| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: weddings are annoying, but...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:18 am 
Chard Martyr

That sound so fun, b.vicious, especially the honeymoon!!

So my anniversary is March 30th! We're getting a catered night in of food from a really amazing caterer and are just going to enjoy each others' company and play games.

And ps, my wedding is featured on Vegan Weddings HQ. :) http://veganweddingshq.com/cider-farmhouse-wedding/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:58 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vijita wrote:
And ps, my wedding is featured on Vegan Weddings HQ. :) http://veganweddingshq.com/cider-farmhouse-wedding/

The photos are incredibly beautiful, as is the bride! I love your dress, shoes, just your entire look: ethereal, peaceful, happy and glowing.

What an amazing event, and how ignorant of those folks who refused to attend the reception...! One can attend a festivity, opt out of the food, and grab a meal elsewhere afterward. We vegans do it all the time! I know a particular family member of mine whom I could TOTALLY see attending, but making a HUGE stink out of the possibility of death/fainting from meat deprivation for a few hours...

Thank you for sharing! Lovely.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:20 pm 
ugh

vijita wrote:
That sound so fun, b.vicious, especially the honeymoon!!

So my anniversary is March 30th! We're getting a catered night in of food from a really amazing caterer and are just going to enjoy each others' company and play games.

Happy almost anniversary! And that was a great blog interview, and I really want to eat all the food you had.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:07 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita, that was so lovely! happy anniversary!

My parents are coming to do dress shopping this weekend and I am quite excited. So far we have a beautiful venue, a dj, a photographer, and our wedding party. I have picked out wedding bands for me and Mr. Fizz, bridesmaids' dresses, and centerpieces. It is all coming together finally! I don't feel like I'm fighting every step of the way, which is lovely. Also, we made our wedding website this weekend and Mr. Fizz wrote a really sweet proposal story out for it, explaining my ring and everything. So adorable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:23 pm 

So my venue has a 75 person minimum for the plated dinner/wedding package we're doing. I was thinking that was not a problem at all and we would easily fill that. I just looked at the definite yes people and got 56, including us. I don't know that we have 20 other people who will come. My extended family, which would be about 28 people, only has 8 people coming which is disappointing. My mom is getting anxious about that since we have to pay for 75 people anyway. We don't have a lot of friends, so I think we may have to consider inviting people's parents? Or giving everyone a plus one option? Stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:42 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

time to invite the PPK!

actually though, I'm sorry. That's a drag. it's so hard to figure out who to invite and such, and then it can be a bit surprising to find out who can actually come and who isn't able to make it. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:24 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I got engaged a month ago (wow!) and had a nice lunch with b.vicious about planning. But we aren't getting married until the end of October so I think I'm going to put almost all planning off until August or September. I do have a bunch of ideas on venues and we'll both have next week mostly off so we should go look at places. It was fun reading through this thread today... it made the whole planning process seem less daunting!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:36 am 

Thanks, ameyfm. I'm mostly surprised by how far in advance they apparently know! We aren't getting married until September. Sure, they live in NY/NJ, and it is in Wisconsin, but my cousin got married in Florida and people came! Oh, well. At least I'll know the people who come really want to be there and aren't there out of an obligation kind of thing. And I looked at my guest list and realized Mr. Fizz gave a lot of his friends plus ones that I didn't know about which brought us to 66. And I also realized how awesome the people who are coming are...we have cool people.

Congrats, Pi! October weddings are so pretty with the leaves and everything. What kind of venue are you thinking?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm waiting to hear back from a place that used to be a church but has been converted into more of an event place. It still has a few of the prettier churchy details inside (a balcony with pews that they've added little round tables near for drinks) and the main area has plenty of room for tables/dancing and a stage for the dj. I should have a quote on Monday, the guy has been super nice. I want something near the subway, so it has been a bit harder to find things that aren't ridic expensive where we can also have a dj.

