| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neighbors from Hell!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:41 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Please tell me that someone has lived through awful terrible neighbors and made it out alive!

boring story even more boring, my neighbors love to play horseshoes until all hours of the night. They are driving my entire neighborhood crazy. Last week another neighbor behind us asked them to turn down their loud music. They think we are gossiping about them to all the other neighbors and causing trouble for them. So they pretty much ambushed my husband one day when he came home from work and started to threaten him. Things got a bit out of hand and the female slapped my husband in the face. I was not home for this, but others witnessed it. He called the police and they came out and wrote up a report. They said we have a year to file a formal complaint. We are considering pressing charges against her for assault. But honestly I just want the whole mess to go away. They don't understand how rude they are being and how their noise effects all of us. But since this altercation they have better and have stopped at 10pm per the noise curfew, which my husband pointed out to them.

We are quiet people and just want to enjoy our home and deck without their loud noise. But at this point it seems impossible. We constantly have our windows and doors shut up because we don't want to hear them. And even with that we hear the "clink" of the horseshoes all day and night on the weekends. And at night on weeknights. They start early in the morning and will go off and on until midnight sometimes. It is like nails on a chalkboard and the sound echos off of a cement wall at the back of their yard.

As long as they knock it off by 10pm so we can sleep I can deal. But it would really be nice to sit on my deck without having to hear them all the time. Sigh......I am ready to sell my house and move on.

Post subject: Re: Neighbors from Hell!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:12 am 
Saggy Butt

Oh wow, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! We've never had really horrible neighbors (well, ours DID accidentally burn their house down) but it's something I dread since it's so out of your control.

I would probably press charges, although I can see how you don't want to make things worse. However, if they are willing to escalate to physical violence once, I'm not sure what's stopping them from doing it again (I'm also assuming this will probably not be your last discussion about their behavior). If the husband had slapped you I imagine you wouldn't hesitate to press charges?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

What I want to know is, who finds horseshoes that much fun to play it that often? Are they training for national finals or something?

Well, you have a year to press charges so if you're afraid of making things worse (and honestly, you have less of a role in that- you can't control what other people do) then if they continue or things escalate, you will always have that option to press charges.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Mr. Shankly wrote:
What I want to know is, who finds horseshoes that much fun to play it that often? Are they training for national finals or something?

You and me both!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:58 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

If the Wii has a horseshoes game, it would be really funny if the neighborhood pitched in to all get them a Wii with this game included. Wrap it as a gift and leave it on their doorstep, heh!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:02 pm 
Grandfathered In

Are these your neighbors?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:02 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Ugh, that sucks!

My question is, if the genders had been reversed -- if the male neighbor had hit you -- would you feel differently about whether to press charges? Not that there's necessarily a right or wrong answer to that, it just seemed like a worthwhile question to ask, since (in my opinion) IF you would have pressed charges if a male neighbor had physically assaulted you, it would seem equally appropriate to press charges if a female neighbor physically assaults your husband. I'm not saying you should necessarily press charges in either case...just putting that question out there.

(eta: I just noticed someone else asked the same question, but since I did ask it too, I'm going to leave the comment.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I want to and would press charges no matter which way the gender role would have happened. It totally could have been the boyfriend hitting my husband too! The only reason why I am hesitant is because I think it will just make things Soooooo much worse than they already are!

We have heard through the grapevine of our neighborhood that they have prior charges (not sure how true this is) and so there might be some serious consequences for her if so. Plus, we would have to take a day off of work to go to court and get our neighbors who witnessed the incident to testify.

I am on the fence about what to do. The whole thing is just beyond stupid to me. I'm pissed that we are having this issue over constant horseshoe playing. I mean really, am I being Punked! And I have never been in a situation where violence is concerned. So what's next, are my tires going to get slashed? Do I have to watch my back whenever I leave the house? These people are forking nuts!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

Don't let them bully you! You should be able to feel safe in your home and not have to fear your crazy neighbors who have already shown that they are willing to act out with violence. If they already do have prior charges and this would only get her deeper into trouble, to be honest, that's her problem. There is always the possibility that things could get worse, whether or not you do decide to press charges, so I'd make sure you have lots and lots of paperwork on your side to show all that you've been dealing with.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:28 pm 
Impressive boner

I've had some pretty awful neighbors in the past.

