literature. The teacher organized a trip to New England to see places like Walden Pond, Mark Twain's house, etc. My bff and I were going to go and room together. Then it came up that with the move and all, her parents couldn't afford the trip.

Last year of school together. No class trip together. THE WORLD AS I KNEW IT WAS ENDING. (oh, being 15...)

A week or so later, she came in super excited - our teacher had just told her a local community group had put up a scholarship for the trip. He put in a bunch of essays from different students and hers won. So she got to come on the trip, we got to room together.

Years later I found out there was no club. No scholarship.

My mom paid for her trip. (She cooked up the scholarship story with my teacher because she didn't want my friend's parents to feel uncomfortable about accepting the help.) She just knew how big it was for me, at that moment in my life, to have my friend with me.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:18 am 
Semen Strong

Mack, that is so sweet!

I've done some pretty crazy things for romantic love - like called off an engagement and moved halfway around the world for a guy I just met. But sadly, it turned out to be a giant caramel cluster.

But I do love all the heartwarming tales in this thread!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:09 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Mack the Spork, what a beautiful thing for your mom to do!

I love this thread. I have no romantic stories to contribute because I lack in that department, but I'll try and see if there's something else I can think of to add here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:05 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Mack, that is so sweet!

Sweet_potato, every time you share one of your knitted creations that you're giving as a gift, I marvel at your talent but also your willingness to give those masterpieces away. I feel like you show an amazing amount of love with every stitch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:23 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Aww thanks Moon!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:52 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Aw, Mack that story kind of made me tear up! Moms <3

I bought a house so I could keep my dog. That was kind of crazy. Mortgages are crazy.