| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 536  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:12 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

TurningVioletViolet wrote:
(gahhh deleted it-- vented about showing up to "oh everyone is sooo friendly!" vegan events and nobody is friendly and just ignore the awkward looking people standing around on their own, trying to break in to groups. It's high school all over again)

I know how that is! I go into such situations thinking that I will get new friends and leave feeling like a loser!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, that's good to know. . . must have been a label error. Now I can keep buying it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:51 pm 
Semen Strong

I hate that every dish served to omnis has to be an Ambassador For Veganism. It has to prove veganism is delicious (contrary to popular opinion) and that its easy, doesn't use crazy ingredients and js at least moderately healthy so it sends the message "You Too Could Eat This Way!"

That is a ton of pressure on the cook and the dish. My husband has recently started to eat my cooking regularly, so I keep trying to "make a good impression" with each dinner. This week, we had sweet potatoes and black bean chili over cilantro scented rice, chickpea saag over coconut rice, artichokes in a creamy sauce over pasta and tonight its chickpea cutlets, broccoli almondine and cornbread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm 
WRETCHED

Everyone, to Tofulish's house!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:59 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

linanil wrote:
Everyone, to Tofulish's house!

Right?! That sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah seriously, Tofulish I will gladly eat your cooking.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:41 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish's dinners remind me of how damn lazy I have become regarding food. Even my "gourmet" dishes of old weren't that fancy! Thank the Lard for white rice, frozen peas, and soy sauce (alternatively canned beans and jarred salsa), saving my asparagus all the damn time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

A girl I used to work with posted on her facebook if anyone knows any fancy vegan dishes she can ask the caterer to serve at her wedding because she wants a vegan option available, as well as a seafood option. She got a lot of nasty comments about it! Just for wanting to have an option!

I'm never getting married.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:35 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Shy Mox wrote:
A girl I used to work with posted on her facebook if anyone knows any fancy vegan dishes she can ask the caterer to serve at her wedding because she wants a vegan option available, as well as a seafood option. She got a lot of nasty comments about it! Just for wanting to have an option!

i say get married if you want to, and ask everyone you know to suggest good vegan entrees beforehand; it will help you narrow down your invite list. who wants people like that at their party?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

People are awful. I hope you praised her for being compassionate enough and a good enough hostess that she's willing to accommodate all of her (potential) guests.

This actually reminds me of something that happened today. My organisation puts on information days, and the comms team were writing up the info about registration, etc. They were trying to figure out the wording for the "special diets" bit, and the first idea thrown out was, "A vegetarian option will be provided. If you have any other dietary needs, we suggest you bring your lunch." This is a full-day thing that people pay to attend, and lunch is meant to be part of the cost. Being the only actual veg*n in the building (all of my "vegetarian" co-workers eat fish), I said that I wouldn't attend an event that made me pay for a lunch that wasn't being provided. Luckily they eventually changed the wording, but still.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:49 pm 
Semen Strong

I'm alternately really happy that he is eating vegan food and that we are eating as a family, and annoyed at all the extra work to make it an "Ambassador Meal." If its just me and L we are happy with the hearty soups that I make and we eat for a couple of days and quinoa with veggies and beans in esme's sauce. She and I basically have enough leftovers for two meals and when B eats with us there are no left overs (except maybe a bit for lunch the next day or to throw in the morning's tofu scramble).

And another pet peeve - whenever someone doesn't like the vegan food you make, they attribute it to the fact that the food is vegan not that you have different palates. I like my food spicy, bright and complicated in terms of flavors and textures. I like acidic sauces and I really love sour notes in what I cook. But B was raised with salty, sweet and creamy as his preferred tastes. But instead of thinking that we have different palates, it becomes, "Oh I don't like vegan food."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:10 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

First paragraph of one profile of a boston athlete:
Quote:
Riding a bicycle is all about balance. Exhibit A: Roy. There's a certain gentleness to this Arlington-based massage therapist, who specializes in deep-tissue and sports massage. She's also vegan, a lifestyle influenced by her upbringing on a Topsfield farm, where freshly plucked organic veggies were always what's-for-dinner.

First paragraph of another profile, of a non-vegan:
Quote:
Building a better body is much like building a business: both require targeted goals and unwavering dedication. Just ask Regis Diallo, founder of 1-800-Personal-Trainers. Fitness is a lifelong passion for Diallo, who grew up in France and Burkina Faso, where he says his uncle ran one of the country's only two gyms. After moving to New England for college, he launched his business with a little cash and a big idea. "I picked the name because it sounds like a big company," explains Diallo. "You might think there are 200 trainers; there are 10 of us!"

I guess it's not a huge pet peeve and it's kind of awesome to know that this cyclocross champ in Boston is vegan, but.. well, no one else's mentions diet!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Shy Mox wrote:

Or, get married and have an all-vegan menu and be amused that a certain relative who tries to sneak tiny bits of chicken and dairy into your soup at Christmas will now, for the first time in her eighty years of life, have a dinner without animal in it.

I'm just sayin.'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:12 pm 
Nooch of Earl

To the vegan ambassador's house!! Tlish, we'll take a table for two and a half.

