| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: weddings are annoying, but...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ooo that is beautiful! Have you figured out any details yet?

I have decided to go with my inner cupcake and dress like one, so I'm eyeing this one:
(sorry it's so big)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

New development since back when I started this thread, but now at my work I plan and sell weddings. This father of a groom called me yesterday and yelled at me for not being able to predict the colour of the blossoms in the orchard for May 2015 because his son's fiance is trying to plan her colour scheme around them. What!

Anyway, I'm excited for you guys. Some of my brides are really, really fun and creative and great and it makes me not hate weddings at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:29 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What? That is bizarre.

Has anyone here done home brew for their wedding? We brew our own beer and we'd like to serve it, but finding a venue that allows it is tricky, so any guidance/advice would be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:37 am 

Yeah, our venue can't allow it because the liquor distribution branch controls everything. I'm sure the liquor laws aren't as rigid where you are than here, but there isn't one venue I can think of that would allow it, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:11 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

fupapack wrote:

I love it! It's classic and unique and you will be gorgeous in it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:16 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Fupapack, I love that dress! It's sophisticated, elegant, and unique!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:09 pm 
Dead by dawn

It's really gorgeous, fupapack! From what I can tell from pics you've posted, it would look fantastic on you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:09 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The only thing is I don't know if i can get it or afford it so i'm looking for similar things and there isn't much like it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

That really is an elegant dress! And the pattern is pretty simple. What I mean is, if you have a friend with basic sewing skills they could probably make one for you without a pattern if they had that picture. The cost of the fabric is pretty small, too. My sewing skills aren't the most sophisticated, but I would feel confident making a dress like that. I'm sure if you have a friend that sews they'd be happy to do it for you!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:49 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah I just found out the price and it's made out of silk. So i'm going to try to make it. I can sew well, but mostly from patterns. Hopefully I can figure it out. Is it insane that I want to do the cooking for the wedding? I'm reading some d.i.y. stories and I feel empowered. I wouldn't make anything terribly tricky. A salad, tabouli, mushrooms in phyllo, some kind of protein, and roasted veg because I forking love roasted veg and i don't care that it's played out. Also the cost of caterers makes me want to faint, and then what if it sucks too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't think you're crazy at all and what you're talking about sounds lovely. Are you having a big wedding?

If I had access to a kitchen and enough time at the town we're looking at I would make at least some of the food, like the pies. We are going to start test-brewing some of what we want to serve at the wedding (if that ends up being not possible we figure we'll serve it at/after the rehearsal dinner or give as favors). We are looking at a black forest stout, our pale ale, an amber, and a hard cider/apple wine. Our cider recipe is down pat, but we need to up the equipment for the rest and I am pretty excited. I might also make a batch without S and give it to him for his bachelor party (hopefully I can do it on my own!).

I love reading about what PPKers have done in the past for weddings - so many good ideas! S is a lot more traditional than I am so we are planning a more traditional event, but it is fun to mix in things that we like more than the norm, like the wedding pies. And depending on which location we go with, there may be the option of renting snow shoes, in which case I really want to have a married couple's first snow shoe-ing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:57 pm 

I really wanted to do cooking for my wedding but I'm SO GLAD I was talked out of it, because I probably would have just passed out from exhaustion (and it was only for 35 people). Instead, I found a really awesome and reasonable caterer who understood my needs (Indian food that is spicy enough with garlic naan and tons of chutneys/sauces/condiments) and everyone loved it. I thought I might be too busy to eat like I see so many poor brides do at their weddings so I begged the caterers to save me a significant amount of everything which was super nice because that is generally a catering no-no (for legal reasons that protect them), and then ended up going up to the buffet three times anyway. I ate like a horse. It was great.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:53 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

vijita wrote:
I really wanted to do cooking for my wedding but I'm SO GLAD I was talked out of it, because I probably would have just passed out from exhaustion (and it was only for 35 people). Instead, I found a really awesome and reasonable caterer who understood my needs (Indian food that is spicy enough with garlic naan and tons of chutneys/sauces/condiments) and everyone loved it. I thought I might be too busy to eat like I see so many poor brides do at their weddings so I begged the caterers to save me a significant amount of everything which was super nice because that is generally a catering no-no (for legal reasons that protect them), and then ended up going up to the buffet three times anyway. I ate like a horse. It was great.

The food was sooooooooooo good. I ate a ton.

