| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rental Car Woes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Has anyone else been dealing with dubious rental car companies? The last two times I rented a car, they have been so shady. The first time, the agent who gave me the car short-cutted the inspection process at night outside because it was freezing, and then when I returned the car, they told me I had damaged the paint on the front bumper even though it was already there. It took hours on the phone with customer service to open a dispute, and then they just never contacted me again. This last time, another agency offered me a specific make after we prepaid for an economy model, so I said fine, and then charged me a $120 upgrade fee without telling me it was an upgrade. On top of that, they charged $53 to fill up the half-empty gas tank after telling me that the gas would be charged to me at $2.89 a gallon. I'll be on the phone with them Monday, but I don't have much hope. These are -- I thought -- nationally reputable companies. Ugh.

Post subject: Re: Rental Car Woes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:08 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Someone here once posted how shady the rental car company they worked for was. I can't remember who it was...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

The last time I rented a car for work it was from Enterprise. I will never rent from them again. First, they didn't have any cars available when I came at my stated time, despite my having made the reservation several days in advance. They refused to go to another location to get one for me, so I just had to wait until something remotely acceptable to me was returned (and it wound up being a huge SUV that I really wasn't very comfortable driving, nor did they offer me a discount for not having the size vehicle I wanted). They have all of these commercials about how if you have a problem, they'll make it right. Yeah right! I did point this out to them when I returned the vehicle and they wound up giving us one night free, but only at my suggestion. After all of that, they just did the same thing to my boss the other day (I don't know why he went back there).
I work for a non-profit and gave them my tax-exempt form at the time of my rental. They kept the form, as they should. Weeks later, they charged the tax to our credit card, claiming that I didn't give them a tax-exempt form. They never would have run it as tax-exempt if I hadn't given them the form. I called, they said I needed to fax them the form. I did so. Do you think that they refunded the tax to our credit card? Of course not. They never had any authorization to run our credit card a second time. Ugh. This was my work credit card and my boss doesn't feel like arguing with them about it anymore, but yeah....completely shady.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:45 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Try sending it in to consumerist.com, and/or the attorney general of the state where you live.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:49 pm 
WRETCHED

I get a large discount with Avis so I always use them. I've never had a bad experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

solipsistnation wrote:
Try sending it in to consumerist.com, and/or the attorney general of the state where you live.

I'll try their customer service first, but have little hope. Next we'll dispute the charges on the CC and contact the BBB.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'll say that last time we rented a car, it was from Enterprise and I had reserved a mid-size car, Ford Fusion or equivalent. They gave us a freaking Kia Soul, because that's all they had left in or below our rental class. They had SUVs as well, but they said they were going to charge us a bunch extra. I don't see why they couldn't have given me one of the several brand new Kia Optimas they had sitting in their lot...

I guess it's not a real complaint, but I definitely wasn't expecting to be renting a hamster-mobile when the comparable model was a fairly standard sedan. Blech.

ETA: I don't mean to offend anyone who has a Kia Soul! It was actually a fun little car, just not really what we wanted/expected.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

"You know how to MAKE the reservation, you just don't know how to KEEP the reservation"

Or something like that. I had kind of an opposite, but still shady, experience in Seattle where the company tried really hard to upsell us a luxury sedan when we got there; we politely but steadfastly refused. Turns out that was all they had, so in the end they gave it to us at the price of the car we had signed up for. Which was actually awesome, because there were 3 of us traveling with luggage, and the bigger car made the trip a lot nicer. Ha ha!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:20 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Enterprise in North America have forked me before. online quote was not even close to what they made me pay in-person. I've rented from several other big name companies and haven't had any issue at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:52 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I used to do rental cars and I enjoyed Hertz and hated Enterprise. Hertz people are quirky but very nice and enterprise suck and are weird in the bad way. Hertz, I think, is more franchise based. Are you going to airport rental lots of smaller, neighbourhood ones?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Both were at the St. Louis airport!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I rent from one company because I get a work-related discount. I've never had a problem but I always walk around with them when they are inspecting the car. I try to make certain that every spot is noted before I leave. Check the paperwork that you got when you rented the car. It should have the per-day fee and the per-gallon cost for gas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:38 am 
Saggy Butt

I have a friend who works at Enterprise in the call center, I'd hate to ever have to do his job. They get points for selling upgades and are timed on every call. And if you call one and decide to go with a different company don't be surprised if same person answeres your call, Enterprise owns at least three other rental companies. Only a few dollars above minimum wage, they don't really care as long as they make their numbers so they can bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:47 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

celyn wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

I'll try their customer service first, but have little hope. Next we'll dispute the charges on the CC and contact the BBB.

The BBB mostly doesn't do anything. Disputing the charges will at least get your money back...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:53 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Did you use Amex to rent the car? If so just call them and they will handle the dispute for you. Amex is mean to merchants but fab for customers. I'm not sure what company you're having trouble with, but if you'll be frequently going through St. Louis it will be a good idea for you to join either hertz #1 gold or national emerald club. It saves you a lot of hassle. National is usually less expensive but if you are renting often, hertz has way better upgrades.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i had a terrible experience with enterprise a few years ago when i needed a car for a week. it was like 30/day, free mileage.
first car had a bad electrical system. it was unsafe. they couldn't give me a new one, or come out to tow it, i had to drive it an hour to drop it off and get a new one.
i used that one, and when i went to return it, on my way to the airport to catch an international flight, my total was now three times what the 30/dayx10days would have been [apparently my exchange was paid request to upgrade, though it was the same model, and now i was paying for gas and mileage and another daily rate, even though i signed no contract], and they couldn't account for it, no manager available to talk to, just sign the form or miss my flight (then, hard to contest from out of the country). so i paid up, like a sucker, but i had to get home, what could i have done? i don't know what the hell their deal was but i will never, ever ever use them again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:44 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

solipsistnation wrote:
celyn wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

The BBB mostly doesn't do anything. Disputing the charges will at least get your money back...

Not true. I have settled claims through the BBB.