| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 546  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:55 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Tofu is not scary, but people showing that veganism is doable are. Vegans threaten their excuses and consequently their self-image.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:22 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9700
Location: Seattle
What happens when a smoker tells his smoking pals, "I'm thinking of quitting"? Do they say, "Good for you! I hope you make it!"?

Aren't they more likely to say all the same garbage aspiring vegans hear from their omni friends?

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:30 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19328
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Oh man, my Dad worked with a bunch of MDs (he is a PhD and was a biology professor), and when he'd try and quit, his colleagues would taunt him with cigarettes. He quit after he retired.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:34 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9700
Location: Seattle
It's threatening to see someone else make big changes. You (well, some of us) look at yourself and say, "Well, what's my problem? How come I'm not making the positive changes I know I should make?" It's easier to prevent the other guy from changing than it is to change yourself.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:23 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2834
Location: Boston, MA
FootFace wrote:
What happens when a smoker tells his smoking pals, "I'm thinking of quitting"? Do they say, "Good for you! I hope you make it!"?

Aren't they more likely to say all the same garbage aspiring vegans hear from their omni friends?

In my experience, this is not true at all. There are as many assumptions and myths about smokers as there are about vegans.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5499
Location: BRLA
Almost all of my friends smoke and when one of them says they're going to quit usually its just people saying something like "yeah I need to quit too" or talking about how much they've scaled back or need to scale back.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:11 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9700
Location: Seattle
So... Nice weather today, huh?

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:59 pm 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:15 pm
Posts: 1623
Location: Seattle!
Fee wrote:
Almost all of my friends smoke and when one of them says they're going to quit usually its just people saying something like "yeah I need to quit too" or talking about how much they've scaled back or need to scale back.

Not to derail farther, but every smoker I've ever met has always said, "Don't ever start." Or "Good on you for quitting."

As for vegany stuff, I'm sick of people apologizing for talking about their lunch in front of me. "I'm sorry you're vegan, but I had this DELICIOUS quesadilla at x lunch place today."
I...don't mind? Telling me somewhere has good food is nice?

_________________
"Its really hard to keep in shape, my prison of principles only has so much pacing space." - Shy Mox

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7227
Location: Modesto, CA
The Sriracha Lays have cheese in them....why!?!

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:55 pm 
Offline
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10877
Location: Illinoize
I saw those! A lot of flavored chips have milk in them, I don't know why. All I can think of is that it might help the seasonings stick to the chip better?

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:07 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 pm
Posts: 2366
Why is there no vegan toothpaste that is like those crazy, freshness-blasted, super sweet toothpastes turned out by P&G and whoever else? Every time I end up having to use toothpaste at someone else's house I'm like, "whoa!" And then I'm kind of sad to go back to my shitty hippie toothpaste.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5499
Location: BRLA
I was pretty sad that the sriracha lays weren't vegan, but I was kind of uber bummed that the chicken and waffles ones weren't.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 533
Location: TN
i was hanging out with some friends this weekend and one of them is due with her first child in a few weeks. she was joking that she'd like all of her friends to start having babies too and they suggested that i should be next. this was mostly a joke because they all know that while i love kids and i love working around children, i'm not interested in having any myself. but then my other friend goes on to say that raising a kid vegan would be unkind or inappropriate to the kid. i mean, i don't personally know what it'd be like to raise a kid to be vegan, but i think it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to want to raise your own kid vegan.... i just thought it was annoying that she was making all these assumptions about social and dietary repercussions when she's never considered the diet herself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:38 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
chouettes crêpes wrote:
i was hanging out with some friends this weekend and one of them is due with her first child in a few weeks. she was joking that she'd like all of her friends to start having babies too and they suggested that i should be next. this was mostly a joke because they all know that while i love kids and i love working around children, i'm not interested in having any myself. but then my other friend goes on to say that raising a kid vegan would be unkind or inappropriate to the kid. i mean, i don't personally know what it'd be like to raise a kid to be vegan, but i think it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to want to raise your own kid vegan.... i just thought it was annoying that she was making all these assumptions about social and dietary repercussions when she's never considered the diet herself.

Ugh this is so annoying. It's totally fine for every other parent to decide what goes into their kids' mouths, but as soon as that decision is based on non-religious ethics, it's inappropriate for the parent to make that decision for the kid. For some reason. Somehow.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:42 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10927
Location: Astoria, NY
missdelaney wrote:
Fee wrote:
Almost all of my friends smoke and when one of them says they're going to quit usually its just people saying something like "yeah I need to quit too" or talking about how much they've scaled back or need to scale back.

Not to derail farther, but every smoker I've ever met has always said, "Don't ever start." Or "Good on you for quitting."

As for vegany stuff, I'm sick of people apologizing for talking about their lunch in front of me. "I'm sorry you're vegan, but I had this DELICIOUS quesadilla at x lunch place today."
I...don't mind? Telling me somewhere has good food is nice?


i hate that, too! especially when people are like "oh, i wish you could just try one bite of this!"

