| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 546  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofu is not scary, but people showing that veganism is doable are. Vegans threaten their excuses and consequently their self-image.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:22 pm 
Grandfathered In

What happens when a smoker tells his smoking pals, "I'm thinking of quitting"? Do they say, "Good for you! I hope you make it!"?

Aren't they more likely to say all the same garbage aspiring vegans hear from their omni friends?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh man, my Dad worked with a bunch of MDs (he is a PhD and was a biology professor), and when he'd try and quit, his colleagues would taunt him with cigarettes. He quit after he retired.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:34 pm 
Grandfathered In

It's threatening to see someone else make big changes. You (well, some of us) look at yourself and say, "Well, what's my problem? How come I'm not making the positive changes I know I should make?" It's easier to prevent the other guy from changing than it is to change yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

FootFace wrote:
What happens when a smoker tells his smoking pals, "I'm thinking of quitting"? Do they say, "Good for you! I hope you make it!"?

Aren't they more likely to say all the same garbage aspiring vegans hear from their omni friends?

In my experience, this is not true at all. There are as many assumptions and myths about smokers as there are about vegans.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Almost all of my friends smoke and when one of them says they're going to quit usually its just people saying something like "yeah I need to quit too" or talking about how much they've scaled back or need to scale back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:11 pm 
Grandfathered In

So... Nice weather today, huh?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:59 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Fee wrote:
Almost all of my friends smoke and when one of them says they're going to quit usually its just people saying something like "yeah I need to quit too" or talking about how much they've scaled back or need to scale back.

Not to derail farther, but every smoker I've ever met has always said, "Don't ever start." Or "Good on you for quitting."

As for vegany stuff, I'm sick of people apologizing for talking about their lunch in front of me. "I'm sorry you're vegan, but I had this DELICIOUS quesadilla at x lunch place today."
I...don't mind? Telling me somewhere has good food is nice?

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

The Sriracha Lays have cheese in them....why!?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:55 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I saw those! A lot of flavored chips have milk in them, I don't know why. All I can think of is that it might help the seasonings stick to the chip better?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Why is there no vegan toothpaste that is like those crazy, freshness-blasted, super sweet toothpastes turned out by P&G and whoever else? Every time I end up having to use toothpaste at someone else's house I'm like, "whoa!" And then I'm kind of sad to go back to my shitty hippie toothpaste.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I was pretty sad that the sriracha lays weren't vegan, but I was kind of uber bummed that the chicken and waffles ones weren't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

i was hanging out with some friends this weekend and one of them is due with her first child in a few weeks. she was joking that she'd like all of her friends to start having babies too and they suggested that i should be next. this was mostly a joke because they all know that while i love kids and i love working around children, i'm not interested in having any myself. but then my other friend goes on to say that raising a kid vegan would be unkind or inappropriate to the kid. i mean, i don't personally know what it'd be like to raise a kid to be vegan, but i think it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to want to raise your own kid vegan.... i just thought it was annoying that she was making all these assumptions about social and dietary repercussions when she's never considered the diet herself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:38 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

chouettes crêpes wrote:
i was hanging out with some friends this weekend and one of them is due with her first child in a few weeks. she was joking that she'd like all of her friends to start having babies too and they suggested that i should be next. this was mostly a joke because they all know that while i love kids and i love working around children, i'm not interested in having any myself. but then my other friend goes on to say that raising a kid vegan would be unkind or inappropriate to the kid. i mean, i don't personally know what it'd be like to raise a kid to be vegan, but i think it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to want to raise your own kid vegan.... i just thought it was annoying that she was making all these assumptions about social and dietary repercussions when she's never considered the diet herself.

Ugh this is so annoying. It's totally fine for every other parent to decide what goes into their kids' mouths, but as soon as that decision is based on non-religious ethics, it's inappropriate for the parent to make that decision for the kid. For some reason. Somehow.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

missdelaney wrote:
Fee wrote:

Not to derail farther, but every smoker I've ever met has always said, "Don't ever start." Or "Good on you for quitting."