There's probably another thread about the link specifically, but my peeve today is that everyone on FB is posting that stupid article blaming vegans for using quinoa as a meat substitute and deforesting most of Bolivia with our insatiable tofu appetite.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

acr wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

i say get married if you want to, and ask everyone you know to suggest good vegan entrees beforehand; it will help you narrow down your invite list. who wants people like that at their party?

that's true! screw them!

i just didn't tell anyone that our whole wedding was going to be vegan. I figured most people would assume it would be. there was tempeh and quinoa salad and seitan, so whoever didn't realize it at first, certainly realized it by the time they got to the buffet table. OOPS! if you have sane relatives and friends they really cant say anything AT your wedding.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My mother was warning everyone on my side of the family. I was like, mom, we got bids from the best independent caterers in Chicago. You know who used to use my caterer? The Obamas. You know what every other family wedding has had? The whatever hotel default caterer's meal of chicken boob, green beans, and potatoes. You know who's still getting compliments on how good her wedding food was 8 years later?

And as far as these things go I found that decent caterers loved the novelty and challenge of designing a vegan meal. We got some fantastic bids.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I messaged her and let her know that I think its really cool she's having the option and with all the horror stories I've heard about what vegans get at weddings I'm sure whatever she picks out will be amazing. I just find it so crazy that just having the mere option grinds people's gears and they went on and on about how vegan food can't be fancy.

I'm half joking about the wedding thing, although really the way my family is I'm sure it'll be awkward and unpleasant no matter what's served XD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tofulish wrote:
My husband has recently started to eat my cooking regularly

This is possibly the best news I've heard all day!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ijustdiedinside wrote:
i just didn't tell anyone that our whole wedding was going to be vegan. I figured most people would assume it would be. there was tempeh and quinoa salad and seitan, so whoever didn't realize it at first, certainly realized it by the time they got to the buffet table. OOPS! if you have sane relatives and friends they really cant say anything AT your wedding.

That's what I'm doing! A few people who know me have asked, but when they hear about the cuisine (Indian), they don't really care. Whatever, I'm paying for most of it!

You know what I really dislike? 99% of tofu scrambles. I know I'm vegan and I'm supposed to be SO appreciative of them, but just yuck. I don't like mushed up tofu and boring ingredients such as sauteed bell peppers (barf) and button mushrooms. If you want to make me a crazy spicy scramble with tonnes of chilis and interesting vegetables then I might be excited, but the average tofu scramble grosses me out. And I really like tofu, just mostly in marinated and fried or broiled style rather than tossed around in a skillet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 am 
Flounceiad 2011

choirqueer wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
My husband has recently started to eat my cooking regularly
This is possibly the best news I've heard all day!! :D
Agreed! While I understand your frustration with feeling pressured to provide "ambassador meals" - awesome coinage, BTW - I'm happy that Mr 'Fulish has wised up and started chowing down on what you're serving up. (Nothing rude about that, you perverts!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We had a vegan wedding, and people loved it. Lasagna, asparagus, veggies, a big asparagus salad, some herbed potatoes, bread. Maybe a couple other things? I still get compliments and people saying how surprised they were that they couldn't tell it was vegan (which is annoying, but good, I guess). I did catch an uncle on my husband's side scarfing down pizza before the reception, because he anticipated starving to death. He's a picky non-vegetable-eater type though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:55 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annak wrote:
To the vegan ambassador's house!! Tlish, we'll take a table for two and a half.

There's probably another thread about the link specifically, but my peeve today is that everyone on FB is posting that stupid article blaming vegans for using quinoa as a meat substitute and deforesting most of Bolivia with our insatiable tofu appetite.

yeah this is really annoying me too. im like "really?"
people who claim to be "locavores" are all up in arms posting it like it's the gospel of somthing and im just like "eye roll"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 am 
WRETCHED

I wasn't vegan or even close to vegetarian when I had my wedding. I had 2 vegetarians come to the wedding so I wanted them to eat anything they wanted so everything except some grilled chicken was vegetarian. If someone wanted meat, they had that otherwise, they weren't getting anything else with meat in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 am 
Flounceiad 2011

creep wrote:
...I did catch an uncle on my husband's side scarfing down pizza before the reception, because he anticipated starving to death.
I think this may be my #1, all-time vegan pet peeve: the idea that ONE MEATLESS MEAL, on ONE DAY, out of a person's ENTIRE LIFE represents some enormous forking sacrifice on their part. Because you know what? Even if they got NOTHING TO EAT WHATSOEVER, I'm willing to bet money that they would not actually "starve to death." As heretical an assertion as it may be in a culture where gluttony is the national pastime, missing or even - GASP! - voluntarily skipping a meal will not result in immediate death. And when a person is invited to someone else's wedding, I think it's appropriate for them to act like grown-ups and at least pretend to care about something beyond what's going in their gob on an occasion that is not, in fact, about them. They should just eat the vegan meal already, or if they can't bring themselves to choke down anything that hasn't been tortured and exploited, they can get their calories at the bar and eat later. But either way, they need to shut the fork up.

(Wow. I feel better now! Maybe - just maybe - there have been a few too many family holidays on which "it just isn't Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter" without the carcass of some poor dead animal in the middle of the table.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:44 am 
***LIES!!!***

Rude relatives did actually say negative stuff at my (vegetarian, mostly vegan) wedding. But everyone else is still raving about the food, which was the best and most interesting wedding food I have ever seen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 536  Next