| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: deactivated facebook
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I have no idea how long I'll hold out. But I've never done something so simple that has taken me away from so many temptations. What are other people in the forum's relationship with the brainsucktimebook?

Post subject: Re: deactivated facebook
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Man. Man, oh man. I've tried to quit, and I just can't stay away. I made a big "goodbye" announcement and then decided, well I can still look at it, I just can't post, and then I figured I could post comments but not status updates, and that turned into me just posting links, and then I was all the way off the wagon, into the black hole.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I only grudgingly use it to begin with.

Out of curiosity, when did you start using facebook, and had you been using other social network-like systems before it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:15 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Eh. I like FB. I keep in touch with people I wouldn't otherwise. I don't spend that much time on it. There's not anything to do there for me but read updates and post myself.

Panda With Cookie

Last edited by pandacookie on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:16 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

solipsistnation wrote:
I only grudgingly use it to begin with.

Out of curiosity, when did you start using facebook, and had you been using other social network-like systems before it?

That was probably directed at the OP, but I'll answer, too... I started using Livejournal when I was fourteen, then Myspace when I was seventeen, and Facebook when I was twenty-two. (eta: I'm 24 now) The way I use social networking has changed a lot over the years, though- now I mostly talk to people I know in real life on facebook, as opposed to internet-only friends in communities on LJ.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pandacookie wrote:
Eh. I like FB. I keep in touch with people I wouldn't otherwise. I don't spend that much time on it. There's not anything to do there for me but read updates and post myself.

Yeah, same. And I find out about a lot of real-world social events that I would otherwise have missed. Not that I take advantage of them often, but it's nice to know what's going on in the neighborhood.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

hoveringdog™ wrote:
Yeah, same. And I find out about a lot of real-world social events that I would otherwise have missed. Not that I take advantage of them often, but it's nice to know what's going on in the neighborhood.

This. I love Facebook, not only to keep up with friends on the other side of the country or people I can't call everyday, but I've been to a bunch of events and found new places to eat through Facebook.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

hoveringdog™ wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

I mostly use it to find out about vancouver events,
And if I need to make an event its really useful.

Oh, and sometimes I stalk.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:48 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I always think people that hate facebook must have really shitty friends. I love my facebook, I log on and see funny things written by funny people and I smile and laugh and type back and leave and come back later. If someone peas me off, I hide them from my feed and forget they exist.

That said, I did delete my FB once for about six months in freshman year of college and it wasn't a big deal. My friends continued to hang out with me, the sun rose every morning and set every night, I met new and interesting people and did things. Then I wanted back in the loop!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:12 am 
Baking In The Flavor

rant removed.

I'm not on facebook.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:15 am 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I luuuuurve facebook.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

PonyPal wrote:
Oh, and sometimes I stalk.

I have to spy on Interrobang and Vantine to make sure they're not talking trash about me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Spoiler: they are!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:21 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I should just delete mine already. I did once, and I was off it entirely for 3-4 years, but then I let myself get talked into signing up again. I know it's a big waste of my time, and yet I am sucked in by it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Fee wrote:
Spoiler: they are!

I'm not the one who brought up inseams. . .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Are you all playing Farmville or something? I'm not sure where the time wasting concern comes in. I'm on there for maybe fifteen minutes or twenty minutes a day tops, but during that time, I'm seeing what my friends are up to, writing a few comments, generally being social. I'm sure I waste at least that much time in a day doing things far more pointless than catching up with friends.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:31 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm another fan of Facebook. It helps me keep in contact with people I'd never keep in contact with because I am super afraid of talking on the phone to people (friends, family, everybody). I post when I want and don't when I don't feel like it. I've been doing social networking of some kind since '03 and it's never been a huge time suck for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:50 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Fee wrote:
I always think people that hate facebook must have really shitty friends. I love my facebook, I log on and see funny things written by funny people and I smile and laugh and type back and leave and come back later. If someone peas me off, I hide them from my feed and forget they exist.

That said, I did delete my FB once for about six months in freshman year of college and it wasn't a big deal. My friends continued to hang out with me, the sun rose every morning and set every night, I met new and interesting people and did things. Then I wanted back in the loop!

Pretty much. The times I think about deactivating my social networking accounts are when my friends are being stupid about things like common courtesy, and are all around lacking basic social grace.

But that only happens occasionally. Most of the time I love Facebook!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:53 am 
Nailed to the V

I like facebook too, the only time I found it to be a big waste of time is when I was playing farmville. But that's long gone for me and now it's pretty fantasic and keeps me connected to people I may otherwise never talk too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:56 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I think I hate it because it keeps me connected to people. I feel stupid every time I post anything, and I find my friends' posts stupid, too. I guess I do have shitty friends.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:20 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Facebook becomes less awesome when you have trauma in your past that are connected to certain people or groups. You can't escape it and that sucks.

For those of you who have yet to lose an important relationship or connection -- it can be a huge reminder of what is lost.

Maybe I read too many issues of adbusters over the past ten years, but to me there are overtones of commodification of people. Zuckerberg owns everything you post on there and better believe he is selling it.

I also think it encourages superficiality and can make people really lazy about their relationships.

There are studies now linking it to depression. http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/201001 ... _sys.shtml ; http://healthland.time.com/2011/01/27/y ... you-think/

I know there are really good aspects to facebook and I am sad to be missing out on those aspects. But the concerns I have in general (social / political), coupled with the fact that it is unduly triggering for me means I am mostly at peace with my decision to not be on it. (edited from "happy" to "mostly at peace")

I really wish people were less rah-rah because it kind of rubs it in the face of people who would like to use it, but for whom it isn't such a good thing to have.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:33 am 
Nailed to the V

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. On one hand it's given me a chance to reconnect with old friends. I've been out bowling with some high school friend a few times and had a great time. Would never had happened without Facebook.
On the other hand it's allowed old friends to accuse me (I believe while drunk ) of not only being a hors d'oeuvre but a bad hors d'oeuvre. I could have done without that. Plus I get continuous updates of my ex's wonderful happy life! (Vom)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:00 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

One day, I realized I had close to 200 "friends" on facebook. I sat down and thought about it, and decided that the overwhelming majority of those people could go. That I didn't really care about them, nor did they need to know anything about me. So I had a massive defriending, and now I am only friends with 70 people. And probably half of that is family (I have a really big extended family, on both sides).

I enjoy using facebook much more now. Before I felt that I had to censor my posts because I didn't want to offend anyone. Now I pretty much post what I want. And yes, it is usually some what self-centered. I won't lie. I'm awesome, and I have awesome opinions, and my friends all think so too. I was away from the internet due to some travel recently, and when I came back I had messages asking me where me and my witty status updates had went.

So for me facebook is a good thing. I keep in touch with out of state family and friends, and have Sally Field "You like me. You really, really like me!" moments.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:21 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I hella heart Facebook and I can't imagine deactivating

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If Zuckerberg wants to sell pictures of my cats, I fully support him. Make my cats famous, Z-man!

I can see how young people could get sucked into an unhealthy relationship with Facebook, but in the end, it's just a website. It's a resource that can be a great tool or remind you of shitty people in your life; it all depends on how you use it.