| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 730, 731, 732, 733, 734  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Today I listened to a friend's girlfriend go on a LONG monologue about how her OTHER vegan friend made her vegan brownies, which was rude because SHE'S not vegan (??), and how they were the WORST BROWNIES EVER, and now she hates all vegan food. This monologue ended with "Unless you'd like to prove me wrong by making me some good vegan brownies?".

What the fork? It's bad enough feeding omnivores when you suspect they're going to silently judge all vegan food on the basis of your dish; why on earth would I put in the effort to change this woman's mind after she's said all that?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Morgyn wrote:
Today I listened to a friend's girlfriend go on a LONG monologue about how her OTHER vegan friend made her vegan brownies, which was rude because SHE'S not vegan (??), and how they were the WORST BROWNIES EVER, and now she hates all vegan food. This monologue ended with "Unless you'd like to prove me wrong by making me some good vegan brownies?".

What the fork? It's bad enough feeding omnivores when you suspect they're going to silently judge all vegan food on the basis of your dish; why on earth would I put in the effort to change this woman's mind after she's said all that?

haha. So it's rude for a vegan to make her vegan brownies, but then she asks a vegan to make her vegan brownies. What?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:58 am 
Grandfathered In

*pounces on every new post in the Foyer*

Hi! What are you guys doing? What's going on?

Anyway, I think she has just hit on a good way to get people to make brownies for her. Does she even have another vegan friend? Have you ever met this so-called other friend?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:06 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, total vegan brownie baiting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:06 pm 
Total Hoover

Yes, she is absolutely after delicious homemade brownies. What a rude way to try to get them though!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:26 pm 
Grandfathered In

Today at boingboing (which has become my ppk substitute—believe me, it's not the same) there was a post about a BuzzFeed cartoon: how to be respectful to your Muslim friends during Ramadan. So, of course (?) one of the first comments was about how some vegans could sure stand to learn a lesson about manners. Even in a progressive place like boingboing, this kind of vegan-baiting is so, so common. I mixed it up with that commenter, but I think I just need to back away.

In conclusion, I still really miss the ppk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:49 am 
BAD PASS

I guess the FB group associated with my meal plan thingy has become my PPK substitute (even though it drastically pales in comparison). Even though the meal plan is vegan, there are a lot of people there for health reasons who are super proud that they're not like all those judgmental ETHICAL vegans. They're so non-judgmental that they talk shiitake about vegans any chance they get, just to prove how nonjudgmental they are. One woman likened ethical vegans to Nazis. Then replied on another post, when a few of us were like "hey could we maybe stop bashing vegans here?" that no one in the group had said anything bad about vegans.

Cool story, bro.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:32 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

^I sadly do not have a PPK substitute.
so I'm kind of lost.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:06 pm 
Grandfathered In

Yeah, it's rough out there. I'm not sure exactly what the PPK has/had that other places don't, but... it's something.

I have no interest at all in meeting any of the boingboingers. I don't feel like I have much in common with them. And it would take so long to establish a rapport or reputation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, I miss the PPK and have not found a substitute besides hanging out with actual PPKers and missing the PPK together.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:51 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

The thing that's hard for me about the PPK is that it's still here. And yet, it's not. The announcement just kind of fractured things in an irreparable way and the fact that it's still here--to see what a ghost town it is--makes it more sad. I wish that it would either come back to life or go away for real.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:11 pm 
Taco Scientist

Maybe we should have a séance?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:18 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

YES! I'll bring the candles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:25 pm 
Grandfathered In

I just saw a video by some prolific vegan youtuber, all about Suicide Food. She borrowed tons of images from my blog, etc. And she barely mentioned the blog at all.

I wrote her this, and now I feel petty. Maybe I overreacted.

Quote:
Hi, there — I'm the creator of suicidefood.blogspot.com (and the coiner of the term "suicide food"). When I saw your video on YouTube today I was happy that the message is still getting out, and I'm delighted that my blog resonated with you. But to tell you the truth, I was a little shocked at how little credit you gave me. You took dozens and dozens of images from my site, along with many of my arguments. (No, I don't own the images either, so I'm not accusing you of taking something that didn't belong to you. They're fair game. But almost everything you cite in your video came from my blog.) Yes, there's a link to Suicide Food buried at the end of the blogpost mentioned in the video's description, but your viewers are left thinking all these arguments are the products of your efforts alone. They're not. I put in countless hours over the five years I spent working on the blog—writing, searching for images, taking pictures, and so on. And this was 10 years ago, when these arguments weren't really out there. It was a labor of love, for which I never got a penny. You're obviously a dedicated person, and you've clearly amassed an awful lot of material on your own. I imagine you have a large audience as a result. I wish you had been a little more upfront in the way you acknowledged the source of the material you used. It wasn't just floating in the ether; I curated it and analyzed it and wrote about it for years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:42 pm 
Taco Scientist

unbelievable

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i don't think that's petty. i think many people assume everything on the internet is free to use and steal however they like. it's not. giving credit isn't hard at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Not petty at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:58 am 
Grandfathered In