Congrats to all the wedding folks!!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I cooked my wedding meal, cake, and rehearsal dinner. I'm really glad I did but i couldnt have done it without my husband, maid of honor, and bridesmaid. I'd really recommend enlisting a few friends to help cook and set up.

We did roasted veggie kabobs, falafel, tabouleh, pasta puttanesca, fruit skewers, hummus, and the "cake" was baklava. For 50 people we spent under $300, including booze and other drinks, which was great cause all the caterers were too expensive.

If you decide to do it, feel free to pm me or ask questions. We also rented and transported our own plates, cutlery, chairs, food, etc. so I feel like I'm kinda a logistical pro now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I think it's amazing to make your wedding food. If you enlist friends and family it makes it more of an....I don't know what word I'm looking for here.....special group project? Not the words I wanted, but hopefully you know what I mean. A special *period of time* for everyone, not just a bunch of stress leading up to a few hours......with a massive bill tacked onto it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

tofucheez wrote:
I think it's amazing to make your wedding food. If you enlist friends and family it makes it more of an....I don't know what word I'm looking for here.....special group project? Not the words I wanted, but hopefully you know what I mean. A special *period of time* for everyone, not just a bunch of stress leading up to a few hours......with a massive bill tacked onto it.

Yeah, my bridesmaid said it felt like a community wedding, and she was right. It was really lovely.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

couroupita wrote:
tofucheez wrote:

Yeah, my bridesmaid said it felt like a community wedding, and she was right. It was really lovely.

Plus, it was SUPER good and beautifully presented and 1000% yummy!! I was so amazed that you guys did your own cooking, Couropita.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:20 am 
Semen Strong

That is really beautiful and impressive couroupita! I can't imagine being collected enough to manage the food as well as all the other pieces of the day!

If you're willing to share pictures, I'd love to see them - it sounds amazing!

My stepmother made my stepsister's wedding cake from scratch and made the most beautiful fondant flowers for it. It was one of the most beautiful cakes I have ever seen. And my stepmother had never decorated cakes before. She taught herself how to do it for the wedding. She also made our bridesmaid dresses just using measurements we emailed her. She managed to make 4 very flattering dresses from scratch. She's probably a robot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:34 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Fizzgig wrote:
What? That is bizarre.

Has anyone here done home brew for their wedding? We brew our own beer and we'd like to serve it, but finding a venue that allows it is tricky, so any guidance/advice would be helpful.

The place that we had our reception in did not serve food or drinks, so we were allowed to bring in our own food and drinks/booze. I guess it would depend on the laws in your state also. For us the big thing was finding a place that didn't do their own food and drinks because then they would require you to use that. It saved us a TON of money to buy our own drinks. It was also better to pick the wines and stock our favorites for the bar. I hope you find a way to do it! A good caterer will know all the laws and could help you find a place that would allow it if that's possible in your area.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We're having big wedding! My first thought was an Indian buffet. I'm worried that some of my relatives who haven't had much variety in food will be sad though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:59 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

No one is ever sad about samosas!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i just convince them they are indian perogi right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:30 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

fupapack wrote:
i just convince them they are indian perogi right?

Yup!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:02 am 

Indian worked so well for my guests of varying tastes and limited daringness to try new cuisines! I made sure we had three really nice salads that weren't really Indian but they added prettiness to the buffet and were pretty hard for anyone to complain about. Also, garlic naan! And then tonnes of chutneys and sauces for people like me to dump all over everything to spice it up. My caterer even made his own Indian chilli hot sauce that was the best ever. Oh my and he made this roasted tomato chutney that somehow wasn't put out so he gave me six jars of it (canned, so good to sit in my pantry for months), and I JUST found it the other day. It's so good!

If it were up to me only I'd have wanted everything crazy spicy hot but that would only fly for myself and maybe a handful of guests, not including my husband, so I made up for it with the sauces.

I considered Ethiopian too because my favourite Ethiopian restaurant chef was willing to do it, but I actually know that my dad and some of my relatives really don't care much for Ethiopian food (particularly injera), so that made it trickier. Also I am the messiest Ethiopian food eater because I am incredibly clumsy and would have refused a fork and shoved berbere wat into my face with injera all night long. Come to think of it though, I'm not sure I used a fork much for the Indian food because naan, duh. Probably for the salads. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I haven't talked to my mother for years, maybe 7. There's pressure to invite her. I'm going to let her come because I don't care I don't have to talk to her or whatever and if she acts a fool I can kick her out. But I'm starting to have nightmares about her! What does this mean!?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next