| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425 ... 472  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:47 pm 
Married to the wolfman

That is a perplexing article.

For what it's worth, I have had reactive hypoglycemia my entire life (including back when I was omni, a billion years ago). Once I finally found out what was going on, it became fairly trivial to manage. The idea that one needs to eat meat to treat reactive hypoglycemia is kinda misleading. Higher protein, lower carb diets can be really good for managing it (fewer peaks & valleys) but there's like... there's no protective power inherent in meat.

ETA: and I wanted to add, I'm not dissing what works for her. If that's the baseline diet that makes her healthy, cool, you do what you gotta do. But it's a kinda weird blanket statement to say that everyone with blood sugar problems needs to drop the kale and pick up some beef.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:36 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
That is amazingly awful writing.
Amazingly awful.
Tofulish wrote:
And basically the whole thing is a giant public tantrum about her meaniepants sister.
And meat. SHE NEEDS MEAT SO MUCH AND EVERYONE MUST PROVIDE IT FOR HER BECAUSE HEALTH OR SOMETHING.
unpleasant whinging person wrote:
However, when I attended dinner parties at their houses, I had to bring my own meat dish because they do not buy or cook meat.
That's right, because they are vegetarians. What part of "vegetarian" don't she understand? If you go to a vegetarian's house for dinner, I think it's reasonable to assume you'll be served a meatless meal. If you can't handle that, refuse the invitation, or eat a burger first. Veg*ns have to do this sort of thing all the time, and it's actually not the end of the world.
While I can get by on a high-protein vegetarian meal for 1 meal per day, I can't do that every day. For optimum health, I should eat meat at least twice per day. If I don't get at least one meal with meat per day, I get symptoms by the next day. After several days of not enough meat, I can't even think.
So she should take responsibility for making sure she eats all the meats she needs/wants/imagines she requires to survive. This person sounds exactly like the imaginary vegan that omnivores are always on about. You know, the one who expects "the whole world" to accommodate their crazy dietary choices. Sheesh.
coldandsleepy wrote:
For what it's worth, I have had reactive hypoglycemia my entire life (including back when I was omni, a billion years ago). Once I finally found out what was going on, it became fairly trivial to manage. The idea that one needs to eat meat to treat reactive hypoglycemia is kinda misleading. Higher protein, lower carb diets can be really good for managing it (fewer peaks & valleys) but there's like... there's no protective power inherent in meat.
All of this. I have a vegetarian colleague with hypoglycemia and a truly astonishing variety of food allergies, and she manages to make it work. If this person wants to eat meat several times a day, that's her choice, but I call bullshiitake in terms of her "needing" to do so.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 am 
WRETCHED

I had hypoglycemia, or I guess I still have but I haven't had an episode in years. Prior to becoming vegan, eating a sandwich and then not eating within 3 hours would send my blood sugar diving. I'd get nauseous, dizzy, headachy and the worst part is I wouldn't want to eat. Basically, I had to be very careful about carby foods. When I went vegan, somehow this changed. I don't know why, I don't claim veganism fixed me but it is odd that these crashes were fairly predictable and required me to eat frequent meals as well as avoid things like bread.

That isn't the case now, I mean I'm glad, I don't know why but it coincided with me going vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:10 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Desdemona wrote:
However, when I attended dinner parties at their houses, I had to bring my own meat dish because they do not buy or cook meat.
That's right, because they are vegetarians. What part of "vegetarian" don't she understand? If you go to a vegetarian's house for dinner, I think it's reasonable to assume you'll be served a meatless meal. If you can't handle that, refuse the invitation, or eat a burger first. Veg*ns have to do this sort of thing all the time, and it's actually not the end of the world.

I love how she italicized that like it's earth-shattering news. Vegetarians don't want to cook you meat? And yet you will deign to cook things that aren't meat? Wow, they sure are crassholes!

I think it's accommodating to be like, "Hey, I don't buy or cook meat, but you can bring some to my house if you like". If it weren't for her health situation, bringing meat to a veg dinner would be so rude!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:55 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Amy wrote:
I love goats. I didn't realize they were very vocal, but any goat rescue ideas I had would have to wait a few years anyway.

But they're so cute! And so endearingly weird.

omg look at how cute that goat is~~ SQUEEEEEE!!!! that is the cutest goat i have ever seen!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

T has promised me that, in 25 years when I'm old enough to retire and have time for them and he's too old to care, we can have goats. Prettttty pumped about it.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

allularpunk wrote:
T has promised me that, in 25 years when I'm old enough to retire...

Just thinking about the idea that I have more than 30 years of work left gets me down. But, if I can get a house by age 37 (unlikely, but possible) then I could pay it off as I retire! I think I'd dread my middle years less if I liked my job more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just to chime in the anecdotal blood sugar stuff, I have MCADD, which causes hypoglycemia. I had low blood sugar in varying intensities pretty much every day of my entire life until going vegetarian, and even less frequently as a vegan. It still happens sometimes, but I don't have this overwhelming light-headedness that I used to get between meals frequently anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

I want in on the pet peeves too!

