| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: The welcome thread for new members!
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:28 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hi There! I have been vegetarian the majority of my life, and vegan since 2008 after reading Vegan Freak. I look forward to meeting others here who 'get it', and learning to cook more delicious foods... I am currently working within the framework of the book Eat to Live. I cannot wait to peruse this site- it looks like good times...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Welcome all! I love reading all the ways everyone has stumbled upon ppk!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:07 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hello, I'm Liz! I've been visiting the PPK website for 3 or so years, but I've just decided to join the forums today.

Pertinent information:
  • I like cats.
  • I have a fine collection of witch hats.
  • I've been meatless since age 13, in part due to some traumatic events (pig roasts are SUPER disturbing, guys, especially to a four year-old), but mostly due to self righteousness (my mother called me on being a hypocrite for disagreeing with the use of fur but still eating meat, and I wasn't about to let that challenge stand).
  • I get misty eyed during some Pure Michigan advertisements.
  • I have almost perfected my Charleston.
  • I use caps for emphasis or to convey excitement. While that is technically representative of a raised voice, it does not necessarily denote a voice raised in anger - I'm just enthusiastic and high spirited.
  • Lucille Ball and Katharine Hepburn are my spirit animals.
  • Despite disliking the color orange, I really dig mangoes, carrots, and sweet potatoes.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

catintheattic wrote:
Hello, I'm Liz! I've been visiting the PPK website for 3 or so years, but I've just decided to join the forums today.

Pertinent information:
  • I like cats.
  • I have a fine collection of witch hats.
  • I've been meatless since age 13, in part due to some traumatic events (pig roasts are SUPER disturbing, guys, especially to a four year-old), but mostly due to self righteousness (my mother called me on being a hypocrite for disagreeing with the use of fur but still eating meat, and I wasn't about to let that challenge stand).
  • I get misty eyed during some Pure Michigan advertisements.
  • I have almost perfected my Charleston.
  • I use caps for emphasis or to convey excitement. While that is technically representative of a raised voice, it does not necessarily denote a voice raised in anger - I'm just enthusiastic and high spirited.
  • Lucille Ball and Katharine Hepburn are my spirit animals.
  • Despite disliking the color orange, I really dig mangoes, carrots, and sweet potatoes.

Welcome! I think you'll fit right in here.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:12 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Thank you! I was nearly driven to a coma of adorableness earlier while perusing the pictures of pets thread. I love it.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:03 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Hi everyone!

I'm Caroline and moved to Canada from the ol' UK a few years ago. I've been a lacto/ovo vegetarian for almost 7 years now but love to eat and cook vegan whenever I can. I thought I would come out of the lurker closet and make some new friends : )

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:55 am 
Tofu Pup

Hello Guys and Gals,

My name's Gillian and I have recently moved to England (Hampshire) from Scotland. I was mostly veggie for around a year before making a full switch to veganism in March 2012. I love cooking, baking, growing herbs on my windowsill, getting creative with Fimo (I like to make my own earrings), cycling and running. I'm especially interested in getting involved in community events and sharing tips and tricks on the Interwebs!

See you around :D

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:50 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi -- I'm posting so's I don't get deleted. Went vegan about two weeks ago. I can't believe how much better I feel. I still have cravings for meat. One thing I'm going to try for that is molasses tea. Just mix some hot water with a tablespoon of molasses and stir in almond milk for a wonderful and quick creamy drink! It's good all year -- in summer on ice, in winter hot. When I researched molasses on earthclinic.com, I realized it was good for just about all the ailments I had, so I hope it will help with the meat cravings too.

Haven't lost much weight, maybe a couple of pounds. I'm looking forward to losing weight on this diet as well (if I can stay off sugar!). Am also gluten free, which has helped me shed some weight. All in all I'm psyched about going vegan!