Bong Joonho's movie Okja comes out on June 28 on Netflix. (It's about the friendship between a girl and a giant, genetically engineered pig thing. There are some very unpleasant slaughterhouse scenes in it, and a strong strain of animal rights in the movie.) There was a piece about it in the New York Times today, and I was struck by the same thing I'm always struck by: the self-congratulatory attitudes of the people who made the movie. In talking about how the themes affected them, most of them are quick to point out that they stopped eating meat. Sort of. Or for a little while. There's this weird straddling-the-line that always happens. They want you to know that they're sensitive and decent enough to have been affected and to have changed as a result. But they also want you to know they're wise enough to have stayed true to themselves. And they project this Embracing the Paradox kind of thing that drives me up the wall.

I get it: not everyone will go vegan. Not everyone experiences things the same way and makes the same choices. But stop patting yourselves on the back for it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:03 am 
BAD PASS

It's not new, but today I keep seeing the term "grass-fed" when talking about the food itself, not the animal. "Grass fed cheese" and "grass fed whey."

Oh, shut up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:10 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

FootFace wrote:
I just saw a video by some prolific vegan youtuber, all about Suicide Food. She borrowed tons of images from my blog, etc. And she barely mentioned the blog at all.

This makes me so angry. Back when I taught writing, it got to where I'd have to search on random text strings from almost every paper, spot checking for plagiarism from internet pages. It was SO common! (It still is, I assume, but I quit teaching and work with adults now as a tech writer, mostly PhDs, and they are much less apt to steal.)

This person probably thought that since your blog hadn't been updated in a few years, you'd moved on from the topic and wouldn't notice. I'm glad you wrote her about how it had affected you. Maybe she'll be less likely to do it again in the future.

You said that you're glad that the message is getting another audience, but you could fill out a copyright infringement report to YouTube. IANAL but websites that publish original content are inherently copyrighted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:57 pm 
Grandfathered In

She didn't plagiarize me. She just, like... took my arguments and examples and (kind of) pretended they were hers. I don't think what she did was (or should be) illegal. It just seemed shitty. Her entire video was based on my blog, but she didn't take my words or use any images I own the copyright to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The "veganism cures everything" crowd is really really grating on me at the moment. You follow some nice, friendly, vegan person and then they come out with "being vegan cures cancer" or similar. Ugh go away.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:37 am 
BAD PASS

Two grown-ass men from Muncie, Indiana have joined the Northwest Indiana Vegans Facebook group to continuously post pictures of bloody meat and memes about how annoying vegans are.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:17 am 
BAD PASS

This woman I used to dog sit for so regularly I had my own room in her condo several years ago has become super irritating on social media and I want to unfriend/unfollow her but I really like her as a person, and I love her dog and really want to see him again, so I don't want to lose touch. But she's apparently become staunchly anti-vegan (she was never vegan or even vegetarian, but has always been very involved in rescues and shelter benefits. She continuously fosters for a dachshund rescue). She posted every dish of some kind of mega extravagant dinner she went to that included foie gras and some kind of chicken dish about which she made jokes about how the chickens must have been lined up to give their bodies willingly to become this dish because it was that good (oh yes, sure). That part was eyeroll-worthy, but then she started posting pictures of vegan restaurants and food trucks with "hilarious" captions like "HARD PASS" and "BARF" (no food was pictured -- just pics of the outsides of the places centered on the word "VEGAN") while all her friends jumped in to agree and post laughing or green/sick emojis. Cool man.

And WE'RE supposed to be the obnoxious ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:40 pm 
Grandfathered In

Vegans are always obnoxious, over there being... that way.

Seriously, this kind of aggression and contempt have to be covering up something. Otherwise, what the hell's the point? Food with NO meat in it is gross? As a basic proposition, that doesn't even make sense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 730, 731, 732, 733, 734  Next