My dad has asked me how the planning is going... I think he might be as excited as my mom!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:16 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i gave the jeweler that made my ring a bad review on facebook. i just clicked on the one star option and didn't write any copy back in January because he told my friends that he was making the ring before i received it. well the jeweler just saw the review yesterday and posted a long crazy response and then called my fiance EIGHT times and said all sorts of vile stuff about me. crazy!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:22 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Wow, that sounds really crazy! Not a good way to get referrals from past customers.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to get my ring size for my guy. He is going to choose and buy a wedding ring for me (we skipped the engagement ring) and has asked a few times. I'll get one for him too, but he'll want something simple and it won't take as long to shop for.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:56 pm 
ugh

I'm getting married TOMORROW! Gah!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

have fun, b.vicious!! <3

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Happy wedding day b.vicious!!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:20 pm 
Chard Martyr

Pics when you get back from SF! :)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:21 pm 

yay! hope it was everything you wanted, b.v!

This weekend I'm going shoe shopping which should be loads of fun. Shoe shopping is the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

my squeeze saw the jeweler at a race and the jeweler admitted he was wrong and apologized and everything!!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:32 pm 
Hip Goiter

yay b vicious congrats!!!

My boyfriend...I mean fiance!...and I told our families this weekend that we are (well have been, hehe) engaged. Surprise! Um planning is annoying. He just wants to elope, I want SOMETHING with my loved ones, it's gonna be annoying but fine. and small regardless. And soon!!!! eeek. Feels weird!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:36 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Congrats b vicious! I'd love to see pictures if you are willing to post them!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:40 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Well. I have been engaged for 6 years, together 11.

Finally, this weekend, after a bit of a wakeup call with some health problems on behalf of my partner, I finally decided that it is time to set a date and get cracking. I am an event planner. that is my job. Planning my wedding is crazy stressful, even though it is going to be very non-traditional and little planning necessary.

I think we are going to do Vegas. Rent a HUGE house for friends and family to stay in for a long weekend. Found some crazy houses with water slides, movie theaters, golf courses etc. Then get married on the strip at this awful cheesy chapel by a Tom Jones impersonator. Reception back at the house. Not until next May, after taxes are back :) Will still be pretty inexpensive too.

I got a terrible reaction from friends and family when we got engaged 6 years ago. Very meh. Said they would try to make it if possible (this was before I mentioned a date). Some single girlfriends broke off our friendship since I was now engaged. Other friends coincidentally started drifting away after the announcement. Only a few people were truly excited and happy. It was really upsetting. My family (just siblings) have changed a lot since then and have really gotten close with my partner. I am not friends with the 'meh' people anymore. Still having massive anxiety. What if nobody wants to come? I am scared to even mention it to anyone. Maybe we should just elope.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:53 pm 
WRETCHED

I think you underestimate the willingness for people to take a free vacation. I mean it isn't like Las Vegas is that far of a drive. I had considered having a Las Vegas wedding but I knew that'd still be too close for my hundreds of relatives that live in Southern California and that'd be an expensive wedding even if I wasn't offering them free lodging.

I would say do what makes you happy. If you rent a house, they will come.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Chicki that sounds like a super fun wedding!

I just sent in a deposit on a venue! We're having a Halloween wedding! And I found someone to make vegan cake. So now I don't have to do any planning until August.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:24 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh Halloween wedding! fun!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:07 pm 

a halloween wedding sounds awesome!

has anyone here used either two officiants or a family member as an officiant? we are having a really hard time figuring out an officiant, and the-future-Mr. Fizz suggested using his brother (the best man) and my sister (the maid of honor) as joint officiants. I kind of like it but I'm also a little hesitant...thoughts, suggestions, experiences?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:38 pm 
Dead by dawn

Since your best man and your maid of honor usually serve as the witnesses who sign your marriage certificate, I wonder if that precludes them from being the officiant also?

Biker boy has served as the officiant for his niece's wedding and he did a great job (it was just him, not joint officiants.) But it's a bit of a gamble, I guess. Although mine made a business of officiating weddings and did a crepe job; he'd double-booked himself for my date, so he took a deep breath, blurted out the whole ceremony in like 3 minutes flat, signed the certificate and bolted to the next gig. At least you know a family member isn't going to dick you over that way!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next