Sometimes, when my husband gets a dessert that looks really yummy, I'll smell it. haha. but i try not to do that when other people are around because I don't want them to think that I'm sad about being vegan. I feel like that happens a lot. If i tell someone their non vegan food looks or smells good, they will make some comment that sounds like they feel sorry for me.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:46 pm 
Offline
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: ATX
Tried a new restaurant last night, a vegan-friendly kind of upscale Thai place. The waitress told me, "The vegetable spring rolls are vegan, you just have to get them without the carrots. They're marinated in fish sauce." What. At least it was pretty good food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:48 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5564
Location: United States of New England
chouettes crêpes wrote:
i was hanging out with some friends this weekend and one of them is due with her first child in a few weeks. she was joking that she'd like all of her friends to start having babies too and they suggested that i should be next. this was mostly a joke because they all know that while i love kids and i love working around children, i'm not interested in having any myself. but then my other friend goes on to say that raising a kid vegan would be unkind or inappropriate to the kid. i mean, i don't personally know what it'd be like to raise a kid to be vegan, but i think it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to want to raise your own kid vegan.... i just thought it was annoying that she was making all these assumptions about social and dietary repercussions when she's never considered the diet herself.


stuff like this makes me shoot fire out of my eyes. i think i told this story several pages back but when i announced on facebook that i am pregnant i posted a picture of the u/s and jokingly said something like "introducing the world's newest hippie, liberal, vegan!" cause everyone knows that im all 3 of those things. i tagged my husband cause you know he is the baby daddy ;-)

someone we barely know (ok i dont know them at all and my husband barely knows them) commented "congrats but please dont force your child to be a vegan"

WAT. i deleted the comment and my husband i believe unfriended him because even though my husband is still technically omni and is super laid back and normally wouldnt care about shiitake like that even HE thought it was wildly inappropriate.

cause raising compassionate children who think about what they put in their mouth is CHILD ABUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5564
Location: United States of New England
mandycoot wrote:
Tried a new restaurant last night, a vegan-friendly kind of upscale Thai place. The waitress told me, "The vegetable spring rolls are vegan, you just have to get them without the carrots. They're marinated in fish sauce." What. At least it was pretty good food.



fish sauce marinated carrots eh?
well that's a new one!
at least they knew what was in their food. most times i find people have no idea.

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:52 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5564
Location: United States of New England
ijustdiedinside wrote:


Sometimes, when my husband gets a dessert that looks really yummy, I'll smell it.


i will borderline snort pizza like it's cocaine. I LOVE THE SMELL OF PIZZA.
if my husband gets a pizza before he eats it im like "yeah im gonna need to shove my face in the box and sniff it for awhile"

that cant be normal.

i cant think of another food i do that with though.

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:10 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2621
Location: England
ijustdiedinside wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
Fee wrote:
Almost all of my friends smoke and when one of them says they're going to quit usually its just people saying something like "yeah I need to quit too" or talking about how much they've scaled back or need to scale back.

Not to derail farther, but every smoker I've ever met has always said, "Don't ever start." Or "Good on you for quitting."

As for vegany stuff, I'm sick of people apologizing for talking about their lunch in front of me. "I'm sorry you're vegan, but I had this DELICIOUS quesadilla at x lunch place today."
I...don't mind? Telling me somewhere has good food is nice?


i hate that, too! especially when people are like "oh, i wish you could just try one bite of this!"

Sometimes, when my husband gets a dessert that looks really yummy, I'll smell it. haha. but i try not to do that when other people are around because I don't want them to think that I'm sad about being vegan. I feel like that happens a lot. If i tell someone their non vegan food looks or smells good, they will make some comment that sounds like they feel sorry for me.


I often do a lot of sniffing of my husbands food. Mostly it is to try and get a sense of how to veganise it but it also just smells nice. I am so not one of those vegans that doesn't like the smell of meat or dairy.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:28 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1335
Location: Nova Scotia
Costco finally got tofu in again. I only knew because I saw a box of it in another person's cart today. I couldn't find it because it was smack dab in the middle of one of the processed meat coolers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:41 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3659
Location: Nashville, TN
missmuffcake wrote:
The Sriracha Lays have cheese in them....why!?!


I was so excited about these, I bought them without even checking the ingredients. I was so sad when I got home with them. I guess I'll take them to work. I'm always nommin on a coworker's dill pickle chips.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:41 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Usually when people are like "this so good you have to try this blah blah", I just tell them if that's good I'll just have to make the vegan version, and it will taste better cause nothing died or was abused to make it. if your going to rag on me about eating some non-vegan cake or burger, then I'll just remind them that there's a vegan version of just about everything, and it's better cause it's cruelty free.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:53 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9700
Location: Seattle
chouettes crêpes wrote:
i was hanging out with some friends this weekend and one of them is due with her first child in a few weeks. she was joking that she'd like all of her friends to start having babies too and they suggested that i should be next. this was mostly a joke because they all know that while i love kids and i love working around children, i'm not interested in having any myself. but then my other friend goes on to say that raising a kid vegan would be unkind or inappropriate to the kid. i mean, i don't personally know what it'd be like to raise a kid to be vegan, but i think it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to want to raise your own kid vegan.... i just thought it was annoying that she was making all these assumptions about social and dietary repercussions when she's never considered the diet herself.


And that's when you have a spite baby.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4697
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
FootFace wrote:
chouettes crêpes wrote:
i was hanging out with some friends this weekend and one of them is due with her first child in a few weeks. she was joking that she'd like all of her friends to start having babies too and they suggested that i should be next. this was mostly a joke because they all know that while i love kids and i love working around children, i'm not interested in having any myself. but then my other friend goes on to say that raising a kid vegan would be unkind or inappropriate to the kid. i mean, i don't personally know what it'd be like to raise a kid to be vegan, but i think it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to want to raise your own kid vegan.... i just thought it was annoying that she was making all these assumptions about social and dietary repercussions when she's never considered the diet herself.


And that's when you have a spite baby.


Spite babies have the most vitamin b

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 546  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: m.iau and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer