| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dear vegans, stop posting dead animals on facebook.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, your facebook is definitely there to do with as you see fit. Knowing more people will hide/unfriend me than "like" my statuses is the only thing that stops me from posting what I have for dinner every. single. day.

So I accept that other people will post pictures of animal abuse and have the right to do that on their own page, but I don't like seeing it so I give them one pass and then I hide them if they keep doing it. However, it was seeing graphic leaflets inserted in magazines that got me into animal rights when I was a teenager (which was a step up from the completely unpoliticised gelatin-eating veggie I was before) so I do think can sometimes reach people.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

karichelle wrote:
The thing that REALLY burns my biscuit are the omnivores involved in animal rescue who are constantly posting photos of horrible abuses of domestic animals. Graphic, bloody pictures. Going on about how we have to stop this awful cruelty.

Then they go to Burger King and chow down, or slap a steak on the grill.

It's really all I can do not to blow up at them. Seeing the pictures just makes me so sad and I wish people would stop posting them because I AM AWARE, thankyouverymuch...I do not need to see this picture every 3 days to remain aware.

Maybe I am lucky because I only follow a few national groups who tend not to post those sorts of pictures.

One local group does post pictures of animals they are rehabbing/rescuing because that is their mission (they take in pets who are sick/injured and would otherwise be put down). The pictures are heartbreaking but not gross and it gets people to donate so they can do more good work. Plus people get invested in the stories of particular animals and like to see how they improve. They are not a veg*n group but they do great work and run a low-cost vet clinic. That helps people keep their pets when money is tight.

For me, the difference is intention - most of the people who post those pictures are trying to shame and moralize. "LOOK YOU ARE ALL BAD PEOPLE!" That's obnoxious regardless of whether you are vegan or not.

But you can do whatever you want with your own Facebook page; I can always take action so I don't see it. I don't mind that people use it for something other than posting the same forking picture that George Takei already forking posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:21 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Vantine wrote:
But you can do whatever you want with your own Facebook page; I can always take action so I don't see it. I don't mind that people use it for something other than posting the same forking picture that George Takei already forking posted.

This made me laugh and laugh.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
dakini wrote:
On a similar note, I'm friends with a few rescue groups on facebook and they post pictures of abused cats and dogs with horrific stories and I think I just need to unfriend them all because it bums me out so incredibly much. I can't save every animal. I can't. I'm doing the best I can. I don't need those images of cruelty thrown in my face.

I am dealing with the same thing. I don't have any vegan fb friends, so I don't get the graphic farm animal pics, but a lot of my friends work with rescuing dogs and cats and they will repost horrible pictures of abused/neglected/dead animals. I don't know what they are expecting these pictures to do, since most of their friends are already trying to help rescue animals. Earlier this week, I had a really tough day at work. We had to euthanise a kitten that we had been caring for round the clock trying to save. I got home all depressed, opened up fb, and there was a picture of a dead pit bull. The caption said something like "rescue came too late for this dog". It hadn't been posted by any of my friends, but one friend had commented on it, so it showed up in my feed. I could not deal with dead animal pics that day, and for some reason, fb wouldn't let me hide that particular story. I was crying and felt like I was going to puke. I ended up having to use adblock to block the image, because I just could not look at that in my newsfeed every time I scrolled down. Maybe I should just start spamming my friends with adorable, happy animal pictures and they'll see how much nicer those pics are.

You realize you miss the hilarious threads that 'Bang?! and I post on FB, don't you?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pandacookie wrote:
Vantine wrote:

I seriously get stabby about the 10th time I see his photos on FB. He's funny but no one is that bloody funny.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:54 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Vantine wrote:

For me, the difference is intention - most of the people who post those pictures are trying to shame and moralize. "LOOK YOU ARE ALL BAD PEOPLE!" That's obnoxious regardless of whether you are vegan or not.

Yes, this.

And people can do whatever the fork they want with their facebook page, and I can tell them to knock it the fork off and if they can't understand why it's a dick thing to do, then I don't need to follow/be friends with them anymore.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

Vantine wrote:
I don't mind that people use it for something other than posting the same forking picture that George Takei already forking posted.

YES.

Also, there's a problem on FB that drives me nuts where if you *like* or comment on a photo, it ends up being displayed on your news feed for all of your friends to see unless they somehow unsubscribe it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:18 pm 
Dead by dawn

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Vantine wrote:
I don't mind that people use it for something other than posting the same forking picture that George Takei already forking posted.