One final interesting note. I had wondered if I should go vegan or continue to eat meat, perhaps more of a "primal type" diet. I really wanted to lose 20 lbs. Without really giving it a lot of thought or consideration, I became vegan because it suddenly seemed like the best and only option. It was like the answer was delivered to me, very directly, from a higher source. There was no question about it. Just the knowledge and trust that it was the very best way to go.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:28 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hi, I'm Kathleen. My husband and I are vegans, have been for about a year and a half. We live in Northern VA with our cat Nikki who rules the household with one paw. We are big fans of Isa's cooking and look forward to the new cookbook!

Kathleen

p.s. I haven't had a tater tot in about 30 years but like them.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone! I've been lurking these forums for a few years but only recently decided to join as a member (again. I actually was a member for a while, but didn't realize that I had signed out and was reading it anonymously. Tried signing in again and poof! No longer a user). Hopefully this post saves me from a similar fate :) Love to read all the ways people are vegan and my favorite boards have to do with food.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:16 am 
Tofu Pup

New member. Love tator tots but only eat them every blue moon or so... with black bean and quinoa burgers.

Total work out freak and kicking the butt of those who believe that only meat eaters can lift weights!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:01 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'm new, too! :D
I'm a German computer science [in media, but I don't like that part so I only visit the courses I have to...] university student. I've been vegetarian for about 6 or 7 years (though I never liked meat anyway, minced meat and sausages were the only things I have eaten in my life...) and switched to vegan a little over a year ago. That was also about the time when I discovered my love for cooking and baking. I moved out of my parent's house at 17 (3 years ago now) and my mom is always exited when I come to visit cause she really likes what I cook :D But she's also a great vegan cook and all my family are luckily very open-minded (except for my little brother, but well, he's 17, it can only get better...)
I also started running a few months ago and I really enjoy that :-)
At the moment, I'm totally looking forward to going to Montreal in August as a visiting student (fall term) - getting exited!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:05 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Hi All,
I'm newish to the forum, just joined last week. I have however been lurking about since the end of last year. I am a vegetarian but aspire to be vegan. I find it hard sometimes when I go out to eat to get anything aside from salads as there arent many vegan friendly restaurants or options here in Pittsburgh. I do my best though.

I do love tater tots and have fond memories of $.50 servings of them from high school!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:24 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Sup PPK;

New here, been lurking for a few weeks since I made Isa's DELICIOUS beet burgers and decided to finally check out this site in more detail than an occasional browse for recipes. I'm 26, from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Been vegan since I was 19 (just woke up one day and thought it seemed like a good idea in all my 19-year-old wisdom - some of my friends had gone veg so it wasn't such a foreign concept anymore - then I educated myself within a week by reading a bunch of vegan nutrition books and came up with some real reasons for going vegan). I struggled along with beans and rice for a few years but my recipe stash has been growing as has my savvy with making recipe mods and I now have something that could be called variation in my diet which makes me happy. Recently was diagnosed with a soy allergy (the reason I'd been having abdominal pain for 2 years) so that was a blow to my recipe collection but I've managed and become more savvy in the kitchen for it.

Hoping for some more awesome recipe ideas and maybe a few local vegan connections as I don't know any vegans here (not that my omni friends are rude about my diet but sometimes they don't get it and it makes it hard to go out anytime there's food involved)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

How do to everybody, new to the forums, been vegan again for a little over a year. I'm just now taking the nutrition approach, trying to lose some weight, eat healthier, etc.
I'm married, I have a daughter who's 9 months, we're raising her vegan! Hooray!
I love Morrissey, I live in Fort Worth... that's it, let's post!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

