| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm Not Having It Tonight
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:34 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I had my first day of a small temp job today; it was supposed to be just data entry, and it turned out to be writing an application for orphan drug status for a pharmaceutical company. That doesn't have any real point, except that maybe it's a contributing factor?

Then I got home to see this:

and this:
text reads:
Above: this woman is 51. She is TV health guru Gillian McKeith, advocating a holistic approach to nutrition and health, promoting exercise, a vegetarian diet high in organic fruits and vegetables. She recommends detox diets, colonic irrigation and supplements.

Right: this woman is 51. She is Nigella Lawson, a TV cook, who eats meat, butter and desserts.

I REST MY CASE

from two friends on my FB wall. I'm responding; I'm all snark and condescension and Squeaky teeth, and I'm finding myself looking for more to chew. I have no clue why I'm so ornery; I even went to the gym today after work.

Post subject: Re: I'm Not Having It Tonight
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:01 pm 
Semen Strong

I want to see you snark!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:03 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Tofulish wrote:
I want to see you snark!

this!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:13 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I know what you mean, I sometimes can't keep it to myself when friends post crepe on facebook.

Why did conservative Americans have to co-opt the peaceful, majestic, and beautiful eagle as their symbol? I guess that leaves the rest of us with the majestic turkey.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The first one is actually kinda hilarious. If the founding fathers were pure conservative traditionalists, wouldn't they have been monarchists?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wait - so only conservatives make money? If the world was full of rank conservatives, they'd all be living in caves and hitting each other with bones.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:55 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

thisheregiraffe wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
I want to see you snark!

this!

Hahahaha! I love how you both have such feisty avatars making this statement in support of snark. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:56 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Oooh! Snark away! I got snarky on FB earlier tonight as well. :)

If conservatives support liberals financially, then why is it that the red states consistently get more money from the Federal government than they pay in, and the blue states get less?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:32 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My husband's coworkers pulled the Nigella Lawson picture on him a few months ago. I'm sure her good looks have nothing to do with professional makeup artists (since she appears to be on the red carpet). (Or perhaps plastic surgeons? I have no idea.) I've seen plenty of omnis who are wrinkly. :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

karichelle wrote:
My husband's coworkers pulled the Nigella Lawson picture on him a few months ago. I'm sure her good looks have nothing to do with professional makeup artists (since she appears to be on the red carpet). (Or perhaps plastic surgeons? I have no idea.) I've seen plenty of omnis who are wrinkly. :P
I don't think she's had surgery and she definitely looks her age more when she's on TV. Not that there's anything wrong with that, she's undeniably very attractive. I think she just has good genes, to be honest. I find her TV stuff after Domestic Goddess to be very tame. She looks like she's on antidepressants, which is understandable as she's had a sad life.

This can be basically summarised as "People who worry a lot about what they eat look like people who worry about things. People who enjoy their food look like people who enjoy things."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:49 am 
WELFARIST!

Gulliver wrote:
She looks like she's on antidepressants...

What?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:51 am 
WELFARIST!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18530&p=492346&hilit=nigella#p492346

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:54 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Block, move on with life.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:56 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

just mumbles wrote:
Block, move on with life.

+1 yummy

This is my go to response for people who peas me off. Or I just deactivate my FB.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:14 pm 
Chip Strong

If I can't block/ unfriend someone without stirring up drama (ie, family members), I just hide their updates so I don't have to worry about them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
She looks like she's on antidepressants...

What?
On one of her series she had a look of sadness behind all her smiles. She just looked numb... this was confirmed by my friend who was a mental health worker. There was just something off about her.

Not that there's anything wrong with antidepressants, they both change and save lives. However, not all antidepressants are right for all people, and the wrong one can make you come across as being dead behind the eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:04 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Gillian McKeith is an unqualified quack who suggests ridiculous food myths to keep herself famous. She is not an advocate for a healthy diet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:11 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

cornflowers wrote:
Gillian McKeith is an unqualified quack who suggests ridiculous food myths to keep herself famous. She is not an advocate for a healthy diet.

And she's also not vegetarian, she recommends fish. Not that that's got anything to do with what a shitty thing that comparison is, although I think I heard she became interested in nutrition because she'd been very ill, which might contribute to her looking careworn.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:33 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This is how I read the second picture (in a caveman voice): bisque on left eat vege-ta-bles, bisque also not attractive. Grrr! bisque on right is yummy and has a tv show that I don't actually watch but I heard it has meat on it. Gaaaa! Me want to make her 8th wife.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:34 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I just don't like that women are only valued for their looks, as if whatever expertise they may have is predicated on appearance. A lot of things go into whether a person is good looking or not, not all related to diet. Nigella is super-hot, and I'm pretty sure she still would be if she were vegan. Gillian McKeith (who is a quack, but that isn't the point) just looks like she looks. She would still be a quack if she were pretty.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, FB stinks sometimes. The only conservatives on my wall are my Louisiana relatives, I just ignore them (Geaux Saints). I'm not going to unfriend my relatives. Just scroll and move on. If it were a real friend I would snark away or un-friend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:33 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

kallista93 wrote:
The only conservatives on my wall are my Louisiana relatives, I just ignore them (Geaux Saints). I'm not going to unfriend my relatives. Just scroll and move on. If it were a real friend I would snark away or un-friend.

this reminds me of my rather staunchly republican aunt who in 2004 sent me a few mean-spirited anti-Kerry/pro-Bush emails with this sort of image attached, instructing me to pass them on to my mom. haha, no. i deleted them without responding.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:48 am 
Huffs Nooch

It's a bit ridiculous to use only two women to represent both ways of seeing things. One person can't represent all vegetarians nor can one admittedly beautiful woman represent all omnis. It reminds me of the attitudes of my co-workers. I always get the whole "my second cousin's best friend's boss was vegan and she ended up being anemic. Therefore, you're going to die because of your diet". Ughh. Going to my happy place, going to my happy place. La la la la.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:01 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Lidwiz wrote:
Oooh! Snark away! I got snarky on FB earlier tonight as well. :)

If conservatives support liberals financially, then why is it that the red states consistently get more money from the Federal government than they pay in, and the blue states get less?

Thanks for this! You prompted me to start googling red state/blue state + taxes and I found some interesting stuff. Example: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/04/the_red_state_ripoff.html, by Ezra Klein, a Washington Post writer on economics, a newspaper that usually breaks well right of center.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:20 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I think that photo of McKeith was taken on I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here, when she was extremely stressed, sweaty and had no make-up on. Hardly a fair comparison, putting her next to someone who's all dolled up on a red carpet.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Squeak wrote:
I
Above: this woman is 51. She is TV health guru Gillian McKeith, advocating a holistic approach to nutrition and health, promoting exercise, a vegetarian diet high in organic fruits and vegetables. She recommends detox diets, colonic irrigation and supplements.

So exercise is bad for us now?