YES.

Also, there's a problem on FB that drives me nuts where if you *like* or comment on a photo, it ends up being displayed on your news feed for all of your friends to see unless they somehow unsubscribe it.

Ugh, I wish fb would stop doing this! I want to see my friends' statuses and pictures that my friends post, not every damn thing every one of them "likes."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Vantine wrote:
Maybe I am lucky because I only follow a few national groups who tend not to post those sorts of pictures.

One local group does post pictures of animals they are rehabbing/rescuing because that is their mission (they take in pets who are sick/injured and would otherwise be put down). The pictures are heartbreaking but not gross and it gets people to donate so they can do more good work. Plus people get invested in the stories of particular animals and like to see how they improve. They are not a veg*n group but they do great work and run a low-cost vet clinic. That helps people keep their pets when money is tight.

Yes, I belong to groups like that too -- those aren't the pictures I'm referring to. Those generally get posted one time, for information and donations. I'm talking about the ones that "make the rounds" over and over and are being posted and reposted by individuals...like the poor dog who got his snout blown off by a firecracker when some kids taped his mouth shut around it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:23 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

What about Dead Milkmen?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:47 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This has really been bothering me, too. One person I know continually invites me to join her various animal rights causes, which are great, but I can't deal with the fact that all of them come with incredibly graphic pictures and descriptions. I do not need that shiitake.

I also don't need to be reminded of how we're not eating "poor, tortured animals" every time I sit down for a meal with another vegan friend of mine. The horrible image and self-righteousness are nearly enough to make me lose my appetite*.

*Pretty much nothing can make me lose my appetite.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:43 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hello, newbie here, nice to meet you all. I've been vegan since about mid March. When I was omni I got chatting to a vegan at a picnic and she was really getting in my face about "do you know what happened to that cow you're eating?" and went on to describe things in graphic detail. It did not encourage me to change in any way, it actually made me go further in to denial. And want to yell at her to shut up. Deep down I always knew that eating animals wasn't right (for me) but I was massively in to the whole hide your head in the sand thing and I remember saying "don't want to know don't want to know don't want to know" in an anoying way so she would shut up. I continued eating animals for years after that.

My first experience with vegans and animal rights activists was when they targetted a McDonalds and began a loud in store protest, which involved going up to children and pretending to be animals getting killed and holding up really graphic photos. The kids were terrified and screaming. As a vegan now and as a mother, I absolutely would not tolerate anyone threatening my family that way, vegan or not and if I saw this kind of action again, I'd say something.

I also avoid some fb pages or certain websites because I can't handle the images. Even reading news headlines in the local paper, with a single headline describing animal cruelty is enough. I know this goes on, I am doing my bit to raise awareness but I do not believe that means I have to be subjected to the images when I have not asked for them.

On one hand, I admire people getting out there and doing something raise awareness, instead of sitting back doing nothing. But there's a way to go about things that encourages positive change. Getting in someone's face can have the opposite effect. I became vegan after a vegan friend patiently planted tiny seeds in my head and she never pressured me in any way. She answered my questions, introduced me to raw vegan as well and I took it from there.

If any of you read the Choosing Raw blog, the author (Gena) has the exact approach I believe is the best to try and promote change. Non judgemental, respectful, politely answering questions (even tricky ones), and leading by example without actually having to say much. I'm doing the same with my family now and my mum and mother in law have asked for vegan recipes. There is no way that giving them a graphic account of the origins of their chicken sandwich would encourage them to change. I have found that people go in to the whole denial thing and say things like "there's a reason why man is at the top of the food chain". I was in that place once and people have to come to the place of understanding on their own, with gentle encouragement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:49 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I love your name and avatar. That is all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:27 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Vantine wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
Vantine wrote:

I seriously get stabby about the 10th time I see his photos on FB. He's funny but no one is that bloody funny.

fork you forker, Takei is the man.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

As other people have said, it's not just vegans, which makes it bad on yet another level.

I am for the positive - I love the pictures of recued or otherwise loved animals. This morning there was a mixed breed mama with her four adorable plump puppies from a local rescue place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

erynne936 wrote:
I prefer to post pics of incredibly adorable animals. I hope it works.

You and I think alike.

mrsbadmouth wrote:

And I repeat: fork you. I don't need to look at a bunch of pictures of suffering animals to be more vegan or a better vegan or whatever you think. I usually don't cover my eyes/ears and start telling people to fork off, but no. Forcing me to look at pictures of dead animals, even for a second, isn't something i'm willing to debate about if it's cool or not. It's not.