As for vegany stuff, I'm sick of people apologizing for talking about their lunch in front of me. "I'm sorry you're vegan, but I had this DELICIOUS quesadilla at x lunch place today."

i hate that, too! especially when people are like "oh, i wish you could just try one bite of this!"

Sometimes, when my husband gets a dessert that looks really yummy, I'll smell it. haha. but i try not to do that when other people are around because I don't want them to think that I'm sad about being vegan. I feel like that happens a lot. If i tell someone their non vegan food looks or smells good, they will make some comment that sounds like they feel sorry for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:46 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Tried a new restaurant last night, a vegan-friendly kind of upscale Thai place. The waitress told me, "The vegetable spring rolls are vegan, you just have to get them without the carrots. They're marinated in fish sauce." What. At least it was pretty good food.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

chouettes crêpes wrote:

stuff like this makes me shoot fire out of my eyes. i think i told this story several pages back but when i announced on facebook that i am pregnant i posted a picture of the u/s and jokingly said something like "introducing the world's newest hippie, liberal, vegan!" cause everyone knows that im all 3 of those things. i tagged my husband cause you know he is the baby daddy ;-)

someone we barely know (ok i dont know them at all and my husband barely knows them) commented "congrats but please dont force your child to be a vegan"

WAT. i deleted the comment and my husband i believe unfriended him because even though my husband is still technically omni and is super laid back and normally wouldnt care about shiitake like that even HE thought it was wildly inappropriate.

cause raising compassionate children who think about what they put in their mouth is CHILD ABUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

mandycoot wrote:
Tried a new restaurant last night, a vegan-friendly kind of upscale Thai place. The waitress told me, "The vegetable spring rolls are vegan, you just have to get them without the carrots. They're marinated in fish sauce." What. At least it was pretty good food.

fish sauce marinated carrots eh?
well that's a new one!
at least they knew what was in their food. most times i find people have no idea.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Sometimes, when my husband gets a dessert that looks really yummy, I'll smell it.

i will borderline snort pizza like it's cocaine. I LOVE THE SMELL OF PIZZA.
if my husband gets a pizza before he eats it im like "yeah im gonna need to shove my face in the box and sniff it for awhile"

that cant be normal.

i cant think of another food i do that with though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:10 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ijustdiedinside wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
Fee wrote:

i hate that, too! especially when people are like "oh, i wish you could just try one bite of this!"

Sometimes, when my husband gets a dessert that looks really yummy, I'll smell it. haha. but i try not to do that when other people are around because I don't want them to think that I'm sad about being vegan. I feel like that happens a lot. If i tell someone their non vegan food looks or smells good, they will make some comment that sounds like they feel sorry for me.

I often do a lot of sniffing of my husbands food. Mostly it is to try and get a sense of how to veganise it but it also just smells nice. I am so not one of those vegans that doesn't like the smell of meat or dairy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Costco finally got tofu in again. I only knew because I saw a box of it in another person's cart today. I couldn't find it because it was smack dab in the middle of one of the processed meat coolers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

missmuffcake wrote:
The Sriracha Lays have cheese in them....why!?!

I was so excited about these, I bought them without even checking the ingredients. I was so sad when I got home with them. I guess I'll take them to work. I'm always nommin on a coworker's dill pickle chips.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:41 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Usually when people are like "this so good you have to try this blah blah", I just tell them if that's good I'll just have to make the vegan version, and it will taste better cause nothing died or was abused to make it. if your going to rag on me about eating some non-vegan cake or burger, then I'll just remind them that there's a vegan version of just about everything, and it's better cause it's cruelty free.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:53 pm 
Grandfathered In

chouettes crêpes wrote:

And that's when you have a spite baby.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

FootFace wrote:
chouettes crêpes wrote:

And that's when you have a spite baby.

Spite babies have the most vitamin b

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 546  Next