One couple would play rotten reggae covers very loudly from 10pm until 6am every Sunday to Thursday. I'd go round in my pyjamas and ask them politely to turn the music down, which they would do for an hour and then they'd turn it up again. When I had to go to my sister's house to sleep I'd really had enough. I contacted our local Environmental Health department who issued them with a warning and after that it stopped.
They moved out soon after and a young family moved in, who would play 'Poker Face' on repeat from 10am until 6pm so loud that it would make the ornaments in my front room vibrate, however if we made noise after 6pm they'd knock on our door and complain. This, teamed with them screaming and swearing at their preschool children, threatening my friends and shouting abuse through the walls, Mr8 and I decided we'd had enough and moved out. We called there a while later for some post that had been wrongly delivered and the woman living there told us all about how the family had gone on to get some poor dog that they mistreated badly, who later attacked a young boy and pregnant woman. The dog was euthanized while the mother was given an antisocial behavior order and an electronic tag, then the family 'done a runner' to a village on the outskirts of town.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

8ball wrote:
I've had some pretty awful neighbors in the past.

One couple would play rotten reggae covers very loudly from 10pm until 6am every Sunday to Thursday. I'd go round in my pyjamas and ask them politely to turn the music down, which they would do for an hour and then they'd turn it up again. When I had to go to my sister's house to sleep I'd really had enough. I contacted our local Environmental Health department who issued them with a warning and after that it stopped.
They moved out soon after and a young family moved in, who would play 'Poker Face' on repeat from 10am until 6pm so loud that it would make the ornaments in my front room vibrate, however if we made noise after 6pm they'd knock on our door and complain. This, teamed with them screaming and swearing at their preschool children, threatening my friends and shouting abuse through the walls, Mr8 and I decided we'd had enough and moved out. We called there a while later for some post that had been wrongly delivered and the woman living there told us all about how the family had gone on to get some poor dog that they mistreated badly, who later attacked a young boy and pregnant woman. The dog was euthanized while the mother was given an antisocial behavior order and an electronic tag, then the family 'done a runner' to a village on the outskirts of town.

First of all, thank you for commiserating with me! I'm sorry you had two crepe neighbors to deal with.

And that all sounds just as obnoxious and brutal as what we are dealing with. And they are the same type of people. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people like this! I guess they exist everywhere.

In my area if we want to complain about public issues like these we have to call 911. Which I think is crazy! 911 should be left open for EMERGENCIES! But we double checked and the the police officer told us to use 911 if they go past the noise curfew again or if anything else happens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:57 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Graciakai, do these neighbors own their house or are they renting? If they are renting (if you can somehow find out) then you should get their landlord involved. I am sure they won't be happy with their tenants slapping their neighbors and being loud.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

She owns the house. One of our other neighbors who has been in my town forever told us.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

GraciaKai wrote:
We have heard through the grapevine of our neighborhood that they have prior charges (not sure how true this is) and so there might be some serious consequences for her if so.

That sounds deeply satisfying. You should do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:57 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

You know, my fiancée is a DJ and a producer, so he HAS to play music, (often loudly) to practice and compose. But we don’t want to be dicks, so we have gone to all our neighbors and told them what he does, and if they are ever bothered by it to just come by and let us know and we will turn it down. Oh, and we DON'T play music after 9pm for respect for our neighbors. It's not hard. Why can't more people be respectful in regards to noise?

Anyway, I am generally non-confrontational, but I have to say, if your situation happened to me I would probably have gone over and kicked that woman's asparagus into next week.

That however, that is not helpful advice. I would advise you to press charges. Hitting someone is NOT okay. That is why it is against the law.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:22 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry! I think when someone actually physically assaults you, there need to be consequences, at least so there is a record if she does this again.

We have annoying neighbors, but nothing as bad as yours. A few weeks ago, I had to tell the daughter that it wasn't okay for her friend to honk the horn to have her come downstairs (she was apparently never ready on time, so her friend would be honking for 10 minutes - dude get out of the car and wait on the patio!), and she pitched a fit at me and lied to my face, but hasn't honked since (though we did hear about an anonymous complaint that our lawn is too long). I had to bite down on my tongue when the son told me his friends are into dogfighting (he was asking about my pitmix). They also regularly have parties with loud music until 4 am, but its only a few times a summer so its not terrible, but it is annoying. Our other neighbors have 3 bichons that they leave unleashed to roam the neighborhood, who will chase you down the street and try and bite you. Then there was the guy with the un-neutered wolf-dog, that looked exactly like a wolf. They kept him and a female in the basement, because they had a tiny baby and were worried about safety, but he would jump and break through the windows in the basement to get to a bisque in heat. Everyone else is pretty rad though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:
I had to bite down on my tongue when the son told me his friends are into dogfighting (he was asking about my pitmix).

I would have completely lost it if someone had said this to my face.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
I had to bite down on my tongue when the son told me his friends are into dogfighting (he was asking about my pitmix).

I would have completely lost it if someone had said this to my face.

I had a very calm, and non-judgmental conversation about why dog-fighting is harmful. I do a lot of pittie advocacy, and don't think that losing it on someone is necessarily the best way to be heard and make a difference for the dogs. I think its more useful to meet someone where they are, and educate if you can.

