| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Dear vegans, stop posting dead animals on facebook.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

I don't mind a lot of the photos that are posted on FB regarding AR, as long as they're informative. For example, a friend posted a pretty grotesque photo of a cow and under the photo had a text related to the dairy industry. Another example is the photo of mangled and crowded chickens with the text under the photo that informs about the chicken industry, eggs and/or "humane" meat and eggs. I don't mind those. Shock and reality works for some people. If a page like Food Fight posts something like that, I assume that they're showing it in case its followers want to share it. If I don't like a photo I either ignore it, hide it or hide that persons/pages news feed.

The pictures that I don't like or the pictures that irk me are the ones that are just pictures with something like "Click like if you are against _____" or "Share if you disagree with this photo" while providing no information. I guess the intention behind it is what gets to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The problem is that the photos are not hidden by a spoiler tag. If I like Food Fight, they appear in my news feed. Even worse, if I'm friends with MBM and she comments on that photo it can appear in my news feed. I don't have the option to not see it.

Post the pictures on your website and put the informative text on FB - if I want to see it, I can click on the link and go to your blog.

I should also say the fact that some people get really upset is reason enough not to do it. If your compassion does not extend to other human beings, I don't know what to say to you. You can't bludgeon someone over the head and force them to be vegan.

Last edited by Vantine on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

Vantine wrote:
The problem is that the photos are not hidden by a spoiler tag. If I like Food Fight, they appear in my news feed. Even worse, if I'm friends with MBM and she comments on that photo it can appear in my news feed. I don't have the option to not see it.

Yeah, that's the thing that really bothers me. I don't like the fact that if I *like* a picture or comment on it, it appears to everyone in my news feed and there's nothing that I can do about that.

When you hide a single post, it says something about FB using that as info as to what you do and don't want to see so maybe they start hiding stuff like that from your news feed after a while? Not sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Vantine wrote:

Yeah, that's the thing that really bothers me. I don't like the fact that if I *like* a picture or comment on it, it appears to everyone in my news feed and there's nothing that I can do about that.

When you hide a single post, it says something about FB using that as info as to what you do and don't want to see so maybe they start hiding stuff like that from your news feed after a while? Not sure.

I can hide a post because I am feeling lonely and I don't want to read about your super date with whomever. That doesn't stop your news from arriving in my feed.

You don't need to do anything about it - the people who are posting that stuff on pages owned and primarily read by vegans can stop posting it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

It's reeeeeaaaaally hard for me to not say something passive aggressive when meat eating friends post AR stuff.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

John Robbins has always said something to the effect that baby steps are important. Taking any position that is for animal rights is a big step for many people. Incremental progress is far more likely than some deus ex machina magic fairy solution.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:39 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Vantine wrote:
John Robbins has always said something to the effect that baby steps are important. Taking any position that is for animal rights is a big step for many people. Incremental progress is far more likely than some deus ex machina magic fairy solution.

thanks, that's a good point. i'll try and remember it. i'm just so sick of "oh poor puppies and kitties! look at this suffering! oh, hand me another hamburger."

BUT, i like your positive thinking and i should repeat that over and over to myself.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lobsteriffic wrote:
Vantine wrote:

thanks, that's a good point. i'll try and remember it. i'm just so sick of "oh poor puppies and kitties! look at this suffering! oh, hand me another hamburger."

BUT, i like your positive thinking and i should repeat that over and over to myself.

The suffering of puppies and kitties is important and it's a good thing that people are concerned about it. Someone who is concerned about pets is closer to seeing why the suffering of cows matters than someone who doesn't give a fart. That's why I'm glad when my friends tell me they don't eat x or they won't buy y because of how the animals are treated. I am happy when people who eat animals stop buying fur. It all matters if your goal is to fight industrial agriculture and end suffering.

From the comments on the picture that upset MBM, I think some people have a goal of being holier than anyone else. That's not useful.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I keep seeing this picture circulating of an orange cat with this contraption on her head. I just can't handle it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:05 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i know! ugh. :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:30 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

A (non-vegan) friend of mine just posted this on FB and I had to share:

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:27 am 
Nailed to the V

lepelaar wrote:
A (non-vegan) friend of mine just posted this on FB and I had to share:

ah!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5