Oh and PS my real name is Tyler.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:39 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hi
Lisa at the shore in NJ...with my 2 wacky cats (Daisy and Kokopelli)....went back to school at age 40 (masters in nutrition) and said "who wants a fat nutritionist"? I went on a diet and lost my taste for meat. Watched a few movies and now I get sad images in my head when I see meat. I'm not vegan but admire your resolve and standing firm on your principles.
I stumbled across Isa looking for recipes to stop me from eating so much cheese and pasta. I have almost every book she wrote (I think I purposely avoid the pie book). I call myself the most vegan non-vegan.
The people who visit her FB page welcome us - unlike some organizations. Bashing an omni as they do won't work - educating and sneaking tasty alternatives in helps your cause - like a stealth!
The only recipe I made I didn't like was a cheese sauce. She even mentions not everyone digs the "nooch". I'm one of them.
My favorite has to be the plain ole chocolate cupcake. I make them all the time without variation because they are perfect just the way they are (my niece and nephew agree). Pumpkin cheesecake - it is BETTER than the dairy version. I took the time to make the seitan roast which tasted like sausage (that's bizarre for the first time - to mix a few things up and say OMG it tastes like meat)...One of these days I am making sausage and peppers this way...Sanctuary dip - fabulous.
I've come to learn that tofu isn't gross and squishy if you handle it properly.
So I guess I've been lurking around here learning new things for about a year. If you're ever down the Jersey shore let me know...there are a few vegan places down here that do a great job.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:42 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Eudemonia wrote:
Sup PPK;

New here, been lurking for a few weeks since I made Isa's DELICIOUS beet burgers and decided to finally check out this site in more detail than an occasional browse for recipes.

I saw the beet burgers and said no way. However every comment I have seen about them is about how delicious they are.
It looks like I should take a chance!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:56 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

hi y'all. just posting so i don't get deleted (again). i lurk when i am in need of cooking inspiration, finally getting my kitchen groove back after having twins a year and a half ago. i am vegetarian (can't kick my greek yogurt habit) but my husband has been vegan/straight edge for 22 (gulp!) years now and i love cooking for him.
lisaleem-try the beet burgers!!! we live in columbus,ohio and a local restaurant ,northstar cafe, makes them and they are the best veggie burgers i have ever had and i am NOT a beet lover by any means.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:37 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Lindsay this is the perfect weekend to try them. I need relax - and cooking does that for me.
Now I can't wait to go shopping

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:09 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

The only critique I have of the beet burgers is that they don't hold together very well but they're delicious - just eat them over a plate. I added a chia egg to help mine hold together better last time I made them and that helped them hold together more but it also made their texture mushier. Still not sure if I like them better with or without chia (my mouth says without but my clothes and floor says with).

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey! I'm Sara Beth and have been a vegan since october and am loving it :) I have been reading these fourms since about then and decided today that I should stop lurking and join in the conversation. I also enjoy working out ( just started p90x today), cooking, and spending time with my animals ( we have 1 horse, 2 goats, 2 dogs, and a cat)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi there everyone!

My name is Amirah, but you can call me shaman or shamandalie. I've been vegetarian for about six years and just two days ago i've turned vegan. I know it's gonna be hard, mainly cause i don't have many supportive people around me and the difficulty of getting vegan options in such a repressive place where i live. I had armed myself with 5 vegan cookbooks (one of the books mentioned this site, and yes, i live on the interwebs :P) from the library hoping i could make them for work. :)

Hoping to make many great friends here!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:25 am 
Tofu Pup

hey there i'm a n00b.. =)

EVERYTHING of isa's i have ever made has been delicious and when i say everything i mean EVERYTHING!

can't wait to shoot the shiitake with you all..

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi, all!

My name is Allie and I'm from Brooklyn, NY. I made the switch to veganism about a month ago and I went cold turkey (tofurkey?). I've been basically living off Isa's and Terry's books so I do not miss my old diet whatsoever. (Everything I've made has been delicious and perfect! Except the Banana-Nut Waffles from Veganomicon, but that's entirely the fault of my waffle iron. I make the batter and cook 'em as pancakes instead! Yum.)

So far, my veganism is in diet only: I'm a knitter and I have a lot of wool yarn in my possession that I intend to knit before I make the switch to fully non-wool knitting. Currently, though, I'm working on a cardigan that's knit with organically-grown and gently-dyed cotton yarn! So I get some bonus points, maybe, for making an effort? (I'm also on Ravelry! My username is alevtina there, too.)

I'm looking forward to learning lots from you guys and making new friends!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 1556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 63  Next