I feel like the time it takes for me to be upset over those images (or the amount of time it takes for someone to post all those) is just taking away from the time I could be using to do something constructive for the movement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ugh. Just had to defriend somebody because of this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:29 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I agree disturbing pictures are annoying especially when they catch you unaware, but these things must have a place somewhere. I am transitioning to veganism from vegetarianism because I watched Earthlings. Had I not watched it I would still be eating lots of cheese and eggs, thinking I was doing enough. Also some one had to suggest I watch it or I wouldn't have. That some one just so happened to be online... a funny but self righteous vegan vlogger. I'm not saying you should be pushy and disturb people.. you should probably not. I found this thread because I searched "Earthlings". I'm having a hard time after seeing it not bursting into tears when my co-workers all eat hamburgers for lunch. Any tips on how not to do that?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:16 pm 
Impressive boner

No tips sorry, I couldn't even make it through the trailer for 'Earthlings'.

I've already unsubscribed from one person this week for posting disturbing photos. I almost did with a friend today, however their posting resulted in me doing a little more research into companies who do/don't use animal testing so I let my friend off this time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:21 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Ozma wrote:
I agree disturbing pictures are annoying especially when they catch you unaware, but these things must have a place somewhere. I am transitioning to veganism from vegetarianism because I watched Earthlings. Had I not watched it I would still be eating lots of cheese and eggs, thinking I was doing enough. Also some one had to suggest I watch it or I wouldn't have. That some one just so happened to be online... a funny but self righteous vegan vlogger. I'm not saying you should be pushy and disturb people.. you should probably not. I found this thread because I searched "Earthlings". I'm having a hard time after seeing it not bursting into tears when my co-workers all eat hamburgers for lunch. Any tips on how not to do that?

it's tough when you first find out about animal cruelty stuff! it sucks, but you have to become a little bit jaded otherwise you'll be a wreck. just realize that you're doing the best you can for animals and just try not to think about animals when you see people eating meat or dairy or whatever. It gets easier with time.

When I first became vegan I was a little self righteous about it until one day my mom was like "you know, you're being a total jerk about this" and i was like oh..right...i'm not usually a jerk. and I cut it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:48 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I agree that FB should not be a platform for graphic postings of dead or suffering animals. I have been trying to figure out what to do about a couple of posters that are FB friends and are constantly posting this type of material. It may come down to blocking or unfriending- I guess I had not really considered it.

The thing I learned in this thread that forking horrifies me is the thing about things that we "like" going into ALL of our friends' feeds? Is this true? Also... are private messages sent through 'facemail' exempt from this? Now I am really wondering who can or cannot see what? I have a pretty diverse collection of friends and family. Most of them would not appreciate some of things I might respond to... and of course I often send different things to different groups of people.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

I just block them from my news feed. They're still my friend and I don't have to see dead animals.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:46 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ellipsisdream wrote:
I agree that FB should not be a platform for graphic postings of dead or suffering animals. I have been trying to figure out what to do about a couple of posters that are FB friends and are constantly posting this type of material. It may come down to blocking or unfriending- I guess I had not really considered it.

The thing I learned in this thread that forking horrifies me is the thing about things that we "like" going into ALL of our friends' feeds? Is this true? Also... are private messages sent through 'facemail' exempt from this? Now I am really wondering who can or cannot see what? I have a pretty diverse collection of friends and family. Most of them would not appreciate some of things I might respond to... and of course I often send different things to different groups of people.

people can't see the messages that you send, but yeah, whenever you like something or comment on something it has the potential to show up on all your friends feeds. You can't really do anything about it, I don't think. It's up to them to "unscubscribe" from your comments and likes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:17 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yeah, you can't do anything about that. I've seen a few pages get trolled because someone comments on a post, and then one of their crasshole friends jumps on. Also, I don't care what it is, I REALLY don't need ya'll weighing in when I ask my drive-in why they're bringing The Avengers back again after they ran it for six weeks straight, instead of playing a different movie.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:05 pm 
Inflexitarian

8ball wrote:
No tips sorry, I couldn't even make it through the trailer for 'Earthlings'.

This is maybe a bit off topic, but I had never actually watched Earthlings before; the descriptions in text were enough for me to stop eating animals several years back. Inspired by this topic, I decided to watch it last night. Yeah.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next