- When people think your inviting them to a vegetarian restaurant that doesn't offer a single meat item is the exact same thing as if they invited you to a restaurant where everything had meat. No, it is not the same, you fool. You can literally eat ANYthing on the menu of a vegetarian restaurant. I can eat NOTHING on the menu of the other. (My coworker actually used the word "persecution.")

- People posting photos of their meat (hee hee) on social media. I guess it's just getting warm enough for grilling, because I've been totally grossed out several times this past week by close up pictures of disgusting hunks of meat. I know that I can't even say anything about it, to anyone, because to most people it's not gross. BUT HOW IS IT NOT GROSS? I mean, think about what it is.

- When you are getting made fun of/joked about/argued with because of your veganism, and you get called "self righteous" or "militant" just because you respond in kind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:44 pm 
Grandfathered In

No, no. The vegan always started it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finding speculoos at the local grocery store, losing my mind with excitement, and then reading the ingredients.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Moon wrote:
Finding speculoos at the local grocery store, losing my mind with excitement, and then reading the ingredients.

OMG, I feel you. For me it was the Girl Scout Cookie imitations. I was SO FREAKING EXCITED to eat Samosas again. Then I read the ingredients and cried.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

What's wrong with speculoos?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr. Shankly wrote:
What's wrong with speculoos?

My version had milk - twice!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

What?! I've never even heard of that before!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:41 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just saw a brand that had milk. i think it was this brand. i was pretty bummed
http://www.shopwell.com/bahlsen-spekula ... 7056981920

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

coldandsleepy wrote:
That is a perplexing article.

ETA: and I wanted to add, I'm not dissing what works for her. If that's the baseline diet that makes her healthy, cool, you do what you gotta do. But it's a kinda weird blanket statement to say that everyone with blood sugar problems needs to drop the kale and pick up some beef.

Yeah. I have reactive hypoglycemia that is wacky and annoying to manage, but there's the same magical molecules in any kind of food - I can eat high protein and low carb as a vegan, no problemo.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:06 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Yeah, even here in the land of speculoos, not every brand is vegan. It's really only Lotus that I trust without checking the packaging and they just happen to be accidentally vegan, and they're also the brand that introduced speculoos spread to the world, so I think that's how speculoos got to be known as a vegan thing. But it's not like speculoos is by definition a vegan cookie.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:42 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I just saw a brand that had milk. i think it was this brand. i was pretty bummed
http://www.shopwell.com/bahlsen-spekula ... 7056981920

Spekulatius are a bit different from speculoos and many have butter and/or eggs. One variety is specifically called butter spekulatius.
These are my favourite brand and they are vegan!

http://www.borggreve-kekse.de/seitan/p_ ... ewuerz.htm

There seems to be a filter that changes "seit*n" (* = e) into "seitan". So Although I posted the correct link the page is not accesible if you don't correct that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 am 
Chard Martyr

I want goats too. I texted my husband as soon as the idea of rescue goats permeated.

It's annoying that organic and vegan are BFF but local and vegan have barely met.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lepelaar wrote:
Yeah, even here in the land of speculoos, not every brand is vegan. It's really only Lotus that I trust without checking the packaging and they just happen to be accidentally vegan, and they're also the brand that introduced speculoos spread to the world, so I think that's how speculoos got to be known as a vegan thing. But it's not like speculoos is by definition a vegan cookie.

The Lotus spread I buy is not only accidentally vegan, but it's actually labelled vegan! They know where their bread is buttered (or, in this case, speculoosed).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:20 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

my neighbor came over to talk last night, she asked me if i drank powdered milk, then said she bought 'veggann' ricemellow at the store...you want to share your powdered milk but not the product i can eat?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:42 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Why does a restaurant with tons of vegetarian options have exactly zero on the menu vegan options? Every single veggie option has CHEESE. Why?

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:39 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Mihl wrote:
These are my favourite brand and they are vegan!

http://www.borggreve-kekse.de/seitan/p_ ... ewuerz.htm

There seems to be a filter that changes "seit*n" (* = e) into "seitan". So Although I posted the correct link the page is not accesible if you don't correct that.

Moon, I have bought those at Dollarama! Of course, selection varies from time to time and store to store, but have a look if you have one nearby. Another place I have seen both vegan and non-vegan speculoos is in the "imported" or "ethnic" section of Sobeys or Superstore. Those are quite variable too (often based on nearby population, not surprisingly) so try different stores, if you have more than one to choose from.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:34 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

hearing how someone took something you made (vegan of course) and dumping a bunch of non-vegan shiitake on it like milk and yogurt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425 ... 472  Next