| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 728, 729, 730, 731, 732, 733, 734  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been trying to cook more from Isa Does It which of course means lots of cashew cream. Made broccoli soup today... Went to wash up the food processor... Parts of the plastic in the middle had melted! Where the blades go. I'd already made the soup so I ate it anyway but now I am worried about my food processor and whether I can use it again.

This is a vegan pet peeve because I was defeated by cashew cream.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:04 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My food processor was part of the big Cuisinart recall, not the whole thing, just the blade I use the most. I'm on a list to get another one, and I've been waiting six weeks. So my vegan pet peeve is that this REALLY puts a cramp in my cooking. I've been trying to make hummus in a blender (that is not a Vitamix).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The comments on EVERY VEGAN FOOD POST, EVER.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

raspberrycomplaint, those kind of comments are so very annoying! Why does veganism attract such people?! I just want to not hurt animals ffs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:06 pm 
Grandfathered In

I want not to hurt animals and I don't believe that seaweed and soy cause cancer or that wheat causes everyone's body to attack itself or that white sugar is "poison."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, PPK. I miss you so much! I missed you extra special hard tonight when I was at an event with this local vegan group that I keep forcing myself to participate in even though it's kind of a giant bummer. It's like meeting internet comment vegans in real life and I don't like it! But I still keep going?

My peeve is the PPK-shaped hole in my heart...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:03 pm 
Grandfathered In

Fill the hole by posting here. WE HAVE THE POWER!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hi, friend!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:33 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hi. I miss you, too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:11 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Me too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:39 am 
Taco Scientist

I was curious about something yesterday so I did a ppk search and found an old thread to read through. It made me SO SAD it was like having my awesome online friends again for a minute. BUT IT WAS A GHOST.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

People who cannot for the life of them comprehend why a vegan might want to eat something that tastes like a burger, or cheese, or other animal products. "But you're a vegan because you find meat disgusting, why would you want to replicate the taste?" yes, I find meat disgusting because it's a dead animal nothing to do with how it tastes. "But why do you want to pretend your food is meat! Just eat the real thing!" no, because this way I can have something that I like the taste of without killing anything! "BUT WHY!!!"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:43 pm 
BAD PASS

...yes, and I guess they must think burgers and hot dogs are naturally shaped that way, in nature.

Buddy, I'm just tryin' to make this fit on a bun.

Today's peeve is that I joined a local FB group called something like "Northwest Indiana Thrift Shop" and it's ...not what I thought it was going to be. It's full of people selling weird random things (now I know what all those couponers I always get stuck behind at CVS do with 47 bottles of hand soap!), but I didn't realize there was so much dog-selling, or people looking for studs to breed their dogs with. There's someone selling an adult cat for $300 "with all his papers." I've only seen one person say anything like, "Why are you getting rid of your companion animal?" or "Hey, maybe don't breed your dog because the shelters are full already," and he was immediately yelled at by several people to mind his own business.

This group completely stinks. ...but if anyone needs a bundle of mouthwashes for $8, holler.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:56 am 
BAD PASS

Yesterday a friend re-tweeted a tweet-storm/thread from some guy who is apparently offended by the existence of vegans, and the gist was "Ya gotta kill SOMETHING if you wanna eat, be it an animal or a plant, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with eating animals." So I'm trying to imagine the mental gymnastics one has to go through to convince oneself that slaughtering a pig is the exact same as digging up a potato. The replies were just full of people patting themselves on the back and agreeing that they are all totally great people who are doing nothing wrong at all and vegans should really just eat some pigs or something, because there's totally no difference.

But try to tell those same people how similar pigs are to dogs and they get real mad, for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:48 am 
Taco Scientist

Hollie wrote:
Yesterday a friend re-tweeted a tweet-storm/thread from some guy who is apparently offended by the existence of vegans, and the gist was "Ya gotta kill SOMETHING if you wanna eat, be it an animal or a plant, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with eating animals." So I'm trying to imagine the mental gymnastics one has to go through to convince oneself that slaughtering a pig is the exact same as digging up a potato. The replies were just full of people patting themselves on the back and agreeing that they are all totally great people who are doing nothing wrong at all and vegans should really just eat some pigs or something, because there's totally no difference.