People often say "I would have kicked that guy's asparagus!" and they mean it to be supportive, but it feels like someone is judging your response. I can say that when it actually happens to you, you don't always react the way you think you would. And sometimes you have to assess a situation for your own safety.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh I def wanted to beat her asparagus when I got the call saying my husband just got slapped. My ghetto upbringing was raging! Ive been biting my tongue for days now. She told my husband that I own him. As if Im forcing him to speak for me and Im the one who has the issue with them and Im making him do my dirty work. She couldnt be more wrong!

But yeh, in your case Tofulish you handled it very well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:46 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I have the opposite neighbor, and I hate him.

He's taken it upon himself to sit and look out his window at all hours and make loud noises (he used to use a rape whistle and now, thankfully, only uses a bullhorn) whenever he sees something he doesn't like, like a homeless person WALKING DOWN THE STREET or a bus driver sitting on a stoop on our block waiting for their bus shift to start around the corner. He also hoses down LITERALLY the whole street every day and had a pole installed on the sidewalk where cars would sometimes pull over to load/unload stuff since there's no other place to do that. He's a "neighborhood security" nut and is always trying to have neighborhood meetings about how to kick out the (generally quiet and unobtrusive) homeless people who tend to hang out around our block. He's a major crasshole, AND for all his bullshiitake, TWO neighborhood cars have been stolen from right under his window in the last year or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

jordanpattern wrote:
(he) had a pole installed on the sidewalk where cars would sometimes pull over to load/unload stuff since there's no other place to do that.

He had a pole installed? Like, uh, a light pole? Or something? How do you get that to happen, anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

jordanpattern wrote:
..He's taken it upon himself to sit and look out his window at all hours and make loud noises (he used to use a rape whistle and now, thankfully, only uses a bullhorn) whenever he sees something he doesn't like, like a homeless person WALKING DOWN THE STREET .

I... have no words. People are crassholes.

I have a neighbour like that, but instead of using a bullhorn, she spreads gossip about everything she doesnt like (did I mention she doesnt have any friends?). And she hates us especially. Thankfully, she's in her eighties and not as mobile anymore, so she stays home most of the time. but whenever I pull on our parking lot I can feel her watching me through the curtains.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My upstairs neighbor is a crazy bisque and I secretly want her to fall out the window. Luckily she is moving next sunday, after 7 months of hell with her playing loud techno from 9am 'till 3am most days, not caring that we went up there several times, texted her, called her, threathened to make an official complaint, call the police and contacted her through facebook.

the only thing you'd get back from her was "i play music when i want to.", "i'm having fun", "if you want to study, go to the library or something", "when did you become so square?" and shiitake like that. she is batshit crazy, one day i got a text from her out of the blue saying "hey sweety, long time no see, want to have coffee sometime?". seriously. the only relationship i have to this lady is that i hate her and want her out of this house asap.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:25 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

That really sucks GraciaKai, if they own their home, then unfortunately there are fewer avenues to try to fix the problem.

Our first house has the neighbors from hell (we still own it but rent it out because we couldn't sell due to the market so we still get to see them from time to time). The majority of the street is populated with seniors who have lived in the blue collar neighborhood since it was built in the 1960's and most of the people are really friendly and quiet. An older man owns the house directly across the street from ours, he's very nice but his wife died years ago and since then apparently his grandkids (who are all in their late 20's and 30's by now) have moved in and mooch off of him. They're loud and obnoxious, the ones with kids are regularly outside cussing their kids (I'm talking about kids around 3 years old) out, they and their friends never go to the door to tell people they're there to pick them up - they just lay on the horn repeatedly until someone comes out. One of the grandkids that lived there for was actually a little friendly and would talk to my wife from time to time; shortly after I bought my motorcycle she warned my wife that her brother's friends were planning on stealing it...she said it like it was just a common thing. At least one of them has been arrested during our time in the house for selling drugs out of their house, one of them has been questioned for prostitution out of the house, they have a pair of pitties that they chain up out back and leave 24/7...the sweetest dogs in the world (I know because they have broken out a few times and came over to "visit"). They also have a pair of toy dogs that they just let run all over the street - we call the police/animal control regularly to try to get the dogs taken away from them but to no avail. The highlight though? One year they had a pair of mini bikes and were doing laps around their house at all hours, these things were ridiculously loud - finally one of the neighbors called the cops on them and it turned out the minibikes were stolen. The police are there at least once a week.

The guy that's renting our house now is an Air Force Police Officer though, so he's held his own quite well with them lol.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

GraciaKai wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

You and me both!

They must not have tv. Or internet. Or books. Or anything.