But try to tell those same people how similar pigs are to dogs and they get real mad, for some reason.

That's ridiculous. But also, you don't have to kill anything to eat fruit!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:06 pm 
Grandfathered In

Yeah, but also, if there's no difference, what are they so bent out of shape about? Maybe it's that those vegans are, like... getting away with something. They're just as bloodthirsty as everyone else, but no one calls them names?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

A sugar shack offering a vegetarian menu accepts to adapt its menu to vegetarians who are intolerant to dairy and eggs, but not vegans. Uh.

My superior at work was telling me all about how he used to leave one of his female cats tied up outside so she'd get pregnant without having the option of running away from the males. She still managed to fight back the male cats, and he finally gave up and had her spayed. I was horrified.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:20 pm 
BAD PASS

I'm visiting my dad and stepmother in rural-ass Arkansas. We have been playing a fun game of "Well what CAN you eat?" She's making it so much harder than it really is. She keeps offering me non-vegan things then acting surprised to find out I "can't" eat it.

I brought my Instant Pot and made African Peanut Stew. My dad wanted to try it, and my stepmother says, "You're not gonna like it." (RUDE.) and then he said it was good and took another bite and she said "You don't have to pretend to like it. Here, I'll just throw it out" ARE YOU FORKING KIDDING ME? How rude can you BE??? If I wasn't already immune to her, that would have really hurt my feelings. Then she made a big to-do about taking one teeny bite of it, saying she can't eat it because she has a "weak stomach." You have a weak stomach so you can't eat ...non processed food that isn't full of butter and grease? They had box-mix cornbread with hamburger meat and cheese cooked into it for dinner (She called it "Mexican cornbread," but not sure what made it "Mexican" as there were no jalapenos or any other stereotypical Mexican ingredients in it). She tried to get me to try it, even though it contains meat and cheese and she knows I don't eat those things. There are no vegetables in the house.

Also, unrelated to vegan-ness, they have every gift I've ever given them in "my" room here. All the paintings I ever made my dad -- they're on the wall in here. My stepmother keeps asking if I want to take them home with me.

I've never met a person so unaware of how absolutely horribly rude they are.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hollie, wow!! That's so rude! How awful! Who says things like that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

She sounds lovely.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:41 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

That's awful! It would take me a long time to get immune to hurtful behavior like that. I hope she truly is unaware rather than willfully nasty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:16 pm 
BAD PASS

I honestly think she's clueless.

I've been basically on the verge of tears since I got here. There's nothing to do, and my stepmother is nosy and judgmental. Every minor situation turns into a major ordeal (like my choosing a drinking glass from the cabinet, for instance. I was offered my choice of like 5 glasses. Just chose one and then was asked if I was SURE that's the one I wanted because what about this other one, or this one or that one?? JUST TO CHOOSE A DRINKING GLASS!).

I'm really stressed out and on edge and I've been grinding my teeth. I get to leave Wednesday morning. Thank the lard.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Good luck! Only one more day to go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ugh, Hollie, I don't think I would ever get immune to that. She sounds like a real piece of work. At the very least (in regards to scrutinizing everything down to which glass you use) she sounds like someone with a profound need for more important things to think about and do in her life.

Also, I look forward to the day when my kid will make art for me!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 pm 
BAD PASS

I think I had a panic attack today. She had been harassing me about giving her contact numbers for "some of" my friends just in case they ever can't get in touch with me. I know the only reason she asked was to be nosy, because they have never once not been able to get in touch with me. (She already did the "So, is there anybody SPECIAL in your life??" thing the first day) And they have my work number for that. She wouldn't let it go. I went and sat in my car and couldn't breathe and was sobbing and wheezing and crying. I just need to go home. I can leave in the morning. It's going to be much earlier in the morning than previously planned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 728, 729, 730, 731, 732, 733, 734  Next